Connect with us

Published

on

A healthcare assistant working on a COVID ward has been convicted of using a dead patient’s bank card to buy crisps, fizzy drinks and sweets from a hospital vending machine.

Ayesha Basharat, 23, took the card from an 83-year-old woman who had recently passed away at Heartlands Hospital in Birmingham.

A doctor recorded her time of death as 1.56pm on 24 January, but just 17 minutes later, Basharat made six £1 purchases using the vending machine’s contactless payment system.

Ayesha Basharat was given a suspended jail term. Pic: West Midlands Police
Image:
Ayesha Basharat was given a suspended jail term after admitting theft and fraud by false representation. Pic: West Midlands Police

She then made another £1 purchase later in the evening, and then tried again twice when she went back to work four days later – but the card had been cancelled by the family by that point.

Basharat, of Farm Road, Birmingham, was arrested during her shift on 28 January on Ward One, and still had the patient’s card on her.

She initially told police that she had found the card on the floor, and got it “muddled up” with her own card when it came to paying for the snacks.

Basharat appeared at Birmingham Crown Court on Wednesday, where the jury heard that the cards were different colours, and that she had ignored the rules around patient lost property.

More on Birmingham

She admitted theft and fraud by false representation, and was given two, five-month jail terms to run concurrently, suspended for 18 months.

Investigating officer DC Andrew Snowdon, from West Midlands Police CID, said: “This was an abhorrent breach of trust and distressing for the victim’s family.

“They were having to come to terms with the death of a loved one from COVID when they found the bank card missing – and then of course the realisation that the card was taken by someone who should have been caring for her.

“Our Hospital Liaison Officer worked closely with Heartlands security team to gather evidence in this case. I’d like to thank them and the victim’s family for their support during the investigation.

“I wish the family all the best for the future and with this conviction hope they can move on from this upsetting episode.”

Continue Reading

UK

Prince William calls for improved online safety after coroner’s ruling in Molly Russell death

Published

on

By

Prince William calls for improved online safety after coroner's ruling in Molly Russell death

Prince William has called for improved online safety for children after a coroner ruled social media contributed to the death of 14-year-old Molly Russell.

The Prince of Wales said: “No parent should ever have to endure what Ian Russell and his family have been through. They have been so incredibly brave. Online safety for our children and young people needs to be a prerequisite, not an afterthought.”

The schoolgirl from Harrow, northwest London, was found dead in her bedroom after viewing content related to suicide, depression and anxiety online.

Andrew Walker, the coroner, said he did not “think it would be safe” to give suicide as her cause of death, instead opting for self-harm.

Giving his findings on Friday, he said: “Molly was at a transition period in her young life which made certain elements of communication difficult.”

She was “exposed to material that may have influenced her in a negative way and, in addition, what had started as a depression had become a more serious depressive illness”, he told North London Coroners Court.

Continue Reading

UK

Man, 40, arrested in connection with murder of Olivia Pratt-Korbel

Published

on

By

Man, 40, arrested in connection with murder of Olivia Pratt-Korbel

Detectives have made another arrest in connection with the murder of nine-year-old Olivia Pratt-Korbel in Liverpool.

The 40-year-old man from Dovecot was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender on Friday.

It comes a day after a 34-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of her murder.

The arrest of the 40-year-old is the eleventh arrest in the investigation so far. He remains in custody at a police station for questioning.

The nine other people arrested during the investigation have all been released on bail and no one has been charged.

Olivia was shot dead in Dovecot on 22 August after a gunman entered her home at around 10pm while chasing his intended target.

The girl was struck in the chest after the gunman opened fire, while her mother was injured after being hit in the wrist by the same bullet.

Continue Reading

UK

Suspected remains linked to Moors murders being investigated by police

Published

on

By

Suspected remains linked to Moors murders being investigated by police

Suspected human remains have been found in the search for the final victim of the Moors murderers Ian Brady and Myra Hindley.

The remains were found by an author who had been researching the murder of Keith Bennett, a 12-year-old boy who went missing in 1964 and whose body has never been found.

His findings were reported to Greater Manchester Police (GMP), which confirmed it was investigating.

Ian Brady died before revealing where he had buried Keith
Image:
The body of Keith Bennett has never been found

Martin Bottomley, its review officer, said the author had “discovered what he believes are potential human remains in a remote location on the Moors”.

He met with officers on Thursday afternoon to take them to the site of interest, which was assessed that night.

“This morning, specialist officers have begun initial exploration activity,” Mr Bottomley said.

“It is far too early to be certain whether human remains have been discovered and this is expected to take some time.”

Keith’s surviving brother has been told about the investigation, the force said.

It could be a major breakthrough in a case that has been open since the early 1960s.

The final, undiscovered, victim

Brady and his accomplice Hindley sexually assaulted, tortured and murdered five children over two years in the 1960s.

She died in prison in 2002 and he in 2017.

Ian Brady, in a police car prior to his sentencing
Image:
Ian Brady, in a police car before his sentencing

Read more:
The victims of Ian Brady and Myra Hindley
Brady and Hindley’s bitter war of words revealed
‘My lucky escape’ from clutches of Moors murderers

The bodies of four of their victims were found buried on Saddleworth Moor in the south Pennines, but Keith’s remains have never been found.

He was taken on 16 June 1964 after going to visit his grandmother.

Brady and Hindley’s other victims were Pauline Reade, 16, who disappeared on her way to a disco on 12 July 1963; John Kilbride, 12, who was snatched in November the same year; Lesley Ann Downey, 10, who was lured away from a funfair on Boxing Day 1964; and Edward Evans, 17, who was axed to death in October 1965.

Brady confessed to Keith’s murder, but claimed he could not remember where he was buried.

He died at Ashworth High-Security Hospital in Merseyside, where he had been imprisoned since 1985.

Winnie Johnson never gave up hope her son would be found - but died before his remains were discovered
Image:
Winnie Johnson never gave up hope her son would be found – but died before his remains were discovered

48 years fighting for justice

Keith’s mother, Winnie Johnson, spent her life tirelessly fighting for justice and the right to give her son a Christian burial.

The former hospital worker and mother of nine died of bowel cancer in 2012 without knowing what had happened to him.

Mrs Johnson, who was a single mother, made a final plea to Brady in the weeks before her death to tell her where her son’s body was.

Winnie searching for her son in 1988
Image:
Winnie searching for her son in 1988

Speaking after her death, her friend Pam Ayres said: “She never gave up, I expect to her dying breath she wouldn’t have given up. Certainly, with every bit of her spirit and her will, she wouldn’t rescind that power to those people who took him.”

John Ainley, the lawyer for Keith’s brother, Alan, said he had spoken to him about the development.

“My client is keeping an open mind on the latest report having regard to earlier such reports that have raised expectations but not resulted in finding Keith’s body.

“Naturally, the family are hoping that Keith has been found after all these years and their tireless efforts to find closure.

“I understand Greater Manchester Police are investigating a site of interest but that it will take some weeks to establish whether there is a connection with Keith.”

Continue Reading

Trending