Connect with us

Published

on

It has been a whirlwind of conflicting reports since Harry and Meghan’s spokesperson claimed the couple were involved in a “near catastrophic” car chase with “highly aggressive paparazzi” in New York.

Since the statement, police, photographers and even the taxi driver – who was thrust into the middle of a media storm when he picked up the couple in his yellow cab – have had their say.

Here Sky News breaks down what has been said so far…

Harry and Meghan’s spokesperson

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s spokesperson released a statement on Wednesday, saying they had been involved in a “near catastrophic” car chase that was caused by “highly aggressive paparazzi” on Tuesday evening.

The incident took place as Harry and Meghan, and her mother Doria Ragland, left the Ms Foundation for Women’s annual gala at the Ziegfeld Ballroom, where Meghan picked up an award.

Doria Ragland, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex attend the Ms. Foundation Women of Vision Awards
Image:
Doria Ragland, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex attend the Ms. Foundation Women of Vision Awards
Prince Harry and Meghan leave awards before car chase
Image:
Prince Harry and Meghan leave awards before car chase
Duchess of Sussex Meghan Markle and Duke of Sussex Prince Harry attend the ceremony, which benefits the Ms. Foundation for Women and feminist movements, in New York
Image:
The couple attending the ceremony in New York

The couple’s spokesperson said the “relentless pursuit” lasted more than two hours and “resulted in multiple near collisions involving other drivers on the road, pedestrians and two NYPD (New York Police Department) officers”.

Press secretary for the Sussexes, Ashley Hansen, later exclusively told Sky’s Mark Stone: “I have never experienced their vulnerability as much as I did last night. They were incredibly scared and shaken up.”

Police in New York

According to police, one NYPD vehicle escorted their car across 57th Street and other streets for around one hour and 15 minutes, in a bid to lose pursuers.

The Sussexes and Ms Ragland were driven to the NYPD’s 19th precinct building and stayed there for around 15 minutes.

The couple then got into a different car and got to their residence without being followed. But police appeared to downplay the severity of the “car chase”, which they described as “a bit chaotic”.

Image:
A map of where the Sussexes attended the event

Julian Phillips, the deputy commissioner of the New York Police Department, said: “There were numerous photographers that made their transport challenging.

“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex arrived at their destination and there were no reported collisions, summonses, injuries, or arrests.”

Read more:
What Harry has said about paparazzi before
‘Impossible not to be reminded of Diana’
Video of couple before ‘car chase’

New York’s Mayor

New York’s Mayor Eric Adams said: “The press or paparazzi, you know, they want to get the right shot, they want to get the right story.

“But public safety must always be at the forefront. In a briefing I received [I heard] two of our officers could have been injured… I don’t think there’s many of us who don’t recall how [Harry’s] mum died.

Mr Adams added he believes the behaviour of those following the Sussexes was “reckless and irresponsible”.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Mayor found it ‘hard to believe’ it was a two-hour high-speed chase

Taxi driver who picked up the Sussexes

Sukhcharn Singh, a taxi driver who picked up the Sussexes outside the 19th precinct, told The Washington Post: “I don’t think I would call it a chase.”

He said he picked up the couple and Ms Ragland at 11pm and they were in his car for around 10 minutes.

“I never felt like I was in danger,” Mr Singh said. “It wasn’t like a car chase in a movie. They were quiet and seemed scared but it’s New York – it’s safe.”

Mr Singh said he got the impression from the Sussexes that they had already been pursued by paparazzi before they got in his car.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Harry and Meghan’s taxi driver speaks out

Eyewitness who said paparazzi were ‘aggressive’

Zara Sayeed saw the pair arrive and depart from the awards ceremony. She said: “The way I saw them [the paparazzi] follow the car – I wasn’t surprised by the headlines.

“As they [the Sussexes] were leaving, just the way they chased the car, it just reminds me of all the other scenes we have seen in the past with Prince Harry’s mother.

‘It was really upsetting. It was triggering for me – I can’t imagine how it must have felt for them.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Paparazzi ‘aggressive’ to Sussexes

The response from the paparazzi

A paparazzi driver reportedly involved in the incident admitted it was “very tense” attempting to keep up with the couple – but blamed the “catastrophic experience” on the couple’s driver.

He told ITV’s Good Morning Britain: “They did a lot of blocking and there was a lot of different type of manoeuvres to stop what was happening.

Click to subscribe to the Sky News Daily wherever you get your podcasts

“Their driver was making it a catastrophic experience… if they were going 80mph, I would probably have been going 20mph behind them and hoping to keep sight of them,

“So if it was dangerous and catastrophic, it was more than likely based on the person that was driving.”

In other developments, a celebrity news agency that filmed Harry and Meghan up close has also disputed their version of events – and claimed it was actually an SUV in the couple’s security detail that was driving recklessly.

A statement from Backgrid said it had received footage from four freelance photographers who had no intention of causing distress or harm – and several pictures showed Meghan smiling inside the taxi.

Continue Reading

UK

Jaguar Land Rover to ‘pause’ US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Published

on

By

Jaguar Land Rover to 'pause' US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.

The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.

JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.

Follow live updates: Trump’s baseline 10% tariff kicks in

In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.

“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”

The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.

More on Donald Trump

JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.

“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.

Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.

All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.

Read more: A red wall on Wall Street – but Trump seems to believe it will work out

Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.

For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.

Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.

Continue Reading

UK

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Published

on

By

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.

In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.

Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.

They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.

The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.

Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.

“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.

Two fire crews remain at the scene.

Continue Reading

UK

Boy dies after ‘getting into difficulty’ in lake in southeast London

Published

on

By

Boy dies after 'getting into difficulty' in lake in southeast London

A 15-year-old boy has died after “getting into difficulty” in a lake in southeast London, police say.

Officers and paramedics were called shortly after 3pm on Friday to Beckenham Place Park in Lewisham.

The Metropolitan Police said a boy “was recovered from the lake” at around 10.42pm the same day.

“He was taken to hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead. His death is being treated as unexpected but not believed to be suspicious,” according to the force.

The boy’s family has been told and are being supported by specialist officers.

The force originally said the child was 16 years old, but has since confirmed his age as 15.

In the earlier statement, officers said emergency services carried out a search and the park was evacuated.

More from UK

google street view inside Beckenham Place park, Lewisham where a 16 y/o boy is missing after getting into difficulty in a lake
Image:
Emergency teams were called to Beckenham Place Park on Friday afternoon

Beckenham Place Park, which borders the London borough of Bromley, covers around 240 acres, according to the park’s website.

The lake is described as 285 metres long, reaching depths of up to 3.5 metres.

It is designed as a swimming lake for open-water swimming and paddle boarding.

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said on Friday: “We were called at 3.02pm this afternoon to reports of a person in the water.

“We sent resources to the scene, including an ambulance crew, an incident response officer and members of our hazardous area response team.”

Emergency teams have not explained how the boy entered the water, or whether he was accompanied by others.

Continue Reading

Trending