The UK will take up to 20,000 vulnerable Afghans over the coming years as part of a resettlement plan, following the Taliban takeover of their country.
Under the new bespoke scheme – modelled on the UK’s seven-year programme to resettle Syrian refugees – the prime minister has promised thousands of Afghans who are most in need will be relocated to Britain.
The government aims for up to 5,000 Afghans who are at risk due to the current crisis in their country to be resettled in the UK in the scheme’s first year.
Priority will be given to women and girls, and religious and other minorities, who are most at risk of human rights abuses and maltreatment by the Taliban.
Image: Boris Johnson will address MPs on the unfolding crisis in Afghanistan. Pic: Andrew Parsons /10 Downing St
Mr Johnson, who spoke with US President Joe Biden on Tuesday night, unveiled the plans ahead of an emergency five-hour debate in the House of Commons on Wednesday on the unfolding crisis in Afghanistan.
Advertisement
But the prime minister has already faced calls – including from among his own Conservative MPs – to make a more generous commitment on welcoming Afghans to the UK.
The government has said the bespoke resettlement scheme will be kept under further review beyond its first year, with up to a total of 20,000 Afghans offered relocation in the long-term.
More on Afghanistan
Yet former cabinet minister David Davis, a one-time Conservative leadership contender, said the UK should be looking to accept more than 50,000 Afghans due to a “more direct moral responsibility” following Britain’s two decades’ of military intervention in Afghanistan.
The SNP’s Westminster leader Ian Blackford said the UK should aim to grant asylum to 35,000 or more Afghan refugees, while the Liberal Democrats said the resettlement of 20,000 Afghans in Britain should be “the starting point” and “not the target”.
Labour said the government’s proposed resettlement scheme “does not meet the scale of the challenge” and risked “leaving people in Afghanistan in deadly danger”.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
Kabul airport chaos as people cling to plane
As well as questions over the UK’s commitment to vulnerable Afghans, Mr Johnson is also likely to face a Commons grilling over the current efforts to evacuate British nationals from Afghanistan, as well as the speed with which the Taliban were able to retake control of the country of nearly 40 million people.
Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab could also face questions about why he was abroad on holiday when the Taliban entered Afghanistan’s capital Kabul.
The Syrian resettlement scheme saw 20,000 refugees relocate to the UK between 2014 and its closure earlier this year.
The Home Office admitted the new Afghanistan scheme faced “significant challenges” due to the “complex picture on the ground” in the country, but said ministers were “working at speed” to address those obstacles.
The prime minister is expected to discuss with other world leaders – at a virtual G7 meeting in the coming days – how a system can be developed to identify those most at risk in Afghanistan.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
The Taliban holds first news conference
The new Afghanistan scheme is separate to the existing Afghan Relocations and Assistance Policy (ARAP), which offers any current or former staff employed by the UK in Afghanistan – and whose lives are judged to be under serious threat – priority relocation to the UK.
Some 5,000 former Afghan staff and their family members are expected to be relocated to the UK by the end of this year under ARAP.
Since June, more than 2,000 former Afghan staff and their families have already been resettled in the UK under the policy.
Work continues to evacuate both British nationals, their families and former Afghan staff from Afghanistan on military flights.
Amid warnings of a “horror show” in Afghan capital Kabul as people struggle to reach planes in order to leave the country, the man in charge of the UK’s evacuation effort admitted that it was up to those fleeing to make their own way to the city’s airport.
“Much of that journey actually is for them to undertake,” said Vice Admiral Sir Ben Key, the commander of joint operations, as he offered a stark assessment of the extent of Afghanistan’s collapse into Taliban control.
“It’s quite obvious that the Taliban are now the prevalent security providers across Afghanistan, that’s a fact,” he added.
Since Saturday, 520 British nationals, diplomats and former Afghan staff have left the country on UK military flights.
Sir Ben said a total of between 6,000-7,000 British nationals, entitled persons and ARAP staff might need evacuating, although he admitted “we don’t really know” how long the UK will have to get them out of the country.
The Home Office said the new resettlement scheme for Afghan refugees would “not compromise on national security” and each person arriving on the route would have to pass strict security checks.
Commenting on the scheme, the prime minister said: “We owe a debt of gratitude to all those who have worked with us to make Afghanistan a better place over the last 20 years.
“Many of them, particularly women, are now in urgent need of our help. I am proud that the UK has been able to put in place this route to help them and their families live safely in the UK.
“The best solution for everyone is an Afghanistan that works for all Afghans.
“That means the international community coming together to set firm, political conditions for the country’s future governance.
“And it means focusing our efforts on increasing the resilience of the wider region to prevent a humanitarian emergency.”
Home Secretary Priti Patel said the scheme would “save lives”.
“We will not abandon people who have been forced to flee their homes and are now living in terror of what might come next,” she added.
Crypto-friendly billionaire investor Bill Ackman is considering the possibility that US President Donald Trump may pause the implementation of his controversial proposed tariffs on April 7.
“One would have to imagine that President Donald Trump’s phone has been ringing off the hook. The practical reality is that there is insufficient time for him to make deals before the tariffs are scheduled to take effect,” Ackman, founder of Pershing Square Capital Management, said in an April 5 X post.
Trump may postpone tariffs to make more deals, says Ackman
“I would, therefore, not be surprised to wake up Monday with an announcement from the President that he was postponing the implementation of the tariffs to give him time to make deals,” Ackman added.
On April 2, Trump signed an executive order establishing a 10% baseline tariff on all imports from all countries, which took effect on April 5. Harsher reciprocal tariffs on trading partners with which the US has the largest trade deficits are scheduled to kick in on April 9.
Ackman — who famously said “crypto is here to stay” after the FTX collapse in November 2022 — said Trump captured the attention of the world and US trading partners, backing the tariffs as necessary after what he called an “unfair tariff regime” that hurt US workers and economy “over many decades.”
Following Trump’s announcement on April 2, the US stock market shed more value during the April 4 trading session than the entire crypto market is currently worth. The fact that crypto held up better than the US stock market caught the attention of both crypto industry supporters and skeptics.
Prominent crypto voices such as BitMEX co-founder Arthur Hayes and Gemini co-founder Cameron Winklevoss also recently showed their support for Trump’s tariffs.
Ackman said a pause would be a logical move by Trump — not just to allow time for closing potential deals but also to give companies of all sizes “time to prepare for changes.” He added:
“The risk of not doing so is that the massive increase in uncertainty drives the economy into a recession, potentially a severe one.”
Ackman said April 7 will be “one of the more interesting days” in US economic history.
Satoshi Nakamoto, the pseudonymous creator of Bitcoin, marks their 50th birthday amid a year of rising institutional and geopolitical adoption of the world’s first cryptocurrency.
The identity of Nakamoto remains one of the biggest mysteries in crypto, with speculation ranging from cryptographers like Adam Back and Nick Szabo to broader theories involving government intelligence agencies.
While Nakamoto’s identity remains anonymous, the Bitcoin (BTC) creator is believed to have turned 50 on April 5 based on details shared in the past.
According to archived data from his P2P Foundation profile, Nakamoto once claimed to be a 37-year-old man living in Japan and listed his birthdate as April 5, 1975.
Nakamoto’s anonymity has played a vital role in maintaining the decentralized nature of the Bitcoin network, which has no central authority or leadership.
The Bitcoin wallet associated with Nakamoto, which holds over 1 million BTC, has laid dormant for more than 16 years despite BTC rising from $0 to an all-time high above $109,000 in January.
Satoshi Nakamoto statue in Lugano, Switzerland. Source: Cointelegraph
Nakamoto’s 50th birthday comes nearly a month after US President Donald Trump signed an executive order creating a Strategic Bitcoin Reserve and a Digital Asset Stockpile, marking the first major step toward integrating Bitcoin into the US financial system.
Nakamoto’s legacy: a “cornerstone of economic sovereignty”
“At 50, Nakamoto’s legacy is no longer just code; it’s a cornerstone of economic sovereignty,” according to Anndy Lian, author and intergovernmental blockchain expert.
“Bitcoin’s reserve status signals trust in its scarcity and resilience,” Lian told Cointelegraph, adding:
“What’s fascinating is the timing. Fifty feels symbolic — half a century of life, mirrored by Bitcoin’s journey from a white paper to a trillion-dollar asset. Nakamoto’s vision of trustless, peer-to-peer money has outgrown its cypherpunk roots, entering the halls of power.”
However, lingering questions about Nakamoto remain unanswered, including whether they still hold the keys to their wallet, which is “a fortune now tied to US policy,” Lian said.
In February, Arkham Intelligence published findings that attribute 1.096 million BTC — then valued at more than $108 billion — to Nakamoto. That would place him above Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates on the global wealth rankings, according to data shared by Coinbase director Conor Grogan.
If accurate, this would make Nakamoto the world’s 16th richest person.
Despite the growing interest in Nakamoto’s identity and holdings, his early decision to remain anonymous and inactive has helped preserve Bitcoin’s decentralized ethos — a principle that continues to define the cryptocurrency to this day.