Connect with us

Published

on

The government has announced it is effectively ending all prosecutions related to crimes committed during the Northern Ireland Troubles.

Described as a de facto amnesty for former British soldiers and former paramilitaries, the new statute of limitations will apply to incidents prior to the 1998 Good Friday Agreement.

It was confirmed in parliament on Wednesday by Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis.

Two women walk past mural depicting victims of the troubles in west Belfast as talks continue on transferring policing and justice powers from London to Belfast
Image:
Many victims say they can’t believe veterans would want an amnesty that also applies to the very terrorists who murdered their comrades

“We know that the prospect of the end of criminal prosecutions will be difficult for some to accept and this is not a position we take lightly,” he told MPs.

“But we’ve come to the view that this is the best and only way to facilitate an effective information retrieval and provision process, and the best way to help Northern Ireland move further along the road to reconciliation.

“It is in reality a painful recognition of the very reality of where we are.”

Mr Lewis said it was “clear the current system for dealing with the legacy of the Troubles is not working”.

More on Northern Ireland

“It’s now a difficult, in fact painful, truth that the focus on criminal investigations is increasingly unlikely to deliver successful criminal justice outcomes, but all the while it continues to divide communities and it fails to obtain answers for a majority of victims and families,” he added.

Mr Lewis said the government would legislate to set up a new independent body to focus on the recovery and provision of information about Troubles-related deaths and most serious injuries.

“This body will be focused on helping families to find out the truth of what happened to their loved ones. Where families do not want the past raked over again they would be able to make this clear,” he said.

Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis
Image:
Mr Lewis said it was ‘clear the current system for dealing with the legacy of the Troubles is not working’

“For those families that want to get answers, the body will have the full powers to seek access to information and find out what happened.”

The move is opposed by all five of the main political parties in Northern Ireland and by the Irish government.

Democratic Unionist Party leader Sir Jeffrey Donaldson said it would be “rejected by everyone in Northern Ireland who stands for justice and the rule of law”.

It has been driven by a government pledge to end the historical prosecution of soldiers who served in Northern Ireland.

But many victims say they can’t believe veterans would want an amnesty that also applies to the very terrorists who murdered their comrades.

It is 30 years since Kathleen Gillespie’s husband Patsy was murdered in a particularly brutal IRA attack.

They chained him to a van containing a bomb, held his family at gunpoint and ordered him to drive it to a military base.

The 1,200lb bomb exploded at the Coshquin base near the border, killing the father-of-three and five British soldiers.

Kathleen said: “I feel robbed. I have this thing in my head that when it’s an important person that’s been killed, their thing is investigated and their thing is solved.

“We’re just the ordinary common people so it’s alright to push us to the one side,” she added.

Thirteen civilians were shot dead and a 14th fatally wounded when the British Parachute Regiment opened fire in Londonderry in January 1972.

Only one veteran was charged with murder but the case against ‘Soldier F’ was halted last week by public prosecutors.

Mickey McKinney, whose brother William was one of the victims, feels an amnesty only adds to the pain of Bloody Sunday.

Forty-nine years on, his memories of 30 January, 1972, remain vivid and he is fiercely opposed to any statute of limitations in Northern Ireland.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

July: Troubles case against ex-soldiers ends

He recalled: “We were trying to escape the effects of the gas and I remember turning round and I saw the Paras coming in.

“I don’t trust the British government. Would you trust them if they murdered your brother and told lies about him?”

Relatives of victims of the Birmingham pub bombings have described the plans as “obscene”.

Julie Hambleton, whose older sister Maxine was among 21 people killed in the 1974 blasts in Birmingham, has written to Prime Minister Boris Johnson on behalf of the Justice 4 The 21 campaign group to decry the planned legislation.

“Tell me prime minister, if one of your loved ones was blown up beyond recognition, where you were only able to identify your son or daughter by their fingernails because their face had been burned so severely from the blast and little of their remains were left intact, would you be so quick to agree to such obscene legislation being implemented?” Ms Hambleton asked.

“You would do everything in your power to find the murderers and bring them to justice, which is exactly what we campaign for every day.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Sir Keir Starmer faces possible probe over claims he put pressure on Speaker over Gaza debate

Published

on

By

Sir Keir Starmer faces possible probe over claims he put pressure on Speaker over Gaza debate

Sir Keir Starmer is facing a possible parliamentary investigation over allegations he put pressure on the Speaker in a debate on Gaza last week.

Sir Lindsay Hoyle is facing a backlash for allowing a vote on a Labour amendment to an SNP motion calling for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza.

Parliamentary convention dictates that there would usually only be a government amendment to an opposition motion, but Sir Lindsay said he selected the Labour amendment to allow as broad a debate as possible.

However, critics within the SNP and the Conservatives have claimed he bowed to pressure from the Labour Party to select the amendment with the aim of staving off a potential rebellion among its MPs who could have voted for the SNP motion if denied the opportunity to vote on their own.

Politics latest: Tories turn on Sunak over ‘unacceptable’ stance on Islamophobia row

Following the outcry, reports circulated that Sir Keir had put pressure on Sir Lindsay, a Labour MP before taking on the Speaker role, to select his party’s amendment in order to stave off a potential rebellion – thus bringing his impartiality into question.

While Sir Keir has “categorically” denied the claims, Sky News has learned that the Commons leader, Penny Mordaunt, believes there could have been a “breach of privilege” and an investigation is one of a number of potential options being considered.

More on Keir Starmer

Asked on Monday if he regretted the way things had panned out, the Labour leader said: “My focus is on the awful situation in Gaza. Not the parliamentary process, the awful situation.

“And we all want to see an end to the thousands of people being killed in Gaza. We want to see those hostages out, and we want a pathway to a peaceful settlement.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Starmer denies threatening Speaker

Sir Lindsay has also rejected accusations he was put under pressure by Labour and has insisted the safety of MPs was the main reason for his move. He later issued an emotional apology admitting he had made a “mistake”.

On the prospect of a privileges committee probe – first reported by the Times – a Labour spokesperson said it was “desperate stuff from a Tory party trying to distract from their own troubles by repeating lies about Keir Starmer”.

Sir Lindsay is facing a battle to save his job following the debacle, which has led to the SNP – the third largest party in the Commons – losing confidence in him.

A total of 81 SNP and Conservative MPs have now signed a petition of no confidence in Sir Lindsay.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘I have a duty of care to protect’

The SNP’s anger was stoked further when the Speaker rejected an application from the SNP for an emergency debate over a ceasefire in Gaza – something Sir Lindsay himself had proposed as an olive branch following the scenes last week.

Sir Lindsay said the government planned to “make a relevant statement” around the situation in Gaza on Tuesday, meaning there would be a “very relevant opportunity for this matter to come before the House”.

But the SNP’s Westminster leader, Stephen Flynn, accused parliament of “failing the people of Gaza by blocking a vote on the urgent actions the UK government must take to help make an immediate ceasefire happen”.

“The Speaker broke the rules last week – and this week he has broken his word,” he said.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

SNP: Speaker’s position is ‘untenable’

“How can MPs have any trust in the Speaker when he makes a public commitment one minute, only to rip it up the next?

“If 30,000 dead Palestinians aren’t worthy of an emergency debate, what is?”

Read more:
MPs who support Sir Lindsay probably outnumber those who want him out
From bodyguards to death threats – the real impact of chaos in the Commons

Labour’s role in last week’s saga came back into focus this week following an interview shadow minister Chris Bryant gave on Channel 4 News, in which he admitted to filibustering – a delaying tactic – ahead of the opposition day debate to allow Sir Keir and the Speaker time to talk.

The SNP’s Kirsty Blackman said Starmer’s party had been “caught red-handed following the admission by Chris Bryant”.

“There must now be a full, independent investigation into the appalling behaviour of Keir Starmer and his colleagues, who are no better than the Tories when it comes to manipulating the broken Westminster system,” she said.

Continue Reading

Politics

MPs set to debate Gaza ceasefire again as SNP take up Speaker’s offer after Commons chaos

Published

on

By

MPs set to debate Gaza ceasefire again as SNP take up Speaker's offer after Commons chaos

MPs are set to hold another debate on a ceasefire in Gaza after the SNP said it would take up the Speaker’s offer following last week’s chaotic scenes in parliament.

It comes after Sir Lindsay Hoyle faced a backlash last week for breaching convention by allowing a vote on a Labour amendment to an SNP opposition motion calling for an immediate halt to the fighting.

His move was interpreted by critics as an “overtly political decision” designed to help Sir Keir Starmer fend off a rebellion from his own backbenchers, and there were angry scenes as both SNP and Conservative MPs stormed out of the Commons chamber in protest.

Sir Lindsay denied the claims and insisted the safety of MPs was the main reason for his move.

But he apologised twice and offered to grant an emergency debate on a fresh ceasefire motion in acknowledgement that MPs never got a chance to vote on the SNP’s amendment amid the chaos.

The party’s wording last week called for the release of all hostages held by Hamas, but also accused Israel of the war crime of “collective punishment” of the Palestinian people – which Labour’s amendment did not do.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

What happened in the House of Commons?

On Sunday the SNP’s Westminster leader Stephen Flynn confirmed he would take up the debate offer and table a motion this week that will press the Commons to back “concrete actions” to achieve an end to the fighting via pressure at the United Nations.

He said: “More than 29,000 Palestinian children, women and men have been killed, huge swathes of Gaza have been obliterated, and the population faces a worsening humanitarian crisis.

“The SNP will seek to refocus the discussion away from the Westminster circus and on to what really matters – doing everything we can to actually secure an immediate ceasefire in Gaza and Israel.”

Mr Flynn added: “While the appalling spectacle at Westminster has been deeply unedifying, some progress has been made. Public and SNP pressure has forced the next prime minister, Sir Keir Starmer, into a U-turn – now we need to work together to force the UK government to change its position too.”

The SNP said it would publish details of its new motion following discussions with the Speaker on the terms of the debate.

Read more from Sky News:
Threat of flooding as heavy rain forecast
US and Britain launch strikes on Yemen
Israel seeks open-ended control over Gaza

However, it is not clear what the format of the debate will be and if the SNP will be allowed to force a vote.

Sir Lindsay’s offer on Thursday came under the Standing Order 24 rule of the Commons – which grants an emergency debate for MPs to “consider” a topic – which may not be enough to satisfy the party.

More than 70 MPs have signed a no confidence motion in Sir Lindsay following last week’s scenes.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Speaker sorry over ceasefire vote

Critics of the Speaker included Mr Flynn, who said last week that his position was “untenable” and said he “no longer retains the confidence of SNP MPs”.

Meanwhile a fresh debate on the issue could renew and heighten divisions within Labour over its stance on the war.

Labour’s amendment last week called for an “immediate humanitarian ceasefire” but avoided accusing Israel of war crimes.

Israel has faced growing criticism of its actions in Gaza and there are fears over civilian causalities if it launches a ground offensive in the southern Gazan city of Rafah, where around 1.4 million Palestinians have sought refuge.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Gaza: Moment crowds flee as gunfire heard

More than 29,000 Palestinians have died, according to the Hamas-run healthy ministry in the region, since Israel launched its latest military action in Gaza last year.

It came following Hamas’s attack on 7 October, in which around 1,200 people were killed, including more than 800 civilians, according to Israeli officials.

The International Court of Justice (ICJ) last month called on Israel to do everything in its power to prevent acts of genocide in Gaza – but stopped short of ordering an end to its offensive.

Continue Reading

Politics

Tory MPs believe Lee Anderson suspension was a mistake, leaked WhatsApps reveal

Published

on

By

Tory MPs believe Lee Anderson suspension was a mistake, leaked WhatsApps reveal

Tory MPs have complained that suspending Lee Anderson may have been a mistake, WhatsApp messages leaked to Sky News have revealed.

After one of the most toxic weeks in Westminster, the Sky News and Politico podcast, Politics at Jack and Sam’s, examines the attitude of all sides to the controversies of the last few days.

The future of Sir Lindsay Hoyle, the Speaker, remains in the balance – the podcast explains – while both Labour and Tory MPs have got increasingly trenchant in their views ahead of a by-election in Rochdale this Friday which could see George Galloway elected.

Rishi Sunak suspended Mr Anderson on Saturday after the former Tory deputy chair failed to apologise for telling GB News that the mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, had “given our capital city away to his mates”.

Simon Hart, the Tory chief whip, suspended him the next day.

As part of this, the podcast exclusively obtained WhatsApp messages in which Tory MPs complain that the suspension of the high-profile Tory MP is the “final nail in the coffin” and will harm support.

The WhatsApp forum is called the “109 group” of Tory MPs elected in 2019.

More from Politics

Julie Marson shared a news story showing Nigel Farage calling on “cancelled” Lee Anderson to join the Reform party and “destroy” the Tories.

Her colleague Tom Hunt replied: “This isn’t good at all.”

Jill Mortimer shared messages from constituents saying that they would not vote Tory again and that “Lee Anderson’s suspension is the final nail in the party’s coffin”.

Sarah Dines reinforced this, saying she’s had “loads” of similar messages from “random” constituents, not known supporters.

Sarah Atherton said she’d lodged her concerns about Mr Anderson “due to an instant backlash from members”.

Peter Gibson then says the “inbox [is] very positive for Lee”.

Mr Farage, the founder of Reform, has said that Mr Anderson should defect to the party but Richard Tice, the current leader, pointed out that Mr Farage is not the leader.

Continue Reading

Trending