Connect with us

Published

on

Extreme weather is gripping parts of the world amid growing fears this summer could see more record-breaking heat.

There have already been wildfires across Spain as temperatures soar to unprecedented levels for the time of the year – while the increasing impact of climate change continues to challenge communities and nations.

Which parts of the world are seeing extreme conditions?

Spain

Spain is bracing itself for its hottest ever day for the month of April this week with forecasters predicting temperatures of up to 40C (104F).

Temperatures will reach around 35C (95F) from Wednesday and will rise further into Thursday and Friday.

Such high levels are not normally seen until July and it comes after parts of Spain endured the driest March in 20 years.

The top temperature ever recorded in Spain for April was 37.4C (99.3F) in 2011, but this is expected to be beaten.

Experts have said the Mediterranean region is warming faster than the global average due to climate change.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Record-breaking heat could hit Spain

Asia

Last weekend, people in Bangkok and other areas of Thailand were warned not to go outside due to the extreme heat.

The capital hit 42C (100F) – but the national weather service said the heat index, which is what the temperature feels like when combined with humidity, hit a record 54C (129F).

Thailand normally expects highs of 37C (98.6F) at this time of the year – while weather watchers said the country’s meteorological service noted a record 45C (113F) for the first time last week.

Cordelia Lynch, Asia correspondent for Sky News, said many people “try to scurry between air-conditioned buildings as much as they can – a luxury those working outside can’t afford of course”.

“The so-called ‘monster deadly heatwave’ has ripped through southeast and south Asia,” she added.

“What seems distinct in Asia this year, is just how many countries have seen record heat and how early it’s come.”

In recent weeks, countries such as Japan, Bangladesh, India, China and Laos were among more than a dozen which saw soaring temperatures.

Authorities in parts of India shut schools for a week with temperatures above 40C.

Most of India is expected to have above-normal high temperatures between April and June, its national weather forecaster has said.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Record-breaking heatwave hits parts of Thailand

California

Meanwhile, in central California, fears are growing over flooding following extreme conditions which saw record levels of “snowpack” and rain.

Some communities between Los Angeles and San Francisco could be marooned by rising rivers or flooded out, experts have warned.

Officials are concerned the spring snowmelt in the Sierra Nevada will be so massive the north fork of the Kings River will not be able to contain it.

Much warmer weather could see an “accelerated snowmelt”.

It comes after nearly 10,000 Californians fled their homes last month after widespread flooding and snow.

What could happen in 2023 and 2024?

Average global temperatures could hit record highs this year or in 2024, climate scientists have warned.

Experts said the temperatures will be driven by climate change and from the anticipated return of the El Nino weather phenomenon.

Climate models suggest that after three years of the La Nina weather pattern in the Pacific Ocean, which generally lowers global temperatures slightly, the world will experience a return to El Nino, the warmer counterpart, later this year.

During El Nino, winds blowing west along the equator slow down, and warm water is pushed east, creating warmer surface ocean temperatures.

“El Nino is normally associated with record-breaking temperatures at the global level. Whether this will happen in 2023 or 2024 is not yet known, but it is, I think, more likely than not,” said Carlo Buontempo, director of the EU’s Copernicus Climate Change Service.

The world’s hottest year on record so far was 2016, which coincided with a strong El Nino.

However, climate change has fuelled extreme temperatures even in years without the phenomenon.

In February, Antarctic sea ice levels also hit a record low.

What major weather-related events are experts predicting?

Scientists have warned of more extreme heatwaves, wildfires, drought and flooding.

The last eight years were the world’s eighth hottest on record – reflecting the longer-term warming trend driven by greenhouse gas emissions.

Dr Friederike Otto, a senior lecturer at Imperial College London’s Grantham Institute, said El Nino-fuelled temperatures could worsen the climate change impacts countries are already experiencing.

“If El Nino does develop, there is a good chance 2023 will be even hotter than 2016 – considering the world has continued to warm as humans continue to burn fossil fuels,” Dr Otto said.

Professor Adam Scaife, the head of long-range forecasting at the Met Office, said: “The current record for global temperature occurred in 2016 and it’s no coincidence that followed the last big El Nino.

“If we get a big El Nino at the end of this year, then we’re likely to break the record for global temperature in 2024.”

Europe experienced its hottest summer on record in 2022, while extreme rainfall caused disastrous flooding in Pakistan.

In the UK, households and water companies are already being urged to focus on saving water as officials prepare for another dry, hot summer.

This week, a hosepipe ban was extended across parts of Devon.

South West Water, which introduced a ban in Cornwall and a small area of North Devon last August, made the decision to “replenish” depleted water supplies.

Read more on Sky News:
While Spain bakes, the approaching summer could be a scorcher

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

2022 was a year of weather extremes in the UK

What about the oceans?

It was revealed by a new study that global sea temperatures had hit record levels this month – and are growing at a rate not previously seen.

The temperature of the seas off the coast of North America were 13.8C higher than the average for 1981-2011.

A change in the temperatures of the oceans can have a further impact on extreme weather alongside contributing to the rise in sea levels. It can also kill off marine life.

It comes after the World Meteorological Organisation revealed last week that global sea levels are rising at more than double the pace they did in the first decade of measurements in 1993-2002 and hit a new record high last year.

Continue Reading

World

Hong Kong mourns those lost to fire as investigators search for remains

Published

on

By

Hong Kong mourns those lost to fire as investigators search for remains

Grief was not lonely today in Hong Kong. Three days after the worst fire in the history of modern Hong Kong, it feels as though it has barely sunk in.

The weekend at least lent them time to pay tribute, and gave them some space to reflect.

People came in droves to lay flowers, so many a queuing system was needed.

People queue with flowers near the site to mourn the victims of the deadly fire. Pic: AP
Image:
People queue with flowers near the site to mourn the victims of the deadly fire. Pic: AP

Official books of condolences were also set up in multiple parts of the city.

It was the first day large teams of investigators were able to enter the site. Dozens of them in hazmat suits were bused in, their work the grimmest of tasks.

Every so often you could see a flashlight peep through the window of an upper blackened window, a reminder that the fire services are still undertaking dangerous work.

But the reach of the authorities is ramping up here.

Firefighters walk through the burned buildings after the deadly fire. Pic: AP
Image:
Firefighters walk through the burned buildings after the deadly fire. Pic: AP

Yesterday a grass roots aid distribution centre was the vibrant heart of the response.

They received notice at 4am that they needed to pack up and move on. By 10.30am, the mountains of donations were gone, residents watched on, bewildered.

The task apparently will be handed over to professional NGOs.

“I think the government’s biggest concern is due to some past incidents,” one organiser tells us. “They may liken this to previous events. The essence looks similar.”

Pic: AP
Image:
Pic: AP

She’s careful with her words, but she’s clearly hinting at major pro-democracy protests that were crushed by authorities in 2019.

Any sort of mass gathering is now seen as a risk, the system is still very nervous.

And they might well be because people here are angry.

What, they ask, did the government know? What did it choose to ignore?

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

How Hong Kong’s government failed to act on fire fears

Indeed, Sky News has learnt that residents raised their fears over fire safety connected to extensive renovations on Wang Fuk Court as early as September 2024.

They flagged the suspected flammability of green nets being used to cover the building.

An email response from the Labour Department was sent a few months later to Jason Poon, a civil engineer-turned-activist, who was working with residents. It insists that “the mesh’s flame retardant properties meet safety standards”.

But many clearly didn’t believe it. Posts spanning many months on a residents’ Facebook group continued to voice their fears.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Hong Kong fire survivors supported by community

When a much smaller fire broke out in the city last month, one resident posted: “All the materials outside are flammable, I feel really worried.”

“I feel that same way” another replied. “The government has no sense of concern.”

For Poon, who dedicates much of his time to fighting lax safety standards in Hong Kong’s construction industry, the whole experience has been devastating.

“They knew all the maintenance was using corner-cutting materials, but they didn’t do anything,” he says.

“This is a man-made disaster.”

We put these allegations to Hong Kong’s Labour Department but they have not yet responded to our request for comment.

Grief may still be the prominent force here, but anger is not that far behind.

Continue Reading

World

Indonesia: More than 300 people dead and others missing after floods and landslides

Published

on

By

Indonesia: More than 300 people dead and others missing after floods and landslides

More than 300 people have died and dozens are missing following floods and landslides in Indonesia, which has also been hit by an earthquake.

Monsoon rains over the past week caused rivers to burst their banks in North Sumatra province.

The deluge tore through mountainside villages, swept away people and submerged thousands of houses and buildings, the National Disaster Management Agency said.

As rescue workers continued their efforts on Saturday, the head of the country’s disaster mitigation agency said the number of dead had risen to at least 303 people. Authorities fear the figure will increase.

Flooded buildings in Medan, North Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Binsar Bakkara
Image:
Flooded buildings in Medan, North Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Binsar Bakkara

Other Southeast Asian countries including Thailand, Malaysia and Sri Lanka have also been affected by torrential rain in the last week, with authorities working to rescue stranded citizens, restore power and communications and coordinate recovery efforts.

On Friday, the Thai government said 145 people had been killed by flooding across eight southern provinces, while two deaths have also been confirmed in Malaysia. Sri Lanka, in South Asia, has also seen 46 deaths following a cyclone, authorities said.

Medan, North Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Binsar Bakkara
Image:
Medan, North Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Binsar Bakkara

The extreme weather was driven by tropical cyclone Senyar, which formed in the Strait of Malacca, Indonesia’s Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysical Agency said.

Rescuers in Indonesia have been struggling to reach some areas cut off by damaged roads, and where communications lines have come down.

Relief aircraft have been delivering aid and supplies to the hard-hit district of Central Tapanuli in North Sumatra and other provinces in the region.

Tanah Datar, West Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Ali Nayaka
Image:
Tanah Datar, West Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Ali Nayaka

The agency said West Sumatra’s Agam district had also been affected.

Pictures of the rescue efforts show workers trudging through waist-deep mud and areas filled with tree trunks and debris, searching for any victims potentially trapped.

In Aceh province, flooded roads meant authorities struggled to get tractors and other heavy equipment to hilly hamlets which were hit by mud and rocks in the deluge.

Malalak, West Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Nazar Chaniago
Image:
Malalak, West Sumatra. Pic: AP/ Nazar Chaniago

Hundreds of police officers, soldiers and residents dug through the debris with their bare hands and spades as heavy rain hindered their efforts.

Meanwhile, a magnitude 6.3 earthquake hit Sumatra island near Aceh province on Thursday, the country’s geophysics agency said.

Torrential rain triggered flash flooding and landslides in Sumatra earlier in the week. Videos posted on social media showed water streaming down from rooftops as panicked residents scrambled to safety.

Heavy seasonal rain from about October to March often causes flooding and landslides in Indonesia – an archipelago of more than 17,000 islands including Sumatra – where millions of people live in mountainous areas or near fertile floodplains.

Last week, almost 1,000 people from three villages on Java were forced to flee to shelters after the eruption of Mount Semeru, the island’s highest volcano.

Continue Reading

World

Pope Leo visits Istanbul’s Blue Mosque during first overseas visit

Published

on

By

Pope Leo visits Istanbul's Blue Mosque during first overseas visit

The Pope has visited Istanbul’s Blue Mosque during a day spent meeting both Muslim and Christian leaders.

Pope Leo joined the imam at the 17th-century Ottoman-era mosque, officially called the Sultan Ahmed Mosque.

The trip marked part of the third day of his first overseas visit as head of the Catholic Church. He will travel to Lebanon on Sunday.

After the mosque visit, Leo held a private meeting with Turkey‘s Christian leaders at the Syriac Orthodox Church of Mor Ephrem.

Pics: AP
Image:
Pics: AP

While the Vatican had said Leo would observe a “brief minute of silent prayer” at the Blue Mosque, the imam said the pope declined.

Speaking to reporters after the visit, Asgin Tunca said he had told the Pope: “It’s not my house, not your house, (it’s the) house of Allah.”

The imam added that he told the Pope: “‘If you want, you can worship here,’ I said. But he said, ‘that’s OK.’

More on Pope Leo

“He wanted to see the mosque, wanted to feel (the) atmosphere of the mosque, I think. And was very pleased.”

Later, Vatican spokesman Matteo Bruni said: “The Pope experienced his visit to the mosque in silence, in a spirit of contemplation and listening, with deep respect for the place and the faith of those who gather there in prayer.”

Pic: AP
Image:
Pic: AP

File pic: CTK / AP
Image:
File pic: CTK / AP

He is the latest pontiff to visit the holy site, with his recent predecessors Pope Francis and Pope Benedict also making visits in a gesture of respect to Turkey’s Muslim population.

Observing etiquette, Leo removed his shoes and walked through the carpeted mosque in his white socks.

Pic: AP
Image:
Pic: AP

However, he did not visit the Hagia Sophia, one of the most important historic cathedrals in Christianity and located just across from the Blue Mosque.

In July 2020, Turkey converted Hagia Sophia from a museum back into a mosque, which was criticised by the Vatican.

Read more from Sky News:
Tourist’s partner ‘tried to fight off shark’ during fatal attack
PM’s rap battle with Sky’s Beth Rigby goes viral
Hospitality pleads for ‘lifeline’ after budget ‘stealth tax’

A woman outside the Syriac Orthodox church of Mor Ephrem during Pope Leo XIV's meeting. Pic: AP
Image:
A woman outside the Syriac Orthodox church of Mor Ephrem during Pope Leo XIV’s meeting. Pic: AP

The Pope is set to end Saturday with a Catholic Mass in Istanbul’s Volkswagen Arena for the country’s Catholic community.

A religious minority, there are around 33,000 Catholics in Turkey, which has a population of more than 85 million people, most of whom are Sunni Muslim.

Continue Reading

Trending