Connect with us

Published

on

Boris Johnson focused much of his wrath on the House of Commons privileges committee when resigning as an MP.

In his letter, Mr Johnson said the committee’s “purpose from the beginning has been to find me guilty, regardless of the fact”.

He added that this was “the very definition of a kangaroo court”.

In response, the committee said it had “followed the procedures and the mandate of the House at all times and will continue to do so.

“Mr Johnson has departed from the processes of the House and has impugned the integrity of the House by his statement.

“The committee will meet on Monday to conclude the inquiry and to publish its report promptly. “

What is the privileges committee?

More on Boris Johnson

The House of Commons privileges committee is a cross-party group of MPs which is there to “consider specific matters relating to privileges referred by the House”.

Privilege, in this instance, is the ability of MPs to speak freely in the House of Commons without the threat of legal prosecution – and the ability to self-regulate.

In this case, the committee is regulating whether Boris Johnson deliberately misled them – something which would equate to contempt of parliament.

It was once merged with the committee on standards – but they have since been split, with the standards body now including members who are not MPs.

The standards brief is more broad, and relates to matters of conduct.

Who is on the privileges committee?

It is made up of seven MPs – four Conservatives, two from Labour and one from the SNP.

The MPs are voted onto the committee by their colleagues and reflect the political make-up of the House.

Labour’s Sir Chris Bryant is normally the chair, but recused himself from this investigation as he had already made a number of public comments about partygate.

Instead, senior Labour backbencher and mother of the House Harriet Harman took his place.

The other members are Tories Andy Carter, Alberto Costa, Sir Bernard Jenkin and Sir Charles Walker, as well as Labour’s Yvonne Fovargue and the SNP’s Allan Dorans.

What are their powers?

Technically, the only powers the committee has is to issue a report for the Commons for MPs to consider.

In its findings, it can conclude that an individual has been found to have “committed a contempt” in misleading the House, and it can recommend sanctions – ranging from an oral or written apology through to suspension for a specified period or even expulsion from the Commons.

But it falls to MPs to decide whether to accept the findings of the report and to follow through with any sanction.

If MPs agree to a suspension of 10 sitting days or 14 calendar days upwards, it would have triggered a recall petition for Mr Johnson, allowing his constituents in Uxbridge and South Ruislip to vote on whether to hold a by-election for his seat.

This is now academic, after Mr Johnson announced he is standing down, but the House will still vote on the report.

What did Boris Johnson tell them?

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

March: ‘I did not lie to the House’

Boris Johnson took part in a blockbuster evidence session before the privileges committee earlier this year.

He started, unconventionally, by swearing an oath on a bible to “tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God”.

This meant the testimony was subject to the Perjury Act 1911 – so lying or providing a false account would be a criminal offence.

Not long afterwards, Mr Johnson told the committee that “hand on heart, I did not lie to the House.”

He said it was “absolutely essential for work purposes” to have a leaving “do” for some members of Number 10 staff who left during the pandemic.

The Clerk to the Committee (left) administers the oath to former prime minister Boris Johnson ahead of his evidence to the Privileges Committee at the House of Commons, London. Picture date: Wednesday March 22, 2023.

At one point, he appeared to lose his temper while defending what happened in Number 10 during COVID.

Asked if he would have advised anyone else in the country at the time to hold a large-scale social gathering in the garden, he insisted it “was not a large social gathering, it was a gathering”.

“I really must insist this point, people who say that we were partying in lockdown simply do not know what they are talking about,” he said.

Click to subscribe to the Sky News Daily wherever you get your podcasts

One of his main defences was that he received assurances from senior members of staff that the events were not breaking the rules.

The former MP also attacked the committee – saying their actions were “manifestly unfair”.

Continue Reading

UK

Labour MP Dan Norris arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences

Published

on

By

Labour MP Dan Norris arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences

Labour MP Dan Norris has been arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences.

A Labour Party spokesperson said: “Dan Norris MP was immediately suspended by the Labour Party upon being informed of his arrest.

“We cannot comment further while the police investigation is ongoing.”

Police said a man in his 60s had been arrested on Friday on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl, rape, child abduction and misconduct in a public office.

Sky News has contacted Mr Norris for comment.

Mr Norris, 65, defeated Jacob Rees-Mogg to win the new seat of North East Somerset and Hanham in last year’s general election.

He has also lost the party whip in the House of Commons and has stepped down from his role as chair of the League Against Cruel Sports.

Avon and Somerset Police said in a statement: “In December 2024, we received a referral from another police force relating to alleged non-recent child sex offences having been committed against a girl.

“Most of the offences are alleged to have occurred in the 2000s, but we’re also investigating an alleged offence of rape from the 2020s.

“An investigation, led by officers within Operation Bluestone, our dedicated rape and serious sexual assault investigation team, remains ongoing and at an early stage.

“The victim is being supported and given access to any specialist help or support she needs.

“A man, aged in his 60s, was arrested on Friday (April 4) on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl (under the Sexual Offences Act 1956), rape (under the Sexual Offences Act 2003), child abduction and misconduct in a public office. He’s been released on conditional bail for enquiries to continue.

“This is an active and sensitive investigation, so we’d respectfully ask people not to speculate on the circumstances so our enquiries can continue unhindered.”

Mr Norris first entered Parliament when Tony Blair came to power in 1997 and served as the Wansdyke MP until 2010.

He was an assistant whip under Mr Blair and served as a junior minister under Gordon Brown.

Mr Norris has also been West of England mayor since 2021 but is due to step down ahead of May’s local elections.

A spokesman for the League Against Cruel Sports, a UK-based animal welfare charity which campaigns to end sports such as fox hunting and game bird shooting, confirmed he had stepped down from his role.

“The charity cannot comment further while an investigation is ongoing,” a statement said.

Continue Reading

UK

Jaguar Land Rover to ‘pause’ US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Published

on

By

Jaguar Land Rover to 'pause' US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.

The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.

JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.

Follow live updates: Trump’s baseline 10% tariff kicks in

In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.

“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”

The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.

More on Donald Trump

JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.

“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.

Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.

All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.

Read more: A red wall on Wall Street – but Trump seems to believe it will work out

Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.

For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.

Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.

Continue Reading

UK

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Published

on

By

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.

In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.

Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.

They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.

The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.

Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.

“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.

Two fire crews remain at the scene.

Continue Reading

Trending