Connect with us

Published

on

In today’s Electrek Green Energy Brief (EGEB):

  • Hitachi ABB Power Grids launches transformer products for offshore floating wind farms.
  • Turbine installation is complete at Denmark’s largest wind farm, the offshore Kriegers Flak.
  • UnderstandSolar is a free service that links you to top-rated solar installers in your region for personalized solar estimates. Tesla now offers price matching, so it’s important to shop for the best quotes. Click here to learn more and get your quotes. — *ad.

Power products for floating offshore wind

Switzerland-headquartered Hitachi ABB Power Grids has launched a portfolio of transformer products for offshore floating wind farms.

The portfolio, which Hitachi developed in partnership with floating offshore wind developers, includes collector step-up transformers, which step up turbine generator output voltage from a few hundred volts to the collector system’s medium voltage distribution levels; earthing transformers; shunt reactors – absorbers of reactive power – for floating substations; and wind turbine transformers for floating wind turbines.

Hitachi ABB, which announced on Friday that it will switch to 100% fossil-free electricity by the end of this year, says its new transformer products will enable much greater volumes of wind to be efficiently harvested and integrated into energy systems.

The Biden administration announced on May 25 that the US Pacific Coast will be open to commercial-scale offshore clean energy projects for the first time, and floating offshore wind technology will need to be utilized in California waters because the continental shelf falls away quickly, into deep waters. So Hitachi’s floating electrical systems are a timely arrival for that announcement, and for the fledgling floating offshore wind industry in general.

Check out Hitachi ABB’s video below about their new transformers for floating wind turbines, and how offshore floating wind will unleash great clean energy potential:

Kriegers Flak wind turbines

Turbine installation is complete at what is now Denmark’s largest wind farm. The 604 megawatt Kriegers Flak offshore wind farm is 9 to 25 miles (15 to 40 kilometers) off the east coast of Denmark in the Baltic Sea. It will provide enough energy for around 600,000 Danish households and increase Danish wind production by around 16%.

Kriegers Flak consists of 72 Siemens Gamesa 8.4 MW turbines, installed by offshore development company Jan De Nul. Each turbine is 617 feet (188 meters) in height. The 72nd wind turbine was installed on June 5, and the first turbine was installed in February.

The wind farm will be serviced out of Swedish energy company Vattenfall’s new service facility at the Port of Klintholm, which is south of Copenhagen.

Kriegers Flak’s testing will need to be finalized, and it will then be certified, so that it can come online after summer.

Catrin Jung, head of offshore wind in Vattenfall, said:

Despite COVID-19, we have been able to deliver according to plan – actually a little ahead of schedule.

Photo: Hitachi ABB


Subscribe to Electrek on YouTube for exclusive videos and subscribe to the podcast.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Harry and Meghan’s documentary series trailer released by Netflix

Published

on

By

Harry and Meghan's documentary series trailer released by Netflix

The trailer for Harry and Meghan’s new documentary series has been released.

The one-minute preview, released by Netflix, features previously unseen black and white photographs of the couple set to music.

They are heard being asked “Why did you want to make this documentary?” to which Harry replies: “No one sees what’s happening behind closed doors.”

He adds: “I had to do everything I could to protect my family” before Meghan is seen wiping away tears.

The trailer ends with Meghan saying: “When the stakes are this high, doesn’t it make more sense to hear our story from us?”

Images of William and Kate with Harry and Meghan at the Commonwealth Day service in 2020, the Sussexes’ final public appearance as senior working royals, feature among the images.

There are also joyful pictures of the couple kissing while Meghan sits on a kitchen counter, as newlyweds dancing at their wedding, cuddling in a photobooth, and Meghan cradling her baby bump.

But the duchess is also pictured in sadder moments, wiping away tears and sitting with her hands covering her face.

Meghan and Harry. Pic: Netflix
Image:
Meghan and Harry. Pic: Netflix

Netflix describes the documentary, titled Harry & Meghan, as a “global event” and says it is “coming soon” – reports say it will land on 8 December.

It says the show “explores the clandestine days of their early courtship and the challenges that led to them feeling forced to step back from their full-time roles in the institution”.

It features commentary from friends, family and royal historians.

It adds: “The series does more than illuminate one couple’s love story, it paints a picture of our world and how we treat each other.”

The director, Liz Garbus, is a two-time Academy Award-nominated and Emmy-winning director.

Harry and Meghan signed lucrative deals – thought to be worth well over £100m- with Netflix and Spotify after quitting the monarchy and moving to the US.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Squid Game actor O Yeong-su to stand trial on indecent assault charges in South Korea

Published

on

By

Squid Game actor O Yeong-su to stand trial on indecent assault charges in South Korea

The Squid Game actor O Yeong-su will stand trial on charges of indecent assault after a woman accused him of inappropriately touching her.

The trial of the Golden Globe winner, 78, was set for February at the district court in the South Korean city of Seongnam last week.

Specific details about the case could not be confirmed at this stage, Kim Myeong-un, an official in the district prosecutors’ office, said.

O Yeong-su (left) with other Squid Game actors in the Netflix series. Pic: AP
Image:
O Yeong-su, left, in Squid Game. Pic: AP

O allegedly made unwanted physical contact with the woman, who has not been identified, at a meeting five years ago.

He denies any wrongdoing and has claimed he only held the woman’s hands to “show her the way” as they walked around a lake, according to a local television channel.

O said he had offered the woman an apology, not because he accepted the accusations against him were valid, but because the woman allegedly told him she “wouldn’t raise an issue” about the incident if he did, according to JTBC.

O became the first South Korean actor to win a Golden Globe in January after he was named the best supporting actor for his role in Squid Game.

More on Netflix

The violent Netflix drama follows a group of severely indebted adults competing in a series of deadly children’s games for a share of a cash prize.

O was also nominated for an Emmy for his performance as Oh Il-nam, a mysterious elderly contestant who joined the games after being diagnosed with terminal brain cancer.

O has not yet commented publicly on the allegations.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Jake Flint: US country star, 37, dies just hours after getting married

Published

on

By

Jake Flint: US country star, 37, dies just hours after getting married

US country music star Jake Flint has died unexpectedly at the age of 37, just hours after getting married.

The Oklahoma-based singer/songwriter died in his sleep after he tied the knot with wife Brenda on Saturday.

His heartbroken bride posted on Facebook: “We should be going through wedding photos but instead, I have to pick out clothes to bury my husband in.

“People aren’t meant to feel this much pain.

“My heart is gone and I just really need him to come back.

“I can’t take much more. I need him here.”

She also shared a picture of the couple dancing after their nuptials on Facebook, writing “I don’t understand.”

More on Country Music

Mr Flint’s publicist, Clif Doyal, said the musician died in his sleep in the early hours of the morning on Sunday, 27 November.

“Flint had exchanged wedding vows with Brenda Wilson on Saturday. He was 37.

“No official cause of death has been determined.”

In a statement shared by Mr Doyal, Mr Flint’s family said they were “broken” over the “tragic loss” of their beloved son, brother, uncle and partner, known to them as Jacob.

“He valued his family, friendships and living life to the fullest, which was evident in his songwriting.

“Every person who knew him has a story of his wit, charm, talent and compassion.

“We are so grateful for the outpouring of support and the many beautiful tributes that have been shared about the impact Jacob had on many lives.

“While we grieve what we know could have been, we are grateful that his talent and love live on in his songs.”

A service for Mr Flint will take place on Monday at Cedar Point Church in Claremore, Oklahoma.

Instead of flowers, the family have requested donations to the Red Dirt Relief Fund, an organisation which provides emergency assistance funding grants to musicians in need.

A fundraising campaign has also been launched to raise money for the family of Mr Flint, described as a “great man in our music community.”

The musician was in the middle of a multi-state tour and had been scheduled to perform in Claremore on Friday.

His former manager, Brenda Cline, said she “loved him much like a son”, hailing him as the “funniest, most hilarious, hardest working, dedicated artist I have ever worked with in my career.”

“Jake has a million friends and I’m not sure how everyone will cope with this tragic loss,” she wrote on Facebook.

“This is going to be incredibly difficult for so many. We love you Jake and in our hearts forever.”

Continue Reading

Trending