The pension schemes of Serco, the government contractor, have approached their sponsor to seek financial support amid a funding crunch triggered by this week’s wild gyrations in financial markets.
Sky News has learnt that the outsourcing giant’s pension trustees contacted the company in recent days about establishing a new credit facility in the event of a continued deluge of collateral calls.
The request is thought to be highly unusual and highlights the turmoil caused even in well-funded and well-run corporate pension schemes by the sudden surge in gilt yields that followed last Friday’s fiscal statement by the chancellor, Kwasi Kwarteng.
The Bank of England intervened in financial markets on Wednesday by promising to buy tens of billions of pounds in government bonds during the next fortnight in an attempt to stabilise the market.
That followed a slump in sterling’s value against the dollar to its lowest-ever level and deep anxiety about investors’ appetite to buy UK government bonds.
Ministers have sought to blame the turmoil on global market forces, but Mr Kwarteng’s £45bn of unfunded tax cuts, announced in last week’s ‘mini-Budget’, have been held responsible by many analysts for sparking the most dangerous financial markets rout since the 2008 banking crisis.
A person close to Serco pointed out that its retirement schemes boasted a surplus, before tax, of £105.3m at its latest half-year results.
The source added that the standby loan request from its pension trustees was simply to provide liquidity to help it meet demands for additional collateral.
Corporate pension fund trustees were faced with no choice but to sell billions of pounds of equities and bonds this week to meet margin calls – forcing them to put up extra collateral – as gilt yields surged and upset delicately balanced hedging strategies.
The turmoil has drawn closer attention to so-called Liability-Driven Investing, which many pension schemes use financial instruments such as derivatives to help them match their long-term assets and liabilities.
The precise number of Serco’s pension scheme members was unclear on Friday.
Members’ retirement funds are not at risk as a consequence of the move to seek financial support from the schemes’ sponsor.
According to its most recent results, Serco makes annual deficit recovery payments of £6.6m, a figure that is fixed until 2030.
Serco is one of Britain’s biggest outsourcing groups, handling contracts for a multitude of government departments.
Earlier this month, the company announced that Rupert Soames, its long-serving chief executive and grandson of Sir Winston Churchill, would retire.
He is regarded as one of Britain’s most capable chief executives, having transformed erco’s fortunes since taking over in 2014.
Serco and its pension trustees both declined to comment.
Sam Bankman-Fried: Founder of bankrupt crypto firm FTX breaks his silence, with thousands locked out of savings
A crypto entrepreneur says his net worth has fallen from $26.5bn to $100,000 after his company imploded.
Sam Bankman-Fried admitted it has been a “bad month” after FTX collapsed into bankruptcy, leaving thousands of people frozen out of their savings.
The 30-year-old – who once positioned himself as a saviour for stricken firms – has been accused of misusing customer funds and moving $10bn out of the company in secret.
To make matters worse, reports suggest that at least $1bn has vanished.
But speaking at the New York Times’ DealBook summit, he insisted that he has never tried to commit fraud, and said he was “shocked” at how things unfolded.
FTX now has fresh management as it navigates bankruptcy, with its new CEO declaring that he had never seen “such a complete failure of corporate controls” during his 40-year career.
It has been claimed that funds belonging to FTX users was mixed with funds at Alameda Research, a trading firm that Bankman-Fried also ran.
FTX, a cryptocurrency exchange that operated around the world, collapsed as panicked traders pulled $6bn out of the company in just three days after a series of bombshell allegations.
Speaking via video link from the Bahamas, Bankman-Fried said he now has “close to nothing” following his company’s failure – and is down to one working credit card.
He has admitted that his businesses “completely failed” when it came to risk management, and said this was “pretty embarrassing in retrospect”.
“Whatever happened, why it happened, I had a duty to our stakeholders, our customers, our investors, the regulators of the world, to do right by them,” Bankman Fried added.
While the embattled entrepreneur believes that American users should be able to get their money back in full, Bankman-Fried has warned in other interviews that international customers may only get 20% to 25% of the money they had locked into FTX.
A number of companies in the cryptocurrency sector have collapsed in recent months, coinciding with a sharp drop in the value of Bitcoin.
Some businesses have been accused of offering interest rates on savings that were simply too good to be true, while others have been likened to “Ponzi schemes”.
The Bahamas has now launched a criminal investigation into the circumstances surrounding FTX’s demise.
HSBC to close dozens more bank branches
HSBC has announced plans to shut a further 114 UK branches – over a quarter of its surviving sites.
The UK-based but mainly Asia-focused bank said those affected would be shut from April next year.
The decision, as the wider banking sector has consistently claimed over many years, is the result of the surge in online banking.
It has led to declining demand for over-the-counter transactions with HSBC saying that some of those to be shut were dealing with fewer than 250 people per week.
It was unclear, at this stage, what the closures would mean for jobs.
The bank said it was to invest tens of millions of pounds in updating and improving its remaining branch network, which will total 327 once the closures have been completed.
Jackie Uhi, HSBC UK’s managing director of UK distribution, said: “People are changing the way they bank and footfall in many branches is at an all-time low, with no signs of it returning. Banking remotely is becoming the norm for the vast majority of us.
“The decision to close a branch is never easy or taken lightly, especially if we are the last branch in an area, so we’ve invested heavily in our ‘post-closure’ strategy, including providing free tablet devices to selected branch customers who do not already have a device to bank digitally, alongside one-to-one coaching to help them migrate to digital banking.”
Joules administrator on brink of rescue deal with Phase Eight-owner Foschini
The administrator to Joules, the collapsed fashion retailer, is on the brink of a rescue deal with the South African owner of Phase Eight.
Sky News has learnt that The Foschini Group (TFG) is close to securing an agreement to buy the majority of Joules’ stores and assets.
One source said a deal could be struck as soon as Wednesday afternoon.
If completed, it is likely to see roughly a quarter of Joules’ 132 shops closed, with the loss of “several hundred” jobs.
A more precise figure for store closures and redundancies could not be identified, with Interpath Advisory, the administrator, refusing to comment.
It remains possible that an alternative buyer such as Next or Mike Ashley’s Frasers Group could yet trump TFG’s interest with a last-ditch offer.
TFG, which also owns the women’s fashion brands Hobbs and Whistles, had been in discussions with Joules for several weeks about investing in the business prior to it calling in administrators this month.
Based in Market Harborough, Leicestershire, Joules operates a total of 132 stores across the UK, employing over 1,600 people.
Its stores have remained open during the administration process.
Will Wright, head of restructuring at Interpath and joint administrator, said earlier this month that Joules was “one of the most recognisable names on the high street, with a unique brand identity and loyal customer base”.
“We have had an overwhelming amount of interest from interested parties.
“We will be working hard over the days ahead to assess this interest, but at this stage we are optimistic that we will be able to secure a future for this great British brand.”
Joules had been in talks with Next about a strategic investment earlier in the autumn but the two sides were unable to agree the terms of a deal as the smaller company’s share price continued to sink.
It then hired Interpath to consider an insolvency procedure – known as a company voluntary arrangement – that would have allowed it to slash its overheads through store closures, rent reductions and job cuts.
Joules said in August that it was aiming to secure an equity investment of about £15m, after warning that it would deliver a loss bigger than previous market expectations.
It also appointed Jonathon Brown, a former John Lewis and Kingfisher executive, as its new CEO.
Joules has been listed on the London stock market since 2016, having been founded in 1989 when Tom Joule began selling clothes from a country show stall in Leicestershire.
TFG could not be reached for comment.
Sports1 year ago
Team Europe easily wins 4th straight Laver Cup
Politics1 year ago
Yvette Cooper promoted and Lisa Nandy to shadow Gove on levelling up brief in Labour reshuffle
Politics1 year ago
Have the last few wobbly weeks seen a turning point for Johnson as PM?
Environment1 year ago
Sprinting Into An Integrated Cleantech Future
Business2 months ago
Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng insists government ‘protecting people across UK’ with mini-budget announcement
Politics1 year ago
Govt minister says she ‘doesn’t believe’ Stanley Johnson inappropriately touched MP
Politics1 year ago
‘It’s going to be a great Christmas’: Defiant Javid defends not imposing stricter restrictions to combat new variant
Business2 months ago
Liz Truss’s ‘favourite’ economist says chancellor ‘took his eye off ball’ and ‘overstepped the mark’ with mini-budget