Venezuela has accused Donald Trump of making a “colonial threat,” after the US president said the airspace “above and surrounding” the country should be considered closed “in its entirety”.
Mr Trumpmade the declaration amid growing tensions with president Nicolas Maduro – and as the US continues attacking boats it claims are carrying drugs from Venezuela.
He wrote on Truth Social: “To all Airlines, Pilots, Drug Dealers, and Human Traffickers, please consider THE AIRSPACE ABOVE AND SURROUNDING VENEZUELA TO BE CLOSED IN ITS ENTIRETY.”
Image: Air traffic above Venezuela on Saturday afternoon. Pic: FlightRadar24
Venezuela’s foreign affairs office called it a “colonial threat” and “illegal, and unjustified aggression,” and accused the president of threatening “the sovereignty of the national airspace… and the full sovereignty of the Venezuelan state”.
It added that Mr Trump’s words were part of a “permanent policy of aggression against our country” that breached international law and the UN Charter.
The Pentagon and the White House have so far not given any additional detail on the president’s statement, but it marks the latest escalation in tensions between the North and South American countries
Last week, the American aviation regulator warned of a “potentially hazardous situation” over Venezuela due to a “worsening security situation”.
Image: Nicolas Maduro is widely considered a dictator by the West. Pic: Reuters
Venezuela then revoked operating rights for six major airlines, which went on to suspend flights to the country.
Mr Trump warned a few days ago that land operations against alleged Venezuelan drug traffickers would begin “very soon”.
Such a move would be a major escalation in Operation Southern Spear – the US naval deployment in the Caribbean Sea and eastern Pacific that has so far attacked at least 21 vessels.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
0:59
Three killed as US strikes another alleged drug boat
Venezuela has said the attacks, which have killed more than 80 people, amount to murder.
The US has released videos of boats being targeted, but hasn’t provided evidence – such as photos of their cargo – to support the smuggling claims.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
1:41
Venezuela claims Trump creating ‘fables’ to justify ‘war’
The Pentagon has sought to justify the strikes by labelling the drug gangs as “foreign terrorist organisations” – putting them on par with the likes of al Qaeda.
It claims the boats targeted are carrying drugs bound for the US, although Sky’s chief correspondent says the final destination is likely to be Europe and West Africa.
The US is also offering a reward of $50m for the arrest of the Venezuelan president, who has been indicted in American courts on federal charges of narco-terrorism and conspiracy to import cocaine.
Mr Maduro has denied Mr Trump’s claims that he is involved in the drugs trade himself and said his counterpart wants to oust him so he can install a more sympathetic government.
Venezuelan officials have also claimed Mr Trump’s true motivation is access to the country’s plentiful oil reserves.
Mr Maduro, who has been president since 2013, has been accused of being a dictator who has cheated in elections.