Connect with us

Published

on

A national guardsman accused of leaking highly classified military documents is due to appear in court later today.

Jack Teixeira is set to be charged with removing or transmitting classified national defence information, which is a crime under the National Espionage Act.

The 21-year-old’s arrest raises fresh questions about America’s ability to safeguard its most sensitive secrets, and the Pentagon has vowed to tighten security measures.

Ukraine war latest: Suspected Pentagon leaker is named; jailed Putin critic ‘has mystery illness’

Jack Teixeira
Image:
Jack Teixeira

It described the leak as a “very serious risk to national security” – but officials are coming under pressure to explain why such a young, low-ranking service member had access to these files.

The material was shared on a chat group called Thug Shaker Central, which was based on Discord.

It had about 25 members who also discussed their favourite types of guns and shared memes – some of them racist.

While Teixeira’s motive is unclear, other members of that chat group have claimed he was driven by bravado more than ideology.

Teixeira had served as an IT specialist responsible for protecting military communication networks – and according to one defence official, this meant he would have had a higher level of security clearance.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Inside the Pentagon leaks

The classified documents included briefing slides mapping out Ukrainian vulnerabilities and military positions, as well as information on the circumstances where Vladimir Putin might use nuclear weapons.

Information about allies including Israel, South Korea and Turkey was also included, in what is believed to be the most serious security breach since 700,000 documents, videos and diplomatic cables appeared on WikiLeaks back in 2010.

Several countries had questioned whether some of the leaked documents were authentic, with British officials claiming there was a “serious level of inaccuracy” in the information. However, US officials do believe most of the materials are genuine.

Mike Turner, the Republican chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, has pledged to “examine why this happened, why it went unnoticed for weeks, and how to prevent future leaks”.

Read more:
What do the highly classified documents say?

How did someone so young have access to such sensitive files?

It appears that the American authorities have been on the backfoot at every turn with this case.

They now claim to have their leaker. He will go through the judicial process.

They will be relieved, at least, that he appears not to be a foreign agent.

But they have many questions to answer: how did a 21-year old Air National Guardsman have access to these documents?

Was he entitled to the access? Are there more classified documents out there? Why did it take so long, with media help, to find him?

Read Mark’s full analysis here.

The Pentagon – which called the leak “a deliberate, criminal act” – says the military is also reviewing distribution lists and ensuring people who receive classified information have a need to know.

While the documents were posted online last month – perhaps earlier – they only broke into wider circulation last week.

The New York Times had first reported Teixeira’s identity, and federal officials later confirmed he was a subject of interest in the investigation.

News crews in helicopters later filmed his arrest in Massachusetts, and the young guardsman was wearing a T-shirt and shorts as heavily armed tactical agents took him into custody.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Biden ‘not concerned’ about leaks

In a statement, the FBI said: “Since late last week the FBI has aggressively pursued investigative leads – and Thursday’s arrest exemplifies our continued commitment to identifying, pursuing and holding accountable those who betray our country’s trust and put our national security at risk.”

Teixeira may also face charges in military court – and one former prosecutor has suggested he could face up to 10 years’ imprisonment if convicted.

Brandon Van Grack explained: “I think this is someone who is facing on the higher end of exposure for years in prison … because the leaks were so damaging.”

President Joe Biden, speaking on his three-day tour of Ireland, told reporters: “I’m concerned that it happened, but there is nothing contemporaneous that I’m aware of.”

Continue Reading

US

Trump hopes to escape Epstein controversy, but story risks following him to Scotland

Published

on

By

Trump hopes to escape Epstein controversy, but story risks following him to Scotland

I knew Donald Trump when he was nothing.

Nothing like he is today, to be precise.

It was the 18 April 2006, and he had landed by helicopter at St Andrew’s, on his way to survey a stretch of Aberdeenshire coastline he was going to turn into a golf course.

He duly delivered and “Trump International” is a stunning addition to Scotland’s golfing real estate, alongside his other course at Turnberry.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

What do Scots think of Trump visit?

Back in 2006, Trump was big time and big news.

He was the brand built on property and showbiz and, upon arrival, the star of TV’s The Apprentice breezed his way through our interview, obliging us by pointing down the barrel of the camera and delivering his trademark “you’re fired”.

We talked investment, Scottish roots and some local objections to the golf course.

More on Trump

I said it was all a bit like the film Local Hero, which likened him to the rich guy played by Burt Lancaster and he seemed happy enough.

Innocent times.

US business tycoon Donald Trump saying "You're fired" at the Old Course in St Andrews, Scotland in 2006
Image:
In 2006, the host of The Apprentice delivering his trademark ‘you’re fired’ finger point while visiting Aberdeenshire. File pic: PA

Donald Trump visits the site of a proposed golf course on the Menie Estate near Aberdeen in 2010
Image:
Donald Trump promoting his plans for a golf course on the Menie Estate near Aberdeen in 2010

Fast forward 20 years to President Trump and we are braced for his latest return ‘home’. For this son of Scotland (his mother is from the Isle of Lewis), it’s a homecoming from hell. Hellish on security logistics, at least.

You might think a trip to the old country would carry an element of triumph, wrapped in a nation’s pride. He’s the prodigal who made president, after all – think Biden, Ireland, and the rock star welcome rolled out there for one of their own.

Not so for President Trump. The dynamic’s different with the Donald – the heartland he’ll visit isn’t loved up, it’s locked down. Same as it ever was, whenever he lands in Scotland.

File photo dated 03/05/23 of US President elect Donald Trump playing golf at his Trump Turnberry course in South Ayrshire during his visit t
Image:
The US president at his Turnberry course in 2023 amid tight security. PA file pic

Former US president Donald Trump playing golf at Turnberry golf course during his visit to the UK. Picture date: Tuesday May 2, 2023.
Image:
File pic: PA

Hundreds of extra police officers have been drafted from around the country to hermetically seal his golf courses in Turnberry and Aberdeenshire. A private trip in two very public settings demands a huge security operation, complicated by an army of protestors mobilising for what they’re calling a “carnival of resistance”.

Demonstrations are planned over a range of causes – organisers cite “threats” to democracy, climate, the global economy and more.

Trump protestors on the beach near to the Trump Turnberry resort in South Ayrshire, where US President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump are spending the weekend.
Image:
Protestors in 2023 gather at Trump’s Turnberry resort during his visit. File pic: PA

Protesters arrive on a beach near Turnberry golf club in 2018
Image:
Demonstrations, like this one in 2018, near Turnberry require policing. File pic: AP

Simon Brodkin (aka Lee Nelson) is removed from a press conference by Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump at Turnberry Golf course
Image:
Comic Simon Brodkin, appearing in character as Lee Nelson, is led away by security during an anti-Trump protest at Turnberry in 2016. File pic: Reuters

There is no cause untouched by a president of the US and none forgotten by this weekend’s protests.

Scotland leans left of Donald Trump, and critics will lean into an effort to let him know.

It’s an awkward setting for a charm offensive by Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer and Scotland’s First Minister John Swinney.

As the biggest show in politics rolls into town, they will polish the script on trade negotiations, wary of a president distracted, unpredictable and prone to changing the plot.

His distraction, of course, is the political drama back home.

Read more from Sky News:
Epstein questions remain for Trump
Trump knew he appears in Epstein files

Follow The World
Follow The World

Listen to The World with Richard Engel and Yalda Hakim every Wednesday

Tap to follow

Trump will welcome a weekend under the radar as an opportunity to escape the Jeffrey Epstein controversy, but there’s every chance the story will travel with him.

Daily efforts to steer the media away from the scandal haven’t stemmed the flow of persistent enquiry and revelations that cement Trump’s relationship with Epstein in the public consciousness, and so further raise questions of cover-up.

Continue Reading

US

Snipers, Secret Service sweeps and a personal chef on standby: Scotland awaits Trump’s arrival

Published

on

By

Snipers, Secret Service sweeps and a personal chef on standby: Scotland awaits Trump's arrival

Donald Trump likes a wall. And now he has his very own 15ft-high metal barrier creating a fortress as he tees off for a weekend of politics, play and precision in Scotland.

An almost surreal contrast now exists in the tiny Ayrshire village of Turnberry.

On one side, the stunning coastline and luxury hotel that bears the president’s name. And on the other, an armed buffer zone with sniper teams and road checkpoints.

This visit is unlike those that have gone before.

The threat level and associated security on display is unprecedented following the attempted assassination of Trump at a campaign rally in the US.

“It would be inappropriate for me to plan an operation and not bear in mind what has happened,” the senior officer in charge of this weekend’s policing efforts told me.

Green military-type truck
Image:
Military trucks are part of a security effort that comes just a year after an attempted assassination

Fence
Black security van
Image:
A ‘counter terror’ firm was spotted near the area, which is ringed by a 15ft fence

Turnberry, and its population of about 200 people, have this week witnessed a never-ending stream of Army trucks, terrorist sweeps, road checkpoints, airspace restrictions, sniper positions being erected and Secret Service agents roaming around.

More on Donald Trump

It is the most extensive security deployment in Scotland since the death of the late Queen in 2022.

It is estimated around 5,000 officers will be on the streets, with teams coming from across the UK to assist.

The spectacle primarily centres on Donald Trump coming to play golf before the arrival of Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer for talks, likely on Monday.

The president, whose mother was born on the Scottish island of Lewis, is then scheduled to travel to his Aberdeenshire resort where a new golf course is set to open.

Police on buggies patrol as golfers play, near the Trump Turnberry golf course
Image:
Police on buggies are patrolling near the course on Scotland’s east coast

Police lorry
Police security tape is placed across a clothes recycling bin near the Trump Turnberry golf course.
Image:
Police have even taped off a clothes recycling bin near the course

‘Trump is a decent boss’

Stephanie Campbell and Leanne Maxwell live in Turnberry and used to work at the Trump-owned resort, like many other locals.

The pair told Sky News the very first lesson staff at the resort are given is not in fine service or guest etiquette, but in how to respond to a bomb threat.

It is claimed there are posters above the landline phones in the hotel with instructions on the worst-case scenario.

Stephanie Campbell and Leanne Maxwell work at the Trump course
Image:
Stephanie Campbell and Leanne Maxwell say staff are trained in dealing with bomb threats

Stephanie told Sky News: “I had no issues working for him, he is a really decent boss.

“The last time he came there was an element of excitement, I think this time there comes with an added element of concern.

“It brings a lot higher threats and security and it’s much more difficult for everybody in the area.”

Donald Trump waves to protesters while playing golf at Turnberry golf club, in  2018
Image:
Mr Trump at Turnberry in 2018 – he will also visit his Aberdeen course on this trip. Pic: AP

A flag flutters on the Ailsa Championship Course at the Trump Turnberry Golf Resort in Turnberry.
Image:
File pic: Reuters

Echoing her concerns, Leanne told Sky News: “Security is obviously being bumped up. It’s quite worrying. He’s quite a man, ain’t he?”

Sweeps of the rooms are carried out by US Secret Service agents after housekeeping staff complete their duties and Trump’s meals, they say, are prepared by a personal chef to avoid the risk of poisoning.

To the outside world, these measures seem standard for a US president. But to those who live in Turnberry, it’s far from normal when they have a date with the commander-in-chief.

Marine One helicopter
Image:
Marine One is in place awaiting the president’s arrival

A view of the hotel at the Trump Turnberry Golf Resort. File pic: Reuters
Image:
File pic: Reuters

Awkward encounters

Prestwick Airport has become something of an American airbase in recent days.

The infamous armoured limousine, known as “The Beast”, has been spotted being wheeled out of a US military plane as the presidential motorcade prepares for his arrival tonight.

Greeting the president at the doors of Air Force One will be the secretary of state for Scotland, Ian Murray, who previously supported a motion alleging Trump was guilty of “misogynism, racism and xenophobia”.

Another awkward encounter could come in the form of Scottish First Minister John Swinney’s showdown with Mr Trump next week.

Read more from Sky News:
Trump told in May his name in Epstein files – report
Trump says US will ‘win’ AI race as plan unveiled

The SNP leader, who publicly backed Kamala Harris in the presidential race, called for September’s state visit to be scrapped after the Ukrainian president’s visit to the White House descended into a shouting match live on TV earlier this year.

Demonstrations are planned throughout the weekend, with marches and protests announced in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen.

Kirsty Haigh, from Scotland Against Trump, claims the president uses Scotland to “cleanse his image” and he should not be able to use the country as an “escape” from his views.

She told Sky News: “He should not be welcomed by us, by our leaders.

“We want to see a Scotland that is very different than [the] America that’s being created.”

Continue Reading

US

Trump in Scotland: Escaping Epstein?

Published

on

By

Trump in Scotland: Escaping Epstein?

👉 Follow Trump100 on your podcast app 👈

The Epstein files are increasingly consuming the Trump administration, while Ghislaine Maxwell, Jeffrey Epstein’s co-conspirator and accomplice, has met Department of Justice officials and been ordered to appear before a congressional committee.

This, as the Wall Street Journal continues to reveal the alleged extent of Donald Trump’s relationship with the convicted sex offender.

Meanwhile, the president is due to arrive in Scotland to honour his mother, play golf, and meet Sir Keir Starmer and Scottish First Minister John Swinney.

If you’ve got a question you’d like the Trump100 team to answer, you can email it to trump100@sky.uk.

You can also watch all episodes on our YouTube channel.

Continue Reading

Trending