Connect with us

Published

on

Former Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes leaves after a hearing at a federal court in San Jose, California, July 17, 2019.
Stephen Lam | Reuters

Nearly a decade ago, Elizabeth Holmes was proclaimed the golden girl of Silicon Valley, and briefly crowned America’s youngest female self-made billionaire.

This week, she’ll walk into a San Jose federal courthouse with a very different image: a defendant charged accused of fraud. 

Federal prosecutors in the Northern District of California have accused Holmes and Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani, former Theranos president and for a time her romantic partner, of defrauding investors and patients. They each face two counts of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and 10 counts of wire fraud. Holmes and Balwani, who will be tried separately, pleaded not guilty.

Jury selection in Holmes’ trial will begin Tuesday and is expected to take at least two days, a process that typically takes less than a day in lower-profile cases. Opening statements are scheduled for Sept. 8 and the trial is expected to last 13 weeks.

If convicted, Holmes could face 20 years in prison. Prosecutors say Holmes not only swindled investors of hundreds of millions of dollars, but she also put thousands of lives at risk.

The rise and fall of Theranos

Holmes’ saga began when she had a vision of running hundreds of laboratory tests with just a finger prick of blood. She dropped out of Stanford at age 19 to start Theranos. The idea was to make blood tests cheaper, convenient and accessible to consumers.

The company struck partnerships with Walgreens and the grocery chain Safeway. Her board of directors included luminaries such as former Secretaries of State Henry Kissinger and the late George Shultz and former Secretary of Defense James Mattis.

But Holmes’ vision turned upside down in 2015 after Wall Street Journal reporter John Carreyrou published a series of damning reports exposing the shortcomings and inaccuracies of Theranos’ technology.

Patients were given inaccurate test results relating to conditions such as HIV, cancer and miscarriages.

“She commercialized a medical product that she knew did not work, her machine only did a handful of tests that did not do them well at all,” Carreyrou said in an interview with CNBC last week.

In 2018, Holmes and Balwani were charged with “massive fraud” by the Securities and Exchange Commission. That led to Theranos being dissolved and Holmes settling with the SEC. She agreed to pay $500,000 without admitting or denying the charges. Balwani intends to fight the SEC charges.

The investors

Holmes once had some of the most powerful and wealthiest venture capitalists in America behind her healthcare start-up Theranos.

Investors such as media mogul Rupert Murdoch, former Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, the Walton family of Walmart fame, the Cox family, Patriots owner Robert Kraft and Mexican investor Carlos Slim became so enchanted with her they poured millions into Theranos.

Some of those investors are expected to testify in Holmes’ trial. All of the major investors, who doled out $700 million over the course of a decade, did not respond to CNBC’s request for a comment. Prosecutors allege the investors were swayed by exaggerations and misrepresentations of the blood-testing technology.

“When a deal turns into this, you don’t want to be on that list of investors anymore,” said Kevin O’Leary, chairman of O’Shares ETFs and a judge on CNBC’s “Money Court.”

O’Leary, who said about 20% of his investments have failed, didn’t mince words when asked about the fallout from Theranos investors.

“You can understand how embarrassing it is to get a zero like that,” O’Leary said. “Clearly means you didn’t do your due diligence which all investors know is a mistake. When there’s a really hot deal, what suffers immediately is the diligence process. You’re just questioning if you can get into the deal.”

According to the indictment, prosecutors say there were six wire transfers from unnamed investors that they allege were the result of fraudulent claims about what they were getting in return.

“It’s going to be highly scrutinized and the investors will be dragged back into the press again and shamed for it,” O’Leary said. “I can guarantee you this, it will change nothing. When this is over whatever happens, it will happen again. I guarantee nothing changes in regards to investment in Silicon Valley.”

A Silicon Valley tale

Instead of being an example of Silicon Valley’s best, Theranos turned into a black eye for start-ups.

One of Holmes’ defense strategies may be to blame the so-called “fake it ’til you make it” motto of Silicon Valley. Earlier this year, the judge ruled her defense team can lean on the hype and exaggeration of start-up founders to explain Holmes’ own actions. 

“It’s going to be a wake-up call for venture capitalists and young entrepreneurs in Silicon Valley,” Carreyrou said. “If you go too far, if you push the envelope and hype and exaggerate to the point of lying, it becomes securities fraud.”

However, if she’s found not guilty, some say it could encourage risk taking.

“It’s going to a take guilty verdict to course correct and even a guilty verdict in this case might not be enough,” Carreyrou said.

Mental health defense

Explosive new court documents unsealed just days before jury selection shed light on how Holmes’ lawyers might mount a mental health defense. In the filings, Holmes claims she was the victim of “a decade-long” abuse by Balwani, whom she met when she was 18.

The documents reveal she plans to claim he psychologically, emotionally and sexually abused her. According to one filing, Holmes accused Balwani of throwing sharp objects at her, controlling what she ate, when she slept, how she dressed and monitoring her calls and text messages. Balwani denied the claims.

The court filings also revealed Holmes plans to take the stand in her own defense, a move many legal experts say is a risky one.

“It’s an uphill battle: Balwani may have exercised influence on her, due to his age or prior successes,” said Danny Cevallos, an NBC News legal analyst. “But will she convince a jury that his influence excused her own conduct?”

Today, with her trial repeatedly delayed she’s now the mother of a newborn. Holmes, who once was a ubiquitous presence in the media, stays silent and ignores reporters’ questions every time she enters and exits the courthouse.

That will all change if she does indeed take the stand to finally tell her side of the story.

Continue Reading

Technology

How black boxes became key to solving airplane crashes

Published

on

By

How black boxes became key to solving airplane crashes

After the search for survivors and recovery of victims in tragic aviation accidents — like that of a UPS cargo plane shortly after takeoff from Louisville Muhammad Ali International Airport in Kentucky last month — comes the search for flight data and a cockpit voice recorder often called the “black box.”

Every commercial plane has them. Aerospace giants GE Aerospace and Honeywell are among a few companies that design them to be nearly indestructible so they can help investigators understand the cause of a crash.

“They’re very crucial because it’s one of the few sources of information that tells us what happened leading up to the accident,” said Chris Babcock, branch chief of the vehicle recorder division at the National Transportation Safety Board. “We can get a lot of information from parts and from the airplane.”

Commercial aircraft have become very complex. A Boeing 787 Dreamliner records thousands of different pieces of information. In the case of the Air India crash in June, data revealed both engine fuel switches were put into a cutoff position within one second of each other. A voice recording from inside the cockpit captured the pilots discussing the cutoffs.

“All of those parameters today can have a very huge impact on the investigation,” said former NTSB member John Goglia. “It’s our goal to to provide information back to our investigators who are on scene as quick as we can to help move the investigation forward.”

This crucial data can also help prevent future accidents. A crash can cost airlines or plane manufacturers hundreds of millions of dollars and leave victims’ families with a lifetime of grief.

But in some circumstances black boxes were destroyed or never found. Experts say further developments such as cockpit video recorders and real-time data streaming are needed.

“The technology is there. Crash worthy cockpit video recorders are already being installed in a lot of helicopters and other types of airplanes, but they’re not required,” said Jeff Guzzetti, aviation analyst and former accident investigator for the Federal Aviation Administration and NTSB. “There’s privacy and cost issues involving cockpit video recorders but the NTSB has been recommending that the FAA require them for years now.”

Watch the video to learn more.

CNBC’s Leslie Josephs contributed to this report.

Continue Reading

Technology

Stocks end November with mixed results despite a strong Thanksgiving week rally

Published

on

By

Stocks end November with mixed results despite a strong Thanksgiving week rally

Continue Reading

Technology

Palantir has worst month in two years as AI stocks sell off

Published

on

By

Palantir has worst month in two years as AI stocks sell off

CEO of Palantir Technologies Alex Karp attends the Pennsylvania Energy and Innovation Summit, at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S., July 15, 2025.

Nathan Howard | Reuters

It’s been a tough November for Palantir.

Shares of the software analytics provider dropped 16% for their worst month since August 2023 as investors dumped AI stocks due to valuation fears. Meanwhile, famed investor Michael Burry doubled down on the artificial intelligence trade and bet against the company.

Palantir started November off on a high note.

The Denver-based company topped Wall Street’s third-quarter earnings and revenue expectations. Palantir also posted its second-straight $1 billion revenue quarter, but high valuation concerns contributed to a post-print selloff.

In a note to clients, Jefferies analysts called Palantir’s valuation “extreme” and argued investors would find better risk-reward in AI names such as Microsoft and Snowflake. Analysts at RBC Capital Markets raised concerns about the company’s “increasingly concentrated growth profile,” while Deutsche Bank called the valuation “very difficult to wrap our heads around.”

Adding fuel to the post-earnings selloff was the revelation that Burry is betting against Palantir and AI chipmaker Nvidia. Burry, who is widely known for predicting the housing crisis that occurred in 2008 and the portrayal of him in the film “The Big Short,” later accused hyperscalers of artificially boosting earnings.

Palantir CEO Alex Karp vocally hit the front lines, appearing twice in one week on CNBC, where he accused Burry of “market manipulation” and called the investor’s actions “egregious.”

“The idea that chips and ontology is what you want to short is bats— crazy,” Karp told CNBC’s “Squawk Box.”

Despite the vicious selloff, Palantir has notched some deal wins this month. That included a multiyear contract with consulting firm PwC to speed up AI adoption in the U.K. and a deal with aircraft engine maintenance company FTAI.

But those announcements did little to shake off valuation worries that have haunted all AI-tied companies in November.

Across the board, investors have viciously ditched the high-priced group, citing fears of stretched valuations and a bubble.

In November, Nvidia pulled back more than 12%, while Microsoft and Amazon dropped about 5% each. Quantum computing names such as Rigetti Computing and D-Wave Quantum have shed more than a third of their value.

Apple and Alphabet were the only Magnificent 7 stocks to end the month with gains.

Sill, questions linger over Palantir’s valuation, and those worries aren’t a new concern.

Even after its steep price drop, the company’s stock trades at 233 times forward earnings. By comparison, Nvidia and Alphabet traded at about 38 times and 30 times, respectively, at Friday’s close.

Karp, who has long defended the company, didn’t miss an opportunity to clap back at his critics, arguing in a letter to shareholders that the company is making it feasible for everyday investors to attain rates of return once “limited to the most successful venture capitalists in Palo Alto.”

“Please turn on the conventional television and see how unhappy those that didn’t invest in us are,” Karp said during an earnings call. “Enjoy, get some popcorn. They’re crying. We are every day making this company better, and we’re doing it for this nation, for allied countries.”

Palantir declined to comment for this story.

WATCH: Palantir CEO Alex Karp: We’ve printed venture results for the average American

Palantir CEO Alex Karp: We've printed venture results for the average American

Continue Reading

Trending