Reducing the sensitivity of the NHS COVID app to bring down the number of people being told to self-isolate is “like taking the batteries out of the smoke alarm”, Sir Keir Starmer has said.
On Thursday, the head of the UK Health Security Agency, Dr Jenny Harries, confirmed that ministers plan to “tune” the app so fewer individuals are pinged amid concerns that lifting the remaining restrictions later this month will lead to many being forced into staying at home.
Image: Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer says altering the app is like ‘taking the batteries out of the smoke alarm’
But the Labour leader said such a move would “weaken the defences” the country has built up against the virus.
“It’s like taking the batteries out of the smoke alarm: it is so obviously to weaken the defences that we have,” Sir Keir said of the government’s plans.
Advertisement
“And if the consequence of the prime minister’s decision is that people are deleting the NHS app, or the app is being weakened, then that’s a pretty good indicator that the decision of the prime minister is wrong.”
At PMQs earlier in the week, the Labour leader warned that people were removing the app from their phones ahead of the final stage of unlocking because of fears about being repeatedly told to isolate.
More on Covid-19
Downing Street confirmed the government “actively have a piece of work ongoing” with regards to tracing scheme, adding that it is “entirely possible to tune the app to ensure it is appropriate to the risk”.
The prime minister’s official spokesperson said the PM is still using the app as it is an “important tool” in reducing the spread of the virus – and that he encourages others to do the same.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
PM ‘gets’ NHS app frustration
“It is important that people continue to isolate if they are asked to do so,” the PM’s spokesman said.
“We continue to ask people to isolate if they are asked to through the app.”
But the PM’s official spokesman also confirmed that the government is “looking at” whether further self-isolation exemptions could be granted to NHS workers ahead of step four of the roadmap out of lockdown, when there are fears cases of coronavirus could dramatically increase.
“Exemptions are already in place for people where they’re wearing appropriate medical grade PPE,” they said.
“But again, as I say, we obviously keep everything on the review and we will continue to look at these things ahead of step four.”
Image: Health Secretary Sajid Javid is apparently ‘looking at’ the tracing system
Rules governing travel for people in England are due to be eased on 19 July, but measures on self-isolation for the fully vaccinated will remain in place until 16 August.
Latest Test and Trace figures show a total of 356,036 alerts were sent to users of the NHS COVID-19 app in England in the week to 30 June, telling them they had been in close contact with someone who had tested positive.
This is up from 219,391 the previous week – a jump of 62%, and the highest weekly figure since data was first published back in January.
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps told Sky News on Friday that the government “want(s) the app to be a useful tool in our armoury”.
It came after Rishi Sunak told Sky News on Thursday that the health secretary, Sajid Javid, was considering an “appropriate, balanced and proportionate” approach for self-isolation when people are ‘pinged’ by the NHS app.
The chancellor said he had spoken to Mr Javid about “the frustration” that people have with the test and trace system and that the health secretary was “aware” of concerns and was “looking at” possible solutions.
Speaking later that morning, the PM said he knows “how frustrated people are” that changes to self-isolation rules for those who have had two vaccine doses and those under 18 are coming into force on 16 August and not in July.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
PM ‘reckless’ to remove all restrictions – Starmer
The latest estimates from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) suggest around one in 160 people in England are estimated to have had COVID-19 in the week to 3 July.
The figure was around one in 100 in Scotland, one in 340 in Wales and one in 300 in Northern Ireland.
And data from Public Health England suggests cases of the Delta variant rose by a third in the past week alone.
And according to new REACT study data, based on home swab tests taken by over 47,000 people between 24 June and 5 July, around 1 in 170 people had the virus during this period, or 0.59% of the population.
This is four times higher than the study’s previous report when 0.15% of people (1 in 670) were infected, as of 7 June.
Almost all COVID rules – including limits on the number of people who can meet together, legal requirements on wearing face masks, and social distancing in pubs and bars – will be ditched as part of the final step of the roadmap for lifting lockdown restrictions in England.
The move is due to take place on 19 July, but a final decision on whether it goes ahead will be made next week.
A temporary injunction that would have blocked asylum seekers from being housed at the Bell Hotel in Essex has been overturned at the Court of Appeal.
The Home Office and Somani Hotels, which owns the Bell Hotel in Epping, have successfully challenged a High Court ruling. Today’s hearing saw both parties win the right to appeal, before also winning the appeals themselves.
Lord Justice Bean, sitting with Lady Justice Nicola Davies and Lord Justice Cobb, quashed an earlier injunction granted to Epping Forest District Council, saying: “We allow the appeals and we set aside the injunction imposed on 19 August 2025.”
This means asylum seekers will stay in the accommodation in Essex past 12 September. There are currently 138 asylum seekers being housed at the hotel.
Image: Lord Justice Bean delivering the ruling. Pic: PA
Last week, the initial court ruling centred on the change in use of the premises without consent from the local authority.
But after the Home Office argued its case – which involved stating it had the right to appeal – judges have backed the government’s side.
The decision avoids a precedent for other councils to appeal against asylum hotels in their areas.
Council ‘will continue the fight’
A councillor for Epping said the “battle is not over” after the Court of Appeal ruling and vowed the council would “continue the fight”.
Image: Councillor Ken Williamson. Pic: PA
Speaking outside the London court, Ken Williamson, said: “We are deeply disappointed by the outcome of today’s hearing.
“The concern and motivation of Epping Forest District Council throughout has been the wellbeing of our local residents, where we had clarity and resolution, we now have doubt and confusion.”
The council could still be granted an injunction following a full hearing of the legal claim, which is due to be heard in October.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
6:44
Reform UK’s deputy leader Richard Tice: Epping residents should feel ‘angry and frustrated’
Reform UK leader Nigel Farage also criticised the ruling, claiming that “illegal migrants have more rights than the British people under (Keir) Starmer”.
Tory leader Kemi Badenoch echoed this in her own statement, saying: “Keir Starmer has shown that he puts the rights of illegal immigrants above the rights of British people who just want to feel safe in their towns and communities.”
She also urged Conservative councillors seeking similar injunctions against asylum hotels to “keep going” despite the ruling.
Focal point of protests
Epping Forest District Council had asked for the injunction after the Bell Hotel became the focal point of several protests and counter-protests. It claimed its owner, Somani Hotels, had breached planning rules.
Lord Justice Stephen Eyre, who gave the original High Court decision, had said that while the council had not “definitively established” that the company had breached planning rules, “the strength of the claimant’s case is such that it weighs in favour” of granting the injunction.
Image: Anti-migration protesters in Epping in July
Regular protests have been held outside the Bell Hotel since an asylum seeker housed there was accused of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl in July.
Hadush Gerberslasie Kebatu, 38, denies two counts of sexual assault, one count of attempted sexual assault, one count of inciting a girl to engage in sexual activity, and one count of harassment without violence.
Image: A view of an England flag outside the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, after a temporary injunction that would have blocked asylum seekers from being housed at the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, was overturned at the Court of Appeal. Picture date: Friday A
After the Court of Appeal ruling, a small number of protesters gathered outside the Bell Hotel carrying England and Union flags, with police officers guarding the entrance to the hotel, which is gated off with metal fencing.
An England flag has been attached to a drainpipe outside the hotel, while England flags have also been painted onto signs and a speed camera outside the hotel.
Avalanche transaction growth topped all blockchain networks with 66%, as the smart-contract network saw more government implementation and renewed ETF applications.
Unicoin urged a New York judge to toss the SEC’s $100 million fraud case, arguing the regulator misquoted filings and relied on “snippets” taken out of context.