Connect with us

Published

on

close video Former Spirit Airlines CEO on travel industry: ‘Everyone can step up their game’

Former Spirit Airlines CEO Ben Baldanza provides his outlook on the travel industry amid pilot shortages and outdated tech.

Airlines have gained record revenues over the last two quarters due to a combination of soaring demand, limited supply and surging airfares. Passengers, on the other hand, are far from satisfied, according to the J.D. Power 2023 North America Airline Satisfaction Study. 

Customer satisfaction with major airlines is down significantly for a second year in a row due in large part to airfare costs, according to the study, published Wednesday. 

Overall satisfaction dropped seven points from last year to 791 out of a 1,000-point scale. In 2022, passenger satisfaction dropped 22 points from 2021. 

SUMMER TRAVEL: FAA ACTIVATES MORE DIRECT ROUTES TO CUT DOWN ON DELAYS, ENHANCE SAFETY

According to the data, customer satisfaction for the airline costs and fees fell 17 points from last year. Meanwhile, satisfaction with cost and fees in the economy basic economy segment, in particular, went down even further, falling 19 points from a year ago, according to the study. 

An American Airlines aircraft makes its final approach to London’s Heathrow International Airport in England. (Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images / Getty Images)

In the end, this could damage a brand, Michael Taylor, travel intelligence lead at J.D. Power, warned. 

"If yield management were the only metric airlines needed to be successful in the long term, this would be a banner year for the industry because they are operating at peak economic efficiency," Taylor said. 

For instance, United Airlines reported in April that its total operating revenue during the first quarter grew by 51.1% compared to the same period in 2022 and total revenue per available seat mile grew by 22.5%.

Meanwhile, JetBlue generated its highest first-quarter revenue in history. During the first quarter, the company reported operating revenue of $2.3 billion, which is up 34.1% compared to the same period a year ago.  American also reported a record first-quarter revenue of $12.2 billion, a 37% increase year over year.

A Southwest Airlines jet arrives at Sky Harbor International Airport, Dec. 28, 2022, in Phoenix. (AP Photo/Matt York / AP Newsroom)

"From the customer perspective, however, that means planes are crowded, tickets are expensive and flight availability is constrained," Taylor said.

Although these aforementioned issues haven't hindered leisure travel demand just yet, "if this trend continues, travelers will reach a breaking point and some airline brands may be damaged," he added.  

UNITED ADDS MORE INTERNATIONAL ROUTES THIS SUMMER DUE TO STRONG DEMAND

According to recent data from travel app Hopper, trips to certain international destinations already cost more than $300 per ticket compared to last summer due to continued demand, higher jet fuel prices and lower capacity. That said, passengers will see some relief with domestic fares this summer which are only 6% higher compared to pre-pandemic times, according to Hopper.

A United 737-800 aircraft (United Airlines)

The study also measured passenger satisfaction with airline carriers in North America based on aircraft performance, baggage, boarding, check-in, cost and fees, flight crew, in-flight services and reservation. 

GET FOX BUSINESS ON THE GO BY CLICKING HERE

For economy and basic economy, Southwest Airlines ranked the highest for the second year in a row, gaining a score of 827.

Southwest beat Delta Air Lines, which scored 801 and JetBlue Airways, at 800, despite its operational meltdown in December that led to nearly 17,000 canceled flights and displaced millions of passengers over the holidays.  

For premium economy, Delta ranked the highest followed by JetBlue Airways and Alaska Airlines. For first class and business, JetBlue Airways came in at number one. Delta ranked second and United was right behind at third.  

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Russell Brand charged with rape and sexual assault

Published

on

By

Russell Brand charged with rape and sexual assault

Russell Brand has been charged with rape and two counts of sexual assault between 1999 and 2005.

The Metropolitan Police say the 50-year-old comedian, actor and author has also been charged with one count of oral rape and one count of indecent assault.

The charges relate to four women.

He is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Friday 2 May.

Police have said Brand is accused of raping a woman in the Bournemouth area in 1999 and indecently assaulting a woman in the Westminster area of London in 2001.

He is also accused of orally raping and sexually assaulting a woman in Westminster in 2004.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Ashna Hurynag discusses Russell Brand’s charges

The fourth charge alleges that a woman was sexually assaulted in Westminster between 2004 and 2005.

Police began investigating Brand, from Oxfordshire, in September 2023 after receiving a number of allegations.

Read more from Sky News:
Mum spared prison after son’s death
Last UK blast furnaces days from closure
Ship owner files legal claim after North Sea crash

The comedian has denied the accusations and said he has “never engaged in non-consensual activity”.

He added in a video on X: “Of course, I am now going to have the opportunity to defend these charges in court, and I’m incredibly grateful for that.”

Metropolitan Police Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy, who is leading the investigation, said: “The women who have made reports continue to receive support from specially trained officers.

“The Met’s investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police.”

Continue Reading

Sports

O’s Henderson off IL; will make ’25 debut vs. KC

Published

on

By

O's Henderson off IL; will make '25 debut vs. KC

Baltimore Orioles All-Star shortstop Gunnar Henderson was activated from the 10-day injured list and will make his season debut Friday night against the Kansas City Royals.

Henderson has been sidelined with a right intercostal strain and missed the first seven games of the big league campaign.

The 23-year-old Henderson will lead off and play shortstop against the host Royals.

Henderson was injured during a spring training game Feb. 27. He was fourth in American League MVP voting last season when he batted .281 and racked up career bests of 37 homers and 92 RBIs.

Henderson completed a five-game rehab stint at Triple-A Norfolk on Wednesday. He batted .263 (5-for-19) with two homers and four RBIs and played four games at shortstop and one as the designated hitter. He did commit three errors.

“I think everybody’s looking forward to having Gunnar back on the team,” Baltimore manager Brandon Hyde said Thursday. “The rehab went really, really well. I talked to him a couple days ago, he feels great swinging the bat. The timing came, especially the last few days. He just had to get out there and get some reps defensively and get some games in, and it all went well.”

Baltimore optioned outfielder Dylan Carlson to Triple-A Norfolk to open up a roster spot. The 26-year-old was 0-for-4 with a run and RBI in two games this season.

Continue Reading

Politics

‘Will the PM side with parents or tech bros?’: Labour peer demands action on children’s smartphone safety

Published

on

By

'Will the PM side with parents or tech bros?': Labour peer demands action on children's smartphone safety

Sir Keir Starmer needs to choose between parents who want stronger action to tackle harmful content on children’s phones, or the “tech bros” who are resisting changes to their platforms, Baroness Harriet Harman has said.

Speaking to Beth Rigby on Sky News’ Electoral Dysfunction podcast, the Labour peer noted that the prime minister met with the creators of hit Netflix drama Adolescence to discuss safety on social media, but she questioned if he is going to take action to “stop the tech companies allowing this sort of stuff” on their platforms where children can access it.

Sir Keir hosted a roundtable on Monday with Adolescence co-writer Jack Thorne and producer Jo Johnson to discuss issues raised in the series, which centres on a 13-year-old boy arrested for the murder of a young girl, and the rise of incel culture.

Politics latest: Could the UK retaliate against Trump?

The aim was to discuss how to prevent young boys being dragged into a “whirlpool of hatred and misogyny”, and the prime minister said the four-part series raises questions about how to keep young people safe from technology.

Sir Keir has backed calls for the four-part drama to be shown in all schools across the country, but Baroness Harman questioned what is going to be achieved by having young people simply watch the show.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Sir Keir Starmer held a roundtable with the creators of the Adolescence TV drama.

“Two questions were raised [for me],” she said. ” Firstly – after they’ve watched it, what is going to be the discussion afterwards?

More on Electoral Dysfunction

“And secondly, is he going to act to stop the tech companies allowing this sort of stuff to go online into smartphones without protection of children?

“Because if the tech companies wanted to do this, they could actually protect children. They can do everything they want with their tech.”

She acknowledged there are “very big public policy challenges” in this area, but added of the prime minister: “Is he going to side with parents who are terrified and want this content off their children’s phones, or is he going to accept the tech bros’ resistance to having to make changes?”

Harriet Harman said the government should impose time limits on inquiries
Image:
Baroness Harriet Harman

👉 Click here to listen to Electoral Dysfunction on your podcast app 👈

Can parliament keep up?

The Labour peer backed the Conservative Party’s call for a ban on smartphones in schools to be mandated from Westminster, saying it would “enable all schools not to have a discussion with their parents or to battle it out, but just to say, this is the ruling” from central government, which Ofsted would then enforce.

“I’m sensitive to the idea that we shouldn’t constantly be telling schools what to do,” she continued. “And they’ve got a lot of common sense and a lot of professional experience, and they should have as much autonomy as possible.

“But perhaps it’s easier for them if it’s done top down.”

Baroness Harman also questioned the speed with which parliament is actually able to legislate to deal with the very rapid development of new technologies, and posits that it could “change its processes to be able to legislate in real time”.

She suggested that a “powerful select committee” of MPs could be established to do that, because “otherwise we talk about it, and then we’re not able to legislate for 10 years – by which time that problem has really set in, and we’ve got a whole load more problems”.

On the podcast, the trio also discussed the 10% tariffs imposed on the UK by Donald Trump and the government’s efforts to strike a trade deal with the US to mitigate the impact of the levy.

The government has refused to rule out scrapping the Digital Services Tax, a 2% levy on tech giants’ revenues in the UK, as part of the negotiations with the Trump administration – a move Baroness Harman said would be “very heartbreaking”.

👉 Click here to listen to Electoral Dysfunction on your podcast app 👈

Continue Reading

Trending