Ambulance and hospital trusts across the country have declared critical incidents as a result of “sustained” and “unprecedented” pressure on services.
Declaring a critical incident allows trusts to prioritise the patients most in need and to instigate additional measures to protect patient safety, trusts said.
It comes as nurses were striking for a second day on Tuesday, and as fears grow over the impact of an ambulance strike on Wednesday – when thousands of paramedics, technicians, control room workers and other staff in England and Wales are set to walk out.
The following services have declared critical incidents:
• North East Ambulance Service • South East Coast Ambulance Service • East of England Ambulance Service • Portsmouth Hospitals University NHS Trust • Nottingham and Nottinghamshire’s health and care system • South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust • Yorkshire Ambulance Service
Image: Members of the Royal College of Nursing (RCN) at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham are among those striking
The services said they took their decisions due to pressures including 999 call volumes and hospital handover delays. All the trusts have urged members of the public to call 999 only in the case of a serious medical emergency.
As well as prioritising certain patients, critical incident status allows trusts to call off training sessions and bookings for non-emergency transportation, and call on other providers for help.
What have the different trusts said?
Advertisement
North East Ambulance Service, which operates across Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, County Durham, Darlington and Teesside, said the decision was made there as a result of “significant delays for more than 200 patients waiting for an ambulance, together with a reduction in ambulance crew availability to respond because of delays in handing over patients at the region’s hospitals”.
Chief operating officer Stephen Segasby said: “Our service is under unprecedented pressure. Declaring a critical incident means we can focus our resources on those patients most in need and communicates the pressures we are under to our health system partners who can provide support.”
He said the trust had been operating at “its highest level of operational alert since 5 December”.
South East Coast Ambulance Service, which covers Brighton and Hove, East Sussex, West Sussex, Kent, Surrey and North East Hampshire, said it had experienced “more than a week of sustained pressure across our 999 and 111 services, significantly impacting on our ability to respond to patients”.
A spokesperson said the situation would be kept under close review.
The East of England Ambulance Service, which works in Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Essex, Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire, said NHS services in the region “are currently under huge pressure”, while London Ambulance Service also said its 999 and 111 services “remain extremely busy” and it would be prioritising the “sickest and most severely injured patients”.
Ambulances could be seen queuing outside Lister Hospital in Stevenage, Hertfordshire, on Tuesday.
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust said some appointments would be rescheduled. Medical director Dr Keith Girling said staff were working “tirelessly” to deal with a “large number of people with illnesses arriving in emergency departments seeking assistance”.
Dr Girling continued: “We regret that this will impact patients who were due to receive planned care over the next few days and sincerely apologise to all those affected.”
A spokesperson for the hospital reassured patients that these appointments “will be rescheduled as soon as possible.”
Their statement added: “If your relative is due to be discharged from hospital and needs to be collected, please do so as early as possible. This will help our teams and free up a hospital bed for someone waiting to be admitted.”
In a statement, Portsmouth Hospitals University NHS Trust, which covers health services across Portsmouth and South East Hampshire, said “demand for an emergency response is far outstripping the capacity available… at this time”.
It continued: “There are significant and unacceptable delays currently and we apologise for this. We are doing everything in our power to meet the current demand. Our capacity will only be used for life-threatening conditions or injuries.”
Ambulance workers set to stage strikes
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
0:26
Nurse: ‘We’re committed to continue strikes’
Thousands of nurses are staging a second walkout today, while ambulance workers who are GMB union members are striking on Wednesday. Both are calling for better pay, working conditions and improved conditions for patients.
The government has announced controversial plans to deploy more than 1,000 civil servants and 1,200 troops to cover striking ambulance workers and Border Force staff, who are preparing to walk out for eight days from 23 December until New Year’s Eve.
Unions branded the move a “desperate measure” and warned the servicemen and women are not “sufficiently trained” to plug staffing gaps on the front line.
During the ambulance strike, military personnel will not drive ambulances on blue lights for the most serious calls, but are expected to provide support on less serious calls.
Negotiations over which incidents should be exempt from strike action
Unions and ambulance services are still negotiating to work out which incidents should be exempt from strike action.
All Category 1 calls (the most life-threatening, such as cardiac arrest) will be responded to, while some ambulance trusts have agreed exemptions with unions for specific incidents within Category 2 (serious conditions, such as stroke or chest pain).
It means those who suffer trips, falls or other non-life-threatening injuries may not receive treatment.
The London Ambulance Service has said that “patients whose conditions are not life-threatening are unlikely to get an ambulance on industrial action days”.
GMB members are set to stage a second ambulance worker walkout on 28 December.
Rachel Harrison, a national secretary at the GMB trade union, has told MPs that unless the health secretary is willing to talk about pay, ambulance strikes will go ahead.
Two people who died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness have been named by police.
Lincolnshire Police said 48-year-old Lee Baker and his 10-year-old daughter Esme Baker, both from the Nottingham area, were killed in the blaze.
However, formal identification is still yet to take place and “could take some time”, the force said.
Emergency services were alerted to a fire at Golden Beach Holiday Park, in the village of Ingoldmells, at 3.53am on Saturday.
In a statement issued through police, a member of the Baker family said: “Lee and Esme were excited to be spending the first weekend of the holidays together.
“We are all utterly devastated at what’s happened.
“This loss is incomprehensible at the moment, and we ask for people to give us space to process this utterly heartbreaking loss.”
A GoFundMe page set up for the victims’ family described the father and daughter as “two peas in a pod” who were “both happy-go-lucky people who loved life”. It has so far raised more than £3,000.
The police force, together with Lincolnshire Fire & Rescue, are continuing to investigate the cause of the blaze.
Detective Inspector Lee Nixon said: “We believe we might be close to arriving at a working hypothesis.
“We are working hard to validate the facts available to us to be able to provide answers for the family and loved ones of those who were very tragically taken by this fire.
“Yet the evident intensity of the fire has made this task incredibly challenging.”
Dan Moss, from Lincolnshire Fire & Rescue, said: “Our thoughts and deepest condolences are with the family at this time.
“Our Fire Investigation Team is working with colleagues from Lincolnshire Police, and a full investigation into the cause of the fire is ongoing.
“Once investigations are complete, local fire crews and our community fire safety team will be on hand to talk to people in the area and address any fire safety concerns they may have, at what will be an upsetting time.”
A man has been arrested by police investigating a “significant” wildfire that triggered a major incident in Northern Ireland.
More than 100 firefighters and 15 fire appliances were deployed on Saturday to Sandbank Road, Hilltown, to tackle the blaze which is believed to have been caused deliberately, fire chiefs said.
Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) said the fire had a front of approximately two miles “including a large area of forestry close to property”.
It was extinguished at 2.53am on Sunday and the major incident status lifted, the NIFRS said.
“The cause of this fire is believed to have been deliberate,” chief fire and rescue officer Aidan Jennings said.
The Police Service of Northern Ireland said on Sunday that a 25-year-old man had been arrested “on suspicion of arson being reckless as to whether life would be endangered, and non-related driving offences”.
“He remains in custody at this time as enquiries continue into the circumstances surrounding the fire,” the force added.
Image: The wildfire on Sandbank Road, Hilltown. Pic: Sky Watch NI
Image: More than 100 firefighters were at the scene of the fire. Pic: Sky Watch NI
On Saturday, helicopters were deployed to tackle Scotland’s fourth wildfire this week, with police saying a blaze “which started in the Newton Stewart area has spread northwards and is expected to reach the Loch Doon area of East Ayrshire around 12am on Sunday”.
Police Scotland added: “As a precautionary measure members of the public are asked to avoid the Loch Doon area and anyone who may be camping in the area is advised to leave.”
Image: Moors Valley Country Park blackened by fires this week
Elsewhere in England, Devon and Cornwall Police said they were assisting the fire service with temporary road closures on the A30 in the Bolventor area as they tackle “a number of fires” on moorland.
In Dorset, Moors Valley Country Park was forced to close after multiple wildfires broke out there on Wednesday.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
1:28
Wildfires spread across nature reserve
Separate incidents were then reported at Upton Heath in Poole on Wednesday, and nearby Canford Heath in the early hours of Thursday.
Friday was officially the warmest day of the year so far – with temperatures in the south of England reaching 23C (73.4F) – the highest since 21 September last year, according to the Met Office.
Police are investigating after a man was shot dead in County Durham.
Officers were called to an address in Elm Street, Stanley, at about 5.20pm on Saturday after reports of a “disturbance”, Durham Constabulary said.
A man in his 50s was found to have been shot and despite the efforts of paramedics he was pronounced dead at the scene.
His family have been told and are being supported by specially trained officers.
Specialist crime scene investigators are at the scene, and officers are carrying out house-to-house enquiries.
A cordon is in place and is expected to stay there for some time.
Detective Superintendent Neil Fuller said: “This is a truly shocking incident in which a man has been shot and has sadly died.”
He added: “Residents may see an increased police presence in the area. I would like to thank them for their support while we carry out this investigation.
“Our thoughts are with the man’s family at this time.”