Freezing fog, sleet and snow are set to cause travel disruption for at least a week, with snow stopping planes in the UK and the Republic of Ireland, and more bitter weather to come.
Dozens of flights have been cancelled out of Dublin airport with at least 23 outbound flights and 27 inbound flights cancelled so far on Saturday.
There were 69 departing flights and 74 inbound flights cancelled on Friday evening. The Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) said the de-icing of planes had caused the delays.
On Saturday morning, Manchester airport temporarily closed both runways due to heavy snowfall, with dozens of flights affected.
Image: The EasyJet flight to Reykjavik is just one affected. Pic: Simon Stephenson/Twitter
One passenger, Simon Stephenson, told Sky News he had been due to fly to Reykjavik at 7.45am, but had been left sat on the plane which he had been told would be delayed until at least midday.
Sky News weather presenter Kirsty McCabe says we can expect the disruption caused by the wintry weather to last for at least another week, adding: “The artic blast of cold weather will bring a mix of wintry hazards, including frost, ice, sleet, snow and freezing fog”.
With “stubborn fog patches” forecast on Saturday, parts of the UK “will feel very cold with temperatures staying close to freezing in places”.
More on Dublin
Related Topics:
Wintry showers will bring “a risk of ice with snowfall mainly over higher ground” across parts of Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and western England. As the evening moves on “snowfall will reach lower levels as the temperature drops”.
Image: Saturday weather warning from the Met Office
Image: Sunday weather warning from the Met Office
It comes as the Met Office warned freezing fog, sleet and snow could bring travel disruption to parts of the UK during the coming days.
Advertisement
As the bitterly-cold weather continues, temperatures are set to stay low, hitting minus 10C (14F) in isolated areas on Saturday and Sunday.
Southeast England has been covered by a yellow weather warning for snow and ice, kicking in at 9am for most of London from 9am on Sunday and staying in place until 9am on Monday. There is a 30% chance of up to 5cm of snow.
Image: Both runways have been closed at Manchester airport, leaving passengers waiting on planes in the snow
The western coast of England, Wales and the north of Northern Ireland have warnings for ice on Saturday and Sunday.
Scotland, apart from the southwest, has a yellow warning for snow and ice covering Saturday and Sunday.
Temperatures in Co Donegal are around 0 to 4C and are due to drop to as low as minus 5C on Saturday night.
Concerns have been raised in particular for the welfare of older people who live alone, for those sleeping rough, and asylum seekers housed in tented accommodation.
The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) is advising people to look out for friends and family who are vulnerable in the cold and to ensure they have access to warm food and drinks, adding that people should maintain indoor temperatures of at least 18C (64.4F).
Image: Frosty donkeys in Barnham, West Sussex
Dr Agostinho Sousa, consultant in public health medicine at the agency, advised people to “keep your bedroom windows closed at night,” adding that “wearing several layers of clothing will keep you warmer than one thicker layer.”
Travel disruption is expected to reach into the working week, especially on Monday morning, and could include power cuts, problems with mobile phone coverage, and some rural communities being cut off.
Gritters have been out across the UK in a bid to keep motorways and major A-roads open. The RAC said the number of breakdown callouts has been 25% higher than usual.
Local councils and charities have opened more than 3,200 “warm banks” are open across the UK, to help people keep warm if they cannot afford to heat their homes.
The Warm Welcome Campaign said many of these are a third or half full and offer services including hot tea and a place to work.
Save the Children said 194 of 355 councils in England and Wales are involved in or supporting local groups to open warm spaces this winter.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
1:57
Millions of people cannot afford to keep warm at home, just as the winter’s first major cold snap arrives, say campaigners.
Becca Lyon, head of child poverty at Save the Children UK, said: “Families should not be in a position where they are agonising over whether to put the heating on in sub-zero temperatures. Parents have told us they will risk going into debt to keep their children warm.”
Councillor Richard Wenham, vice-chairman of the Local Government Association’s resources board, said the emergency schemes “should not become the norm” and are “not a sustainable solution to bridge the gap between income and the current cost of living”.
It comes as people on the lowest incomes in hundreds of affected postcode districts in England and Wales are set to receive a £25 cold weather payment as a result of the conditions.
Payments of £25 are issued automatically to certain regions when the average temperature is recorded or is forecast to be 0C or below for seven days in a row.
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.
The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.
JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.
In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.
“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”
The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.
More on Donald Trump
Related Topics:
JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.
“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.
Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.
All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.
Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.
For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.
Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.
Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.
In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.
Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.
They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.
The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.
Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.
“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.
A 15-year-old boy has died after “getting into difficulty” in a lake in southeast London, police say.
Officers and paramedics were called shortly after 3pm on Friday to Beckenham Place Park in Lewisham.
The Metropolitan Police said a boy “was recovered from the lake” at around 10.42pm the same day.
“He was taken to hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead. His death is being treated as unexpected but not believed to be suspicious,” according to the force.
The boy’s family has been told and are being supported by specialist officers.
The force originally said the child was 16 years old, but has since confirmed his age as 15.
In the earlier statement, officers said emergency services carried out a search and the park was evacuated.
More from UK
Image: Emergency teams were called to Beckenham Place Park on Friday afternoon
Beckenham Place Park, which borders the London borough of Bromley, covers around 240 acres, according to the park’s website.
The lake is described as 285 metres long, reaching depths of up to 3.5 metres.
It is designed as a swimming lake for open-water swimming and paddle boarding.
A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said on Friday: “We were called at 3.02pm this afternoon to reports of a person in the water.
“We sent resources to the scene, including an ambulance crew, an incident response officer and members of our hazardous area response team.”
Emergency teams have not explained how the boy entered the water, or whether he was accompanied by others.