TWO OF THE most hectic months of Brian Kelly’s coaching career were this past November and December.
On Dec. 3, LSU played in the SEC championship game. Two days later, the transfer portal opened. He had to prepare for the Tigers’ bowl game, create a strategy for the portal — between his own players entering and players he coveted — and finish off the 2023 recruiting cycle all at once.
“The real key here was, how can we build in during the month of December an opportunity to try to do all three of those things without them overlapping?” Kelly told ESPN.
The transfer portal, a database that allows coaches to contact student-athletes who wish to transfer, has become a staple of the college football landscape since it launched in fall 2018.
In the 2018-19 cycle, there were 2,405 NCAA football players that entered the portal, according to ESPN Stats & Information. That number skyrocketed to 5,592 players last year and to 6,202 from August 2022 through January 2023. This past December alone, 2,729 people entered the portal.
The NCAA enacted transfer portal windows for the 2022-23 academic year to try to regulate when players were allowed to enter the portal: a 45-day window from Dec. 5 to Jan. 18 and a second 15-day window that runs from April 15 to 30.
But while the windows were intended to add structure, many coaches and personnel directors from various conferences said dealing with the continuous balancing act of the portal, recruiting classes and bowl preparations, all during the holiday season, made for too much at once.
“December makes for an interesting time,” Florida State personnel director Derek Yray said, “and I don’t necessarily know what the answer is to it.”
With the spring portal window opening Saturday, coaches spoke to ESPN about how difficult navigating the first window was, the concerns they have about the calendar and what should change going forward.
PRIOR TO THE transfer windows, student-athletes could enter their name in the portal whenever they wanted. That led to players transferring right before or during the season, and without any safeguards from knowing when a player could transfer, it became increasingly harder for coaches to manage their own rosters.
Enter the transfer windows, which brought a mix of definition and chaos to the process.
Retaining a team’s own roster has been a major piece to the puzzle that has coaches and personnel directors concerned. Penn State personnel director Andy Frank said the windows indirectly encouraged people to watch opposing rosters closely during the season to evaluate which players could help their own future rosters.
He also said the windows shut down the entire recruiting and scouting departments while they also tried to balance the early signing period (Dec. 21-23) for high school recruits. Rather than having only prospects on campus to visit, the staff was also hosting transfer visitors, scouring the portal to find players to help fill needs.
“We were in favor of there not being windows and I’d say coming out of it, I’d still be at that place,” Frank said. “I don’t know if I’m a fan of the windows, because one of the goals was to condense the process down into a smaller window of time. I actually think that causes more problems than it solves.”
Adding the transfer portal windows to the month of December, when recruiting, bowl season and the coaching carousel all come to a head, has made it more hectic than ever.
“You can end up in situations like we did,” said TCU coach Sonny Dykes, who coached the Horned Frogs to their first College Football Playoff berth. “We had five official visits the week of the national championship game and you’re trying to get ready for that game. At the same time, you’re hosting transfers and it’s just a very chaotic time for everybody.”
Yray said he was with Florida State coach Mike Norvell on the road during the month of December. “I think we hit about 13 states in eight days,” he said. Despite that, he liked having the window’s structure and thinks they served their purpose.
“December, you’re going to have to sacrifice somewhere no matter how much work you put into it,” Yray said. “So, I do like the windows that they’re defined, but I also think there’s a better way. I just don’t know what that necessarily is to make it work in December.”
SEC FOOTBALL COACHES met in mid-February to discuss a variety of topics from the year and tried to come up with mock solutions with the transfer portal, one of the highly contested subjects, Kelly said.
They came up with a hypothetical proposal that they felt made the most people happy: Teams would focus on their high school recruiting classes first and then move onto transfers. Kelly said some coaches don’t want transfer portal decisions to impact the incoming freshman class, so if they know which recruits they have coming in, they can use the transfer market to fill holes.
“We don’t want to move the signing date back any further because then you have visits and coaches working in July, so that was a nonstarter,” Kelly said. “We would stay with a December date, then maybe a couple of days later, that’s the transfer portal [window], and you get to work on that. So you put one behind you, then you get the next one in front of you and now you can manage those two things.”
One issue with that, Yray noted, was that while teams would know which incoming freshmen would sign, they wouldn’t know which players would be transferring out of their programs.
“I think you still have to know who’s leaving your roster before you sign those high school guys, or any of the transfer portal guys,” Yray said. “If you move the date of the transfer portal back, for us, we start class usually the first week of January. So, our ability to get them into school on time, so they can start on time and start workouts, that’s important for where the date currently is.”
Dykes added that the NCAA rules put in place were initially geared toward making graduation more accommodatable for athletes, especially when it comes to transferring over academic credits — “It’s not like we wave a magic wand and all the sudden a kid is in school,” Frank said — and enrolling in classes at their new schools.
“All of the sudden it switched, overnight really, and you don’t hear anybody talking about graduation anymore,” Dykes said. “So, I do think that we’ve got to study these things and make sure that we’re doing the best thing for the student-athletes, because in some cases we feel like we are, but we’re not if these guys aren’t graduating.”
Another option could be changing the recruiting calendar if the NCAA leaves the portal windows the same. After all, the early signing period has been around only since 2017. Yray and Frank both mentioned the idea of implementing a rolling signing period, which would start at a certain point in high school but would allow a prospect to sign whenever they had a committable offer.
“The problem with the later you go with that is, whenever the first date is that you can sign, that is going to become the signing day,” Frank said. “We saw it with the early signing period, right? We call it the early signing period, but that’s the signing period now because it’s the earliest they can do it.”
A 12-team playoff is coming in 2024, and while its format is set, what the schedule will look like is unclear. The broader college football landscape is ever changing, and the calendar is just one thing that is impacted.
Some coaches believe the NCAA is headed for a collision course with antiquated rules and a changing atmosphere. Some believe the way to avoid disaster is to blow it all up and rework the rules altogether.
“We need to start over and say, ‘Hey, these are the pillars,’ and we have to look at it very holistically,” Frank said. “I think the thing that’s holding up wholesale changes, which I think eventually will happen, is I think we’re heading towards collective bargaining in some form or fashion. What it looks like, I don’t know, but I think we’re heading towards it, and once we figure that piece out, you rework the whole calendar and start over.”
The opening weekend of the 2025 MLB season was taken over by a surprise star — torpedo bats.
The bowling pin-shaped bats became the talk of the sport after the Yankees’ home run onslaught on the first Saturday of the season put it in the spotlight and the buzz hasn’t slowed since.
What exactly is a torpedo bat? How does it help hitters? And how is it legal? Let’s dig in.
What is a torpedo bat and why is it different from a traditional MLB bat?
The idea of the torpedo bat is to take a size format — say, 34 inches and 32 ounces — and distribute the wood in a different geometric shape than the traditional form to ensure the fattest part of the bat is located where the player makes the most contact. Standard bats taper toward an end cap that is as thick diametrically as the sweet spot of the barrel. The torpedo bat moves some of the mass on the end of the bat about 6 to 7 inches lower, giving it a bowling-pin shape, with a much thinner end.
How does it help hitters?
The benefits for those who like swinging with it — and not everyone who has swung it likes it — are two-fold. Both are rooted in logic and physics. The first is that distributing more mass to the area of most frequent contact aligns with players’ swing patterns and provides greater impact when bat strikes ball. Players are perpetually seeking ways to barrel more balls, and while swings that connect on the end of the bat and toward the handle probably will have worse performance than with a traditional bat, that’s a tradeoff they’re willing to make for the additional slug. And as hitters know, slug is what pays.
The second benefit, in theory, is increased bat speed. Imagine a sledgehammer and a broomstick that both weigh 32 ounces. The sledgehammer’s weight is almost all at the end, whereas the broomstick’s is distributed evenly. Which is easier to swing fast? The broomstick, of course, because shape of the sledgehammer takes more strength and effort to move. By shedding some of the weight off the end of the torpedo bat and moving it toward the middle, hitters have found it swings very similarly to a traditional model but with slightly faster bat velocity.
Why did it become such a big story so early in the 2025 MLB season?
Because the New York Yankees hit nine home runs in a game Saturday and Michael Kay, their play-by-play announcer, pointed out that some of them came from hitters using a new bat shape. The fascination was immediate. While baseball, as an industry, has implemented forward-thinking rules in recent seasons, the modification to something so fundamental and known as the shape of a bat registered as bizarre. The initial response from many who saw it: How is this legal?
OK. How is this legal?
Major League Baseball’s bat regulations are relatively permissive. Currently, the rules allow for a maximum barrel diameter of 2.61 inches, a maximum length of 42 inches and a smooth and round shape. The lack of restrictions allows MLB’s authorized bat manufacturers to toy with bat geometry and for the results to still fall within the regulations.
Who came up with the idea of using them?
The notion of a bowling-pin-style bat has kicked around baseball for years. Some bat manufacturers made smaller versions as training tools. But the version that’s now infiltrating baseball goes back two years when a then-Yankees coach named Aaron Leanhardt started asking hitters how they should counteract the giant leaps in recent years made by pitchers.
When Yankees players responded that bigger barrels would help, Leanhardt — an MIT-educated former Michigan physics professor who left academia to work in the sports industry — recognized that as long as bats stayed within MLB parameters, he could change their geometry to make them a reality. Leanhardt, who left the Yankees to serve as major league field coordinator for the Miami Marlins over the winter, worked with bat manufacturers throughout the 2023 and 2024 seasons to make that a reality.
When did it first appear in MLB games?
It’s unclear specifically when. But Yankees slugger Giancarlo Stanton used a torpedo bat last year and went on a home run-hitting rampage in October that helped send the Yankees to the World Series. New York Mets star Francisco Lindor also used a torpedo-style bat last year and went on to finish second in National League MVP voting.
Who are some of the other notable early users of torpedo bats?
Corking bats involves drilling a hole at the end of the bat, filling it in and capping it. The use of altered bats allows players to swing faster because the material with which they replace the wood — whether it’s cork, superballs or another material — is lighter. Any sort of bat adulteration is illegal and, if found, results in suspension.
Could a rule be changed to ban them?
Could it happen? Sure. Leagues and governing bodies have put restrictions on equipment they believe fundamentally altered fairness. Stick curvature is limited in hockey. Full-body swimsuits made of polyurethane and neoprene are banned by World Aquatics. But officials at MLB have acknowledged that the game’s pendulum has swung significantly toward pitching in recent years, and if an offensive revolution comes about because of torpedo bats — and that is far from a guarantee — it could bring about more balance to the game. If that pendulum swings too far, MLB could alter its bat regulations, something it has done multiple times already this century.
So the torpedo bat is here to stay?
Absolutely. Bat manufacturers are cranking them out and shipping them to interested players with great urgency. Just how widely the torpedo bat is adopted is the question that will play out over the rest of the season. But it has piqued the curiosity of nearly every hitter in the big leagues, and just as pitchers toy with new pitches to see if they can marginally improve themselves, hitters will do the same with bats.
Comfort is paramount with a bat, so hitters will test them during batting practice and in cage sessions before unleashing them during the game. As time goes on, players will find specific shapes that are most comfortable to them and best suit their swing during bat-fitting sessions — similar to how golfers seek custom clubs. But make no mistake: This is an almost-overnight alteration of the game, and “traditional or torpedo” is a question every big leaguer going forward will ask himself.
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — The once and possibly future home of the Tampa Bay Rays will get a new roof to replace the one shredded by Hurricane Milton with the goal of having the ballpark ready for the 2026 season, city officials decided in a vote Thursday.
The St. Petersburg City Council voted 7-1 to approve $22.5 million to begin the repairs at Tropicana Field, which will start with a membrane roof that must be in place before other work can continue. Although the Rays pulled out of a planned $1.3 billion new stadium deal, the city is still contractually obligated to fix the Trop.
“We are legally bound by an agreement. The agreement requires us to fix the stadium,” said council member Lissett Hanewicz, who is an attorney. “We need to go forward with the roof repair so we can do the other repairs.”
The hurricane damage forced the Rays to play home games this season at Steinbrenner Field across the bay in Tampa, the spring training home of the New York Yankees. The Rays went 4-2 on their first homestand ever at an open-air ballpark, which seats around 11,000 fans.
Under the current agreement with the city, the Rays owe three more seasons at the Trop once it’s ready again for baseball, through 2028. It’s unclear if the Rays will maintain a long-term commitment to the city or look to Tampa or someplace else for a new stadium. Major League Baseball has said keeping the team in the Tampa Bay region is a priority. The Rays have played at the Trop since their inception in 1998.
The team said it would have a statement on the vote later Thursday.
The overall cost of Tropicana Field repairs is estimated at $56 million, said city architect Raul Quintana. After the roof, the work includes fixing the playing surface, ensuring audio and visual electronics are working, installing flooring and drywall, getting concession stands running and other issues.
“This is a very complex project. We feel like we’re in a good place,” Quintana said at the council meeting Thursday.
Under the proposed timeline, the roof installation will take about 10 months. The unique membrane system is fabricated in Germany and assembled in China, Quintana said, adding that officials are examining how President Donald Trump’s new tariffs might affect the cost.
The new roof, he added, will be able to withstand hurricane winds as high as 165 mph. Hurricane Milton, one of the strongest hurricanes ever in the Atlantic basin at one point, blasted ashore Oct. 9 south of Tampa Bay with Category 3 winds of about 125 mph.
Citing mounting costs, the Rays last month pulled out of a deal with the city and Pinellas County for a new $1.3 billion ballpark to be built near the Trop site. That was part of a broader $6.5 billion project known as the Historic Gas Plant district to bring housing, retail and restaurants, arts and a Black history museum to a once-thriving Black neighborhood razed for the original stadium.
The city council plans to vote on additional Trop repair costs over the next few months.
“This is our contractual obligation. I don’t like it more than anybody else. I’d much rather be spending that money on hurricane recovery and helping residents in the most affected neighborhoods,” council member Brandi Gabbard said. “These are the cards that we’re dealt.”
College football reporter; joined ESPN in 2008. Graduate of Northwestern University.
Tulane quarterback TJ Finley has been suspended following his arrest Wednesday in New Orleans on a charge of illegal possession of stolen things worth more than $25,000.
Finley, 23, whose name is Tyler Jamal, was booked and released. Tulane said in a statement that the length of the suspension will depend on the outcome of his case. The school cited privacy laws in declining to comment further.
University police responded Wednesday to an address where a truck was blocking a driveway. After looking up the license plate, police saw it registered to a vehicle stolen in Atlanta. Finley arrived to move the car and informed the officer that he had bought the truck recently. He’s scheduled to appear in court June 1.
Finley transferred to Tulane in December after spending the 2024 season with Western Kentucky. He had been competing for the team’s starting quarterback job in spring practice alongside fellow transfers Kadin Semonza and Donovan Leary.
Finley, a native of Ponchatoula, Louisiana, started his college career at LSU before transferring to Auburn for two seasons and then Texas State in 2023. He started five games for both LSU and Auburn but had his most success with Texas State, passing for 3,439 yards and 24 touchdowns.