Connect with us

Published

on

Honda is moving forward with the next stages as it gets ready to build electric vehicles in the US. The automaker is setting the stage for its planned EV Hub in Ohio, with plans to transition the Marysville Auto Plant (MAP), where Honda began US production in 1982, to build EVs.

Alongside its Japanese peers, Honda looks to play catch up in the rapidly expanding electric vehicle market.

Honda announced last October it was investing $700 million to retool three separate Ohio plants to prepare them for producing EVs and the associated components.

In addition, Honda teamed up with LG Energy Solutions (LGES) to invest over $3.5 billion in a new battery factory in Fayette County, Ohio. The goal is to establish an “EV Hub” in the state.

The automaker’s first electric SUV and first dedicated EV coming to the US, the Honda Prologue, is set to hit the market in 2024 as a collaboration with General Motors.

Looking to make up for lost time, Honda revealed its plans to revamp business operations earlier this year in order to ignite momentum in its electric mobility business, including passenger vehicles, motorcycles, and other power products.

Tuesday, Honda revealed the next steps in how it plans to transform Ohio into its EV Hub, starting with the facility where Honda began US production as the automaker looks toward a new future.

Honda-EV-Hub-Ohio
2024 Honda Prologue (Source: Honda)

How Honda is establishing an EV Hub in Ohio

In a press release, Honda said its Marysville Auto Plant (MAP) in Ohio will be the automaker’s first US plant to transition to making EVs in a symbolic move.

EV production is expected to begin at MAP as early as January 2024. Honda will consolidate two production lines that currently produce combustion engines and hybrid vehicle systems into one to make room. MAP employees are set to receive training as part of the transition.

Honda says it will ship Honda Accord production to its Indiana plant to enable the transition to EVs in Ohio.

Moreover, the automaker will transfer two different generations of engine manufacturing from its Anna Engine Plant (AEP) in Ohio to its Alabama Auto Plant.

The transfer will open up room for future IPU case production, which will be combined with battery modules produced from its new $3.5 billion EV battery facility with LGES, where the JV broke ground earlier last month. The battery plant is expected to be completed by the end of 2024 with around 40 GWh annual production capacity.

Honda says it will maintain stable employment as it transitions to building electric vehicles, unlike many legacy (and start-up) automakers, which have been recently hit by a wave of layoffs.

Electrek’s Take

It’s good to see Honda executing its EV strategy to bring EVs to the states. However, as we’ve mentioned several times, Honda’s timeline is still lagging.

Its first EV is due out next year, a codeveloped vehicle with GM. Its second electric vehicle is expected to be built on Honda’s own e:Architecture platform, but it won’t be until 2026.

Honda’s CEO, who took over in 2021, looks to get Honda back in the game, but for that to happen, we need to see zero-emission EVs rolling out sooner rather than later.

FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.

Continue Reading

Environment

Here’s what TSLA analysts are saying about Tesla’s big delivery miss

Published

on

By

Here's what TSLA analysts are saying about Tesla's big delivery miss

Most Wall Street analysts covering Tesla’s stock (TSLA) badly misread the automaker’s delivery volumes this quarter. Some of them have started releasing notes to clients following Tesla’s production and delivery results.

Here’s what they have to say:

According to Tesla-compiled analyst consensus, the automaker was expected to report “377,592 deliveries” in the first quarter.

Tesla confirmed yesterday that it delivered only 336,000 electric vehicles during the first three months of 2025.

Advertisement – scroll for more content

  • Cantor Fitzgerald was the first analyst firm to issue a note after the release. They reaffirmed their overweight rating with a $425 price target. As we previously reported, Cantor has some major conflicts of interest with Tesla and CEO Elon Musk.
  • Truist Securities maintained its hold rating on Tesla’s stock, but it greatly lowered its price target from $373 to $280 a share. They insist that while their earnings expectations have crashed because they overestimated deliveries, investors should focus on Tesla’s self-driving effort, which they see as “much more important for the long-term value of the stock.”
  • Goldman Sachs lowered its price target from $320 to $275 a share. The firm expected 375,000 deliveries from Tesla in Q1 and therefore had to adjust its earnings expectations with almost 40,000 fewer deliveries.
  • Wedbush‘s Dan Ives, one of Tesla’s biggest cheerleaders, called the delivery results “disastrous”, but he reiterated his $550 price target on Tesla’s stock.
  • UBS has reiterated its $225 price target which it had lowered last month after adjusting its delivery expectations in Q1 to 367,000 – one of the more accurate predictions on Wall Street.
  • CFRA‘s analyst Garrett Nelson reduced his price target from $385 to $360 a share.

Electrek’s Take

I find it funny that most of them are maintaining or barely changing their expectations after they were so wrong about Tesla in Q1.

If you were so wrong in Q1, you should expect to be incorrect also for the rest of the year, and readjust accordingly.

But Cantor is invested in Tesla, and the firm is owned by Elon’s friend, who happens to now be the secretary of commerce. Truist still believes Elon’s self-driving lies, Goldman Sachs overestimated Tesla’s deliveries by the equivalent of $2 billion in revenues, and Dan Ives is Dan Ives.

Covering Tesla over the last 15 years has confirmed to me that most Wall Street analysts have no idea what they are doing – or at least not when it comes to companies like Tesla.

Do you know any who have been consistently good lately? I’d love suggestions in the comment section below.

FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.

Continue Reading

Environment

Fintech stocks such as Affirm, PayPal plunge on concern Trump tariffs will hurt consumer spending

Published

on

By

Fintech stocks such as Affirm, PayPal plunge on concern Trump tariffs will hurt consumer spending

The global market rout on Thursday, sparked by President Donald Trump’s announcement of widespread tariffs, had an outsized effect on fintech companies and credit card issuers that are closely tied to consumer spending and credit.

Affirm, which offers buy now, pay later purchasing options, plunged 19%, while stock trading app Robinhood slid 10% and payments company PayPal fell 8%. American Express and Capital One each tumbled 10%, and Discover was down more than 8%.

President Trump on Wednesday laid out the U.S. “reciprocal tariff” rates that more than 180 countries and territories, including European Union members, will face under his sweeping new trade policy. Trump said his plan will set a 10% baseline tariff across the board, but that number is much higher for some countries.

The announcement sent stocks reeling, wiping out nearly $2 trillion in value from the S&P 500, and pushing the tech-heavy Nasdaq down 6%, its worst day since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic in 2020.

The sell-off was especially notable for companies most exposed to consumer spending and global supply chains, including payment providers and lenders. Fintech companies that rely on transaction volume or installment-based lending could see both revenue and credit performance deteriorate.

“When you go down the spectrum, that’s when you have more cyclical risk, more exposure to tariffs,” said Sanjay Sakhrani, an analyst at Keefe, Bruyette & Woods, citing PayPal and Affirm as businesses at risk. He said bigger companies in the space “are more defensive” and better positioned.

Visa, Mastercard and Fiserv held up better on Thursday.

Dan Dolev, an analyst at Mizuho, said bank processors such as Fiserv are less exposed to tariff volatility.

“It’s considered a safe haven,” he said.

Affirm executives have previously said rising prices might increase demand for their products. Chief Financial Officer Rob O’Hare said higher prices could push more consumers toward buy now, pay later services.

“If tariffs result in higher prices for consumers, we’re there to help,” O’Hare said at a Stocktwits fireside chat last month. Affirm CEO Max Levchin has offered similar comments.

However, James Friedman, an analyst at SIG, told CNBC that delinquencies become a concern. He compared Affirm to private-label store cards, and pointed to historical trends in credit performance during downturns, noting that “private label delinquency rates run roughly double” in a recession when compared to traditional credit cards.

“You have to look at who’s overexposed to discretionary,” he said.

Affirm did not provide a comment but pointed to recent remarks from its executives.

Continue Reading

Environment

Mazda’s $20,000 Chinese EV is about to launch overseas and a new SUV is up next

Published

on

By

Mazda's ,000 Chinese EV is about to launch overseas and a new SUV is up next

Wait, Mazda sells a real EV? It’s only in China for now, but that will change very soon. The first Mazda 6e built for overseas markets rolled off the assembly line Thursday. Mazda’s new EV will arrive in Europe, Southeast Asia, and other overseas markets later this year. This could be the start of something with a new SUV due out next.

Mazda’s new EV rolls off assembly for overseas markets

The Mazda EZ-6 has been on sale in China since October with prices starting as low as 139,800 yuan, or slightly under $20,000.

Earlier this year, Mazda introduced the 6e, the global version of its electric car sold in China. The stylish electric sedan is made by Changan Mazda, Mazda’s joint venture in China.

After the first Mazda 6e model rolled off the production line at the company’s Nanjing Plant, Mazda said it’s ready to “conquer the new era of electrification with China Smart Manufacturing.”

Advertisement – scroll for more content

The new global “6e” model will be built at Changan Mazda’s plant and exported to overseas markets including Europe, Thailand, and other parts of Southeast Asia.

Mazda calls it “both a Chinese car and a global car,” with Changan’s advanced EV tech and Mazda’s signature design.

Mazda-first-EV-overseas
Mazda 6e electric sedan during European debut (Source: Changan Mazda)

Built on Changan’s hybrid platform, the EZ-6 is offered in China with both electric (EV) and extended-range (EREV) powertrains. The EV version has a CLTC driving range of up to 600 km (372 miles) and can fast charge (30% to 80%) in about 15 minutes.

Mazda’s new EV will be available with two battery options in Europe: 68.8 kWh or 80 kWh. The larger (80 kWh) battery gets up to 552 km (343 miles) WLTP range, while the 68.8 kWh version is rated with up to 479 km (300 miles) range on the WLTP rating scale.

At 4,921 mm long, 1,890 mm wide, and 1,491 mm tall, the Mazda 6e is about the size of a Tesla Model 3 (4,720 mm long, 1,922 mm wide, and 1,441 mm tall).

Mazda said the successful rollout of the 6e kicks off “the official launch of Changan Mazda’s new energy vehicle export center” for global markets.

The company will launch a new SUV next year and plans to introduce a third and fourth new energy vehicle (NEV).

Although prices will be announced closer to launch, Mazda’s global EV will not arrive with the same $20,000 price tag in Europe as it will face tariffs as an export from China. Mazda is expected to launch the 6e later this year in Europe and Southeast Asia. Check back soon for more info.

FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.

Continue Reading

Trending