Connect with us

Published

on

close video Treasury Secretary Yellen questioned over bank failures during Senate hearing

Fox News’ Chad Pergram discusses Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen’s comments during a Senate hearing over the Silicon Valley Banks failures, during which lawmakers expressed concerns.

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said Tuesday the government is prepared to take additional actions to protect smaller banks as the U.S. financial system confronts the worst crisis since 2008. 

In remarks prepared for delivery to the American Bankers Association, Yellen expressed confidence in the nation's banks but suggested that further steps to protect banks may be necessary in the event of a deposit run. 

"The steps we took were not focused on aiding specific banks or classes of banks. Our intervention was necessary to protect the broader U.S. banking system," Yellen said, according to an excerpt of her speech. "And similar actions could be warranted if smaller institutions suffer deposit runs that pose the risk of contagion."

U.S. regulators took extraordinary steps earlier in March to contain the fallout from the collapse of Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank and shore up wavering confidence in the financial system, including protecting all deposits at the two institutions – even those holding funds that exceeded the FDIC's $250,000 insurance limit. 

ONE YEAR INTO ITS INFLATION FIGHT, THE FED FACES A MURKY FUTURE

Janet Yellen, US Treasury secretary, during a House Ways and Means Committee hearing in Washington, DC, US, on Friday, March 10, 2023. (Al Drago/Bloomberg via Getty Images / Getty Images)

The Federal Reserve also launched a new emergency backstop for lenders to help them meet deposit withdrawals under favorable terms.

The moves were intended to staunch a flow of funds from small and regional U.S. lenders as customers rushed to banks deemed too big to fail.

Although Treasury said that deposits are small and mid-sized banks have begun to stabilize, U.S. officials are reportedly studying whether they can temporarily expand federal deposit insurance to cover all deposits, according to Bloomberg News. A group of mid-sized banks has argued that is necessary to prevent bank runs for the next two years.

The former Fed chief did not address the matter in her speech.

Employees walk in front of a sign outside of the shuttered Silicon Valley Bank (SVB) headquarters on March 10, 2023 in Santa Clara, California. (Justin Sullivan/Getty Images / Getty Images)

"The situation is stabilizing. And the U.S. banking system remains sound," Yellen said. "The Fed facility and discount window lending are working as intended to provide liquidity to the banking system. Aggregate deposit outflows from regional banks have stabilized."

Yellen's comments come amid fresh turmoil in the banking sector and heightened fears over a broader financial crisis. 

All eyes are currently on San Francisco-based First Republic Bank, which boasts about $213 billion in assets and a roster of wealthy clients. The mid-sized lender received a $30 billion cash infusion from 11 of the nation's biggest banks last week, but liquidity fears remain and there are new efforts underway to stabilize the bank, according to The Wall Street Journal.

MORTGAGE RATES POST BIG DECLINE AMID SVB FALLOUT

JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon is leading discussions with the top executives of other big banks about how to boost First Republic's capital. Among the options on the table are an investment in First Republic by the banks themselves; a sale; or an outside liquidity injection, the Journal reported.

A First Republic Bank branch in New York, US, on Friday, March 10, 2023. (Photographer: Jeenah Moon/Bloomberg via Getty Images / Getty Images)

The concerns at First Republic and other mid-sized regional banks began after the historic failure of Silicon Valley Bank – the 16th largest lender in the country – earlier this month following a liquidity crunch. It marked the largest U.S. bank failure since the global financial crisis in 2008.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE ON FOX BUSINESS

SVB, which largely catered to tech companies, venture capital firms and high-net-worth individuals, saw a huge boom in deposits during the pandemic, with its assets surging from $56 billion in June 2018 to $212 billion in March 2023. The bank responded by investing a large chunk of that cash into long-term U.S. Treasury bonds and other mortgage-backed securities. However, that strategy backfired when the Fed embarked on the most aggressive interest-rate hike campaign since the 1980s, and the value of those securities tumbled.

That coincided with a decline in available funding for startups, which started drawing down more of their money to cover their expenses, forcing the lender to sell part of its bond holds at a steep $1.8 billion loss. When depositors realized that SVB was in a precarious financial situation, a bank run ensued.

Continue Reading

Sports

Oilers keep pace for home ice, but lose Draisaitl

Published

on

By

Oilers keep pace for home ice, but lose Draisaitl

SAN JOSE, Calif. — NHL leading goal scorer Leon Draisaitl left the Edmonton Oilers‘ game against the San Jose Sharks on Thursday night in the second period because of an undisclosed injury and didn’t return.

Draisaitl appeared to be injured midway through the second period and skated gingerly to the bench before leaving for the dressing room. Coach Kris Knoblauch said after the game that he had no update on the severity of the injury.

Jeff Skinner scored the tiebreaking goal shortly after Draisaitl left the game, giving the Oilers a 3-2 victory that kept them within two points of the Los Angeles Kings in the race for second place in the Pacific Division and home-ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs.

“Obviously we’ve had some injuries to key guys,” Skinner said. “It’s a lot of opportunity for other guys to step up and I think guys have done a good job so far. We’re going to have to continue that and keep working together to get the results we want.”

Draisaitl had an assist earlier in the second period. He leads the NHL with 52 goals and is third in the league with 106 points.

Draisaitl sat out four games last month because of an undisclosed injury.

The Oilers are already without star center Connor McDavid, who has been sidelined since colliding with Winnipeg’s Josh Morrissey on March 20. McDavid has resumed skating with the team in a noncontact jersey but there is no timetable for his return.

The playoffs begin in just over two weeks.

“You never want to miss those guys,” Knoblauch said. “You never want your top players not to play because every time they’re not in, it decreases your chances of winning because they are good players, obviously. But what happens is other guys have some opportunities to play, get some confidence, hopefully score some goals, because we’re going to need them.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Makar 9th NHL blueliner with 30 goals in season

Published

on

By

Makar 9th NHL blueliner with 30 goals in season

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Avalanche star Cale Makar scored against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Thursday night to become the ninth defenseman in the NHL, and the first with Colorado, to score 30 goals in a season.

The sixth-year player is the NHL’s first defenseman to reach the 30-goal mark since Mike Green of the Washington Capitals had 31 in 2008-09.

Makar put the Avalanche up 5-2 by scoring a power-play goal with 38 seconds left in the second period. He was set up in the left circle for a one-timer by a pass from Nathan MacKinnon. He also had two assists as the Avalanche won, 7-3, to clinch their eighth consecutive playoff appearance.

Overall, NHL blue liners have now combined to reach 30 goals 18 times, led by Bobby Orr, who had five 30-goal seasons. Paul Coffey (four) and Denis Potvin (three) are the only others to have had multiple 30-goal seasons. The list is rounded out by Ray Bourque, Kevin Hatcher, Phil Housley and Doug Wilson.

With the goal and two assists, the 26-year-old Makar also increased his point total to 90, matching the franchise record for defenseman he set last season. In doing so, he became the NHL’s fifth defenseman to produce consecutive 90-point seasons, and first since Coffey (1988-89 to 1990-91) and Al MacInnis (1989-90 to 1990-91).

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Continue Reading

Sports

Blues’ Holloway exits with lower-body injury

Published

on

By

Blues' Holloway exits with lower-body injury

ST. LOUIS — St. Louis forward Dylan Holloway left the Blues’ 5-4 overtime victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins in the first period Thursday night because of a lower-body injury.

Blues coach Jim Montgomery had no additional information on the injury after the game.

“We’ll have more, I’m sure, tomorrow,” Montgomery said.

The team announced the injury during the first intermission and said he would not return to the game. It was not clear when Holloway was injured.

Holloway had eight shifts in the first period.

Holloway has been a driving force in the Blues’ 11-game winning streak, which ties a franchise record. He has 26 goals and 37 assists in 77 games this season.

“Obviously, that’s an elite player for us, someone who plays in all situations, and, you know, a really important piece to our team,” forward Jake Neighbours said. “We had to focus on the task at hand. … it sucked losing Dylan, and just hope he’s OK.”

Continue Reading

Trending