Connect with us

Published

on

An Irish woman has described her dramatic escape from Sudan with her children as gunfire erupted around them – and has been left “heartbroken” as her husband remains in the country.

Mother-of-three Sarah Widaa told Sky News that she was given just over an hour’s notice to get to the French embassy for an evacuation.

She and her children were airlifted out of Sudan and arrived in Djibouti on Monday morning.

Britons among dozens of people rescued on Saudi ship – Sudan latest

Describing her escape, Ms Widaa said her husband drove the family from their home in the Kafouri area of Sudan’s capital Khartoum and on the way there was “gunfire” as she told her children in the car “to duck, get down on the floor”.

“I was afraid,” she said.

Ms Widaa said when she got to the embassy, the French “went above and beyond”.

“I felt safer,” she said. “They were armed. We were in the buses for over an hour. We left for the airbase.

“We stayed in the hangar for two hours. There was no food. There are Greeks there, Americans.”

Amid the fighting, the water supply at their home had been cut off for five days and they had to instead get it from the black market.

“We didn’t have a lot of money at home, we were worried we would get looted,” Ms Widaa said.

“It was really difficult. There’s a lot of Irish citizens still in Sudan.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Sudan: Who awaits evacuation?

Ms Widaa said her husband did not join them in the evacuation as he stayed to care for his father who has diabetes and is on medication.

She said she was “heartbroken” to leave them behind and asked that when her father-in-law’s medication runs out “what is he going to do?”

‘Everyone is getting desperate’

Ms Widaa said her cousin did not receive an email about the evacuation and instead went by bus to the Egyptian border, with the vehicle breaking down three times along the way.

She said the border was “crazy” with “quite a lot of Sudanese trying to get in”.

“Everyone is getting desperate,” she added.

Describing the scene she left behind in Kafouri, Ms Widaa said the day before the violence started she took her children to get ice-creams.

“Everyone was out. The same area is now pitch black,” she added.

Buildings were burnt and cars with bullets were in the middle of the street, she said.

Ms Widaa said she hopes she can go back to her home, adding: “I have my house there. My kids have friends there, school there. We were happy.”

Nadine, who is one of Sarah Widaa's children
Image:
Nadine is one of Sarah Widaa’s children

Ms Widaa’s eldest daughter, Nadine, aged nine, told Sky News that it was “scary” living in the Sudanese capital during the fighting.

She said: “We had to sleep on the floor and we’re scared of bullets coming in.

“We were watching TV and a bullet hit our window, it was so loud. I was shaking until the end of the day.”

Irish teacher says ‘shooting didn’t stop for five days’

Another Irish national, called Cathy, was also among those to be safely evacuated.

The teacher, who has two sons, lives on a school campus and said the shooting “didn’t stop for five days”.

Cathy
Image:
Cathy spoke to Sky News

She said: “Our window exploded. We were under the mattress. Liam [one of her sons] said: ‘Mummy the glass hit me. It just bounced off me’.”

Cathy said she and her family managed to sneak out of the school and they eventually made it to a safe place where they were then taken to a friend’s house before being airlifted.

Read more:
UK troops fly to Sudan as govt works on evacuation plan for Britons
Why evacuating civilians is different to extracting diplomats
Which countries have evacuated their citizens?

Trapped doctor tells of ‘war zone’

Meanwhile, an NHS doctor trapped in Sudan has said he is living an “absolute nightmare” but has still had no contact with the Foreign Office.

Speaking to Sky News’s Mark Austin, Dr Ahmed said he had been working in the NHS for three years and had gone home to visit his loved ones.

After the fighting broke out, he moved his family a few kilometres south of Khartoum but still did not feel safe.

He said: “The whole capital [has] become a war zone. Even considering moving out of the capital is very dangerous as well. So it is absolutely a difficult time and a stressful time.”

Dr Ahmed said there was little access to water, electricity and healthcare with violence getting closer to where he was sheltering.

Dr Ahmed also criticised the UK government, saying: “I don’t think we’ve had enough attention. They just take the diplomats out. But there are other people. We deserve more attention from them.”

Continue Reading

World

Hong Kong mourns those lost to fire as investigators search for remains

Published

on

By

Hong Kong mourns those lost to fire as investigators search for remains

Grief was not lonely today in Hong Kong. Three days after the worst fire in the history of modern Hong Kong, it feels as though it has barely sunk in.

The weekend at least lent them time to pay tribute, and gave them some space to reflect.

People came in droves to lay flowers, so many a queuing system was needed.

People queue with flowers near the site to mourn the victims of the deadly fire. Pic: AP
Image:
People queue with flowers near the site to mourn the victims of the deadly fire. Pic: AP

Official books of condolences were also set up in multiple parts of the city.

It was the first day large teams of investigators were able to enter the site. Dozens of them in hazmat suits were bused in, their work the grimmest of tasks.

Every so often you could see a flashlight peep through the window of an upper blackened window, a reminder that the fire services are still undertaking dangerous work.

But the reach of the authorities is ramping up here.

Firefighters walk through the burned buildings after the deadly fire. Pic: AP
Image:
Firefighters walk through the burned buildings after the deadly fire. Pic: AP

Yesterday a grass roots aid distribution centre was the vibrant heart of the response.

They received notice at 4am that they needed to pack up and move on. By 10.30am, the mountains of donations were gone, residents watched on, bewildered.

The task apparently will be handed over to professional NGOs.

“I think the government’s biggest concern is due to some past incidents,” one organiser tells us. “They may liken this to previous events. The essence looks similar.”

Pic: AP
Image:
Pic: AP

She’s careful with her words, but she’s clearly hinting at major pro-democracy protests that were crushed by authorities in 2019.

Any sort of mass gathering is now seen as a risk, the system is still very nervous.

And they might well be because people here are angry.

What, they ask, did the government know? What did it choose to ignore?

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

How Hong Kong’s government failed to act on fire fears

Indeed, Sky News has learnt that residents raised their fears over fire safety connected to extensive renovations on Wang Fuk Court as early as September 2024.

They flagged the suspected flammability of green nets being used to cover the building.

An email response from the Labour Department was sent a few months later to Jason Poon, a civil engineer-turned-activist, who was working with residents. It insists that “the mesh’s flame retardant properties meet safety standards”.

But many clearly didn’t believe it. Posts spanning many months on a residents’ Facebook group continued to voice their fears.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Hong Kong fire survivors supported by community

When a much smaller fire broke out in the city last month, one resident posted: “All the materials outside are flammable, I feel really worried.”

“I feel that same way” another replied. “The government has no sense of concern.”

For Poon, who dedicates much of his time to fighting lax safety standards in Hong Kong’s construction industry, the whole experience has been devastating.

“They knew all the maintenance was using corner-cutting materials, but they didn’t do anything,” he says.

“This is a man-made disaster.”

We put these allegations to Hong Kong’s Labour Department but they have not yet responded to our request for comment.

Grief may still be the prominent force here, but anger is not that far behind.

Continue Reading

World

Indonesia: More than 300 people dead and others missing after floods and landslides

Published

on

By

Indonesia: More than 300 people dead and others missing after floods and landslides

More than 300 people have died and dozens are missing following floods and landslides in Indonesia, which has also been hit by an earthquake.

Monsoon rains over the past week caused rivers to burst their banks in North Sumatra province.

The deluge tore through mountainside villages, swept away people and submerged thousands of houses and buildings, the National Disaster Management Agency said.

As rescue workers continued their efforts on Saturday, the head of the country’s disaster mitigation agency said the number of dead had risen to at least 303 people. Authorities fear the figure will increase.

Flooded buildings in Medan, North Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Binsar Bakkara
Image:
Flooded buildings in Medan, North Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Binsar Bakkara

Other Southeast Asian countries including Thailand, Malaysia and Sri Lanka have also been affected by torrential rain in the last week, with authorities working to rescue stranded citizens, restore power and communications and coordinate recovery efforts.

On Friday, the Thai government said 145 people had been killed by flooding across eight southern provinces, while two deaths have also been confirmed in Malaysia. Sri Lanka, in South Asia, has also seen 46 deaths following a cyclone, authorities said.

Medan, North Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Binsar Bakkara
Image:
Medan, North Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Binsar Bakkara

The extreme weather was driven by tropical cyclone Senyar, which formed in the Strait of Malacca, Indonesia’s Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysical Agency said.

Rescuers in Indonesia have been struggling to reach some areas cut off by damaged roads, and where communications lines have come down.

Relief aircraft have been delivering aid and supplies to the hard-hit district of Central Tapanuli in North Sumatra and other provinces in the region.

Tanah Datar, West Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Ali Nayaka
Image:
Tanah Datar, West Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Ali Nayaka

The agency said West Sumatra’s Agam district had also been affected.

Pictures of the rescue efforts show workers trudging through waist-deep mud and areas filled with tree trunks and debris, searching for any victims potentially trapped.

In Aceh province, flooded roads meant authorities struggled to get tractors and other heavy equipment to hilly hamlets which were hit by mud and rocks in the deluge.

Malalak, West Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Nazar Chaniago
Image:
Malalak, West Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Nazar Chaniago

Hundreds of police officers, soldiers and residents dug through the debris with their bare hands and spades as heavy rain hindered their efforts.

Meanwhile, a magnitude 6.3 earthquake hit Sumatra island near Aceh province on Thursday, the country’s geophysics agency said.

Torrential rain triggered flash flooding and landslides in Sumatra earlier in the week. Videos posted on social media showed water streaming down from rooftops as panicked residents scrambled to safety.

Heavy seasonal rain from about October to March often causes flooding and landslides in Indonesia – an archipelago of more than 17,000 islands including Sumatra – where millions of people live in mountainous areas or near fertile floodplains.

Last week, almost 1,000 people from three villages on Java were forced to flee to shelters after the eruption of Mount Semeru, the island’s highest volcano.

Continue Reading

World

Pope Leo visits Istanbul’s Blue Mosque during first overseas visit

Published

on

By

Pope Leo visits Istanbul's Blue Mosque during first overseas visit

The Pope has visited Istanbul’s Blue Mosque during a day spent meeting both Muslim and Christian leaders.

Pope Leo joined the imam at the 17th-century Ottoman-era mosque, officially called the Sultan Ahmed Mosque.

The trip marked part of the third day of his first overseas visit as head of the Catholic Church. He will travel to Lebanon on Sunday.

After the mosque visit, Leo held a private meeting with Turkey‘s Christian leaders at the Syriac Orthodox Church of Mor Ephrem.

Pics: AP
Image:
Pics: AP

While the Vatican had said Leo would observe a “brief minute of silent prayer” at the Blue Mosque, the imam said the pope declined.

Speaking to reporters after the visit, Asgin Tunca said he had told the Pope: “It’s not my house, not your house, (it’s the) house of Allah.”

The imam added that he told the Pope: “‘If you want, you can worship here,’ I said. But he said, ‘that’s OK.’

More on Pope Leo

“He wanted to see the mosque, wanted to feel (the) atmosphere of the mosque, I think. And was very pleased.”

Later, Vatican spokesman Matteo Bruni said: “The Pope experienced his visit to the mosque in silence, in a spirit of contemplation and listening, with deep respect for the place and the faith of those who gather there in prayer.”

Pic: AP
Image:
Pic: AP

File pic: CTK / AP
Image:
File pic: CTK / AP

He is the latest pontiff to visit the holy site, with his recent predecessors Pope Francis and Pope Benedict also making visits in a gesture of respect to Turkey’s Muslim population.

Observing etiquette, Leo removed his shoes and walked through the carpeted mosque in his white socks.

Pic: AP
Image:
Pic: AP

However, he did not visit the Hagia Sophia, one of the most important historic cathedrals in Christianity and located just across from the Blue Mosque.

In July 2020, Turkey converted Hagia Sophia from a museum back into a mosque, which was criticised by the Vatican.

Read more from Sky News:
Tourist’s partner ‘tried to fight off shark’ during fatal attack
PM’s rap battle with Sky’s Beth Rigby goes viral
Hospitality pleads for ‘lifeline’ after budget ‘stealth tax’

A woman outside the Syriac Orthodox church of Mor Ephrem during Pope Leo XIV's meeting. Pic: AP
Image:
A woman outside the Syriac Orthodox church of Mor Ephrem during Pope Leo XIV’s meeting. Pic: AP

The Pope is set to end Saturday with a Catholic Mass in Istanbul’s Volkswagen Arena for the country’s Catholic community.

A religious minority, there are around 33,000 Catholics in Turkey, which has a population of more than 85 million people, most of whom are Sunni Muslim.

Continue Reading

Trending