Immigration minister Robert Jenrick is visiting Mediterranean countries this week as part of a government focus on tackling illegal migration.
He will be visiting Algeria, Tunisia and Italy, before heading to France.
The Times reports the Italian government is expecting 400,000 people to enter the country from North Africa this year – in forecasts prepared for right-wing leader Giorgia Meloni’s first full year in office as prime minister.
Mr Jenrick, who works under Home Secretary Suella Braverman, will meet ministers and officials.
According to the Home Office, he will “receive threat briefings to inform the UK’s approach to preventing illegal migration”.
The trip comes as the government launches an advertising campaign in Albania to warn people they face being detained and deported if they attempt to come to the UK.
With the weather improving, the number attempting the crossing is expected to increase.
More on Migrant Crossings
Related Topics:
The Conservatives – and Prime Minister Rishi Sunak – have made tackling illegal migration a priority after record numbers crossed the Channel in small boats in 2022.
At least 45,728 made the journey last year – and 7,297 so far in 2023, according to official figures.
Image: The number arriving in the UK on small boats by month. Pic: Home Office
Mr Jenrick said: “Organised immigration crime is a global challenge which requires international solutions the whole way along the migration route.
“That includes working proactively at source before people set off on dangerous and unnecessary journeys.
“We are determined to stop the boats and the campaign, launching in Albania this week, is just one component of the Home Office’s work upstream to help dispel myths about illegal travel to the UK, explain the realities, and combat the lies pedalled by evil people-smugglers who profit from this vile trade.”
The death toll from a fire that tore through a Hong Kong apartment complex has risen.
Investigators are searching for bodies in the residential towers of Wang Fuk Court, where the blaze erupted on Wednesday.
Authorities say 146 bodies have now been found, rising from a previous reported total of 128.
Image: A girl places flowers in front of the fire-damaged residential blocks at Wang Fuk Court. Pic: Reuters
Shuk-yin Tsang, the head of the Hong Kong police casualty unit, said another 100 people remained unaccounted for, and 79 people were injured.
Flames spread through seven of the eight towers of the complex, and the fire was not fully extinguished until Friday.
Police said they had completed searches through four of the affected buildings.
But a city official said they expected the search process to take three to four weeks.
Image: People line up to offer flowers and prayers for the victims of the fire at Wang Fuk Court. Pic: AP
The burnt towers
Cheng Ka-chun, the police officer leading the search, said bodies had been found both in apartments and on the roofs.
He said: “It is so dark inside, and because of the low light, it is very difficult to do the work, especially in places away from the windows.”
Before the fire broke out, the towers had been undergoing renovations and were clad in bamboo scaffolding, draped with nylon netting, with windows covered by polystyrene panels.
Residents say they repeatedly warned about the potential flammability of the materials, but were told by the authorities that they faced “relatively low fire risks”.
Image: Smoke rises after a fire broke out at Wang Fuk Court. Pic: AP
Image: Firefighters work to extinguish the fire. Pic: AP
Now the authorities are investigating whether fire codes were violated amid growing public anger over the blaze.
Beijing has warned it will use a national security law to crack down on any “anti-China” protests that result.
Eyewitness: Hong Kong mourns those lost to fire
Grief was not lonely today in Hong Kong. Three days after the worst fire in the history of modern Hong Kong, it feels as though it has barely sunk in.
The weekend at least lent them time to pay tribute, and gave them some space to reflect.
People came in droves to lay flowers, so many a queuing system was needed.
Official books of condolences were also set up in multiple parts of the city.
Over 1,000 people turned out on Sunday to pay tribute to the victims of the fire, which was Hong Kong’s deadliest in more than 75 years.
Mourners queued for more than a kilometre to lay flowers, some with sticky notes attached addressed to the victims.
Image: People leave notes with well-wishes after the deadly fire. Pic: Reuters
Joey Yeung, whose grandmother’s apartment burned in the fire, asked for justice.
The 28-year-old said: “I can’t accept it. So today I came with my father and my family to lay flowers.
“I’m not asking to get anything back but at least give some justice to the families of the deceased – to those who are still alive.”
Another mourner, Lian Shuzheng, said: “This really serves as a wake-up call for everyone, especially with these super high-rise buildings.”
Image: People offer flowers for the victims. Pic: AP
Image: People offer flowers and pray for the victims. Pic: AP
‘Serious deficiencies’ in safety
An online petition demanding an independent probe into possible corruption and a review of construction oversight drew over 10,000 signatures before it was closed.
Another petition with similar demands attracted more than 2,700 signatures with its plea for “explicit accountability” from the government.
City officials have announced they were suspending 28 building projects undertaken by the contractor that was renovating Wang Fuk Court, the Prestige Construction & Engineering Company.
They said the fire had “exposed serious deficiencies” in the safety of the company’s sites, “including the extensive use of foam boards to block up windows during building repairs”.
Image: The burned towers and makeshift flower memorial. Pic: Reuters
The day after the fire broke out, two directors and an engineering consultant from a construction firm were arrested on suspicion of manslaughter.
Police said they also suspected the company’s leaders of gross negligence, without identifying the firm by name.
The three men were released on bail, but then rearrested by Hong Kong’s anti-corruption authorities, who made a further eight arrests.
The death toll following flooding and landslides in Indonesia and Thailand has risen to more than 600 – with nearby Sri Lanka also reporting more than 200 deaths after a cyclone.
Three people have also died in Malaysia, officials have said, due to the extreme weather in South Asia and Southeast Asia.
In total, Indonesianofficials said 442 people had died and Thaiauthorities reported 170 deaths in the southern part of the country, as of midday UK time on Sunday.
Image: People move a car damaged by floods in Songkhla province, Southern Thailand. Pic: AP
Image: Rescuers search for flood victims in Tanah Datar, West Sumatra, Indonesia. Pic: AP
Rescue efforts were ongoing throughout the day, with more than four million people affected – almost three million in Southern Thailand and 1.1 million in Western Indonesia – by the effects of a tropical storm formed in the Malacca Strait.
Indonesian relief and rescue teams have used helicopters to deliver aid to people they could not access because of blocked roads on the western island of Sumatra.
Image: Rescuers search for victims at the site of a landslide in Adiankoting, North Sumatra, Indonesia. Pic: AP
Many areas have been cut off, while damage to telecommunications infrastructure has hampered communications.
Officials said on Saturday that they had received reports of people looting supply lines as they grow desperate for relief in other areas.
Datawrapper
This content is provided by Datawrapper, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Datawrapper cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.
Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Datawrapper cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Datawrapper cookies for this session only.
Hat Yai, the largest city in Thailand’s Songkhla province, received 335mm (13 inches) of rain on Friday last week, its highest single-day tally in 300 years.
After days of rain, meteorological authorities in Malaysia lifted tropical storm and continuous rain warnings there yesterday, forecasting clear skies for most of the country.
However, there are still about 18,700 people in evacuation centres, according to the country’s national disaster management agency.
Image: A road heavily damaged by a flash flood in Bireun, Aceh province, Indonesia. Pic: AP
Image: A soldier uses ropes to cross a river during a search operation in Tanah Datar, West Sumatra, Indonesia. Pic: AP
More than 200 dead in Sri Lanka
Across the Bay of Bengal, Sri Lanka’s disaster management centre said in a situation report on Sunday that 212 people had died as a result of Cyclone Ditwah.
Another 218 people have been recorded as missing across the South Asian country’s 25 districts, and more than half a million people have been affected nationwide.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who is facing a long-running corruption trial, has submitted an official request to the country’s president to pardon him.
In a video statement, Mr Netanyahu, who is the only sitting PM in Israeli history to stand trial, said the case had divided the country and a pardon would help restore national unity.
He also said the requirement to appear in court three times a week is a distraction that makes it difficult for him to lead.
President Isaac Herzog’s office said it was “an extraordinary request” which carries “significant implications”.
The president will “responsibly and sincerely consider the request” after consulting with “relevant authorities” in the justice ministry and legal departments, his office said.
The US president told Mr Herzog his prime minister had “stood tall for Israel in the face of strong adversaries” and Mr Netanyahu’s “attention cannot be unnecessarily diverted”.
Mr Netanyahu’s trial, which began in 2020, has not yet concluded. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges, which include bribery and fraud.
He was indicted in 2019 in three cases, including allegations of receiving nearly 700,000 shekels (£166,500) in gifts from business representatives.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
2:17
Could Netanyahu get a pardon thanks to Trump?
The prime minister’s request consists of two documents over 111 pages, the president’s office said – a letter signed by Mr Netanyahu’s lawyer, Amit Hadad, as well as a letter signed by Mr Netanyahu himself.
They say a pardon can be issued even before conviction and argue the ongoing trial is preventing Mr Netanyahu from fully performing his duties as prime minister, particularly on critical security and diplomatic issues.
The documents claim the investigation and prosecution of Mr Netanyahu suffered from irregularities, including pressure on witnesses and an effort to target the prime minister.
His long record of service and leadership is also highlighted.
How can you pardon someone who has not been convicted?
This is a truly unprecedented situation – an Israeli prime minister, in the midst of a trial that has already been going on for years, requesting a pardon even though he hasn’t been convicted.
And he is doing so with the backing of the American president, whose goodwill – by contrast to growing international condemnation – now sits at the heart of Israeli government policy.
Benjamin Netanyahu insists he will be exonerated, even if the trial does come to a conclusion. His argument, framed across 111 pages, is that the trial is such a distraction that it is damaging the national interest and affecting his ability to govern.
He also claims that the investigation was fuelled by the malicious intent to incriminate him “at all costs”, despite his decades of public service.
But there will be others who argue the absolute reverse – that the whole structure of justice depends on holding people to account, however powerful they may be.
How, the question will be asked, can you pardon someone who has not been convicted? What sort of a precedent would this set?
We know Donald Trump wants Netanyahu pardoned, and has said so publicly, which leaves President Isaac Herzog in an incredibly difficult spot.
He will want to show his independence, and certainly his advisers are not necessarily Netanyahu supporters. As the president, he is expected to rise above the fray of party politics and make his own decision.
But will he really want to go against Trump – the will of the most powerful man in the world, who has offered such crucial diplomatic support to Israel since returning to office?
And with a general election scheduled for less than a year’s time, how quickly will he come to his conclusion?
PM says trial ‘deepens rifts’
In his video statement, Mr Netanyahu said: “The continuation of the trial tears us apart from within, stirs up this division and deepens rifts.
“I am sure, like many others in the nation, that an immediate conclusion of the trial would greatly help to lower the flames and promote the broad reconciliation that our country so desperately needs.”