Connect with us

Published

on

Liz Truss’s premiership is hanging by a thread after an extraordinary day in Westminster that saw a cabinet minister resign and a Commons motion descend into chaos with allegations of “manhandling and bullying”.

The unprecedented events have led to some Tory MPs declaring the Conservative party is “finished”, with one hitting out at the “talentless people” who backed Ms Truss “for a seat around the cabinet table”.

Politics hub – live updates

The prime minister is staring down the barrel after the now former home secretary Suella Braverman resigned over sending an official document from her personal email – and took aim at the PM on the way out.

“I have made a mistake; I accept responsibility; I resign,” she wrote in an barely-coded dig at Ms Truss, whose disastrous mini-budget sparked financial turmoil.

Ms Braverman, a popular figure on the Tory right, voiced “concerns about the direction of this government” , accusing it of breaking manifesto pledges and adding: “It is obvious to everyone that we are going through a tumultuous time.”

The departure has further imperilled the embattled PM’s grip on power following the sacking of chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng last Friday and the axing of the majority of the government’s economic policies on Monday by new chancellor Jeremy Hunt.

More on Liz Truss

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

A night of turmoil in Westminster

‘Something has to give’

Lord Frost, former Brexit minister, joined calls for Ms Truss to resign, saying “there is no shred of a mandate” for what she is doing.

“As Suella Braverman made so clear this afternoon, the government is implementing neither the programme Liz Truss originally advocated nor the 2019 manifesto,” he wrote in the Telegraph.

“There is no shred of a mandate for this. It’s only happening because the Truss Government messed things up more badly than anyone could have imagined, and enabled a hostile takeover by its opponents. Something has to give.”

Analysis: Liz Truss is clearly no longer in charge, what isn’t clear is who is – if anybody!

Ms Truss’s authority took a further knock on Wednesday amid claims Conservative MPs were being “bullied and manhandled” into voting with the government to oppose a ban on fracking, counter to what their party manifesto said in 2019.

Several MPs described scenes of chaos in the voting lobby, with Labour’s Jess Philips describing a “massive row” and others saying they witnessed Tory whips “screaming” and MPs “crying”.

The drama was sparked after climate minister Graham Stuart told the Commons minutes before the Labour motion that “quite clearly this is not a confidence vote” – despite Conservative deputy chief whip Craig Whittaker earlier issuing a “100% hard” three-line whip, meaning any Tory MP that rebelled could be thrown out of the parliamentary party.

Widespread reporting followed that Chief Whip Wendy Morton, having been undermined, quit her government post as MPs were filing through the voting lobbies, with Mr Whittaker following her out the door.

After hours of confusion over whether they had gone Downing Street said both “remain in post”.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Labour MP Chris Bryant claims Tory MP Alexander Stafford was ‘physically manhandled’

Cabinet ministers Therese Coffey and Jacob Rees-Mogg were among a group of senior Tories accused of pressuring colleagues to go into the “no” lobby, with Labour former minister Chris Bryant telling Sky News some MPs had been “physically manhandled into another lobby and being bullied”.

Mr Rees-Mogg, the business secretary, insisted he had seen no evidence of anyone being manhandled while a source close to Ms Coffey, the health secretary and deputy PM, said she has “not manhandled anybody”.

But senior Tory MP Sir Charles Walker said what took place was “inexcusable” and “a pitiful reflection on the Conservative Parliamentary Party”.

‘No way back for Conservative party’

Asked if there was any way back for the Tories he said: “I don’t think so…but I’ve been of that view since two weeks ago.”

Appearing visibly shaken and emotional, he hit out at those in his party who voted for the new prime minister:

“All those people who put Liz Truss in No 10, I hope it was worth it.

“I hope it was worth it for the ministerial red box, I hope it was worth it to sit around the cabinet table.

“Because the damage they have done to our party was extraordinary.”

Speaking to the BBC he added: “I have had enough of talentless people putting their tick in the right box, not because it’s in the national interest but because it’s in their own personal interest to achieve ministerial position.

“I know I speak for hundreds of backbenchers who are worrying for their constituents all the time but are now worrying for their own personal circumstances because there is nothing as ex as an ex-MP.”

‘We are all Charles Walker’

In response, Conservative MP Maria Caulfield said: “Tonight we are all Charles Walker.”

And former minister Johnny Mercer said, alongside an expletive, that Mr Walker had “nailed it”.

The prime minister is likely to face another bruising day on Thursday, when Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer will accuse her of “insulting” British workers while pledging his government will repeal any new Conservative legislation restricting the right to strike.

Emboldened by a huge surge in the polls, he will tell the TUC conference: “We will meet their attacks with hope, provide the leadership this country so desperately needs and build a Britain where working people can succeed again, where working people are backed as the people who really create economic growth.

“That’s the Labour choice.”

Continue Reading

UK

Jaguar Land Rover to ‘pause’ US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Published

on

By

Jaguar Land Rover to 'pause' US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.

The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.

JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.

Follow live updates: Trump’s baseline 10% tariff kicks in

In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.

“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”

The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.

More on Donald Trump

JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.

“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.

Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.

All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.

Read more: A red wall on Wall Street – but Trump seems to believe it will work out

Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.

For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.

Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.

Continue Reading

UK

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Published

on

By

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.

In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.

Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.

They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.

The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.

Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.

“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.

Two fire crews remain at the scene.

Continue Reading

UK

Boy dies after ‘getting into difficulty’ in lake in southeast London

Published

on

By

Boy dies after 'getting into difficulty' in lake in southeast London

A 15-year-old boy has died after “getting into difficulty” in a lake in southeast London, police say.

Officers and paramedics were called shortly after 3pm on Friday to Beckenham Place Park in Lewisham.

The Metropolitan Police said a boy “was recovered from the lake” at around 10.42pm the same day.

“He was taken to hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead. His death is being treated as unexpected but not believed to be suspicious,” according to the force.

The boy’s family has been told and are being supported by specialist officers.

The force originally said the child was 16 years old, but has since confirmed his age as 15.

In the earlier statement, officers said emergency services carried out a search and the park was evacuated.

More from UK

google street view inside Beckenham Place park, Lewisham where a 16 y/o boy is missing after getting into difficulty in a lake
Image:
Emergency teams were called to Beckenham Place Park on Friday afternoon

Beckenham Place Park, which borders the London borough of Bromley, covers around 240 acres, according to the park’s website.

The lake is described as 285 metres long, reaching depths of up to 3.5 metres.

It is designed as a swimming lake for open-water swimming and paddle boarding.

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said on Friday: “We were called at 3.02pm this afternoon to reports of a person in the water.

“We sent resources to the scene, including an ambulance crew, an incident response officer and members of our hazardous area response team.”

Emergency teams have not explained how the boy entered the water, or whether he was accompanied by others.

Continue Reading

Trending