Boris Johnson’s government has reneged on key promises it has made in the efforts to combat climate change, according to one of the most senior Conservative environmentalists.
The Tory chair of the Climate Change Committee – which advises the government on tackling global warming – has condemned the decision by ministers to give into Australian demands to water down environmental protections in the UK-Australia trade deal.
Earlier on Wednesday, Sky News published a leaked government email that revealed Liz Truss, the international trade secretary, and Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng decided the government could “drop both of the climate asks” from the text of the trade deal.
Image: The PM with his Australian counterpart Scott Morrison in June
Among the areas to be removed was “a reference to Paris Agreement temperature goals”, with the revelation coming less than two months before the UK hosts the COP26 international climate change summit in Glasgow.
Sky News understands the treaty text will contain a reference to Paris, but the reference to specific temperature commitments is disappearing.
Advertisement
This was bitterly condemned by Tory peer Lord Deben, the chairman of the Climate Change Committee, an independent body advising the government on its climate targets.
As the MP John Gummer, he was an environment secretary in Sir John Major’s government.
More on Boris Johnson
Lord Deben told Sky News the change agreed by Ms Truss and Mr Kwarteng “mattered enormously”.
“The government promised that they would not do any of those things, and listen to ministers in the House of Lords saying that, and so it’s to go back on all the promises that they’ve made,” he said.
“If we’re not prepared to hang our hat on the Paris Agreement, to which we have put our solemn promise, and which we have put by law into action in this country, when we are dealing with Australia, which is one of the recalcitrant nations, one of the countries that’s not doing what it ought to do, then really we are not taking the lead at all and to do this at a time before COP26 is very serious.”
Asked why keeping broad commitments to the Paris climate change agreement was not enough, Lord Deben replied: “We just have to stick to this, the moment you make it woolly and not certain… why do you think the Australians ask for it?
“It’s because the Australians will not commit themselves, they are large exporters of coal, they are destroying your climate and my climate and they have to come back to the world stage and work with the rest of us.”
Government sources confirmed that the references to temperature are now “implicit” rather than spelt out in the text of the trade treaty.
This is different from the UK-EU trade deal where the temperature commitments are explicitly in the deal.
Analysis by Sam Coates, deputy political editor
Privately government sources claim the climate compromise in this trade negotiation is, in fact, good for the environment.
They say they have secured a first: Australia will reference the Paris agreement in a free trade agreement for the first time. They point to the fact there will be a whole chapter on the environment in the final text.
But there is no getting away from the simple fact that binding temperature commitments have been dropped. In other FTAs, like the one signed between the UK and EU, those commitments are explicit.
The political significance is what this reveals about government priorities. In the year the UK is hosting the COP 26 climate conference in Glasgow, Boris Johnson could have chosen to make temperature commitments a red line in the trade talks with Australia. It would have been a statement on the centrality of climate change in his agenda.
The consequence of such a statement, however, would have likely been trade talks taking longer and the UK having to give ground in other areas.
When it comes to government priorities, what this all demonstrates is that securing a swift trade deal with Australia has been placed above securing temperature commitments.
The UK government will argue that it has nevertheless secured a “win” on climate by referencing the Paris Agreement in the text of the treaty, the first time this has happened in an Australian trade deal.
The 11th hour change comes three months after Mr Johnson and Scott Morrison, his Australian counterpart, announced they had come to an in-principle agreement over a trade deal.
Both the Australian and UK government played down the significance of the leaked email, which reveals ministers agreed to drop specific climate change temperature targets.
However Sky News talked to a leading Australian politician who made clear that this was an important red line to secure a deal.
Matt Cavanan, the Queensland senator and a former resources minister in the Australian government, said it was right the UK had dropped the requirement from the deal.
“We have always separated our trade policy settings from the domestic policy concerns or priorities of other countries,” he said.
“That’s for them to decide and we’ve always respected other countries to do that.
“I welcome the fact the UK is recognising we are no longer a colony of the UK. The UK does not get to decide what policies are put in place here in Australia.”
Mr Cavanan made clear his scepticism about the Paris Agreement.
“Keep in mind the Paris Agreement is non-binding, it’s not law, it did not go through the US Senate,” he added.
“It was not considered a treaty – it’s an aspirational agreement a bunch of countries signed up to. There was no law that passed through the Australian parliament to give effect to Paris targets.
“I didn’t go to Paris commitment negotiations, I am not going to Glasgow later this year, I won’t be bound by anything discussed at those conferences, I represent the people who vote me in to the Australian parliament.
“Those are the views I resect and am committed to as a senator.”
The email seen by Sky News was sent last month and reveals details about the internal government discussion over the UK-Australia trade deal involving Ms Truss, Mr Kwarteng and Lord Frost, the Brexit minister who also co-ordinates cross-government positions on trade issues.
The email comes from a senior official, a deputy director, in the “trade secretariat” part of the Cabinet Office.
He writes: “As flagged in my note to Lord Frost, the business and trade secretaries were due to speak yesterday.
“We haven’t yet seen the formal read out, but we understand the conversation took place and the business secretary has agreed that, in order to get the Australia FTA over the line, DIT can drop both of the climate asks (ie on precedence of Multilateral Environmental Agreements over FTA provisions and a reference to Paris Agreement temperature goals).”
One member of the government’s Strategic Trade Advisory Group, Matthew Kilcoyne, said the change was only for Australian domestic political reasons.
Mr Kilcoyne, deputy director of the Adam Smith Institute, told Sky News: “The final text no longer makes reference to 1.5 degrees, but it makes reference explicitly to the Paris Agreement which does make explicit reference to that 1.5 degrees, and it holds Australia to that.
“So it’s the first time actually that Australia has ever signed up to an agreement of the Paris Agreement in an international trade treaty, and it proves actually that the UK government is holding them to account.
“And we know that the UK government wants to go further than that, because that’s why they’re holding COP26 in Glasgow in a few months’ time – it is really quite an important document mentioning Paris in the first place.
“The fact that it doesn’t mention 1.5, it really is neither here nor there.”
Watch the Daily Climate Show at 6.30pm Monday to Friday on Sky News, the Sky News website and app, on YouTube and Twitter.
The show investigates how global warming is changing our landscape and highlights solutions to the crisis.
Reform UK has hit back at both the Archbishop of York and the government following criticism of its immigration policies.
Leader Nigel Farage announced the party’s flagship immigration plan during a flashy news conference held at an aircraft hangar in Oxford on Tuesday.
The party pledged to deport anybody who comes to the UK illegally, regardless of whether they might come to harm, and said it would pay countries with questionable human rights records – such as Afghanistan – to take people back.
It also said it would leave numerous international agreements, and revoke the Human Rights Act, in order to do this.
The policy was criticised by the Conservatives, who said Mr Farage was “copying our homework”, while parties such as the Liberal Democrats and the Greens condemned it.
More on Migrant Crossings
Related Topics:
Image: Archbishop Stephen Cottrell and Richard Tice MP. Pics: PA
But the plan came under fire from an altogether different angle on Saturday, when the Archbishop of York accused it of being an “isolationist, short-term kneejerk” approach, with no “long-term solutions”.
Stephen Cottrell, who is the acting head of the Church of England, told Sunday Morning With Trevor Phillips that he had “every sympathy” with those who find the issue of immigration tricky. But he said Reform UK’s plan does “nothing to address the issue of what brings people to this country”, and would in fact, make “the problem worse”.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
10:50
In full: Richard Tice on Sunday Morning With Trevor Phillips
Speaking on the same programme, Richard Tice, Reform’s deputy leader, responded to the archbishop’s criticisms, saying that “all of it is wrong”.
The MP for Boston and Skegness said he was a Christian who “enjoys” the church – but that the “role of the archbishop is not actually to interfere with international migration policies”.
Mr Tice then turned his fire on the government, accusing ministers of being “more interested in protecting the rights of people who’ve come here illegally… than looking after the rights of British citizens”.
He accused ministers of having “abandoned” their duty of “looking after the interests of British citizens”.
Mr Tice reaffirmed his party’s policy that the UK should leave the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR), calling it a “70-year-old, out-of-date, unfit-for-purpose agreement”.
The Reform UK deputy leader also:
• Defended plans to pay the Taliban to take migrants back, comparing it to doing business deals with “people you don’t like”
• Said the Royal Navy should be deployed in the English Channel as a “deterrent”, but added: “We’re not saying sink the boats”
• Urged the government to call an early general election
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
18:09
Farage ‘wants to provoke anger’
Meanwhile, Bridget Phillipson, the education secretary, told Sky News that Reform “want to provoke anger, but they don’t actually want to solve the problems that we face in front of us”.
She told Sunday Morning With Trevor Phillips the UK had a “proud tradition [of] supporting those facing persecution”.
But she added: “We will make sure that people who have no right to be in this country are removed from this country. That’s right. It’s what people expect. It’s what this government will deliver.”
Ms Phillipson also insisted there “needs to be reform of the ECHR” and said the home secretary is “looking at the article eight provisions”, which cover the right to a private and family life, to see “whether they need updating and reforming for the modern age”.
Spotify
This content is provided by Spotify, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Spotify cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.
Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Spotify cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Spotify cookies for this session only.
However, she refused to say what the government would do if it is found that the ECHR is unreformable. Instead, she defended Labour’s position of staying in the governance of the convention, saying that honouring the “rule of law” is important.
She added: “Our standing in the world matters if we want to strike trade deals with countries. We need to be a country that’s taken seriously. We need to be a country that honours our obligations and honours the rule of law.”
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
1:15:33
Sunday Morning With Trevor Phillips
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
1:35
Asylum seekers to remain at Bell Hotel
Ms Phillipson was also drawn on the recent court ruling in favour of the Home Office, which overturned an injunction banning The Bell Hotel in Epping from housing asylum seekers.
Challenged on whether the government is prioritising the rights of asylum seekers over British citizens, she said it “is about a balance of rights”.
The cabinet minister also repeated the government’s plans to end the use of hotels to house asylum seekers by 2029.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
7:08
‘We should have overruled law’
Shadow Cabinet Office minister Alex Burghart said the Conservatives would be willing to leave the ECHR – if this route is recommended to them.
The Tories have asked a senior judge to look into the “legal intricacies” of leaving the convention, which he said is “not straightforward”. He said when the party receives that report, it will then make a decision.
Challenged on whether the Tories will leave if that is what the report recommends, he added: “If that’s what’s necessary, we will do it.”
Mr Burghart also said he believed the previous Conservative government’s biggest mistake was that “we did not go far enough on overruling human rights legislation”, which prevented it from “taking the tough action that was absolutely necessary”.
But he added the Conservatives have now “put forward very clear legislation that would solve this problem” – though he concluded Labour “isn’t going to do it” so the problem “is going to get worse”.
The Archbishop of York has told Sky News the UK should resist Reform’s “kneejerk” plan for the mass deportation of migrants, telling Nigel Farage he is not offering any “long-term solution”.
Stephen Cottrell said in an interview with Trevor Phillips he has “every sympathy” with people who are concerned about asylum seekers coming to the country illegally.
But he criticised the plan announced by Reform on Tuesday to deport 600,000 people, which would be enabled by striking deals with the Taliban and Iran, saying it will not “solve the problem”.
Mr Cottrell is currently acting head of the Church of England while a new Archbishop of Canterbury is chosen.
Image: Pic: Jacob King/PA Wire
Image: The Archbishop of York, Stephen Cottrell in 2020.
File pic: PA
Phillips asked him: “What’s your response to the people who are saying the policy should be ‘you land here, unlawfully, you get locked up and you get deported straight away. No ifs, no buts’?”
Mr Cottrell said he would tell them “you haven’t solved the problem”, adding: “You’ve just put it somewhere else and you’ve done nothing to address the issue of what brings people to this country.
More on Migrant Crisis
Related Topics:
“And so if you think that’s the answer, you will discover in due course that all you have done is made the problem worse.
“Don’t misunderstand me, I have every sympathy with those who find this difficult, every sympathy – as I do with those living in poverty.
“But… we should actively resist the kind of isolationist, short term kneejerk ‘send them home’.”
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
2:04
What do public make of Reform’s plans?
Image: Nigel Farage at the launch of Reform UK’s plan to deport asylum seekers. Pic: PA
Asked if that was his message to the Reform leader, he said: “Well, it is. I mean, Mr Farage is saying the things he’s saying, but he is not offering any long-term solution to the big issues which are convulsing our world, which lead to this. And, I see no other way.”
Mr Farage, the MP for Clacton, was asked at a news conference this week what he would say if Christian leaders opposed his plan.
“Whoever the Christian leaders are at any given point in time, I think over the last decades, quite a few of them have been rather out of touch, perhaps with their own flock,” he said.
“We believe that what we’re offering is right and proper, and we believe for a political party that was founded around the slogan of family, community, country that we are doing right by all of those things, with these plans we put forward today.”
Sky News has approached Mr Farage for comment.
Farage won’t be greeting this as good news of the gospel – nor will govt ministers
When Tony Blair’s spin doctor Alastair Campbell told journalists that “We don’t do God”, many took it as a statement of ideology.
In fact it was the caution of a canny operator who knows that the most dangerous opponent in politics is a religious leader licensed to challenge your very morality.
Stephen Cottrell, the Archbishop of York, currently the effective head of the worldwide Anglican communion, could not have been clearer in his denunciation of what he calls the Reform party’s “isolationist, short term, kneejerk ‘send them home'” approach to asylum and immigration.
I sense that having ruled himself out of the race for next Archbishop of Canterbury, Reverend Cottrell feels free to preach a liberal doctrine.
Unusually, in our interview he pinpoints a political leader as, in effect, failing to demonstrate Christian charity.
Nigel Farage, who describes himself as a practising Christian, won’t be greeting this as the good news of the gospel.
But government ministers will also be feeling nervous.
Battered for allowing record numbers of cross- Channel migrants, and facing legal battles on asylum hotels that may go all the way to the Supreme Court, Labour has tried to head off the Reform challenge with tougher language on border control.
The last thing the prime minister needs right now is to make an enemy of the Almighty – or at least of his representatives on Earth.