Connect with us

Published

on

Rising COVID-19 cases heading into winter “suggest this peak could be as serious as the last”, the UK’s former chief scientific adviser has warned.

Sir David King was speaking to Sky News a day after 49,156 cases were reported – the highest since mid-July.

Cases have been regularly over 40,000 in the last week – with the high numbers mainly being attributed to infections among schoolchildren.

“The disease is rising to another peak, and this peak could be as serious as the last,” Sir David told Sky’s Kay Burley.

Live COVID updates from the UK and around the world

It comes as a former World Health Organization director claimed the UK had the highest COVID-19 case rates in the world and a death rate far higher than China.

Professor Anthony Costello accused the government and advisers of being “silent” on the issue.

Downing Street said on Monday that the winter months look “challenging” and that it was keeping a “close watch” on cases.

However, it said new infections were roughly in line with predictions and that the vaccine programme had “substantially” broken the link between cases, hospitalisations, and deaths.

Follow the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

The latest seven-day average for deaths is 124.1, while the latest count for people in hospital for COVID is 7,097.

Both are much lower than the winter peak in January, and cases remain below the initial prediction of 100,000 per day made by the health secretary ahead of England’s so-called Freedom Day.

But there are fears these numbers could rise significantly in the coming months.

EMBARGOED TO 1300 THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 16 People receiving a Covid-19 booster jab, administered at Croydon University Hospital, south London, as the NHS begins its Covid-19 Booster Vaccination Campaign. Picture date: Thursday September 16, 2021.
Image:
Booster jabs are being administered, but Sir David said the rollout was too slow

Sir David also criticised the booster jab rollout as going “extremely slowly”.

“I do know many older people who haven’t had their booster – I can’t understand this. If the vaccines are available, what’s happening to the rollout?” he said.

A third COVID-19 jab is to be offered to groups including over-50s, vulnerable groups, and people who work in care homes and frontline health care.

The NHS will contact those who are eligible, so long as it’s been at least six months since their second jab.

How and when can you get your COVID booster jab?

You will be offered a booster dose at least six months after you had your second dose.

The NHS will get in touch to let you know when it’s your turn to have a booster dose. People have been asked not to contact the NHS for one before then.

Most will be invited to book an appointment at a larger vaccination centre, pharmacy, or local NHS service – such as a GP surgery.

Frontline health or social care workers can book a booster dose appointment online. These people don’t need to wait to be contacted by the NHS.

For those who work for an NHS trust or a care home, they will usually get their booster vaccine through their employer.

For more information about the booster vaccine, there is a dedicated NHS page here.

The UK’s former science chief also expressed frustration at lower levels of mask wearing now most COVID rules have been scrapped.

“How many people are still wearing masks? And for goodness’ sake, why not?” said Sir David.

“I just don’t understand why when I get into a train or an Underground, I don’t see everybody wearing masks. Why aren’t we still requiring people to travel with masks, to go into buildings with masks?

“It just seems a very simple thing.”

Mask rules in the UK

  • England: Only required in health care settings and care homes
  • Scotland: Required in shops, on public transport, in restaurants and pubs when not seated, and in indoor settings at universities and secondary schools
  • Wales: Required on public transport and in all public indoor spaces other than restaurants and pubs
  • Northern Ireland: Required in shops and hospitality venues, and on public transport

He also cautioned over the thousands of people coming to the UK for the COP26 climate summit in Glasgow, calling it a “massive potential rollout of the disease”.

“It’s a viral factory to put all those people together from 197 nations of the world,” he said.

“I really worry about it – not because they will bring disease into use, but because we are the country with a very high level of virus, and we will be passing on to them.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Health secretary: The COVID ‘plan B’ for winter

The government last month set out a Plan A and B for dealing with COVID over winter, as it hopes to avoid more lockdowns.

Plan A includes expanding the vaccine rollout, such as to school-age children, plus more cash for the NHS COVID response, and a focus on antiviral drugs.

It also stresses that NHS Test and Trace and self-isolation will continue to be “critical” in keeping the disease under control.

Plan B would kick in should the NHS be threatened by “unsustainable pressure”. England’s chief medical officer, Professor Chris Whitty, has already warned the health service faces an “exceptionally difficult” winter.

Measures could include the possibility of vaccine passports in some settings in England – such as nightclubs and large sports events, while mask rules and working from home may also return.

Continue Reading

UK

Jaguar Land Rover to ‘pause’ US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Published

on

By

Jaguar Land Rover to 'pause' US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.

The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.

JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.

Follow live updates: Trump’s baseline 10% tariff kicks in

In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.

“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”

The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.

More on Donald Trump

JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.

“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.

Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.

All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.

Read more: A red wall on Wall Street – but Trump seems to believe it will work out

Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.

For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.

Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.

Continue Reading

UK

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Published

on

By

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.

In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.

Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.

They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.

The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.

Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.

“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.

Two fire crews remain at the scene.

Continue Reading

UK

Boy dies after ‘getting into difficulty’ in lake in southeast London

Published

on

By

Boy dies after 'getting into difficulty' in lake in southeast London

A 15-year-old boy has died after “getting into difficulty” in a lake in southeast London, police say.

Officers and paramedics were called shortly after 3pm on Friday to Beckenham Place Park in Lewisham.

The Metropolitan Police said a boy “was recovered from the lake” at around 10.42pm the same day.

“He was taken to hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead. His death is being treated as unexpected but not believed to be suspicious,” according to the force.

The boy’s family has been told and are being supported by specialist officers.

The force originally said the child was 16 years old, but has since confirmed his age as 15.

In the earlier statement, officers said emergency services carried out a search and the park was evacuated.

More from UK

google street view inside Beckenham Place park, Lewisham where a 16 y/o boy is missing after getting into difficulty in a lake
Image:
Emergency teams were called to Beckenham Place Park on Friday afternoon

Beckenham Place Park, which borders the London borough of Bromley, covers around 240 acres, according to the park’s website.

The lake is described as 285 metres long, reaching depths of up to 3.5 metres.

It is designed as a swimming lake for open-water swimming and paddle boarding.

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said on Friday: “We were called at 3.02pm this afternoon to reports of a person in the water.

“We sent resources to the scene, including an ambulance crew, an incident response officer and members of our hazardous area response team.”

Emergency teams have not explained how the boy entered the water, or whether he was accompanied by others.

Continue Reading

Trending