When Annie got the call on a Friday afternoon in March this year, she was on her way to pick up her daughter from school.
Her son, in his early twenties, was being discharged, with immediate effect from the mental health unit Wotton Lawn in Gloucester, where he had been sectioned in the psychiatric intensive care unit.
“You are being discharged as homeless,” the staff member said, while Annie listened in.
Annie told them she was recording the call, and pleaded to keep him in, warning that this course of action would be potentially fatal for her son.
She was told he had allegedly assaulted another patient. He denied it.
But for several days leading up to this moment the hospital had warned his mother it was time for him to leave.
The young man, we will call ‘John,’ indicated that he was having suicidal thoughts. His confused response to what was happening was that he wanted “euthanasia”.
Annie warned staff she couldn’t get there to pick him up, but they pressed on with the discharge.
The staff member told John: “We are going to formally discharge you at half past four this afternoon. So, you won’t be a patient on this ward at half past four.
“And if you do refuse to leave you will be trespassing and the police will be removing you.”
After the discharge time had elapsed, Annie called her son again.
Image: Annie’s son survived despite sustaining serious injuries
There was no reply – until eventually a member of the public answered the phone.
A woman told Annie that her son was badly injured and being treated by paramedics having thrown himself off a bridge.
“So, he’d basically been told to get out of the mental hospital and two minutes later, he’s on the tracks,” says Annie. “He just walked out of the door, jumped headfirst off a bridge.
“He smashed his skull, his face, had a brain haemorrhage, smashed his arms and legs and punctured his spleen.”
Incredibly, he survived.
That evening Wotton Lawn staff members left some of John’s belongings outside for Annie to collect.
She says no one spoke to her.
In the weeks leading up to this moment, Annie had already been talking to Sky News because she felt her son was not getting proper treatment or care at Wotton Lawn.
She said despite him being sectioned under the Mental Health Act, he was frequently going missing from the hospital.
She says she was unable to see his care plan and that doctors discouraged her from communicating with them.
She claims one consultant even said he would block her emails, after she told him she wanted to put her concerns in writing.
In that period, we collected the stories of several other families and patients who had recently been in the hospital and their experiences echoed Annie’s.
Image: Heidi Hanks said she pleaded to be readmitted to the hospital
Staff gave tablets to patient despite overdose risk
Heidi Hanks was in Wotton Lawn for a period of eight weeks in late 2022 into 2023.
Her husband John says he had no contact with the hospital while she was in their care.
He said: “I’ve never seen her care plan, never spoken to a doctor. I called the hospital to say, ‘what’s the progress, what’s going on?’
“I never got anything back over the whole time she was there.”
Heidi would go missing from the premises and was once found by a member of the public walking down train tracks.
She says when she returned, no one asked her about what had happened.
Heidi says she too was discharged too soon.
She returned the next day pleading to be readmitted because voices were telling her to take an overdose.
She says despite this, she was told to go home and handed the very tablets she had said she was going to take an overdose with.
She swallowed the pills, just outside the hospital, and her husband collected her and took her to A&E.
Image: Photographs obtained by Sky News show staff asleep
Staff photographed asleep in their chairs
Sky News has obtained photographs of several staff members asleep in their chairs in different parts of the hospital.
These pictures have been taken by patients who say those staff members should have been alert and keeping an eye on the people in their care.
Another patient, who we will call ‘Jamie’, says he wasn’t properly watched and despite supposedly having round-the-clock care, was able to get onto the roof of the hospital and jump off it.
‘I wasn’t in a safe place’
Jamie told Sky News: “I broke both my legs, my wrists, my arm my back and my pelvis.
“I was hearing voices and I should have been in a safe place, where I can’t get out and there are no roofs I could jump off.
“But I wasn’t in a safe place at all.”
He says he was mostly looked after by inexperienced agency or ‘bank’ staff and was isolated from his family.
A Care Quality Commission report on the hospital found the psychiatric intensive care units had a 32% vacancy rate and “high rates of bank and agency staff”.
The service rated overall as ‘good’.
But they also found most relatives “had not been given information or been involved in decisions about their relative”.
All the relatives or carers who spoke to the CQC said “they had not been given the opportunity of providing feedback”.
Image: Nicky Davis says she has been able to access the roof on numerous occasions
One patient ‘able to access hospital roof for years’
Another patient, Nicky Davis, is currently in Wotton Lawn.
She has taken photographs of herself on the roof of the hospital on numerous occasions.
She says she’s been able to access it by the same route “for years” having been in and out of the hospital over a six-year period.
Even when on the hospital’s most secure psychiatric ward for the most at-risk patients, Nicky says she was able to access the roof through a window, and on one occasion attempted suicide.
Nicky says the high use of agency staff means patients don’t form a relationship with their carers but the thing that upsets her most is sleeping staff and claims this is widespread and it’s not just at night, but more often on the afternoon into evening shift.
Image: Nicky Davis, left, with her twin sister Laura
‘I’ve actually seen patients walk out of the hospital’
Her mother Joanna Davis, and stepfather Darren Watts, say the level of care is inadequate.
Joanna said: “I’ve seen staff asleep. I’ve seen staff when she’s been escorted to the hospital fall asleep.
“I’ve seen the chair on the door empty so that patients are able to abscond.
“I’ve actually seen patients walk out of the hospital and Nicky have to say to a member of staff, ‘that patient is not allowed leave’.”
Nicky’s twin sister Laura committed suicide after she stayed at Wotton Lawn.
An inquest at Cheshire’s Coroner’s Court completed in February 2023 found Wotton Lawn failed to pass on crucial information about Laura to another hospital, leading to a fatal mistake.
The inquest states: “The information transferred from Wotton Lawn Hospital to Arbury Court Hospital about Laura was deficient, in that it did not include anything about a recent incident.”
It goes on to describe how she had tried to commit suicide in Wotton Lawn and then used the same method successfully because staff hadn’t realised a particular object posed a risk.
‘People can abscond from the psychiatric hospital’
Joy Higgins, from the local Gloucester charity Suicide Crisis, is a former patient at Wotton Lawn.
She says she has spent months examining inquests which have shown failures at Wotton Lawn and other hospitals and the lessons are not being learned.
“I think in particular, where patients have been able to access harmful items on the ward and that’s something that we have seen at more than one inquest, tragically.
“And so that suggests very strongly that the learning has not been taken from the inquest and that it is simply repeating.
“And what we have seen in inquest after inquest is the frequency with which people can abscond from the psychiatric hospital when they are assessed as being at high risk of suicide.”
She added: “It’s a repeated issue that’s been going on not just for months, but for years, where patients are being able to simply leave.
“It’s a requirement that the exit doors are monitored to prevent patients leaving. But too often there are no staff there.
“And so, for me, it’s a management issue and ultimately a senior management issue. The leadership of the trust.”
Trust admits ‘we do not always get things right’
Gloucestershire Health and Care NHS Foundation Trust, which runs Wotton lawn, said: “We are really disappointed to hear these reports and apologise to anyone who hasn’t had good experience of our care.
“Our hospital at Wotton Lawn is a therapeutic environment and, while two of the wards in the hospital are classed as secure, the majority of general hospital patients are allowed to leave the premises when appropriate and this is managed carefully on a case by case basis.
“Our colleagues work hard, often in very difficult circumstances, to support our patients to recover and be safely discharged every day, and we receive regular positive feedback.
“We know, however, that we do not always get things right.
“While we cannot respond with specific details, context and facts due to patient confidentiality, we were already aware of the cases detailed and have reviewed them fully.
“We take the allegations of staff sleeping on duty very seriously and will investigate further once full details are shared with us.
“We are constantly reviewing our processes and procedures, and will continue to speak to patients and families about improvements they would like to see within the hospital and improve our services based on their feedback.”
But national charities such as SANE and MIND have expressed growing concerns about the state of mental health services across the UK.
Wotton Lawn seems to be another example where patients are being failed.
:: Anyone feeling emotionally distressed or suicidal can call Samaritans for help on 116 123 or email jo@samaritans.org in the UK. In the US, call the Samaritans branch in your area or 1 (800) 273-TALK.
Russell Brand has been charged with rape and two counts of sexual assault between 1999 and 2005.
The Metropolitan Police say the 50-year-old comedian, actor and author has also been charged with one count of oral rape and one count of indecent assault.
The charges relate to four women.
He is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Friday 2 May.
Police have said Brand is accused of raping a woman in the Bournemouth area in 1999 and indecently assaulting a woman in the Westminster area of London in 2001.
He is also accused of orally raping and sexually assaulting a woman in Westminster in 2004.
The fourth charge alleges that a woman was sexually assaulted in Westminster between 2004 and 2005.
Police began investigating Brand, from Oxfordshire, in September 2023 after receiving a number of allegations.
The comedian has previously denied the accusations, and said all his sexual relationships were “absolutely always consensual”.
Met Police Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy, who is leading the investigation, said: “The women who have made reports continue to receive support from specially trained officers.
“The Met’s investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police.”
The last blast furnaces left operating in Britain could see their fate sealed within days, after their Chinese owners took the decision to cut off the crucial supply of ingredients keeping them running.
Jingye, the owner of British Steel in Scunthorpe, has, according to union representatives, cancelled future orders for the iron ore, coal and other raw materials needed to keep the furnaces running.
The upshot is that they may have to close next month – even sooner than the earliest date suggested for its closure.
The fate of the blast furnaces – the last two domestic sources of virgin steel, made from iron ore rather than recycled – is likely to be determined in a matter of days, with the Department for Business and Trade now actively pondering nationalisation.
The upshot is that even as Britain contends with a trade war across the Atlantic, it is now working against the clock to secure the future of steelmaking at Scunthorpe.
The talks between the government and Jingye broke down last week after the Chinese company, which bought British Steel out of receivership in 2020, rejected a £500m offer of public money to replace the existing furnaces with electric arc furnaces.
More on China
Related Topics:
The sum is the same one it offered to Tata Steel, which has shut down the other remaining UK blast furnaces in Port Talbot and is planning to build electric furnaces – which have far lower carbon emissions.
Image: These steel workers could soon be out of work
However, the owners argue that the amount is too little to justify extra investment at Scunthorpe, and said last week they were now consulting on the date of shutting both the blast furnaces and the attached steelworks.
Since British Steel is the main provider of steel rails to Network Rail – as well as other construction steels available from only a few sites in the world – the closure would leave the UK more reliant on imports for critical infrastructure sites.
However, since the site belongs to its Chinese owners, a decision to nationalise the site would involve radical steps government officials are wary of taking.
They also fear leaving taxpayers exposed to a potentially loss-making business for the long run.
The dilemma has been heightened by the sharp turn in geopolitical sentiment following Donald Trump’s return to the White House.
The incipient trade war and threatened cut in American support to Europe have sparked fresh calls for countries to act urgently to secure their own supplies of critical materials, especially those used for defence and infrastructure.
Gareth Stace, head of UK Steel, the industry lobby group, said: “Talks seem to have broken down between government and British Steel.
“My advice to government is: please, Jonathan Reynolds, Business Secretary, get back round that negotiating table, thrash out a deal, and if a deal can’t be found in the next few days, then I fear for the very future of the sector, but also here for Scunthorpe steelworks.”
Prince Andrew’s efforts to make money from his Pitch@Palace project have been branded as a “crude attempt to enrich himself” at the expense of “unsuspecting tech founders”, as new documents may shed more light on what he and his team have been attempting to sell.
Today is the deadline for documents to be released relating to Prince Andrew‘s former senior adviser Dominic Hampshire and his interactions with the alleged Chinese spy Yang Tengbo.
In February, an immigration tribunal heard how the intelligence services had contacted Mr Hampshire about Mr Yang back in 2022. Mr Yang helped set up Pitch@Palace China, a branch of the duke’s scheme to help young entrepreneurs.
Image: The alleged Chinese spy, Yang Tengbo, has links with Prince Andrew
Image: Yang Tengbo. Pic: Pitch@Palace
Judges banned Mr Yang from the UK, saying his association with a senior royal had made Prince Andrew “vulnerable” and posed a threat to national security. Mr Yang challenged that decision at the Special Immigration Appeals Commission (SIAC).
Since that hearing, media organisations have applied for certain documents relating to the case and Mr Hampshire’s support for Mr Yang to be made public. SIAC agreed to release some information of public interest. It is hoped they may include more details on deals that he was trying to do on behalf of Prince Andrew.
So what do we know about potential deals for Pitch@Palace so far?
In February, Sky News confirmed that palace officials had a meeting last summer with tech funding company StartupBootcamp to discuss a potential tie-up between them and Prince Andrew relating to his Pitch@Palace project.
More on Prince Andrew
Related Topics:
The palace wasn’t involved in the fine details of a deal but wanted guarantees to make sure it wouldn’t impact the Royal Family in the future. Sky News understands from one source that the price being discussed for Pitch was around £750,000 – there are, however, reports that a deal may have stalled.
Photos we found on the Chinese Chamber of Commerce website show an event held in Asia between StartupBootcamp and Innovate Global, believed to be an offshoot of Pitch.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
2:08
Who is alleged Chinese spy, Yang Tengbo?
Documents, released in relation to the investigations into Mr Tengbo, have also shown how much the duke has always seen Pitch as a way of potentially making money. One document from 21 August 2021 clearly states “the duke needed money at the time, and saw the relationships with China through Pitch as one possible source of funding”.
But Prince Andrew’s apparent intention to use Pitch to make money has led to concerns about whether he is unfairly using the contacts and information he gained when he was a working royal.
Norman Baker, former MP and author of books on royal finances, believes it is “a crude attempt to enrich himself” and goes against what the tech entrepreneurs thought they were signing up for.
He told Sky News: “The data given by these business people was given on the basis it was an official operation and not something for Prince Andrew, and so in my view, Prince Andrew had no right legally or morally to take the data which has been collected, a huge amount of data, and sell it…
“And quite clearly if you’re going to sell it off to StartupBootcamp, that is not what people had in mind. The entrepreneurs who joined Pitch@Palace did not do so to enrich Prince Andrew,” he said.
Rich Wilson was one tech entrepreneur who was approached at the start of Pitch@Palace to sign up, but he stepped away when he spotted a clause in the contract saying they’d be entitled to 2% equity in any funding he secured.
He feels Prince Andrew is continuing to use those he made a show of supporting.
He said: “It makes me feel sick. I think it’s terrible – that he is continuing to exploit unsuspecting tech founders in this way. A lot of them, I’m quite grey and old in the tooth now, I saw it coming, but clearly most didn’t. And a lot of them were quite young.
“It’ll be their first venture and you’re learning on the trot, so to speak. So to take advantage of people in such a major way – that’s an awful, sickening thing to do.”
We approached StartupBootcamp who said they had no comment to make, and the Duke of York’s office did not respond.
With reports that a deal may have stalled, it could be a big setback for the duke – especially with questions still about how he’ll continue to pay for his home on the Windsor estate now that the King no longer gives him financial support.