Connect with us

Published

on

Manny Pacquiao’s battle with Errol Spence Jr. won’t be the only welterweight title fight on Aug. 21 in Las Vegas.

Yordenis Ugas will defend his 147-pound title against Fabian Maidana in the chief-support bout on Fox pay-per-view, multiple sources tell ESPN. The other two matchups on the card: a fight between former 147-pound champions Robert Guerrero and Victor Ortiz, along with a 126-pound bout pitting Mark Magsayo vs. Julio Ceja, sources said.

Ugas (26-4, 12 KOs) won the vacant WBA title with a decision-victory over Abel Ramos in September, but it was for the secondary version. The Panama City-based organization is notorious for having two (and in some cases, three or even four) champions in the same division, so it was widely expected Pacquiao would be reinstated as champion ahead of his fight with Spence.

But in a surprise move, the WBA earlier this month rejected Pacquiao’s petition to be recognized as champion, a title the future Hall-of-Famer won from Keith Thurman in 2019. Ugas, ESPN’s No. 6 welterweight, will make his first defense against the brother of Marcos Maidana.

Marcos Maidana, of course, is best known for two PPV fights with Floyd Mayweather, but also for his ferocious in-ring style that included a win over Adrien Broner and a loss to Amir Khan in the 2010 fight of the year.

Fabian Maidana (18-1, 13 KOs) isn’t well known and will be a massive underdog against Ugas.

The 29-year-old Argentine will be challenging for his first title. Ugas has a deep resume as both an amateur and a pro. The 35-year-old dropped a controversial decision to Shawn Porter in a 2019 title fight, but own wins over Thomas Dulorme, Ray Robinson and Jamal James.

The Cuban won Olympic bronze in 2008 and now lives in Miami. In the third welterweight fight on the PPV, former 147-pound champions Guerrero and Ortiz will meet in a bout between two boxers nearing retirement. Both retired once already only to return.

And like Maidana, they both lost to Mayweather. Guerrero, 38, has won three fights against journeymen since suffering three consecutive losses. The Bay Area, California, native is a former three-division champion who possesses an aggressive style.

Guererro (36-6-1, 20 KOs) hasn’t competed since September 2019. It’s been an even longer layoff for Ortiz (32-6-3, 25 KOs). The 34-year-old was last in the ring in February 2018 when he settled for a draw with Devon Alexander. The Southern Californian hasn’t scored a meaningful win since he claimed the title with a 2011 victory over Andre Berto.

Magsayo (22-0, 15 KOs) is promoted by Pacquiao and is stepping way up in competition. A win over Ceja, a former 122-pound champion, should push the 26-year-old Filipino closer to the brink of a top-10 ranking at featherweight.

Ceja (32-4-1, 28 KOs) is coming off a draw with current 122-pound champion Brandon Figueroa. The 28-year-old Mexican was stopped by Guillermo Rigondeaux in the prior bout.

Continue Reading

Sports

Kiffin to make ‘hard decision’ on future Saturday

Published

on

By

Kiffin to make 'hard decision' on future Saturday

STARKVILLE, Miss. — Lane Kiffin said he’ll decide Saturday whether he will return as Ole Miss‘ coach in 2026 or take another job, presumably at LSU, which is trying to poach him from its SEC rival with a lucrative contract offer that will make him one of the highest-paid coaches in college football.

Kiffin, while speaking to reporters after the No. 7 Rebels’ 38-19 victory at Mississippi State in Friday’s Egg Bowl at Davis Wade Stadium, would only say that he’ll have to make a decision one way or the other, after Ole Miss athletics director Keith Carter and chancellor Glenn Boyce said they needed an answer by Saturday.

“I feel like I’ve got to,” Kiffin said.

When Kiffin was asked if he had made up his mind about where he’ll be coaching next season, he said, “Yeah, I haven’t. Maybe that surprises you. But, you know, I’ve got to do some praying and figure this thing out.”

Kiffin said he planned to attend his son’s high school playoff game in Tupelo, Mississippi, on Friday night. Knox Kiffin is Oxford High’s starting quarterback.

“Tonight, I’m going to go be a dad and watch a more important game to me,” Kiffin said.

Kiffin wasn’t sure what time he would make a decision Saturday.

“There’s a lot [that goes] into it,” Kiffin said. “It’s a hard decision. You guys have them all the time. You’ve got to make decisions about jobs you take and where you move, and we get paid a lot so I understand we’re under a lot of spotlight and scrutiny.”

Kiffin said he regretted not being able to speak to his father, Monte Kiffin, while trying to make one of the most important decisions of his career. The longtime NFL defensive coordinator died in July 2024. He was 84.

Kiffin, 50, has sought the advice of former Alabama coach Nick Saban and Las Vegas Raiders coach Pete Carroll, his former boss at USC, the past few weeks.

ESPN reported earlier Friday that Florida, which was also courting Kiffin, is now focused on other candidates in its search because the Gators believe he’s more interested in other opportunities.

Carter and Boyce met with Kiffin a week ago in Oxford, Mississippi, and the sides came to an understanding that Kiffin would make up his mind the day after the Egg Bowl.

If the Egg Bowl was Kiffin’s last game as Ole Miss’ coach, it was a fitting end to one of the most successful tenures in school history.

As speculation about Kiffin’s future continued to swirl over the past two weeks, the Rebels rolled past their rivals for their fifth win in the past six meetings in the heated series. The Rebels had 545 yards of offense, as quarterback Trinidad Chambliss passed for 359 yards with four touchdowns.

The Rebels (11-1, 7-1 SEC) all but secured a spot in the 12-team College Football Playoff. They’ll have to wait another day to find out whether they’ll play in next week’s SEC championship game in Atlanta.

No. 3 Texas A&M would have to fall at No. 16 Texas on Friday night (7:30 p.m. ET, ABC) and No. 10 Alabama would have to lose at Auburn in Saturday’s Iron Bowl (7:30 p.m. ET/ABC) for the Rebels to clinch a spot in the SEC championship game.

And, of course, Ole Miss fans will be waiting Saturday to find out which coaches will be on the sideline for the CFP, which might begin with a first-round game at home on Dec. 19 or 20.

If Kiffin decides to leave for LSU, former New York Giants coach Joe Judge would likely serve as the Rebels’ interim coach in the CFP, sources told ESPN.

Continue Reading

Sports

Oregon State hires Bama’s Shephard as coach

Published

on

By

Oregon State hires Bama's Shephard as coach

Oregon State has named Alabama co-offensive coordinator JaMarcus Shephard as the school’s next head coach, the school announced Friday.

The deal is for five years, per ESPN sources.

Shephard was also Alabama’s assistant head coach and wide receivers coach.

“I’m honored to lead the Oregon State University football program and to join a community that cares so deeply about its student-athletes,” Shephard said in a statement. “We will build a culture rooted in toughness, integrity, and relentless effort, and I’m excited to get to work with our players, staff, and supporters to write the next great chapter of Beaver football.”

Shephard brings significant experience in both the Pacific Northwest and in the Pac-12, as he has worked at both Washington State (2016) and was on Kalen DeBoer’s Washington staff (2022-23) that went to the national title game after the 2023 season.

Shephard replaces Trent Bray, who was fired with a 5-14 record in his second season this October. Oregon State is 2-9 this season, and the athletic department is dealing with the seismic financial shift that came with the traditional Pac-12 fracturing apart.

Alabama has one of the country’s top wide receiving duos in Germie Bernard and Ryan Williams. That group for Shephard comes in the wake of Shephard coaching the best trio of wide receivers in college football in 2023 at Washington: Rome Odunze, Ja’Lynn Polk and Jalen McMillan.

At Purdue, Shephard coached star receivers Rondale Moore, a first-team All-American, and David Bell, who earned first-team All Big Ten honors. At Purdue, he worked as the passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach.

At Washington State in 2016, Shephard coached future NFL receiver River Cracraft. Throughout the years, Shephard has developed a reputation as an elite connector, with an ability to identify and develop talent.

Shephard faces a tough challenge amid the financial uncertainty and roster churn that has come with Oregon State’s new reality outside of a major conference.

Continue Reading

Sports

Sources: Vanderbilt’s Lea lands new 6-year deal

Published

on

By

Sources: Vanderbilt's Lea lands new 6-year deal

In the midst of a historic season for Vanderbilt, the school agreed to a new contract with coach Clark Lea with the aim of keeping Vanderbilt competitive with the top of the SEC.

Per ESPN sources, Lea has a new six-year deal to remain the Commodores coach. This comes amid a hectic coaching cycle in which Lea drew interest from multiple high-end suitors with open jobs.

Lea and Vanderbilt agreed to the deal this week, and it includes a significant salary increase for Lea. It also includes numerous assets to continue the program’s upward trend, including additional resources for both staff and facilities.

Lea has led No. 14 Vanderbilt on a remarkable ascent the past two seasons. This year, he has led Vanderbilt to a 9-2 record and a 5-2 mark in the SEC, as Vanderbilt is part of the College Football Playoff conversation with a chance to get to 10-2 at No. 19 Tennessee this weekend.

Last season, Vanderbilt rattled off a series of firsts in program history, including a first win over a No. 1 team when the Commodores toppled Alabama. It marked the first time since 1955 that Vanderbilt beat Alabama and Auburn in the same season.

Vanderbilt’s turnaround came in sync with a staff overhaul after a 2023 season that saw the team go winless in the SEC. That included the hiring of New Mexico State offensive coordinator Tim Beck in the same role and New Mexico State head coach Jerry Kill in a chief consulting role.

That led to the transfer of dynamic quarterback Diego Pavia, who has spearheaded the culture change on the field for the Commodores.

Following Lea’s extension, sources told ESPN’s Eli Lederman that Vanderbilt is expected to intensify its efforts to flip five-star Georgia quarterback commit Jared Curtis before the early signing period opens next week.

Curtis, ESPN’s No. 1 pocket passer in the 2026 class, is from Nashville and could have the opportunity to compete to start from Day 1 with the Commodores next fall. The 6-foot-4, 225-pound passer has been the top-ranked member of Georgia’s incoming recruiting class since May.

Lea is a longtime successful defensive coach, who took over in Vanderbilt in 2021 after the Commodores went winless in 2020. He came from Notre Dame, where he worked under Brian Kelly. Lea is a protegee of Texas A&M coach Mike Elko, who he worked under at both Wake Forest and Notre Dame when Elko coordinated at those stops.

The strong financial commitment to Lea, his staff and facility upgrades is in line with Vanderbilt’s recent newfound commitment to high-end athletics under Candice Lee, as the school is pushing through more than $300 million in athletic facility upgrades on campus.

Lee is a Vanderbilt alum, and the school has worked hard to channel resources to stay competitive in the SEC.

Vanderbilt continues its season of rare air this weekend, as its only two losses are at Alabama and at Texas. The Commodores have wins over South Carolina, Missouri and LSU, which were all ranked at the time.

Lea is a Nashville native and Vanderbilt graduate.

Continue Reading

Trending