The former head of the Royal Marines died by suicide after experiencing “substantial stress”, an inquest has concluded.
Major General Matthew Holmes was found dead in Winchester, Hampshire, on 2 October 2021.
The inquest heard that in the months before his death, Major General Holmes had lost his position as leader of the Royal Marines as part of a restructuring, faced the collapse of his marriage, and had been left “angry” at the UK’s withdrawal from Afghanistan.
He served in Afghanistan, Iraq, Kosovo and Northern Ireland, and was a pallbearer at Prince Philip’s funeral in 2021.
Giving evidence, his widow Lea said he was told to agree to the restructuring in which he would lose his role, or resign.
She said her husband “was told he had to sign or agree to resign”, adding he found the experience “hugely humiliating”.
She explained the family had taken a holiday in August 2021, coinciding with the British and American withdrawal from Afghanistan.
“This holiday was worse than any other family holiday, and there was the Afghanistan withdrawal – he was very preoccupied with that,” she told the inquest.
“He was getting messages from really distressed people and trying to do something about that.
Advertisement
“We decided to leave the holiday slightly early. On the last morning Matt said to me, ‘that’s it, we’re done’.”
On their return, she said her husband became reluctant to discuss their separation.
Shotgun incident
The inquest heard that weeks before he died, Hampshire police took away a shotgun from his home, which, according to Major General Holmes’ sister, prompted his family to discuss his mental health.
Image: Holmes after receiving his Distinguished Service Order for services in Afghanistan in 2007
“He said he did not think it was necessary that the gun was removed as he wasn’t a threat to anyone else,” Sarah Adkins said.
“He deeply loved his children,” she added.
“He said the main thing that was on the front burner of his mind was the way in which his career had been brought to conclusion.”
She said her brother was “awash with stress” in the final months of his life.
‘He felt he had personally failed them’
Jonathan Ball, chief executive of the Royal Marines Association, told the inquest he spoke to Major General Holmes in the weeks before his death.
He said the former Royal Marines chief had feared for the “close personal friends” in the Afghan army who had been left behind following the withdrawal.
“He felt that somehow he had personally failed them by failing to help get them out,” said Mr Ball.
Coroner Jason Pegg concluded that Major General Holmes died by suicide, adding: “Matthew Holmes was suffering from substantial stress which contributed to his death.”
Major General Holmes commanded 42 Commando Royal Marines from 2006 to 2008 and was appointed as a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order for his leadership on operations in Afghanistan in 2007.
From 2019 to 2021 he was Commandant General Royal Marines and he was made a CBE in 2019.
Anyone feeling emotionally distressed or suicidal can call Samaritans for help on 116 123 or email jo@samaritans.org in the UK. In the US, call the Samaritans branch in your area or 1 (800) 273-TALK
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.
The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.
JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.
In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.
“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”
The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.
More on Donald Trump
Related Topics:
JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.
“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.
Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.
All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.
Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.
For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.
Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.
Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.
In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.
Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.
They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.
The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.
Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.
“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.
A 15-year-old boy has died after “getting into difficulty” in a lake in southeast London, police say.
Officers and paramedics were called shortly after 3pm on Friday to Beckenham Place Park in Lewisham.
The Metropolitan Police said a boy “was recovered from the lake” at around 10.42pm the same day.
“He was taken to hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead. His death is being treated as unexpected but not believed to be suspicious,” according to the force.
The boy’s family has been told and are being supported by specialist officers.
The force originally said the child was 16 years old, but has since confirmed his age as 15.
In the earlier statement, officers said emergency services carried out a search and the park was evacuated.
More from UK
Image: Emergency teams were called to Beckenham Place Park on Friday afternoon
Beckenham Place Park, which borders the London borough of Bromley, covers around 240 acres, according to the park’s website.
The lake is described as 285 metres long, reaching depths of up to 3.5 metres.
It is designed as a swimming lake for open-water swimming and paddle boarding.
A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said on Friday: “We were called at 3.02pm this afternoon to reports of a person in the water.
“We sent resources to the scene, including an ambulance crew, an incident response officer and members of our hazardous area response team.”
Emergency teams have not explained how the boy entered the water, or whether he was accompanied by others.