Connect with us

Published

on

Wyoming has become the first US state to ban abortion pills.

Those who “prescribe, dispense, distribute, sell or use any drug for the purpose of procuring or performing an abortion” will face up to six months in prison and a fine of up to $9,000 (£7,300).

However, the law adds that women “upon whom a chemical abortion is performed or attempted shall not be criminally prosecuted”.

Wyoming’s Republican Governor Mark Gordon signed the bill into law after it was approved by state legislators earlier this month.

Wyoming Governor Mark Gordon. File pic
Image:
Wyoming Governor Mark Gordon. File pic

It comes in the wake of a US Supreme Court ruling last year that overturned the landmark 1973 Roe v Wade judgment, which granted the constitutional right of American women to have abortions.

Under Wyoming’s new law, “morning-after” pills, prescription contraceptive medication used after sex but before a pregnancy can be confirmed, will be exempted from the ban.

There will also be an exemption for treatment necessary to protect a woman “from an imminent peril that substantially endangers her life or health”, as well as any treatment of a “natural miscarriage according to currently accepted medical guidelines”.

More on Abortion

As well as the ban on abortion pills, Governor Gordon allowed a separate and more sweeping measure restricting abortion to become law without his signature.

He said signing the bill would result in a lawsuit that will “delay any resolution to the constitutionality of the abortion ban in Wyoming”.

Read more:
What’s changed since Roe v Wade decision was overturned?

The state is currently pushing for more sweeping laws banning abortions, with an early abortion ban bill currently at the centre of a court battle.

The previous bill was blocked by the courts after providers claimed that the law violated the Wyoming state constitution’s guarantee of freedom in health care decisions.

Meanwhile, a federal judge in Texas is considering ordering a nationwide ban on the abortion pill mifepristone in response to a lawsuit by anti-abortion groups.

Wyoming American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) advocacy director Antonio Serrano criticised Governor Gordon’s decision to sign the abortion pill law.

“A person’s health, not politics, should guide important medical decisions – including the decision to have an abortion,” Mr Serrano said.

Fifteen states already have limited access to abortion pills, including six that require an in-person physician visit, in the wake of the Roe v Wade judgment.

Since the reversal of the judgment, abortion restrictions have been up to states to set their own legislation, instead of the right to abortion being enshrined as a constitutional right.

Continue Reading

World

Two bodies found in search for missing TV presenter Jesse Baird and his partner

Published

on

By

Two bodies found in search for missing TV presenter Jesse Baird and his partner

Two bodies have been found in the search for a missing Australian TV presenter and his partner, who were allegedly killed by a police officer.

Jesse Baird, 26, and his flight attendant partner Luke Davies, 29, were allegedly shot dead in Mr Baird’s Sydney home last week.

Beau Lamarre-Condon, a police officer who was in a relationship with Mr Baird until late last year, was charged on Friday with the murders of both men.

Police said Lamarre-Condon provided them with information that led them to the bodies, which were found in a rural area around 124 miles southwest of Sydney.

The New South Wales force allege the 28-year-old officer and ex-celebrity blogger killed the couple at Mr Baird’s home in the Paddington area of the city on Monday and hired a white van to dispose of their bodies. Neighbours reportedly heard an argument at the property that morning.

Mr Baird was a presenter with Network 10 until December. Mr Davies was a Qantas flight attendant.

Flowers laid outside Jesse Baird's home in Sydney. Pic: AP
Image:
Flowers laid outside Jesse Baird’s home in Sydney. Pic: AP

The Mardi Gras board said LGBT+ communities across Australia had been devastated by the loss of the couple, who had planned to celebrate at the annual parade on Saturday.

The incident has prompted Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras organisers to ask police not to march on the weekend, a move the police commissioner urges them to reconsider.

The board said police presence could “add to the distress within our communities”, which are “already deeply affected by recent events”.

Karen Webb (second left) waving as she marched in the 2023 Mardi Gras parade in Sydney. Pic: AP
Image:
Karen Webb (second left) waving as she marched in the 2023 Mardi Gras parade in Sydney. Pic: AP

“This decision was not made lightly, especially considering that many… police members who participate in the parade are also members of the LGBTQIA+ community and are navigating the impact of this tragedy alongside us,” the board added.

“However, we believe that their participation at this year’s event could intensify the current feelings of sorrow and distress.”

The alleged killer has been part of the parade in the past, the board said.

Police Commissioner Karen Webb, who has taken part in the annual march since 2006, said she will meet with the organisers in a bid to reverse their decision.

“We’re not dealing with a gay hate crime here,” she said. “We’re dealing with a domestic homicide and… I’m disappointed [by] the position that Mardi Gras board has taken on this issue.”

Read more:
Taylor Swift’s dad accused of punching photographer in face
Producer accuses P Diddy of forcing him to have sex with prostitutes

She added this time “more than any in our society” is “time to come together”.

We’re talking about inclusion, we’re talking about diversity and to exclude part of that community, I think, sends a wrong message,” she added.

Continue Reading

World

Israel-Hamas war: Joe Biden says he hopes Gaza ceasefire can be agreed ‘by end of the weekend’

Published

on

By

Israel-Hamas war: Joe Biden says he hopes Gaza ceasefire can be agreed 'by end of the weekend'

Joe Biden has said he hopes a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas can be secured by the weekend.

The US president made the remarks during an unannounced visit to the Van Leeuwen ice cream parlour, next door to 30 Rock in New York, on Monday.

Flanked by late night TV show host Seth Meyers, Mr Biden was asked by reporters on when a ceasefire in Gaza could start.

In a surprise turn, he said that he hopes it will take place “by the end of the weekend”.

“My national security advisor (Jake Sullivan) tells me that we’re close, we’re close, we’re not done yet,” he said. “My hope is by next Monday we’ll have a ceasefire.”

Mr Biden’s comments come as Israel prepares to start a military operation in Rafah – which he has warned against without a “credible” plan to protect civilians.

Pic: AP
Image:
The US president made the remarks during an unannounced visit to the Van Leeuwen ice cream parlour, New York. Pic: AP

Israel has said it will go ahead with an offensive on the city if hostages are not returned by 10 March, which is when Ramadan starts.

More on Gaza

According to NBC News, Sky news’ US partner network, Qatar is mediating talks between Israel and Hamas this week, and ceasefire negotiations have taken place between US, Israeli, Qatari and Egyptian officials in Paris.

Should it happen, it would be the second ceasefire following one in November which saw several hundred Palestinians released from Israeli jails and about 100 hostages freed by Hamas.

Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu also said earlier on Monday that the Israeli Defence Force proposed a plan for the evacuation of civilians from “fighting areas” to the country’s war cabinet.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.

Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

You can receive Breaking News alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News App. You can also follow @SkyNews on X or subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.

Continue Reading

World

Alexei Navalny was set to be part of prison swap before he died, claims ally

Published

on

By

Alexei Navalny was set to be part of prison swap before he died, claims ally

Alexei Navalny was set to be freed as part of a prisoner swap when he died, one of his allies has claimed.

The Russian opposition leader died at a penal colony within the Artic Circle on 16 February, while serving a 19-year prison sentence on charges his supporters said were politically motivated.

It has now been claimed that the prisoner-swap talks were in their “final stages” when Mr Navalny died.

In a video posted on the late Kremlin critic’s YouTube channel, Maria Pevchikh – who lives outside Russia – said: “Alexei Navalny could have been sitting here now, today. It’s not a figure of speech.”

Ms Pevchikh said she received confirmation about the talks just one day before Mr Navalny’s death was announced.

Ukraine-Russia latest: Kremlin dismisses peace talks as ‘laughable’

She claimed that Putin “wouldn’t tolerate” Navalny being freed and decided to “get rid of the bargaining chip”. She has not offered evidence to back up the allegation.

More on Alexei Navalny

The circumstances of Mr Navalny’s death remain unclear – but several world leaders, including Joe Biden, have directly blamed Vladimir Putin and the Russian government.

Mr Navalny’s widow Yulia Navalnaya has also pointed the finger at the Russian president, claiming her husband could have been poisoned with novichok.

The Kremlin has repeatedly denied any involvement in his death.

Click to subscribe to the Sky News Daily wherever you get your podcasts

Ms Pevchikh said Mr Navalny and two US citizens held in Russia, whom she has not identified, were supposed to be swapped for Vadim Krasikov.

Krasikov is serving a life sentence in Germany for the 2019 killing of Zelimkhan “Tornike” Khangoshvili, a 40-year-old Georgian citizen of Chechen descent.

More from Sky News:
Unseen Navalny interview unearthed
Navalny’s mother ‘given ultimatum’ over his funeral

There are several US citizens in custody in Russia, including Wall Street Journal reporter Evan Gershkovich, who was arrested on espionage charges, and Paul Whelan, a corporate security executive from Michigan, convicted of espionage.

Both men and the US government dispute the charge.

When asked about the swap claim at a regular news conference in Berlin, German government spokesperson Christiane Hoffmann said she could not comment.

Continue Reading

Trending