Connect with us

Published

on

US President Joe Biden has become the latest and most powerful Western leader to visit Kyiv since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in February last year.

The show of solidarity for President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and his people came as a surprise to many, as the White House said last week that the US president had no intention of visiting Ukraine.

Whether or not that statement was true at the time is something we will likely never know, but some details of how the president’s secretive and historic visit was carried out are beginning to emerge.

Here is how the high-security operation unfolded.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘I gotta handshake here, too?’

Journalists told to await ‘arrival instructions for the golf tourney’

Two journalists were summoned to a private meeting with the White House’s communications director Kate Bedingfield on Friday.

They were informed that President Biden would be travelling to Kyiv and that they were the only two journalists who would be allowed to travel with him.

They would form the “travel pool” – meaning it would be their responsibility to share details with other news organisations.

These pool reporters were sworn to secrecy about the trip and told to look out for an email containing instructions for an early Sunday morning departure from Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland.

The subject line would read: “Arrival instructions for the golf tourney.”

The email arrived just after 3pm eastern US time (8pm UK time) on Saturday.

The journalists were told to report to the Andrews base between 2am and 2.15am eastern US time (7am and 7.15am UK time) the following morning.

Joe Biden sits on the train with his National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan. Pic: AP
Image:
Joe Biden sits on the train with his National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan. Pic: AP

Departure from the air base

The pool journalists arrived at the base and had their phones taken from them. The devices were not returned until their arrival at the US embassy in Kyiv more than 24 hours later.

They then boarded an Air Force C-32 often used to fly into smaller airports during domestic travel.

Before its departure, the plane sat in the dark next to a hangar with the shades drawn and away from the tarmac where it is typically parked for presidential travel.

Air Force One departed from the Andrews base at 4.15am eastern US time (9.15am UK time) on Sunday.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Biden talks ‘very fruitful’ – Zelenskyy

Biden arrives in Germany

Air Force One touched down at Ramstein Air Base in Germany at 5.13pm local time (4.13pm UK time) Sunday under slightly overcast skies to refuel after an approximately seven-hour flight.

The plane remained with its shades down for the duration of its time on the ground, which lasted roughly an hour and 15 minutes.

The journalists on board remained in the press cabin the entire time and did not see Mr Biden at any point during the flight or stop in Ramstein.

Air Force One took off at 6.29pm local time (5.29pm UK time) after the sun had set and the skies were dark.

Pic: AP
Image:
Pic: AP

Arrival in Rzeszow

Air Force One landed at the Rzeszow-Jasionka Airport in southeastern Poland at 7.57pm local time (8:57pm UK time) on Sunday.

The airport was clear upon Mr Biden’s arrival.

The journalists did not see the US president get out of Air Force One before he was quickly ushered towards an SUV.

The president’s motorcade began rolling at 8.12pm local time (7.12pm UK time) on a roughly one-hour drive along a fairly empty eastbound highway.

One of the pool journalists counted at least 20 cars in the motorcade which consisted of a mix of minivans, SUVs and suburbans – and sirens were not used to avoid drawing attention.

Pic: AP
Image:
Pic: AP

Biden catches the train from Poland to Ukraine

Biden’s motorcade arrived at the Przemysl Głowny train station at approximately 9.15pm local time (8.15pm UK time).

The motorcade pulled directly up to a train that was mostly purple with two large strips at the bottom from its exterior and large square windows with the shades mostly drawn.

A handful of the train cars were blue with a yellow stripe along the middle and were reminiscent of the trains that have brought refugees into Poland from Ukraine.

Mr Biden was dropped directly in front of his train car.

The pool journalists were escorted to their own train car and put in separate sleeper cabins, each of which contained four single bunkbed-style beds.

One of the journalists was told by a security officer that the train had approximately eight cars, including the engines.

Most of the train was occupied by a heavy security presence.

A small group of passengers awaiting a separate train on the opposite side of the tracks were huddled in conversation and occasionally glanced over, but it was unclear if they could make out any of the activity unfolding before them.

The train left Przemysl Głowny at 9.37pm local time (8.37pm UK time).

One of the pool journalists was told by an agent on board that the train crossed the border into Ukraine at roughly 10pm local time on Sunday but this was not confirmed.

Much of the journey occurred in the dark and so there was little visible beyond streetlights and the shadows of buildings in the distance.

There was no interaction between the pool journalists and White House staff traveling with the president throughout the 10-hour journey, nor any sightings of Mr Biden on his favourite mode of transport.

There were a handful of stops, at least once to pick up additional security, along the way. It was not always clear what prompted the stops, most of which were brief, and the journalists were isolated from the staff on board.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Biden and Zelenskyy meet in Kyiv

Biden arrives in Kyiv

The sun had risen as the train carrying President Biden approached the Ukrainian capital Kyiv.

One of the journalists aboard described how “views from the window largely consisted of graffiti walls, barren winter trees and a colourful assortment of brick homes – many of them in pastel colours”.

The train came to a stop at the Kyiv-Pasazhyrsky station at roughly 8am local time (6am UK time) on Monday.

The area around the platform had been cleared and US ambassador to Ukraine, Bridget Brink, awaited Mr Biden and his staff in chilly outdoor conditions.

The president’s first words after stepping off the train were: “It’s good to be back in Kyiv.”

The motorcade, which again was a mix of SUVs, minivans and armoured vehicles, rolled from the train station to Mariinsky Palace – the official residence of the Ukrainian president.

Along the way, the motorcade passed Kyiv’s Independence Square, the site of major demonstrations in 2013 and 2014.

The president’s stops consisted of a meeting with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy at Mariinsky Palace, a walkabout with Mr Zelenskyy at St. Michael’s Cathedral, and a stop at the US embassy in Kyiv.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Joe Biden arrives in Poland

Biden heads back to Poland

Biden departed Kyiv just before 1.10pm local time (11.10am UK time) in the same train he arrived in.

The train crossed the border back into Poland shortly after 8pm local time (7pm UK time).

The train arrived at the Przemyśl Główny at 8:45pm (7.45pm).

Continue Reading

World

Donald Trump revokes Secret Service protection for former vice president Kamala Harris

Published

on

By

Donald Trump revokes Secret Service protection for former vice president Kamala Harris

US President Donald Trump has revoked Secret Service protection for former vice president and 2024 Democratic rival Kamala Harris.

A senior adviser to Ms Harris, Kirsten Allen, confirmed the decision. “The vice president is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety,” said the adviser.

Typically, vice presidents receive a six-month security detail from the Secret Service after they leave office, although it had been extended to 18 months for Ms Harris, according to officials.

Initially, then-president Joe Biden extended her security arrangements to one year, or January 2026, according to reports.

However, a Secret Service official told Sky News’ US partner, NBC, that Mr Biden subsequently signed an executive memorandum in January increasing the then vice-president’s protection period even further, to 18 months.

Former US presidents receive Secret Service protection for life.

Read more from Sky News:
Ed Davey has written to King to explain Trump dinner boycott
Thai prime minister sacked for ethics violation

Revoking Harris’ federal protection will be deemed ‘malicious’ by Trump’s critics

We don’t know why the former vice president’s Secret Service protection has been revoked – the White House gave no explanation.

We do know why former president Joe Biden extended it from the usual six months to 18 months before he left office.

Such decisions tend to be based on advice from the Department of Homeland Security, determined by the perceived threat level.

Kamala Harris isn’t just a former vice president of the United States. She was the first woman and first African American to hold that office.

In addition to that, she was the Democratic candidate in last year’s election – the battle against Donald Trump raising her profile even higher.

By early 2025, she had plans for a book tour. Her memoir, 107 Days, marking the short period of her candidature, is due out next month.

Extending federal protection would have bolstered Ms Harris’ safety during extensive public appearances.

In short, the extension reflected heightened security needs – her symbolic status and increased visibility from upcoming public engagements.

But the White House has pulled her Secret Service security detail, a move that will be deemed malicious by the president’s critics.

Ms Harris, who lost the 2024 presidential election to Mr Trump, is due to start a book tour for her memoir, 107 Days, shortly.

She was the Democratic nominee for 107 days after Mr Biden exited the race in the weeks following a challenging debate against Mr Trump.

Mr Trump has also ended federal security protection for others, including former national security adviser John Bolton. Last week, FBI agents raided Mr Bolton’s Maryland home.

In March, the president ended protection for Mr Biden’s children, Hunter and Ashley Biden.

Ms Harris has not ruled out a possible presidential run in 2028. She announced in July that she would not run for governor of California in 2026.

Continue Reading

World

Thai prime minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra sacked for ethics violation after leaked phone call

Published

on

By

Thai prime minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra sacked for ethics violation after leaked phone call

Thailand’s prime minister has been sacked after a leaked phone call with a senior Cambodian politician caused outrage.

Paetongtarn Shinawatra, who was Thailand’s youngest PM, has been dismissed from office by the country’s Constitutional Court after only a year in power.

The court found Ms Shinawatra, 39, violated ethics in a leaked June telephone call, during which she appeared to kowtow to Cambodia’s former leader Hun Sen as the bordering countries were on the verge of an armed conflict.

She also criticised a Thai army commander – a taboo move in a country where the military is extremely influential.

Fighting erupted weeks later and lasted five days. At least 35 people were killed and more than 260,000 were displaced.

Ms Shinawatra, who was new to politics when she took office in August last year, apologised over the call and said she was trying to avert a war. She was suspended in July.

Ms Shinawatra arriving at Government House in Bangkok ahead of the verdict on Friday. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Ms Shinawatra arriving at Government House in Bangkok ahead of the verdict on Friday. Pic: Reuters

She is now the fifth Thai PM from, or backed by, the billionaire Shinawatra family to be removed by the military or the judiciary in 17 years, amid a battle for power between the country’s warring elites.

The ruling thrusts Thailand into more political uncertainty at a time of public unease over stalled reforms and a stuttering economy.

The decline of Thailand’s most powerful political dynasty

This is a damning verdict for the Thai prime minister.

Paetongtarn Shinawatra said she “acted with the purest of intentions” and that she hoped for political unity.

But with one phone call, she has pushed Thailand to the brink of a political crisis.

It was a naive and explosive mistake. And it couldn’t have happened at a worse time.

Right now, the kingdom is facing massive insecurity.

Border tensions with Cambodia could erupt again at any point and it is just weeks since the two sides were exchanging fire.

Thailand needs strong and definite leadership. Instead, it now has months of jeopardy.

Paetongtarn is now the fifth leader to be removed from office by the constitutional court in just 17 years.

But her particular ouster is part of a much bigger story – the decline of Thailand’s most powerful political dynasty.

Last week, her father Thaksin was cleared of insulting the monarchy.

But he faces more court cases and the misstep by his daughter threatens to severely weaken their political domination as a family.

Pateongtarn crossed a red line for Thais – insulting the all-important military.

She clearly trusted “uncle” Hun Sen. She shouldn’t have.

His revenge leak has unseated her and her nation.

Now comes a messy grappling to fill the power vacuum she leaves behind.

Speaking after the court’s decision, the exiting PM said “all sides” in Thai politics now “have to work together to build political stability and to ensure that there won’t be another turning point again”.

The focus will now shift to who will replace Ms Shinawatra.

Her influential, billionaire father, Thaksin Shinawatra, who also once served as Thailand’s PM, is expected to be at the heart of a flurry of bargaining to keep the ruling Pheu Thai party in power.

Follow The World
Follow The World

Listen to The World with Richard Engel and Yalda Hakim every Wednesday

Tap to follow

Read more:
What happened between Thailand and Cambodia
Drug epidemic sweeps Southeast Asia

The leader of the main opposition People’s Party has called for the next prime minister to dissolve parliament once they are installed.

The deputy PM, Phumtham Wechayachai, and the current cabinet will act as government caretakers until a new leader is elected by parliament. There is no time limit on when that must take place.

Continue Reading

World

Vladimir Putin may be playing for time while he carries on beating down Ukraine’s will to win

Published

on

By

Vladimir Putin may be playing for time while he carries on beating down Ukraine's will to win

After all those raised hopes of peace, Ukraine has been hit by the second-worst night of Russian air attacks since the war began.

So much for diplomacy, despite the Alaska summit, then the Washington DC meeting.

The Kremlin says it was aiming at military targets, but yet again, the pictures tell a very different story.

Follow latest: UK summons Putin’s ambassador

Firefighters work at the site of a burning building after a Russian attack in Kyiv, Ukraine. Pic: AP
Image:
Firefighters work at the site of a burning building after a Russian attack in Kyiv, Ukraine. Pic: AP

One civilian building after another was hit, more than a dozen people were killed, and British Council and EU buildings were also damaged.

So what’s going on? Why is Vladimir Putin doing it?

Because he can.

The Russian president thinks he’s winning this war, and it’s hard to escape the conclusion that he’s using diplomacy to play for time while he carries on beating down the Ukrainians’ will to win.

And at the moment, no one is stopping him

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

At least 14 killed in Kyiv attack

Ukraine is hitting back, particularly at Russia‘s oil installations, more of them going up in thick black smoke, after being hit by long-range Ukrainian drones.

It is taking a heavy toll on Putin’s ‘Achilles heel’, but on its own, analysts don’t expect it will be enough to persuade him to end this war.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

British Council building hit in Kyiv

The West can wring its hands in condemnation.

But it’s divided between Europe that wants a ceasefire and much more severe sanctions, and Donald Trump, who, it seems, does not – strangely always willing to sympathise with the Russians more than Ukraine.

He’s back to blaming Ukraine for starting the war, saying earlier in the week that Kyiv should not have got into a war it had no chance of winning.

It is a grotesque perversion of history. Ukraine, of course, had no choice but to fight to defend itself when it was invaded in an act of unprovoked aggression.

Every time the US president has condemned Russia for these kinds of attacks, he has never followed through and done nothing to punish them.

Rescue workers carry an injured woman after a Russian strike on Kyiv, Ukraine. Pic: AP
Image:
Rescue workers carry an injured woman after a Russian strike on Kyiv, Ukraine. Pic: AP

More worryingly for the Ukrainians, the Russians are getting the upper hand in the drones war, taking Iranian technology and souping it up into faster-moving drones that the Ukrainians are having increasing difficulty bringing down.

They expect as many as a thousand drones a night coming their way by the winter, and many, many more innocents to die.

Next week, Putin will join Chinese and North Korean leaders in a summit in Beijing, both supporting his war in Ukraine.

(L-R) Vladimir Putin, Xi Jinping and Kim Jong Un. Pics: Reuters
Image:
(L-R) Vladimir Putin, Xi Jinping and Kim Jong Un. Pics: Reuters

Read more from Dominic Waghorn:
Ukrainians warn they’re in danger of losing drone arms race
We are further away from peace now than we were two weeks ago

Follow The World
Follow The World

Listen to The World with Richard Engel and Yalda Hakim every Wednesday

Tap to follow

A war that began as one man’s mad idea has, in three and a half years, metastasised into a titanic struggle between east and west, fought increasingly with machines in a dystopian evolution of war.

If Mr Trump is not prepared to use his power to bring this war to an end, what will another three and a half years of his presidency bring?

It is a chilling question.

Continue Reading

Trending