Connect with us

Published

on

close video GOP mega-donor urges Trump to drop out of 2024 race

Point Bridge Capital founder Hal Lambert explains why he shifted support from former President Donald Trump to Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis in a FOX Business exclusive.

Ahead of Gov. Ron DeSantis' anticipated announcement this week, a GOP mega-donor is throwing his support toward the Florida Republican instead of former President Donald Trump.

Point Bridge Capital founder Hal Lambert explained in a FOX Business exclusive interview why he believes it's "time [for the Republican Party] to move on" to younger leadership.

"There's a number of reasons," Lambert said Tuesday on "Cavuto: Coast to Coast." "One, Donald Trump can only serve one term. He'll effectively be a lame duck almost on day one, if he were to win. But I don't think he can win the general [election]. That's the No. 2 reason. I don't think he can win the general.

"It's time to move on to the next generation. And Gov. DeSantis has a vision forward versus hashing out things from the past."

DESANTIS LANDS ENDORSEMENT FROM MAGA MEGA-DONOR

Lambert had served on Trump's inaugural committee in 2016. In addition, he founded Point Bridge Capital, also known as "MAGA ETF," as an exchange-traded fund that invests only in companies with employees and political action committees that support Republican candidates.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, left, is expected to announce a 2024 presidential bid this week as donors begin to rally support for the Republican governor. (Mark Wilson/Getty Images / Getty Images)

After going public with his candidate decision Monday, Lambert explained his rationale for supporting DeSantis.

"I like Donald Trump's policies. I like what he did. I'm basing it on bringing the country back together," Lambert said. "[Trump] is so divisive right now. If he were the nominee, this would be another situation where we're going to have the country, our own country, battling internally against each other in a way that's not healthy. … I don't think it's healthy for the country to have to go through this in 2024 unnecessarily.

"We have a candidate in Ron DeSantis that can win, that has a record, that's conservative, that's the next generation. Why go through this unnecessary kind of hatred of each other in the country?"

DESANTIS TOUTS FLORIDA'S LOW UNEMPLOYMENT RATE, INSISTS STATE IS ‘OUTPERFORMING THE NATION’

In a Harvard CAPS/Harris poll from last week, 58% of Republican voters favored Trump, while 16% supported DeSantis for the GOP nomination. Lambert argues that Trump has "peaked" in the polls, and DeSantis is poised to close the gap quickly.

“It’s time to move on to the next generation. And Gov. DeSantis has a vision forward versus hashing out things from the past.” Hal Lambert

"I don't think that's that great in the Republican primary. I mean, he's the former president and yet basically half of the party would prefer someone else," Lambert said.

He also said DeSantis brings a positive conservative record on which to run, especially in light of his second-term gubernatorial victory in the 2022 election, which he sealed by almost 20 points.

"He's done it because he's been a good governor, and he's got a lot of legislation passed, whether it's on schools and having freedom of school choice, whether it's on immigration, whether it's on mundane things like insurance reform. He's done a lot of great things in Florida. So, he has a record. He's been able to get things done, and he'll run on that," Lambert said. close video DeSantis has ‘long coattails, Donald Trump doesn’t’: Eberhart

Canary CEO Dan Eberhart joined Varney & Co. to discuss why he’s supporting Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and to weigh in on the government attempting to replenish the emergency oil reserve.

Lambert also weighed in on the governor's feud with Disney in the Sunshine State. In response to the ongoing legal tussle, Disney recently announced it is scratching plans for a new campus in Orlando that would have brought some 2,000 jobs to the state as part of a roughly $1 billion investment.Stocks in this Article DIS THE WALT DISNEY CO. $89.07 -0.75 (-0.84%)

DeSantis has faced criticism for the Disney battle, but Lambert said the move is simply a "state issue" that would not be a problem at the federal level.

"I don't think [DeSantis] would ever do this at a federal level, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it. But states have a right to work with the companies that are in their state," he said.

DISNEY SCRAPS $1B FLORIDA DEVELOPMENT AS WAR WITH DESANTIS RAGES ON

"The fact that they're not going to have 2,000 additional employees of Disney in the state, I don't think it's going to move the needle. It's a headline. And I don't think that he's going to back away from the stance on Disney."

In outlining his support for DeSantis, Lambert urged Trump to "drop out" of the 2024 race.

"I think Donald Trump should drop out of the race, quite frankly, for the better of the country," he said.

"Everyone said in 2016 he couldn't get elected, but he was running against Hillary Clinton, which people hated. People hated Hillary Clinton. Even her own party didn't really like her. It's kind of a similar situation. So, Trump wasn't hated in 2016 by the left the way he is today," he said. "The big difference is the four years that he served and then afterward and what's going on, he's created a situation where many, many people simply hate him, and he's not going to win them over." close video Republican nominee will either be Trump or DeSantis: Soave

“Kennedy” panelists Leslie Marshall, Charlie Hurt and Robby Soave discuss Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C., announcing his bid for the Republican presidential nomination.

Fox News Digital reached out to Trump and his campaign but did not immediately hear back.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE ON FOX BUSINESS

Lambert said he plans to do "everything I can" to help DeSantis get the Republican nomination once he formally announces his bid this week.

"If you look at a DeSantis-versus-Biden, it's a very stark contrast," he said. "It's the next generation moving forward. I think that's what the American people are ultimately going to decide that they want to have. I just don't think we want to see a Biden-Trump re-election battle."

Fox News' Patrick Hauf and FOX Business' Paul Steinhauser, Andrew Murray and Breck Dumas contributed to this report.

Continue Reading

Politics

Mayor of London has confidence in Met Police chief – after force apologises for officer’s ‘openly Jewish’ comments

Published

on

By

Mayor of London has confidence in Met Police chief - after force apologises for officer's 'openly Jewish' comments

Sadiq Khan has confidence in Met Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley despite him facing calls to quit over the force’s handling of a recent pro-Palestine protest, Sky News understands.

It comes after Energy Secretary Claire Coutinho told Sky News that the incident in London – in which an officer was captured on video calling a man “openly Jewish” and threatening him with arrest – was “completely wrong” and that “what happens next” with regard to Sir Mark was a “matter for the Labour London mayor”.

Sky News understands that Sir Mark does still retain the confidence of Mr Khan, who as mayor has the power to effectively sack the commissioner – but can only do so with the permission of the home secretary, who can also require the mayor to dismiss the head of the Met.

Politics latest: Truss admits changing mind on net zero

A spokesperson for the London mayor said: “Everybody must feel safe going about in London wherever they please. The way the original incident was dealt with by the Met was concerning and the original response put out by them was insensitive and wrong.

“The Met have an extremely difficult job – particularly so when it comes to operational decisions taken while policing marches.

“But in the end the Met must have the confidence of the communities they serve and it is right that they have apologised for the way the incident was handled and their original public response.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Coutinho: Met has ‘got it wrong’

Mr Rowley, who replaced Cressida Dick as Met commissioner in 2022, is facing calls to quit following the officer’s interaction with Gideon Falter, the chief executive of the Campaign Against Antisemitism.

In the video, an officer appears to prevent Mr Falter from crossing the road and tells him: “You are quite openly Jewish. This is a pro-Palestinian march. I am not accusing you of anything, but I am worried about the reaction to your presence.”

Mr Falter, who was wearing a yarmulke and said he was simply walking past after attending synagogue, was then threatened with arrest if he did not leave the area.

He told Sky News that Londoners cannot have confidence in the Met under Sir Mark’s leadership and accused the commissioner of “victim blaming” following the incident, for which he has received two apologies.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

New video of ‘openly Jewish’ row

Mr Falter was joined in his call for Sir Mark to go by former home secretary Suella Braverman, who said there had been “failure after failure by the Met” over the last six months.

In an interview with Sunday Morning with Trevor Phillips, Ms Coutinho repeatedly declined to say whether Sir Mark should quit following the incident, but said what happened was “completely wrong”.

“It’s not right that one group of people in society should be told they can’t go around their daily lives because it might be a provocation to someone else,” she said.

“That’s not how equality works in this country.

“So I do think they’ve got it wrong. I think it’s right that they’ve apologised, and ultimately, what happens next is a matter for the Labour London Mayor who has the responsibility to hold the Met to account.”

On Sunday morning, the Board of Deputies of British Jews issued a statement in which it called for an “urgent meeting” with Sir Mark following “a series of high-profile errors” regarding its policing of pro-Palestine marches.

Read more:
Sunak pledges to keep child benefit cap
Truss refuses to apologise for sparking mortgage rate rise

“The Metropolitan Police has made a series of high-profile errors in their responses to these demonstrations,” the statement read.

“The entirely avoidable mistakes have had a devastating effect on the previously high level of trust held by the UK’s Jewish community in the police.

“We have written to the commissioner to ask for an urgent meeting to reinforce the gravity of the situation and to begin to repair this grievous loss of confidence.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Met resignation is ‘not the way forward’

Labour’s shadow justice secretary Shabana Mahmood said the Met had “not covered themselves in glory” over the incident with Mr Falter but that she did not agree with calls for Sir Mark to resign.

“I can understand the strength of feeling and as I say that footage was very concerning, and I can understand where Mr Falter is coming from,” she told Sunday Morning with Trevor Phillips.

“But I don’t think that the resignation of the Met’s commissioner is the way forward.”

Continue Reading

World

Sydney stabbings attack: Hundreds of mourners gather at candlelight vigil

Published

on

By

Sydney stabbings attack: Hundreds of mourners gather at candlelight vigil

Mourners gathered to pay tribute to the six killed in a stabbing at an Australian shopping mall.

New South Wales Police identified the man behind the attack at the Westfield Shopping Centre in Bondi Junction on 13 April as Joel Cauchi, 40.

He was shot and killed by an officer after fatally stabbing six people – five women and one man – and injuring several others, including a nine-month-old baby.

Eight days after the attack, hundreds gathered for a candlelight vigil on Bondi Beach in Sydney, where Australian prime minister Anthony Albanese paid respects to those killed.

Anthony Albanese addresses a candlelight vigil at Sydney's Bondi Beach. Pic: AP
Image:
.Pic: AP

Pic: AP
Image:
Pic: AP

Mr Albanese said the gathering was “to grieve for all that has been stolen from us”.

“All that has been stolen from us, all the possibility and potential, all the kindness and humanity, all the love and laughter of the six lives snatched away,” the prime minister added.

“To honour all they were and respect all they meant, all the years of joy they should have known, all the memories they should have a chance to make.”

Pic: AP
Image:
Pic: AP

Mourners hold candles at a vigil for victims of the Bondi shopping mall stabbing. Pic: AP
Image:
Pic: AP

After Mr Albanese’s speech, the crowd took part in a minute’s silence before New South Wales (NSW) premier Chris Minns said “this week we saw a single bouquet left on Oxford Street grow into a sea of flowers”.

He also said the vigil would be an opportunity to “stand by those that have lost loved ones and remember those that have been killed.”

Amy Scott, the NSW police officer who killed Cauchi, was in attendance in the vigil.

Amy Scott, who shot and killed the Sydney stabbing attacker, at the vigil. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Pic: Reuters

Amy Scott at the Community Candlelight Vigil with other police officers. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Pic: Reuters

Five of the six killed were women, and authorities previously said they are looking into the possibility that Cauchi targeted women in the attack.

NSW officials named the victims as Ashlee Good, 38, Dawn Singleton, 25, Jade Young, 47, Pikria Darchia, 55, Cheng Yixuan, 25 and on-duty Westfield security guard Faraz Tahir, 30.

Read more from Sky News:
‘A very sick boy’: Attacker’s parents apologise
Thousands in Canary Islands call for limit on tourism

(Clockwise) Yixuan Cheng, Dawn Singleton, Ashlee Good, Faraz Tahir, Pikria Darchia and  Jade Young
Image:
(Clockwise) Yixuan Cheng, Dawn Singleton, Ashlee Good, Faraz Tahir, Pikria Darchia and Jade Young

Ms Good tried to save her nine-month-old baby Harriet when she was attacked by the 40-year-old – who suffered from schizophrenia.

She was said to have passed her baby to two men after she was badly injured.

It comes after NSW health minister Ryan Park shared on Sunday evening that the baby has been released from hospital.

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

“I can confirm the child who has been receiving care at Sydney Children’s Hospital following last weekend’s tragic events at Bondi Junction has been discharged home,” he said in a statement.

“She continues to receive care from the expert clinicians at Sydney Children’s Hospital.”

Continue Reading

Environment

Tesla lowers price of ‘Full Self-Driving’ to $8,000, down from $12,000

Published

on

By

Tesla lowers price of 'Full Self-Driving' to ,000, down from ,000

Tesla has once again lowered the price of its Full Self-Driving software by $4,000, now costing $8,000, down from a previous price of $12,000 in the US.

Prices were also lowered in Canada, where the system used to cost $16,000CAD, and now costs $11,000CAD.

In addition to the price drop, Tesla has eliminated “Enhanced Autopilot” as an option, which previously cost $6,000. For owners who already have enhanced autopilot, the cost to upgrade to FSD is now $2,000, down from $6,000.

Tesla has been doing a lot of price cuts lately, including dropping the price of most of its vehicles by $2,000 just a day ago.

It also cut the price of its FSD subscription service in half, to $99/mo, just a couple weeks ago.

That new subscription price suddenly made FSD’s $12k price seem quite steep, as someone would need to subscribe to FSD for ten whole years before paying $12k in total cost – and that’s not including the time value of money.

So it seemed inevitable that people would lean towards subscriptions, rather than upfront purchases, after that price drop.

Now, to make the prices a little closer, Tesla dropped the price of FSD to $8,000 – or 6 2/3 years worth of subscriptions at $99/mo. A little more reasonable, though still longer than many people own a car (and, again, one should account for the time value of money).

All of these prices are down significantly from the highest price FSD has ever sold for, which was $15k from late 2022 until late 2023 when it dropped the price back to $12k.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has repeatedly said that as FSD becomes more capable, it should also go up in price to reflect its greater value. Previously, FSD price increases were largely associated with software updates that added new capability to the system.

Musk even went as far as to say that this means Tesla cars with FSD are “appreciating assets,” potentially worth $100-200k due to their value as robotaxis. Though Tesla only uses those values when it’s convenient, considering FSD much less valuable when offering trade-in estimates to owners.

But on a more practical business level, this move to lower FSD prices probably has less to do with the system’s capabilities and more to do with boosting revenue during a difficult time for the company, having just posted bad quarterly delivery numbers and laying off 10% of its workforce. A lower price could incentivize owners to pony up for software which had previously mostly gone up in price, giving Tesla a free cash infusion.

The system’s capabilities have been changing, too. Tesla has been pushing FSD more lately, ever since the release of the “mind-blowing” FSD v12. The new version changes the system significantly on the back-end, finally using machine learning neural nets to analyze Tesla’s vast amounts of driving data to teach cars how to drive themselves.

With Tesla’s confidence in the new system, the company rolled out a free one-month trial of FSD to all Teslas in the US, basically encompassing the month of April.

It has also started calling the system “Supervised Full Self-Driving,” a somewhat self-contradictory name that nevertheless is more accurate given that FSD is still a “Level 2” system that does not ever actually take full responsibility for the dynamic driving task (that only happens with level 3+ systems, like Mercedes’ DRIVE PILOT or Waymo).

Today’s price drop hasn’t been echoed in all other territories. It’s still listed at £6,800 in the UK and 59,600kr in Norway, same as it was before today’s price drop. FSD has generally been somewhat cheaper in Europe than the US after taking into account exchange rates, because it also has more capabilities in the US than in other countries, but after today’s price cuts, it’s actually more expensive in some EU countries (like the UK, where exchange rate puts it at ~$8.4k USD equivalent) than in the US, despite lower capabilities.

FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.

Continue Reading

Trending