Connect with us

Published

on

The Dartford Crossing bridge has been closed and there are long tailbacks after two oil protesters climbed the structure.

There are two-hour delays in both directions and five to six miles of congestion, said National Highways.

Climate change activist group Just Stop Oil said two of its supporters had scaled the 84m-high masts on the north side of the QE2 bridge “to demand that the government halts all new oil and gas licences and consents”.

It’s the latest protest by the group’s activists, who on Sunday sprayed an Aston Martin showroom with orange paint and a few days earlier threw tomato soup over Van Gogh’s Sunflowers.

“The bridge has been closed while we resolve the incident which we will do as quickly and as safely for all involved,” Essex Police said.

“It does mean that we have had to close the bridge to traffic, but a diversion is going to be put in place through the tunnel.

“This is likely to cause delays throughout this morning and this incident may take some time to resolve due to the complexities of safely getting people down from height.”

The bridge, which links Essex and Kent, was shut after the report of climbers was received just before 3.50am. As daylight broke, they were pictured dangling from its steel cables.

The Dartford Crossing also includes two tunnels and is notoriously busy, being the only way to cross the Thames east of London by road.

 Handout photo issued by Just Stop Oil of traffic stopped after two of their activists scaled the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge at the Dartford Crossing on Monday. Police have closed the major road bridge linking Essex and Kent after a report that two people have "climbed onto the bridge and are currently at height". Issue date: Monday October 17, 2022.
Handout photo issued by Just Stop Oil of traffic stopped after two of their activists scaled the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge at the Dartford Crossing on Monday. Police have closed the major road bridge linking Essex and Kent after a report that two people have "climbed onto the bridge and are currently at height"
Credit:Just Stop Oil
Image:
The protesters climbed the bridge’s masts. Pics: Just Stop Oil

Engineer and protester Morgan Trowland, 39, released a statement through Just Stop Oil.

“I can’t challenge this madness in my desk job, designing bridges, so I’m taking direct action, occupying the QE2 bridge until the government stops all new oil,” he said.

Another protester, identified only as Marcus, 33, a teacher, said: “Only direct action will now help to reach the social tipping point we so urgently need.”

There was anger from drivers who faced long delays trying to get to work.

“I’m currently sitting in traffic burning loads of fuel waiting to get on the Woolwich ferry to cross the Thames to get to work…. No thanks to the two d******** who have climbed the #darfordcrossing,” tweeted Nick Reave.

“My husband works for electricity board for London and can’t even get out our road,” posted Sioxsie Wild.

“He had VITAL engineering job to do. Ambulances are stuck and emergency services are stuck. This is causing more damage and literally harm to life.”

Southbound/clockwise traffic is being diverted via the East Bore Tunnel, said National Highways. Traffic northbound/anti-clockwise is being confined to the West Bore Tunnel only.

Continue Reading

UK

Labour MP Dan Norris arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences

Published

on

By

Labour MP Dan Norris arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences

Labour MP Dan Norris has been arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences.

A Labour Party spokesperson said: “Dan Norris MP was immediately suspended by the Labour Party upon being informed of his arrest.

“We cannot comment further while the police investigation is ongoing.”

Police said a man in his 60s had been arrested on Friday on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl, rape, child abduction and misconduct in a public office.

Sky News has contacted Mr Norris for comment.

Mr Norris, 65, defeated Jacob Rees-Mogg to win the new seat of North East Somerset and Hanham in last year’s general election.

He has also lost the party whip in the House of Commons and has stepped down from his role as chair of the League Against Cruel Sports.

Avon and Somerset Police said in a statement: “In December 2024, we received a referral from another police force relating to alleged non-recent child sex offences having been committed against a girl.

“Most of the offences are alleged to have occurred in the 2000s, but we’re also investigating an alleged offence of rape from the 2020s.

“An investigation, led by officers within Operation Bluestone, our dedicated rape and serious sexual assault investigation team, remains ongoing and at an early stage.

“The victim is being supported and given access to any specialist help or support she needs.

“A man, aged in his 60s, was arrested on Friday (April 4) on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl (under the Sexual Offences Act 1956), rape (under the Sexual Offences Act 2003), child abduction and misconduct in a public office. He’s been released on conditional bail for enquiries to continue.

“This is an active and sensitive investigation, so we’d respectfully ask people not to speculate on the circumstances so our enquiries can continue unhindered.”

Mr Norris first entered Parliament when Tony Blair came to power in 1997 and served as the Wansdyke MP until 2010.

He was an assistant whip under Mr Blair and served as a junior minister under Gordon Brown.

Mr Norris has also been West of England mayor since 2021 but is due to step down ahead of May’s local elections.

A spokesman for the League Against Cruel Sports, a UK-based animal welfare charity which campaigns to end sports such as fox hunting and game bird shooting, confirmed he had stepped down from his role.

“The charity cannot comment further while an investigation is ongoing,” a statement said.

Continue Reading

UK

Jaguar Land Rover to ‘pause’ US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Published

on

By

Jaguar Land Rover to 'pause' US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.

The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.

JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.

Follow live updates: Trump’s baseline 10% tariff kicks in

In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.

“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”

The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.

More on Donald Trump

JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.

“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.

Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.

All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.

Read more: A red wall on Wall Street – but Trump seems to believe it will work out

Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.

For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.

Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.

Continue Reading

UK

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Published

on

By

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.

In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.

Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.

They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.

The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.

Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.

“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.

Two fire crews remain at the scene.

Continue Reading

Trending