The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s daughter Princess Lilibet Diana has been christened, a spokesperson has said.
A statement from the Sussexes read: “I can confirm that Princess Lilibet Diana was christened on Friday, March 3 by the Archbishop of Los Angeles, the Rev John Taylor.”
This is the first time Lilibet, Lili for short, has been publicly referred to as Princess.
She became a princess when her grandfather, King Charles, acceded to the throne.
It is understood that both Lili and Archie’s title’s as princess and prince will be used in formal settings, but not in everyday use by the couple.
Having remained as “master” and “miss” on the Buckingham Palace website, the Palace have confirmed the site’s line of succession list will now be updated to reflect the change.
It is believed there was correspondence with the King, who was made aware beforehand that the Sussexes intended to refer to their daughter as Princess Lili.
Both Harry and Meghan are keen not to deny their children their birth-right, but wish to let them decide for themselves, if they want to keep using their titles or drop them later on.
Advertisement
The ceremony took place privately at the Sussexes’ home in Montecito, California.
‘Lili made us a family’
The first public image of Lili was released in December 2021, in the couple’s Christmas card.
The image, taken by Alexi Lubomirski, showed Harry hugging their son Archie, as Meghan raised Lilibet into the air.
Image: Harry, Archie, Meghan and Lilibet. Pic: Alexi Lubomirski
The opening line of the message in the card read: “This year, 2021, we welcomed our daughter, Lilibet, to the world. Archie made us a ‘Mama’ and a ‘Papa’, and Lili made us a family.”
Lili then celebrated her first birthday at Frogmore Cottage, Windsor, in June 2022, the same property the couple have now been asked to “vacate”, according to a spokesperson.
The request to leave Frogmore Cottage came after the publication of Harry’s autobiography Spare, in which he was scathing of his family, and was seen as a major rebuke by Charles to his son, who moved to the US in 2020.
The couple also aired their grievances about their alleged treatment in a Netflix series.
Despite this, a spokesperson for the pair told The Times that they have been invited to attend the King’s Coronation in May.
They have reportedly not yet made a decision, as the event falls on son Archie’s 4th birthday.
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.
The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.
JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.
In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.
“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”
The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.
More on Donald Trump
Related Topics:
JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.
“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.
Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.
All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.
Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.
For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.
Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.
Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.
In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.
Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.
They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.
The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.
Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.
“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.
A 15-year-old boy has died after “getting into difficulty” in a lake in southeast London, police say.
Officers and paramedics were called shortly after 3pm on Friday to Beckenham Place Park in Lewisham.
The Metropolitan Police said a boy “was recovered from the lake” at around 10.42pm the same day.
“He was taken to hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead. His death is being treated as unexpected but not believed to be suspicious,” according to the force.
The boy’s family has been told and are being supported by specialist officers.
The force originally said the child was 16 years old, but has since confirmed his age as 15.
In the earlier statement, officers said emergency services carried out a search and the park was evacuated.
More from UK
Image: Emergency teams were called to Beckenham Place Park on Friday afternoon
Beckenham Place Park, which borders the London borough of Bromley, covers around 240 acres, according to the park’s website.
The lake is described as 285 metres long, reaching depths of up to 3.5 metres.
It is designed as a swimming lake for open-water swimming and paddle boarding.
A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said on Friday: “We were called at 3.02pm this afternoon to reports of a person in the water.
“We sent resources to the scene, including an ambulance crew, an incident response officer and members of our hazardous area response team.”
Emergency teams have not explained how the boy entered the water, or whether he was accompanied by others.