Connect with us

Published

on

One Direction star Liam Payne has called off his engagement to US model Maya Henry, less than a year after they announced it.

He confirmed the split while appearing on The Diary Of A CEO podcast, revealing it had happened during lockdown.

Payne said he is “disappointed” in himself for “hurting people”, and that he is “working” on his emotions.

Liam Payne and Maya Henry at a Halloween party hosted by Jonathan Ross at his house in north London.
Image:
The pair were first pictured together publicly in 2019

The pair were first snapped together in 2019 at a number of public events, before announcing their engagement in August 2020.

He told podcast host Steven Bartlett: “I feel like, more than anything at this point, I’m more disappointed in myself [that] I keep on hurting people. That annoys me.

“I’ve just not been very good at relationships and I know what my pattern of things is with relationships at this point.

More on Liam Payne

“I’m just not very good at them so I just need to work on myself before I put myself on to somebody else.”

He added: “That’s where I got to in my last relationship. I just wasn’t giving a very good version of me anymore, that I didn’t appreciate and I didn’t like being.

“I can honestly say I feel better out of it. I didn’t feel good doing what I did but it had to happen. That’s just the corniest way of saying it was the best for us both – whatever, cool, nice story, bro.

“But it just feels like that. I know it was a problem so I need to sort myself. I already feel good. It has already got me more concentrated and I hope she is happy.”

Subscribe to the Backstage podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

The 27-year-old previously dated Girls Aloud singer Cheryl between 2016 and 2018, with their son Bear born in March 2017.

One Direction shocked the world by splitting up in 2016 to go on an indefinite hiatus, with the group’s members going on to have a number of solo projects each.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Jeff Stelling: Tributes to Sky Sports presenter following his final Soccer Saturday

Published

on

By

Jeff Stelling: Tributes to Sky Sports presenter following his final Soccer Saturday

Tributes have poured in for Sky Sports presenter Jeff Stelling following his final Soccer Saturday show.

The 68-year-old marked his departure with an emotional farewell – which included the revelation that he had received a surprise phone call from Elton John.

Stelling said he was left “starstruck” when the legendary singer – once the owner of Watford football club – rang him at home to wish him well ahead of his final Soccer Saturday appearance.

“Elton John rang me this week,” Stelling said.

“Someone asked me the other day if I have ever been starstruck, and yeah… I was starstruck when Elton John rang me at home to say ‘thank you very much for all you have done’.

“He (Elton) said to me: ‘Every week I watch the show and every week you tell me Watford are losing, and every week you tell me Hartlepool (the team Stelling supports) are losing – so I feel like we are kindred spirits’.”

Following a celebratory montage and round of applause at the end of Sunday’s Soccer Special programme, Stelling joked: “Thanks for the applause. I mean this is tricky because I’ve changed my mind.”

More on Football

Stelling paid tribute to all those who work on the show, including the call centre staff, runners, production crew and commentators.

He said: “It’s a team game.”

Stelling said his time at Sky had been “absolutely wonderful”.

He added: “It’s been the best job that anybody could possibly wish for.

“My wife Lizzie takes great pleasure in saying ‘you’re the luckiest man ever to take a breath’. And you know what, I don’t tell her this often but she’s right.”

Stelling ended the show by paying tribute to the viewers for their incredible support.

Jeff Stelling has worked his final Soccer Saturday
Image:
Jeff Stelling has worked his final Soccer Saturday

Stelling last month announced his intention to step down after more than 30 years at Sky and 25 years at the helm of the flagship football results show.

He said it was the “right time” to move on and give Sky Sports viewers a break from his “relentless rants, bad gags and over-the-top celebrations of Hartlepool United goals”.

Well-wishers took to social media to pay tribute.

Son Robbie posted: “Well done dad, so proud of you.

“You’ve put your heart and soul into the show and have no doubt left a mark on more than just the world of football.

“As a father and broadcaster, you have taught me so much about football and life.

“You are the best there has ever been.”

Piers Morgan tweeted: “Very few people get to leave a long-running job in TV whilst still at the absolute peak of their powers – but Jeff Stelling just did it.

“Thanks for all the fun, excitement, entertainment and incredible professionalism, Jeff – you’ll be greatly missed.”

Former This Morning presenter Eamonn Holmes tweeted: “Jeff Stelling… Do something you love and you will never work a day in your life. You have never worked. You are The Goat. Respect. Enjoy the next chapter.”

LBC presenter Iain Dale thanked Stelling for “hours and hours of tremendous sports broadcasting”.

He added: “Few people should ever be described as ‘total legends’ but Jeff really is one. Every football fan’s best friend.”

FootballJOE posted: “Twenty-five years of some of the best laughs on telly. Thanks for being the voice and face of football on a Saturday.”

Hartlepool United wished fan Stelling “all the best”, adding: “Our local hero.”

FC Halifax Town joked: “All the best in your retirement. You’re always welcome to Halifax vs Hartlepool next season, we will try not to call it off twice this time.”

NFL UK said “congrats on an incredible stint”, declaring: “You’ll be missed from our screens.”

On Friday, Prostate Cancer UK thanked Stelling for wearing the charity’s badge for the past eight seasons.

A spokesperson added: “You have shared our message to millions of football fans, many of whom have been at risk of prostate cancer.”

Stelling’s charity football march for Prostate Cancer UK will take place this September.

Jeff Stelling to march from Wycombe to Wembley for Prostate Cancer UK - Adams Park
Jeff Stelling poses for the media at Adams Park, Wycombe. Picture date: Monday March 13, 2023
Image:
Jeff Stelling’s Football March for Prostate Cancer UK will take place later this year

TV presenter Chris Kamara also posted an early tribute, describing Stelling as the “best broadcaster” he has ever met.

In the post on Thursday, he said: “I am getting my tribute in early because Jeff has been a massive part of my life and I love him to bits.

“One of the things I do miss is working with the maestro. There will never be another. You are ‘Unbelievable Jeff’ – and always will be.”

Stelling joined Sky in 1992. He was also the main host for the broadcaster’s live Champions League coverage between 2011 and 2015.

He previously announced plans to leave Soccer Saturday at the end of the 2021/22 campaign but stayed for another season.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Stelling announcing his decision to step down

Gary Hughes, Sky Sports’ director of football, previously said: “Jeff has been synonymous with Saturday afternoon football for decades, exciting and enthusing football fans everywhere.

“His unique broadcasting ability and passion for the game has made Soccer Saturday an unmissable fixture for fans and has won him a multitude of awards.

“He will be sorely missed.”

Continue Reading

Entertainment

This Morning to return today after Phillip Schofield controversy – with Alison Hammond and Dermot O’Leary as presenters

Published

on

By

This Morning to return today after Phillip Schofield controversy - with Alison Hammond and Dermot O'Leary as presenters

This Morning will return to TV screens today, in the wake of the Phillip Schofield controversy.

Alison Hammond and Dermot O’Leary will present the ITV daytime show from 10am – the first time it has aired since ex-presenter Mr Schofield’s admitted an affair with a younger male colleague.

It also comes after former This Morning TV doctor, Ranj Singh, hit out at the “toxic culture” at the show.

Last Saturday, Schofield announced he would be leaving This Morning after 20 years at the helm following reports his relationship with co-host Holly Willoughby had become strained.

Less than a week later, on Friday, Schofield released a statement admitting an “unwise, but not illegal” affair with a “much younger man” and announced he was stepping down from ITV completely.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘Toxic culture’ at ITV show

He also admitted he lied about the affair to ITV bosses, his agents and the media, resulting in the channel saying it was “deeply disappointed by the admissions of deceit” and his management company YMU Group dropping him.

ITV confirmed on Saturday they had investigated “rumours of a relationship” in 2020 but the pair repeatedly denied the affair.

Ms Willoughby said the admission was “very hurtful“.

Holly Willoughby (left) and Phillip Schofield attending the launch of Dancing On Ice 2020, held at Bovingdon Airfield, Hertfordshire. PA Photo. Picture date: Monday December 9, 2019. See PA story SHOWBIZ Ice. Photo credit should read: Ian West/PA Wire.
Image:
Willoughby and Schofield’s relationship had reportedly become strained

On Sunday, Dr Ranj claimed he was managed out after taking his concerns about the “toxic culture” at This Morning to Emma Gormley, the head of ITV Daytime.

“I was on the show for 10 years and I genuinely loved and valued working there,” he said in a post on Twitter

“However, over time I grew increasingly worried about things behind the scenes and how people, including myself, were being treated.

“I didn’t know the truth about what was going on with Phillip, but I do know the issues with This Morning go far beyond him. It takes more than one person to create a culture.”

Dr Ranj with Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield on This Morning in 2020 Pic: ITV/Shutterstock
Image:
Dr Ranj with Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield on This Morning in 2020 Pic: ITV/Shutterstock

Dr Ranj said he “did what I thought was right” and made a complaint about This Morning editor Martin Frizzell’s behaviour, adding “especially given that my job is to look after people’s wellbeing and I had been heavily involved in diversity, anti-bullying and mental health projects across the channel”.

“I then found myself being used less and less,” he said.

“I even took my concerns directly to the top of ITV: the culture at This Morning had become toxic, no longer aligned with ITV values, and I felt like because I whistle-blew I was managed out.

“But as history and experience have taught us, things like bullying and discrimination are very hard to prove, particularly in hindsight and when the ‘people in power’ control the narrative. As we’ve seen, no review or investigation is foolproof.

“I haven’t worked on the show since… and I’m not the only one who has spoken up or experienced similar,” he added.

“That was two years ago and, frankly, it still hurts. The whole process was pretty heart-breaking and even affected my mental health. But I’m happy to say I’ve found my feet again, know my worth and have found my tribe.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Dermot O’Leary on Phillip Schofield

Schofield controversy latest:
ITV says it has ‘no plans’ to axe This Morning

Timeline of departure and rumours of rift with co-host Holly
Admission should kill Schofield’s career – but will star pals stand by him?

He continued: “There are some good people in TV, but we need to be brave and stand up to those who aren’t. Even if it’s scary as hell, we have to do the right thing otherwise nothing will change. I sincerely hope something good comes from all this.”

He also added in the post’s caption that “there is so much more” he could say.

ITV’s director of television Kevin Lygo told Sky News on Sunday that “no mistakes” were made in the 2020 investigation while newspapers reported that the channel was considering axing the programme.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘No mistakes’ were made says ITV boss

An ITV spokesperson said: “We are sorry to read Dr Ranj’s post today.

“At ITV we are fully committed to providing every opportunity for anyone who works with us to raise any concern or comments they may have.

“Following a complaint made by Dr Ranj, we appointed an external and independent advisor to carry out a review. This external review found no evidence of bullying or discrimination.”

Several television personalities including Denise van Outen, Laura Whitmore, Carol Vorderman and former Loose Women panellist Saira Khan left messages of support on his Instagram post with the same statement.

An ITV spokesperson earlier told Sky News they carried out an external review following a complaint made by Dr Ranj, and it “found no evidence to support the complaint of bullying”.

Dr Ranj starting working on This Morning in 2016 and now appears on BBC’s Morning Live.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Phillip Schofield: Ex-This Morning star Dr Ranj Singh criticises ‘toxic culture’ at ITV show and claims he was ‘managed out’

Published

on

By

Phillip Schofield: Ex-This Morning star Dr Ranj Singh criticises 'toxic culture' at ITV show and claims he was 'managed out'

Former This Morning star Dr Ranj Singh has spoken out in the wake of the Phillip Schofield controversy and hit out at the “toxic culture” at the ITV daytime show.

He claimed he was “managed out” after taking his concerns to Emma Gormley, the head of ITV Daytime.

“I was on the show for 10 years and I genuinely loved and valued working there,” he said in a post on Twitter.

“However, over time I grew increasingly worried about things were behind the scenes and how people including myself, were being treated.

“I didn’t know the truth about what was going on with Philip [sic], but I do know the issues with TM [This Morning] go far beyond him. It takes more than one person to create a culture.”

Dr Ranj said he “did what I thought was right” and made a complaint about This Morning editor Martin Frizell’s behaviour, adding “especially given that my job is to look after people’s wellbeing and I had been heavily involved in diversity, anti-bullying and mental health projects across the channel”.

“I then found myself being used less and less,” he said.

More from Ents & Arts

“I even took my concerns directly to the top of ITV: the culture at This Morning had become toxic, no longer aligned with ITV values, and I felt like because I whistle-blew I was managed out.

“But as history and experience have taught us, things like bullying and discrimination are very hard to prove, particularly in hindsight and when the ‘people in power’ control the narrative. As we’ve seen, no review or investigation is foolproof.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘No mistakes’ were made says ITV boss

“I haven’t worked on the show since… and I’m not the only one who has spoken up or experienced similar,” he added.

“That was two years ago and, frankly, it still hurts. The whole process was pretty heart-breaking and even affected my mental health. But I’m happy to say I’ve found my feet again, know my worth and have found my tribe.

He continued: “There are some good people in TV, but we need to be brave and stand up to those who aren’t. Even if it’s scary as hell, we have to do the right thing otherwise nothing will change. I sincerely hope something good comes from all this.”

He also added in the post’s caption that “there is so much more” he could say.

An ITV spokesperson earlier confirmed to Sky News they carried out an external review following a complaint made by Dr Ranj, and it “found no evidence to support the complaint of bullying”.

It comes as ITV confirmed that Alison Hammond and Dermot O’Leary will present the show tomorrow after days of significant revelations about ex-presenter Phillip Schofield’s behaviour and the culture on set.

Last Saturday, Phillip Schofield announced he would be leaving This Morning after 20 years at the helm following reports his relationship with co-host Holly Willoughby had become strained.

Less than a week later, Schofield released a statement admitting an “unwise, but not illegal” affair with a “much younger man” and announced he was stepping down from ITV completely.

He also admitted he lied about the affair to ITV bosses, his agents and the media, resulting in the channel saying the were “deeply disappointed by the admissions of deceit” and the management company YMU Group dropping him.

ITV confirmed on Saturday they had investigated “rumours of a relationship” but the pair repeatedly denied the affair.

Ms Willoughby said the admission was “very hurtful” while other TV personalities including Eamonn Holmes and Andrea Catherwood hit out at ITV executives.

Continue Reading

Trending