Connect with us

Published

on

A man has been arrested after a car hit the main gates of Downing Street.

The silver Kia crashed into the barrier at around 4.20pm on Thursday, the Metropolitan Police said.

The vehicle appeared to come out of a car park next to the Ministry of Defence building opposite.

It then crossed Whitehall, near the Cenotaph, before abruptly breaking and then driving forward directly into the gates.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Watch moment car hits Downing St gates

Pedestrians were told to “move back” by officers as the driver was arrested on suspicion of criminal damage and dangerous driving.

Police said no-one had been hurt and the incident was not being treated as terror-related. Local officers in Westminster were investigating.

The prime minister was in Downing Street at the time of the crash.

But Rishi Sunak, who had been due to leave No 10 anyway, departed after the incident.

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt was also in Downing Street at the time, Sky News understands.

The moment the man was detained

Read more:
Police with Tasers and ‘rifles’ confront man

Moment police arrest suspect after crash
Downing Street crash: Eyewitness testimony

Police at the scene on Whitehall, where a car hit the gates of Downing Street

Officers were pictured searching the vehicle’s boot and removing a white sheet.

Large sections of Whitehall were closed to the public and vehicles following the incident, but they were later reopened.

Car that crashed into Downing Street gates
Downing street

Eyewitness Krish Kandiah, who was delivering a petition at Downing Street when the crash happened, told Sky News there was an “almighty smash at the front gate”.

“Immediately we saw police scramble and armed officers responded swiftly. They shouted at the man to get out. He was wrestled out of the car and put down on the ground and handcuffed,” he said.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘Almighty smash at front gate’

Another witness Simon Parry, 44, said: “I heard a bang and looked up and saw loads of police with Tasers shouting at the man.

“A lot of police vehicles came very quickly and were very quick to evacuate the area.”

Mr Parry said the driver had his “face to the floor” as he was being arrested.

 A car has crashed into the gates of Downing Street
Downing street

He said the man appeared to slow down before he reached the gates of Downing Street, having driven out from the other side of the road.

“There were sniffer dogs and a bomb squad,” he added.

Asked to describe the mood in the immediate aftermath, Mr Parry said: “We saw people that were in a panic running away and we saw people who were excited.”

Downing street
Police investigating boot
Image:
Police removed a large white sheet from the vehicle

The Metropolitan Police said in a statement: “At approximately 4.20pm on Thursday 25 May a car collided with the gates of Downing Street on Whitehall.

“Armed officers arrested a man at the scene on suspicion of criminal damage and dangerous driving. He has been taken into custody.”

Continue Reading

World

Tetiana’s raw and devastating story of loss reveals the pain behind Ukraine’s war statistics

Published

on

By

Tetiana's raw and devastating story of loss reveals the pain behind Ukraine's war statistics

In a country like Ukraine, where entire cities are being bludgeoned to the ground, the human ramifications are so vast that they often overwhelm the ability of journalists to describe them. 

Instead, we rely on numbers – numbers, for example, from the United Nations Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine which reports that 10,582 civilians have been killed since Russia launched its full-scale attack.

We quote statistics from the Office of the President of Ukraine, which says 529 children have died as a result of the fighting since February 2022.

It was in the city of Kharkiv, however, that I was confronted by the consequences of this conflict in a way that was so raw and devastating that the meaning buried within these numbers was painfully revealed.

On 10 February, the Russians targeted a large fuel depot in the city, using three of their Iran-made Shahed drones.

Firefighters work at the site of a Russian drone strike in Kharkiv on 10 February. Pic: Reuters
Image:
A fire erupted after the drone strike on 10 February. Pic: Reuters

Their assault was successful – spectacularly so, with smoke and flames from the ruptured tanks billowing miles above the city. A million gallons of diesel and petrol poured into the surrounding streets, flowing like lava into a nearby residential neighbourhood.

The heat was so intense that firefighters struggled to approach the blaze. Some 4,000 square metres were incinerated, along with 15 homes in the city’s Nemyshlyansky district.

More on Kharkiv

When we first saw Tetiana Putiatina, she was standing outside the charred remains of 32 Kotelnia Street. She used to live here with her only son Hryhory and his family of five.

Tetiana Putiatina lost her son, daughter in law and three grand children in a Russian attack on Kharkiv.
Image:
Tetiana Putiatina lost her son, daughter-in-law and three grandchildren when a Russian drone strike hit Kharkiv last month

When I approached, I could tell that the 61-year-old had been crying.

“The children were asleep, there were three of them – seven years old, four years old and 10 months old. They just didn’t have time to get out, to gather the children,” she whispered.

Tetiana was visiting a relative on the night of the attack, leaving the rest of the family at home.

“By nine in the morning, I’d already returned, when they were recovering the bodies. They didn’t show them to me. They were so badly burned.”

Her son Hryhory was a builder and his wife Olna worked at the local prosecutor’s office. She told me the pair had spent much of the past two years trying to keep their three boys safe.

Tetiana Putiatina lost her son, daughter in law and their three children in a Russian attack on Kharkiv.

Their oldest child was Oleksii with Mykhaylo in the middle. Pavlo – or Pasha, as they called him – was the baby.

Their parents had taken them to western Ukraine at the beginning of the war when the Russian troops tried to break into Kharkiv but they had returned to the city after several months.

Tetiana said the family would rush to their underground shelter in the garden when the sound of the bombing got close.

On the night of 10 February, however, they had no time to escape, no chance to avoid a river of fire that was racing their way.

Hryhory was a builder and his wife Olna worked at the local prosecutor's office. They were killed along with their three children in Kharkiv in a Russian attack.
Image:
Hryhory, Olna and their three children died in the drone assault

“They found my son here, this is where he lay,” said Tetiana, pointing to a spot on the floor in what remains of the corridor.

“It looks like he was looking for a way out. Here in the bathroom, that’s where Olna was, holding two of the children close to her chest. The middle boy (Mykhaylo) ran out to the kitchen. Probably, he was trying to reach his dad.”

Their funeral was held three days later and in a recording of the event, we see surviving family members trying to grapple with the catastrophe. The baby, Pasha, was buried with his mother and we see Tetiana wrapping her arms around their coffin as she sobs.

When these images were posted online, Tetiana was mocked by some who accused her of pretending to be upset. They were Russians seeking to deepen her wounds, she said.

Three children - (in order of age) Oleksii with Mykhaylo and Pavlo killed in attack on Kharkiv
Image:
All three children were killed in the attack

“When we were mourning at the cemetery, I held the coffin. There were comments, like, ‘what an actress’ and ‘she plays her role well’.”

She began to cry. “They say they are liberating us. Who are they liberating?

“I was born in the Belgorod region (of Russia) myself. Do they liberate me?

“And my in-laws, my parents-in-law, were all from Russia. We were all Russian-speaking.”

The fuel depot was still smoking when we visited the site and the roads surrounding it were thick with a black sticky residue. We saw workers trying to patch up the heating and water pipes – but there are things in Kharkiv that will never be repaired.

A security guard who works next to what is left of the fuel depot told us it was like looking at a picture of hell.

“You know, the stench will linger for years – that smell is going to stay and it has affected the atmosphere here because there were huge clouds of smoke. It was terrible.”

Tetiana Putiatina's son, daughter in law and three grand children were killed in a Russian attack on Kharkiv.
Image:
Tetiana was visiting a relative when the attack happened

Read more:
A day of mourning – and rage – on Ukraine war anniversary
Baltic states on NATO’s frontline with Russia tell allies to ‘wake up’
The surgeon smuggled into Mariupol

The consequences of this attack will strike many as a depressing feature of Ukraine’s daily existence, another number in an endlessly rising statistical column. But there is nothing normal about this for Tetiana Putiatina.

The destruction of her house and the death of her loved ones have left her with nothing to live for.

“Of course, it’s hard. I come here every day, sometimes multiple times a day.

“I’ll come here, walk around the house, where they found their bodies.

“I’ll shout, I’ll cry, and then I’ll leave.”

Continue Reading

World

State of emergency in Haiti as gang leader seeks to oust prime minister and prisoners escape

Published

on

By

State of emergency in Haiti as gang leader seeks to oust prime minister and prisoners escape

A state of emergency has been declared in Haiti after violence in the capital led to two prison breaks as a major gang leader tries to oust the prime minister.

The government decree follows a dramatic escalation in clashes over the weekend, which paralysed parts of Port-au-Prince and temporarily downed communications.

Heavy gunfire has caused panic in recent days after calls by gang leader Jimmy Cherizier, a former police officer, for criminal groups to unite and overthrow Ariel Henry.

In a bid to restore order, a curfew will apply from 6pm to 5am each day until Wednesday, which may be extended for another 72 hours.

Armed groups attacked the country’s largest prison on Saturday night, defying police forces who had called for help.

On Sunday, there was no sign of police officers at the National Penitentiary and the main prison doors remained open.

“I’m the only one left in my cell,” one unidentified inmate told Reuters news agency. “We were asleep when we heard the sound of bullets. The cell barriers are broken.”

The National Penitentiary following violent clashes on Sunday. Pic: Reuters
Image:
The National Penitentiary following violent clashes on Sunday. Pic: Reuters

A man calls for protesters to stop on Friday. Pic: Reuters
Image:
A man calls for protesters to stop on Friday. Pic: Reuters

It is unclear how many inmates are on the run, but sources close to the institution say it is likely to be an “overwhelming” majority.

The prison was built to keep 700 prisoners, but held 3,687 as of February last year, according to rights group RNDDH.

One voluntary prison worker on Sunday said 99 prisoners had chosen to stay in their cells for fear of being killed in the crossfire.

The bodies of three inmates who had tried to flee lay dead in the prison courtyard on Sunday, while two bodies with their hands tied behind the backs lay face down in another neighbourhood.

Among those still in the prison are 18 former Colombian soldiers who were jailed for their alleged involvement in the assassination of President Jovenel Moise, Mr Henry’s predecessor.

Colombian inmates open a gate inside the prison. Pic: AP
Image:
Colombian inmates open a gate inside the prison. Pic: AP

A police officer takes aim amid clashes. Pic: AP
Image:
A police officer takes aim amid clashes. Pic: AP

“Please, please help us,” one of the men, Francisco Uribe, said in the message widely shared on social media. “They are massacring people indiscriminately inside the cells.”

On Sunday, Mr Uribe told journalists who walked into the normally highly guarded facility: “I didn’t flee because I’m innocent.”

Mr Cherizier had warned locals earlier this week to keep children from going to school to “avoid collateral damages” as violence surged while the prime minister sought support abroad.

Read more:
Women and children rescued after gang surrounds Haiti hospital
Haitian president’s assassination: Businessman gets life in prison

Nearly 15,000 people have been forced to leave their homes in recent days, according to the UN International Organisation for Migration.

Prime Minister Henry, who came to power in 2021 after Mr Moise’s assassination, had previously pledged to step down by early February.

He later said security must first be re-established in order to ensure free and fair elections.

Continue Reading

World

Ferrari stolen from Formula One driver Gerhard Berger in 1995 recovered by police nearly three decades later

Published

on

By

Ferrari stolen from Formula One driver Gerhard Berger in 1995 recovered by police nearly three decades later

A Ferrari stolen from former Formula One driver Gerhard Berger nearly three decades ago has been recovered by police.

Berger was racing in the 1995 San Marino Grand Prix held at Imola in Italy when his Ferrari F512M was stolen alongside another sports car.

Police believe the car – a revamped version of Ferrari’s iconic Testarossa – was shipped to Japan soon after it was stolen.

However, the sports car, painted in the classic Ferrari red and said to be worth around £350,000, was brought to the UK in late 2023.

Gerhard Berger's  Ferrari was stolen 28 years ago.
Pic: PA
Image:
Gerhard Berger’s Ferrari was stolen 28 years ago.
Pic: Met Police

Gerhard Berger's Ferrari was stolen 28 years ago. 
Pic: PA
Image:
Gerhard Berger’s Ferrari was stolen 28 years ago.
Pic: Met Police

It came to the attention of the Metropolitan Police in January this year, when officers received a report from the Italian car marker.

Ferrari had carried out checks on a car being bought by a US buyer via a UK broker in 2023, which revealed it was a stolen vehicle.

Gerhard Berger, Ferrari Brazilian Grand Prix 26.3.95 Please Credit: John Marsh / Action Images F1, via Reuters
Image:
Gerhard Berger, pictured in 1995. Pic: John Marsh / Action Images F1, via Reuters


PC Mike Pilbeam, who led the investigation, said: “The stolen Ferrari was missing for more than 28 years before we managed to track it down in just four days.

“Our enquiries were painstaking and included contacting authorities from around the world.

“We worked quickly with partners including the National Crime Agency, as well as Ferrari and international car dealerships, and this collaboration was instrumental in understanding the vehicle’s background and stopping it from leaving the country.”

Read more from Sky News:
Red Bull team risks being ‘torn apart’
Katie Boulter wins San Diego Open

The second car remains missing.

No arrests have yet been made, but enquiries are ongoing, the force added.

Former Formula One driver Gerhard Berger attends an event to celebrate 90 years of Italian premium sports car maker Ferrari racing team at Milan's Duomo square, in Milan, Italy September 4, 2019. REUTERS/Flavio lo Scalzo
Image:
Former Formula One driver Gerhard Berger, pictured in 2019. Pic: Reuters

The Ferrari F512M was the last version of the Italian car maker’s iconic Testarossa. Around 500 were produced between 1994 and 1996.

The Testarossa itself was Ferrari’s flagship model throughout much of the 1980s, becoming synonymous with yuppies, and famously featuring in the hit crime drama, Miami Vice.

Berger, who raced for Scuderia Ferrari for much of his Formula One career, was among the famous faces who owned a Testarossa, along with the likes of Michael Jordan, Mike Tyson, and Elton John.

Continue Reading

Trending