At least 83 people died in the fire, according to South China Morning Post, citing the local fire department, and a further 70 people have been injured, including more than 40 who were described as critically ill in hospital on Wednesday night.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
3:02
Deadly blaze destroys Hong Kong tower blocks
Around 900 people are also in shelters as a result of the blaze.
Police have alleged its cause could have been a “grossly negligent” construction firm using unsafe materials.
Three people – two directors and an engineering consultant – have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter.
“We have reason to believe that the company’s responsible parties were grossly negligent, which led to this accident and caused the fire to spread uncontrollably, resulting in major casualties,” said police superintendent Eileen Chung. Police have not named the company.
The complex, built in the 1980s, had been under renovation for a year.
Image: Smoke rising from the Wang Fuk Court residential complex. Pic: AP Photo/Chan Long Hei
Image: The fire broke out on Wednesday afternoon. Pic: Reuters
Image: Dozens of people remain in hospital, some are critically injured. Pic: AP Photo/Chan Long Hei
One firefighter was among those killed tackling the blaze, which broke out at 2.51pm local time on Wednesday. Another 11 firefighters were among those injured.
Fire crews said they had doused the flames in all seven of the affected blocks by Thursday morning, and were searching each floor for survivors.
Records show the Wang Fuk Court site consists of eight blocks, with almost 2,000 flats housing around 4,800 residents, including many elderly people.
Image: A relative of a resident at the scene. Pic: Reuters
Families have been identifying the bodies of relatives while others have been visiting shelters in the area, searching for missing loved ones.
Hong Kong leader John Lee said on Thursday the government will set up a HK$300m (£29m) fund to help residents.
Image: Charred bamboo and plastic mesh covers the complex, which was undergoing renovation works. Pic: Reuters
Image: Firefighters searching between floors at one of the high-rise blocks. Pic: Reuters
The cause of the fire is being investigated, but it appears to have started in bamboo scaffolding and construction mesh sheets and then spread across seven of the complex’s eight buildings – likely aided by windy conditions.
Bamboo scaffolding is commonly used in Hong Kong, but is in the process of being phased out because of safety concerns.
Hong Kong’s Association for the Rights of Industrial Accident Victims said there have been at least three fires involving bamboo scaffolding this year.
Image: Temporary shelters have been set up for residents. Pic: AP
Image: Supplies are brought to a school which is serving as a shelter. Pic: Kyodo/AP
China’s state broadcaster CCTV said President Xi Jinping has urged an “all-out effort” to extinguish the fire and minimise casualties and losses.
Both the US and British Consulate Generals for Hong Kong have sent condolences to those affected, as has Taiwan’s president.
Image: Parts of the huge complex were still smouldering on Thursday. Pic: AP
Image: Firefighters work to extinguish the blaze. Pic: AP
The number of dead is the highest in a Hong Kong fire since 1948, when 176 people were killed in a warehouse blaze.
The fire has prompted comparisons to the Grenfell Tower blaze which killed 72 people in 2017, blamed on flammable cladding, as well as failings by the government and the construction industry.
“Our hearts go out to all those affected by the horrific fire in Hong Kong,” the Grenfell United survivors’ group said on social media.
“To the families, friends and communities, we stand with you. You are not alone.”