Connect with us

Published

on

The government’s top responsibility is to tackle inflation, Chancellor Jeremy Hunt has told Sky News as thousands of public sector workers go on strike.

Mr Hunt said the strikes, which are taking place every day until the end of the year, are a “symptom of the fact that people are very worried that their pay packets are not going as far as they would have” last year, due to inflation.

He insisted the reason the government is not agreeing to above-inflation pay rises is because it is committed to getting inflation under control.

Military to help NHS with ambulance strikes as COBRA strikes meeting held – live politics updates

Inflation reached 11% in October and the government has previously argued big pay rises could push inflation even higher as companies might increase prices to cover higher wages.

Mr Hunt told Sky News: “My number one responsibility as chancellor, the number one job of the government, is to make sure that we tackle inflation, and that will deal – I think – with the underlying anger that many people feel.”

He added that it is a “very challenging international picture” and about a third of the world’s economies are predicted to be in recession this year or next.

More on Jeremy Hunt

“Truthfully, it is likely to get worse before it gets better, which makes it even more difficult when we have big public sector strikes going on at the moment,” he said.

“But we have a plan in place and the Independent Office for Budget Responsibility says that plan will more than halve inflation over the next year.”

Read more: Which industries are striking and when?

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘Will health secretary talk to nurses to avert strikes?’

Nurses are going on strike for the first time ever on Thursday and are among 10 industries taking action this week.

Unions representing nurses have said the government is refusing to even get around the table to talk about a pay rise.

Ministers over the weekend said it was the responsibility of the independent pay review bodies to determine what public sector pay is, not the government.

Asked why the government is not negotiating with nurses, Mr Hunt said: “We have to be very careful, we recognise the position that unions hold is completely sincere, because of the challenge of 11% inflation.

“On the other hand, we also have a sincerely held position, which is that we don’t want to do anything that would lock in that high inflation rate for a long time to come.”

He said the independent pay review body processes should be supported because of this.

Each public sector has its own pay review body made up of experts in that field who consult with unions and staff while taking into account parameters set by the government to come up with a final pay recommendation.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Offer ‘too good to refuse’

Mr Hunt added: “For this year, with the independent pay review body, we agreed with a pay rise for nurses which is comparable to the private sector.”

Health Secretary Steve Barclay on Monday wrote to the Royal College of Nurses asking them to provide times for a meeting, but a government source told Sky News it will not be about pay and instead will look at other ways to support nurses.

“The Secretary of State remains happy to discuss all other ways to improve working conditions across the NHS as he has been stressing in the recent meetings with the unions,” the source said.

Labour has questioned why the government will not negotiate directly with the unions on pay.

Shadow health secretary Wes Streeting told Sky News on Sunday: “It’s completely unreasonable for the government not to want to negotiate.

“I think they are spoiling for a fight.

“The government’s line is a complete joke on that, there hasn’t been a single minute of negotiation.”

Treasury minister Andrew Griffith told Sky News on Monday if the government starts overruling independent pay bodies then that “makes a mockery of the process”.

Continue Reading

UK

It’s become almost impossible to book a driving test, instructors say

Published

on

By

It's become almost impossible to book a driving test, instructors say

It has become almost impossible to book a driving test on the government website due to bots on the booking system, driving instructors have told Sky News.

The only official way to book a practical car driving test is through the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) website.

New test slots are released by the DVSA at 6am every Monday, but “no matter how fast I am, there’s nothing available”, said Aman Sanghera, a driving instructor based in west London.

Driving instructor Aman Sanghera wants 'stronger oversight and regulation' from the DVSA
Image:
Driving instructor Aman Sanghera wants ‘stronger oversight and regulation’ from the DVSA

When asked about the cause, she said: “All of the tests are taken by bots, they are definitely taking over the booking system.”

In this context, bots are automated software designed to mimic human behaviour and programmed to carry out actions like searching for and reserving driving test appointments on the official government website much faster than humans can.

Individuals and companies use bots to block-book driving test slots and then resell them at a profit, which is not illegal, although it is a violation of the DVSA’s terms of use.

Recent data shows the DVSA has closed over 800 business accounts for misuse of its booking service in the past two years.

On average, it takes five months to get a driving test in England – unless you’re willing to pay a middleman hundreds on top of the £62 standard fee.
Image:
It takes five months on average for a test in England – unless you pay a middleman

Ms Sanghera, who has been in the trade for over a decade, said the usage of bots started a few months ago “but is now getting out of hand”.

She said: “I’ve actually heard about driving instructors being approached by certain individuals to then take on their IDs to log in and to run this scam.

“I struggle to actually book a test for my students, which means that by the time my students are logging in, they’ve got no chance.”

Driving instructors can book driving tests on behalf of their pupils using a dedicated service, allowing them to bypass the general queue and potentially secure test slots more efficiently.

As a result, Ms Sanghera said students are “forced to go to third-party sites” to secure “the same test dates which are then available later on during the day at a premium rate of like £200-£300”.

She added: “Given that the DVSA is a government-regulated body, one would expect a more robust and fair system to ensure affordability and accessibility for all candidates.”

The long waiting lists and high demand for tests has led some to take advantage.
Image:
The long waiting lists and high demand for tests has led some to take advantage

The standard test fee is £62, offered by the DVSA, which is responsible for carrying out driving tests in Great Britain.

The biggest concern for the driving instructors Sky News has spoken to, including Ms Sanghera, is “the fact that students are being exploited”.

When Ahmed Ali struggled to find a practical test on the DVSA website, he turned to third-party sites – a decision he now regrets.

Ahmed Ali started looking for a test 2 years ago.
Image:
Ahmed Ali started looking for a test two years ago

He said: “I’ve spent about £650 on driving tests, and I’ve sat zero tests. I’ve given all this money to third-parties that look for cancellations so they could try to get you a faster test.”

But the 20-year-old said that despite making the payments, he “didn’t hear back from them again”, which is illegal.

“When you lose all that money, you get to a point where you can’t really afford to find another driving test,” he said.

“I just feel very frustrated because I’ve spent all this money, all this time into driving, and I haven’t sat a single driving test.”

Read more from Sky News:
Russell Brand charged with rape and sexual assault

Last UK blast furnaces days from closure
Ship owner files legal claim after North Sea crash

The DVSA urged applicants to only book tests via the official Gov.uk website and told Sky News it “deploys enhanced bot protection to help stop automated systems from buying up tests unfairly”.

“These applications, however, are constantly evolving and changing, and DVSA’s work on this is ongoing,” it said.

From Tuesday, the DVSA will require learner drivers to provide 10 full working days’ notice to change or cancel their car driving test without losing the test fee, up from the current three days.

Also part of the DVSA’s crackdown to reduce waiting times is a consultation expected to launch in spring 2025 “to streamline the driving test booking process” and “tighten terms and conditions”.

Continue Reading

UK

Russell Brand charged with rape and sexual assault

Published

on

By

Russell Brand charged with rape and sexual assault

Russell Brand has been charged with rape and two counts of sexual assault between 1999 and 2005.

The Metropolitan Police say the 50-year-old comedian, actor and author has also been charged with one count of oral rape and one count of indecent assault.

The charges relate to four women.

He is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Friday 2 May.

Police have said Brand is accused of raping a woman in the Bournemouth area in 1999 and indecently assaulting a woman in the Westminster area of London in 2001.

He is also accused of orally raping and sexually assaulting a woman in Westminster in 2004.

The fourth charge alleges that a woman was sexually assaulted in Westminster between 2004 and 2005.

Police began investigating Brand, from Oxfordshire, in September 2023 after receiving a number of allegations.

Read more from Sky News:
Mum spared prison after son’s death
Last UK blast furnaces days from closure
Ship owner files legal claim after North Sea crash

The comedian has previously denied the accusations, and said all his sexual relationships were “absolutely always consensual”.

Met Police Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy, who is leading the investigation, said: “The women who have made reports continue to receive support from specially trained officers.

“The Met’s investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police.”

Continue Reading

UK

Last UK blast furnaces days from closure as Chinese owners cut off crucial supplies

Published

on

By

Last UK blast furnaces days from closure as Chinese owners cut off crucial supplies

​​​​​​​The last blast furnaces left operating in Britain could see their fate sealed within days, after their Chinese owners took the decision to cut off the crucial supply of ingredients keeping them running. 

Jingye, the owner of British Steel in Scunthorpe, has, according to union representatives, cancelled future orders for the iron ore, coal and other raw materials needed to keep the furnaces running.

The upshot is that they may have to close next month – even sooner than the earliest date suggested for its closure.

Read more: Thousands of jobs at risk as British Steel consults unions over closure

The fate of the blast furnaces – the last two domestic sources of virgin steel, made from iron ore rather than recycled – is likely to be determined in a matter of days, with the Department for Business and Trade now actively pondering nationalisation.

The upshot is that even as Britain contends with a trade war across the Atlantic, it is now working against the clock to secure the future of steelmaking at Scunthorpe.

British Steel proceesing

The talks between the government and Jingye broke down last week after the Chinese company, which bought British Steel out of receivership in 2020, rejected a £500m offer of public money to replace the existing furnaces with electric arc furnaces.

More on China

The sum is the same one it offered to Tata Steel, which has shut down the other remaining UK blast furnaces in Port Talbot and is planning to build electric furnaces – which have far lower carbon emissions.

These steel workers could soon be out of work
Image:
These steel workers could soon be out of work

However, the owners argue that the amount is too little to justify extra investment at Scunthorpe, and said last week they were now consulting on the date of shutting both the blast furnaces and the attached steelworks.

Since British Steel is the main provider of steel rails to Network Rail – as well as other construction steels available from only a few sites in the world – the closure would leave the UK more reliant on imports for critical infrastructure sites.

British Steel in action

However, since the site belongs to its Chinese owners, a decision to nationalise the site would involve radical steps government officials are wary of taking.

They also fear leaving taxpayers exposed to a potentially loss-making business for the long run.

British Steel

The dilemma has been heightened by the sharp turn in geopolitical sentiment following Donald Trump’s return to the White House.

The incipient trade war and threatened cut in American support to Europe have sparked fresh calls for countries to act urgently to secure their own supplies of critical materials, especially those used for defence and infrastructure.

Read more:
Car manufacturers fined £461m for collusion
There were no winners from Trump’s tariff gameshow

Gareth Stace, head of UK Steel, the industry lobby group, said: “Talks seem to have broken down between government and British Steel.

“My advice to government is: please, Jonathan Reynolds, Business Secretary, get back round that negotiating table, thrash out a deal, and if a deal can’t be found in the next few days, then I fear for the very future of the sector, but also here for Scunthorpe steelworks.”

British Steel declined to comment.

Continue Reading

Trending