Venture capitalists and technology executives are scrambling to make sense and account for the potential repercussions of the sudden implosion of Silicon Valley Bank on Friday.
The Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. said Friday that U.S. federal regulators shut down Silicon Valley Bank, the premiere financial institution for Silicon Valley tech startups for the past 40 years. The collapse of SVB represents the biggest banking failure since the 2008 global economic crises.
Numerous venture investors and technology executives expressed shock to CNBC, some comparing SVB’s current debacle to the Lehman Brothers, which filed for bankruptcy in 2008. Many of the investors and execs requested anonymity discussing matters that might affect their firms and employees.
General sentiment is that SVB did a poor job communicating to clients when it announced earlier this week that it would be raising $500 million from venture firm General Atlantic while also unloading holdings worth roughly $21 billion at a loss of $1.8 billion. One VC said the fact for SVB to announce that it’s raising money while at the same time essentially saying that everything is “fine,” seemed to trigger people’s memories of Lehman Brothers, who they remember acted similarly at the time.
“So unfortunately, they repeated mistakes in history and anyone who lived through that period said, ‘Hey, maybe they’re not fine; we were told that last time,'” the VC said.
SVB attempted to quell any fears that it was financially unsound as late as Thursday evening.
In one email that SVB sent to a customer, a copy of which CNBC obtained, the bank characterized the rumors about its problems as “buzz about SVB in the markets” and attempted to reassure the customer that it “launched a series of strategic actions to strengthen our financial position, enhance profitability and improve financial flexibility now and in the future.”
“It is business as usual at SVB,” the bank said in the email to startups. It added toward the end of the email, “Moreover, we have a 40 year history navigating bear and bull markets and have developed leading risk mitigation capabilities to ensure our long term financial health.”
Another venture capitalist said that a representative from Silicon Valley Bank called their firm on Thursday to assuage their fears, but that the firm’s CFO “didn’t feel that it was reassuring, to say the least.”
However, one tech CEO was sympathetic to the bank’s plight, asking, “What message would ever reassure you that your money is safe when other people are telling you that there’s a fraud happening? There’s no message because it’s not a messaging thing. It’s the prisoner’s dilemma thing is everybody at that moment now has to try and imagine what everybody else is going to do.”
When asked for comment, a representative from SVB referred CNBC back to the FDIC announcement. “The FDIC will share additional information when it is available.”
‘A Twitter-led bank run’
Several venture capitalists quickly told their portfolio companies to move money out of Silicon Valley Bank to other banks, including Merrill Lynch, First Republic, and JP Morgan, so they could pay their employees on time next week.
One AI startup executive noted that the company’s chief financial officer was quick to handle the situation, and it had enough money to pay employees on time. Still, the collapse of SVB left a poor taste in the executive’s mouth, who said that the bank’s collapse feels like “unnecessary hysteria.”
“It makes me disappointed in our ecosystem,” the startup CEO said.
Many venture capitalists echoed the startup CEO’s sentiment that the SVB collapse felt like a self-fulfilling prophecy created by unnecessary panic. Some likened it to a “Twitter-led bank run,” as the tech community took to social media to spread information, and, often, panic. One prominent technology CEO told CNBC that numerous startup founders were using Twitter and Meta’s communication service WhatsApp to send each other rapid-fire updates.
One venture capitalist said it was as if someone screamed “fire in a crowded theater where there is no fire.”
“And then when everyone rushes to the door, they knock over the oil lamp and there is a fire and it burns down the building,” the venture capitalist said. “And then that same person standing outside being like, ‘see I told you so.'”
‘Everyone is scrambling’
As the panic spread and the FDIC stepped in, companies with funds locked up were reporting problems getting cash out and making payroll.
One startup founder told CNBC that “everyone is scrambling.” He said he has talked to more than 30 other founders, and that both big and small companies are being impacted.
The founder added that a CFO from a unicorn startup has tried to move more than $45 million out of SVB to no avail. Another company with 250 employees told the founder that SVB has “all our cash.”
Another founder said her company’s payroll provider moved from SVB to another bank on Thursday, which meant payroll did not run for employees as planned Friday morning. She said she has been over-communicating with employees to alleviate their concerns as much as possible, and she is expecting payroll to hit by the end of the day Friday.
In the case that it doesn’t, the company is planning to wire employees who need immediate spot coverage the funds directly, according to an internal memo viewed by CNBC.
“A lot of people live down to the dollar in terms of budgeting, and they cannot afford 24 hour delay in their payroll,” the founder said.
Jean Yang, the founder and CEO of monitoring company Akita, attempted to perform a wire transfer to ensure she could make payroll for her seven-person team, then drove to the SVB location on Sand Hill Road in Menlo Park, a street populated by venture-capital offices.
There, she asked a teller for a bank transfer and was told the branch couldn’t do it. So she asked for a cashier’s check for $1 million. After 20 or 25 minutes the bank handed it over.
Others in line were taking out their entire balance. “I regret not taking out our entire balance now,” she said.
On Frida, Yang returned to the Silicon Valley Bank branch 15 minutes before it opened to remove the remaining money. A line of about 40 people had formed. Gossip spread among those waiting. One person showed a tweet on their phone suggesting that bank employees had been instructed not to come to work.
Then an employee came out of the office and offered about 15 copies of an article from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation on the agency’s response to the bank’s situation. The line disbanded as people realized the bank’s fate.
Later on Friday one of the startup’s investors called Yang and offered to help Akita make payroll, she said.”My hope is that the government bails out people past $250,000,” she said. “I know people with tens of millions, hundreds of millions with SVB. I think if they only get $250,000, their companies are going to be wiped out.”
“Now, everyone’s waiting to see when the Treasury will step in,” said another venture investor. “Hopefully [California Governor] Gavin Newsom is calling Biden right now and saying, ‘This is systemic in our area, but you can see the ripple effects on other banks and their equities and their bonds.’ If it’s systemic, I think the Treasury will step in like 2007 and ’08 and protect the money market accounts, plus will protect the depositor.”
This person added, “If they don’t step in, then people will presume that money’s lost. That’s going to have huge ramifications on the business environment.”
Microsoft owns lots of Nvidia graphics processing units, but it isn’t using them to develop state-of-the-art artificial intelligence models.
There are good reasons for that position, Mustafa Suleyman, the company’s CEO of AI, told CNBC’s Steve Kovach in an interview on Friday. Waiting to build models that are “three or six months behind” offers several advantages, including lower costs and the ability to concentrate on specific use cases, Suleyman said.
It’s “cheaper to give a specific answer once you’ve waited for the first three or six months for the frontier to go first. We call that off-frontier,” he said. “That’s actually our strategy, is to really play a very tight second, given the capital-intensiveness of these models.”
Suleyman made a name for himself as a co-founder of DeepMind, the AI lab that Google bought in 2014, reportedly for $400 million to $650 million. Suleyman arrived at Microsoft last year alongside other employees of the startup Inflection, where he had been CEO.
More than ever, Microsoft counts on relationships with other companies to grow.
It gets AI models from San Francisco startup OpenAI and supplemental computing power from newly public CoreWeave in New Jersey. Microsoft has repeatedly enriched Bing, Windows and other products with OpenAI’s latest systems for writing human-like language and generating images.
Microsoft’s Copilot will gain “memory” to retain key facts about people who repeatedly use the assistant, Suleyman said Friday at an event in Microsoft’s Redmond, Washington, headquarters to commemorate the company’s 50th birthday. That feature came first to OpenAI’s ChatGPT, which has 500 million weekly users.
Through ChatGPT, people can access top-flight large language models such as the o1 reasoning model that takes time before spitting out an answer. OpenAI introduced that capability in September — only weeks later did Microsoft bring a similar capability called Think Deeper to Copilot.
Microsoft occasionally releases open-source small-language models that can run on PCs. They don’t require powerful server GPUs, making them different from OpenAI’s o1.
OpenAI and Microsoft have held a tight relationship shortly after the startup launched its ChatGPT chatbot in late 2022, effectively kicking off the generative AI race. In total, Microsoft has invested $13.75 billion in the startup, but more recently, fissures in the relationship between the two companies have begun to show.
Microsoft added OpenAI to its list of competitors in July 2024, and OpenAI in January announced that it was working with rival cloud provider Oracle on the $500 billion Stargate project. That came after years of OpenAI exclusively relying on Microsoft’s Azure cloud. Despite OpenAI partnering with Oracle, Microsoft in a blog post announced that the startup had “recently made a new, large Azure commitment.”
“Look, it’s absolutely mission-critical that long-term, we are able to do AI self-sufficiently at Microsoft,” Suleyman said. “At the same time, I think about these things over five and 10 year periods. You know, until 2030 at least, we are deeply partnered with OpenAI, who have [had an] enormously successful relationship for us.
Microsoft is focused on building its own AI internally, but the company is not pushing itself to build the most cutting-edge models, Suleyman said.
“We have an incredibly strong AI team, huge amounts of compute, and it’s very important to us that, you know, maybe we don’t develop the absolute frontier, the best model in the world first,” he said. “That’s very, very expensive to do and unnecessary to cause that duplication.”
President Trump’s new tariffs on goods that the U.S. imports from over 100 countries will have an effect on consumers, former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer told CNBC on Friday. Investors will feel the pain, too.
Microsoft’s stock dropped almost 6% in the past two days, as the Nasdaq wrapped up its worst week in five years.
“As a Microsoft shareholder, this kind of thing is not good,” Ballmer said, in an interview with Andrew Ross Sorkin that was tied to Microsoft’s 50th anniversary celebration. “It creates opportunity to be a serious, long-term player.”
Ballmer was sandwiched in between Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates and current CEO Satya Nadella for the interview.
“I took just enough economics in college — that tariffs are actually going to bring some turmoil,” said Ballmer, who was succeeded by Nadella in 2014. Gates, Microsoft’s first CEO, convinced Ballmer to join the company in 1980.
Gates, Ballmer and Nadella attended proceedings at Microsoft’s Redmond, Washington, campus on Friday to celebrate its first half-century.
Between the tariffs and weak quarterly revenue guidance announced in January, Microsoft’s stock is on track for its fifth straight month of declines, which would be the worst stretch since 2009. But the company remains a leader in the PC operating system and productivity software markets, and its partnership with startup OpenAI has led to gains in cloud computing.
“I think that disruption is very hard on people, and so the decision to do something for which disruption was inevitable, that needs a lot of popular support, and nobody could game theorize exactly who is going to do what in response,” Ballmer said, regarding the tariffs. “So, I think citizens really like stability a lot. And I hope people — individuals who will feel this, because people are feeling it, not just the stock market, people are going to feel it.”
Ballmer, who owns the Los Angeles Clippers, is among Microsoft’s biggest fans. He said he’s the company’s largest investor. In 2014, shortly after he bought the basketball team for $2 billion, he held over 333 million shares of the stock, according to a regulatory filing.
“I’m not going to probably have 50 more years on the planet,” he said. “But whatever minutes I have, I’m gonna be a large Microsoft shareholder.” He said there’s a bright future for computing, storage and intelligence. Microsoft launched the first Azure services while Ballmer was CEO.
Earlier this week Bloomberg reported that Microsoft, which pledged to spend $80 billion on AI-enabled data center infrastructure in the current fiscal year, has stopped discussions or pushed back the opening of facilities in the U.S. and abroad.
JPMorgan Chase’s chief economist, Bruce Kasman, said in a Thursday note that the chance of a global recession will be 60% if Trump’s tariffs kick in as described. His previous estimate was 40%.
“Fifty years from now, or 25 years from now, what is the one thing you can be guaranteed of, is the world needs more compute,” Nadella said. “So I want to keep those two thoughts and then take one step at a time, and then whatever are the geopolitical or economic shifts, we’ll adjust to it.”
Gates, who along with co-founder Paul Allen, sought to build a software company rather than sell both software and hardware, said he wasn’t sure what the economic effects of the tariffs will be. Today, most of Microsoft’s revenue comes from software. It also sells Surface PCs and Xbox consoles.
“So far, it’s just on goods, but you know, will it eventually be on services? Who knows?” said Gates, who reportedly donated around $50 million to a nonprofit that supported Democratic nominee Kamala Harris’ losing campaign.
AppLovin CEO Adam Foroughi provided more clarity on the ad-tech company’s late-stage effort to acquire TikTok, calling his offer a “much stronger bid than others” on CNBC’s The Exchange Friday afternoon.
Foroughi said the company is proposing a merger between AppLovin and the entire global business of TikTok, characterizing the deal as a “partnership” where the Chinese could participate in the upside while AppLovin would run the app.
“If you pair our algorithm with the TikTok audience, the expansion on that platform for dollars spent will be through the roof,” Foroughi said.
The news comes as President Trump announced he would extend the deadline a second time for TikTok’s Chinese-owned parent company ByteDance to sell the U.S. subsidiary of TikTok to an American buyer or face an effective ban on U.S. app stores. The new deadline is now in June, which, as Foroughi described, “buys more time to put the pieces together” on AppLovin’s bid.
“The president’s a great dealmaker — we’re proposing, essentially an enhancement to the deal that they’ve been working on, but a bigger version of all the deals contemplated,” he added.
AppLovin faces a crowded field of other interested U.S. backers, including Amazon, Oracle, billionaire Frank McCourt and his Project Liberty consortium, and numerous private equity firms. Some proposals reportedly structure the deal to give a U.S. buyer 50% ownership of the company, rather than a complete acquisition. The Chinese government will still need to approve the deal, and AppLovin’s interest in purchasing TikTok in “all markets outside of China” is “preliminary,” according to an April 3 SEC filing.
Correction: A prior version of this story incorrectly characterized China’s ongoing role in TikTok should AppLovin acquire the app.