Connect with us

Published

on

Jeremy Hunt will promise to weather an economic “storm” by raising taxes, cutting public spending and scaling back energy support to fill a £54bn black hole in the nation’s finances.

The chancellor will insist to MPs on Thursday that his autumn statement puts the UK on a “balanced path to stability” as he tackles the “enemy” of inflation, which has soared to a 41-year high.

But the measures could put him on a collision course with Tory MPs on the right of his party who are already voicing anger about the prospect of some of the plans.

Dominic Raab says tomato throwing incident ‘never happened’ – politics latest

An 11th hour petition from two dozen Tory MPs, led by Jonathan Gullis, has been sent to the chancellor asking him not to hike fuel duty in the statement.

The package will be in the form of £30bn of spending cuts and £24bn in tax rises over the next five years – a stark contrast to Kwasi Kwarteng’s unfunded tax-slashing spending splurge two months ago.

Among the measures, annual energy bills for a typical household will stay capped at £2,500, but this will rise to £3,000 in April 2023, when support will become more targeted with additional payments for low-income households and pensioners, Sky’s political editor Beth Rigby understands.

More on Jeremy Hunt

On tax rises, those with the broadest shoulders will bear most of the burden, but there will be pain all around.

The chancellor is expected to lower the threshold for paying the highest rate of tax to £125,000 – down from the existing £150,000.

This is a marked difference to Liz Truss’s plans to scrap the 45p rate altogether, giving the highest earners an average tax cut of £10,000.

Analysis says lowering the threshold will bring an extra 246,000 people into the highest bracket at a cost to them of around £580 each a year, which in turn would raise the Treasury £1.3bn a year.

Mr Hunt is also expected to announce a freeze on personal income tax and national insurance tax thresholds lasting until 2028.

Sometimes referred to as a “stealth tax”, freezing tax thresholds drags more earners into paying higher rates of tax.

Mr Hunt has already hinted he will make it easier for local authorities to increase council tax, with reports suggesting the threshold for raising bills without a referendum could increase from 2.99% to 5%.

There is also expected to be a big increase in the windfall tax on energy companies, and a new tax on electricity generators.

Labour has previously said a windfall tax extension could raise an additional £50bn, and criticised what it calls the “loophole” that allows gas and oil firms to offset their tax liability if they invest back into the UK.

On spending cuts, departments are expected to be told to live within an envelope of the March Spending Review, when inflation at was 3%.

With inflation now at 11.1%, that amounts to a real-terms cut across the board, meaning tough choices will be necessary.

However, there will be some exceptions, with the NHS expected to get more money.

There is also likely to be some protection for the schools budget, Sky’s deputy political editor Sam Coates understands.

“There will inevitably be some good news after the weeks of doom-laden warnings,” he said.

Mr Sunak and Mr Hunt have spent weeks warning that tough choices lay ahead.

However, the prime minister told Sky News on Tuesday that “fairness and compassion” will be at the heart of his decisions.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Rishi Sunak refuses to apologise for the economic turmoil Liz Truss’s short-lived government caused for the UK

It is understood the chancellor will keep the triple lock for pensioners in his autumn statement – honouring a manifesto commitment.

He is also expected to uprate benefits in line with inflation, rather than earnings (a controversial move that would have saved £5bn).

The government has not confirmed what measures will be in the statement, but there has been a constant stream of measures reportedly being considered.

This “pitch rolling” helps markets get an idea of what is coming down the road and avoids spooking traders.

When Ms Truss and Mr Kwarteng made several surprise announcements in their mini-budget in September, it contributed to the financial chaos which saw the pound crash and the Bank of England forced to intervene to prevent pension funds from collapsing.

Read More:
How could PM Rishi Sunak and Chancellor Jeremy Hunt reduce ‘financial black hole’?

Analysis released on Monday by the independent Resolution Foundation think tank found the mistakes they made cost the UK £30bn, doubling the sum the Treasury says will have to be raised.

Mr Hunt will say that his “difficult decisions” are necessary to keep mortgage rates low and tackle the rocketing energy and food prices intensifying the cost of living crisis.

“Families across Britain make sacrifices every day to live within their means, and so too must governments because the United Kingdom will always pay its way,” he is expected to say.

But Tories on the right of the Conservative Party are already voicing anger about the prospect of raising taxes.

Among the Tory critics, former cabinet minister Esther McVey has warned she will not support tax rises without the scrapping of the “unnecessary vanity project” of HS2.

Former business secretary Jacob Rees-Mogg told ITV’s Peston he would vote for the budget so as to not bring the government down, but warned he opposes tax increases, which he believes “risks making a recession worse”.

Labour has also warned that Britain is “falling behind on the global stage”.

Shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves said: “The country is being held back by 12 years of Tory economic failure and wasted opportunities and working people are paying the price.

“What Britain needs in the autumn statement are fairer choices for working people, and a proper plan for growth.”

And Sharon Graham, the general secretary of the Unite union, warned Mr Hunt “workers are ready to take a stand”.

“He can choose to inject investment into the NHS and deliver a fair pay deal – or he can leave it as it is today, in danger of fatal collapse,” she said.

Continue Reading

UK

‘Major incident’ declared in Northern Ireland as wildfire breaks out amid higher-than-normal temperatures

Published

on

By

'Major incident' declared in Northern Ireland as wildfire breaks out amid higher-than-normal temperatures

A major incident has been declared in Northern Ireland after a wildfire broke out, the latest in a series of blazes seen across the UK over the past week amid soaring temperatures.

More than 100 firefighters and 14 fire appliances were at the scene of the “significant” wildfire on Sandbank Road, Hilltown, Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service said.

The fire had a front of approximately two miles “including a large area of forestry close to property”, the service said.

A wildfire broke out in Northern Ireland. Pic: Sky Watch NI
Image:
The wildfire on Sandbank Road, Hilltown. Pic: Sky Watch NI

“Local residents are requested to avoid the area, a number of roads have been closed, to help support firefighting operations,” the fire service added.

“We ask that all members of the public remain particularly vigilant to the risk of fire at this time. We can reassure members of the public that normal service delivery is being maintained.”

A wildfire broke out in Northern Ireland. Pic: Sky Watch NI
Image:
More than 100 firefighters were at the scene of the fire. Pic: Sky Watch NI

Various fires erupted across England this week amid uncharacteristically warm and dry conditions for the time of year.

On Saturday, helicopters were deployed to tackle Scotland’s fourth wildfire this week, with police saying a blaze “which started in the Newton Stewart area has spread northwards and is expected to reach the Loch Doon area of East Ayrshire around 12am on Sunday”.

More on Northern Ireland

Police Scotland added: “As a precautionary measure members of the public are asked to avoid the Loch Doon area and anyone who may be camping in the area is advised to leave.”

Dorset wildfires
Image:
Moors Valley Country Park blackened by fires this week

Elsewhere in England, Devon and Cornwall Police said they were assisting the fire service with temporary road closures on the A30 in the Bolventor area as they tackle “a number of fires” on moorland.

In Dorset, Moors Valley Country Park was forced to close after multiple wildfires broke out there on Wednesday.

Read more from Sky News:
Zelenskyy makes dig at US over its response to Russian attack
What hopes are there for the future of Prince Harry’s charity?

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Wildfires spread across nature reserve

Separate incidents were then reported at Upton Heath in Poole on Wednesday, and nearby Canford Heath in the early hours of Thursday.

Friday was officially the warmest day of the year so far – with temperatures in the south of England reaching 23C (73.4F) – the highest since 21 September last year, according to the Met Office.

The weather conditions triggered a “severe” wildfire rating for parts of the UK on Tuesday.

Continue Reading

UK

Labour MP Dan Norris arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences

Published

on

By

Labour MP Dan Norris arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences

Labour MP Dan Norris has been arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences.

A Labour Party spokesperson said: “Dan Norris MP was immediately suspended by the Labour Party upon being informed of his arrest.

“We cannot comment further while the police investigation is ongoing.”

Police said a man in his 60s had been arrested on Friday on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl, rape, child abduction and misconduct in a public office.

Sky News has contacted Mr Norris for comment.

Mr Norris, 65, defeated Jacob Rees-Mogg to win the new seat of North East Somerset and Hanham in last year’s general election.

He has also lost the party whip in the House of Commons and has stepped down from his role as chair of the League Against Cruel Sports.

Avon and Somerset Police said in a statement: “In December 2024, we received a referral from another police force relating to alleged non-recent child sex offences having been committed against a girl.

“Most of the offences are alleged to have occurred in the 2000s, but we’re also investigating an alleged offence of rape from the 2020s.

“An investigation, led by officers within Operation Bluestone, our dedicated rape and serious sexual assault investigation team, remains ongoing and at an early stage.

“The victim is being supported and given access to any specialist help or support she needs.

“A man, aged in his 60s, was arrested on Friday (April 4) on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl (under the Sexual Offences Act 1956), rape (under the Sexual Offences Act 2003), child abduction and misconduct in a public office. He’s been released on conditional bail for enquiries to continue.

“This is an active and sensitive investigation, so we’d respectfully ask people not to speculate on the circumstances so our enquiries can continue unhindered.”

Mr Norris first entered Parliament when Tony Blair came to power in 1997 and served as the Wansdyke MP until 2010.

He was an assistant whip under Mr Blair and served as a junior minister under Gordon Brown.

Mr Norris has also been West of England mayor since 2021 but is due to step down ahead of May’s local elections.

A spokesman for the League Against Cruel Sports, a UK-based animal welfare charity which campaigns to end sports such as fox hunting and game bird shooting, confirmed he had stepped down from his role.

“The charity cannot comment further while an investigation is ongoing,” a statement said.

Continue Reading

UK

Jaguar Land Rover to ‘pause’ US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Published

on

By

Jaguar Land Rover to 'pause' US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.

The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.

JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.

Follow live updates: Trump’s baseline 10% tariff kicks in

In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.

“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”

The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.

More on Donald Trump

JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.

“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.

Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.

All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.

Read more: A red wall on Wall Street – but Trump seems to believe it will work out

Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.

For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.

Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.

Continue Reading

Trending