Connect with us

Published

on

UK regulator appears to soften stance on Microsoft-Activision deal in surprise move

Britain’s competition regulator, the staunchest opponent of Microsoft’s $69 billion acquisition of gaming giant Activision Blizzard, flat out blocked the deal in April.

It appears the U.K. Competitions and Markets Authority may have now had a change of heart.

After a U.S. judge on Tuesday denied the the Federal Trade Commission’s motion for a preliminary injunction to stop Microsoft from completing its purchase of Activision Blizzard, the U.K. CMA said it was ready to go back to the negotiations table with the Redmond giant.

But what assurances can Microsoft offer to the CMA, after previous attempts at concessions have failed?

Why the CMA blocked the Microsoft-Activision deal

The U.K. CMA efficiently blocked the acquisition in April, saying the deal raises competition concerns in the nascent cloud gaming market. Like other regulators, the CMA is concerned that Microsoft could take Activision games and make them exclusive to its own platforms.

Cloud gaming is a technology that enables gamers to access games via remote servers — effectively streaming a game like you would a movie on Netflix. The technology is still in its infancy, but Microsoft is betting big on it becoming a mainstream way of playing games.

“Allowing Microsoft to take such a strong position in the cloud gaming market just as it begins to grow rapidly would risk undermining the innovation that is crucial to the development of these opportunities,” the CMA said in April.

Why did it change course?

The CMA had been aggressively pushing for Microsoft not to purchase Activision — and its decision to relax its stance has come as a surprise to many.

In its statement, the CMA suggested it would open up negotiations with Microsoft to consider proposals to resolve the dispute.

An Activision Blizzard’s Call of Duty: Modern Warfare video game is inserted into the Microsoft’s Xbox One video game console arranged in Denver, Colorado, on Wednesday, Jan. 19, 2022.

Michael Ciaglo | Bloomberg | Getty Images

“We stand ready to consider any proposals from Microsoft to restructure the transaction in a way that would address the concerns set out in our Final Report,” a CMA spokesperson told CNBC via email on Tuesday.

“In order to be able to prioritise work on these proposals, Microsoft and Activision have agreed with the CMA that a stay of litigation in the UK would be in the public interest and all parties have made a joint submission to the Competition Appeal Tribunal to this effect.”

The regulator could have gone ahead and progressed with legal action in the courts. However, this would have been a lengthy and costly process, and may have been particularly bruising for the watchdog, if it were to lose the case.

Alex Haffner, a competition lawyer at law firm Fladgate, told CNBC that the setback to the FTC essentially left the CMA “exposed to being the only regulator that has actually blocked the deal.”

“Why did they do this? You might call it face saving, you might also call it pragmatic, given the circumstances,” he said.

“It’s been backed into a corner and publicly said it’s announced a stay of the appeal to negotiate with Microsoft,” Haffner added. “You add that, together with the political machinations of all of the heat the CMA’s got. It’s pretty nailed on [that] it’s going to negotiate some kind of settlement with the parties.”

What happens next?

The CMA, Microsoft and Activision now look set to hash out a possible resolution to the regulator’s concerns to get a deal over the line.

Microsoft could seek to provide further commitments to the regulator. It’s not yet clear at this stage what those pledges could look like, but Haffner said they would need to be “proportionate to the concerns raised.”

“There will be an intense period of negotiations on both sides they need to get it done quickly,” Haffner told CNBC. “We’ll get it done in a week or so, I’d say.”

Microsoft has a July 18 deadline to complete the deal.

Microsoft President Brad Smith says it's a 'good day for gamers' after Nintendo, Nvidia deals

Microsoft has already offered concessions to the U.K. regulator which were rejected.

One of the remedies involves Microsoft making certain games available on other platforms for a defined period of time. For example, Microsoft said in February that it would bring Xbox PC games to Nvidia’s cloud gaming service. The company also signed a 10-year deal with rival Nintendo to bring Call of Duty to the Japanese firm’s platforms the same day as the game would become available on the Xbox.

To the European Union regulators which approved the deal in May, Microsoft said it would offer royalty-free licenses to cloud gaming platforms to stream Activision games, if a consumer has purchased them. 

But the CMA has rejected similar concessions on the basis that they would be difficult to monitor and enforce, and the rapidly-fluctuating nature of the nascent cloud gaming sector means such as a remedy may not take into account changes in the cloud market.

So Microsoft will need to take another try at a licensing concession.

Will Microsoft have to divest some business?

Prior to softening its stance in its April ruling, the CMA in February gave a notice of possible solutions to Microsoft. One of those was for Microsoft to sell its business associated with the popular Call of Duty game. Other remedies included a divestiture of some of the Activision Blizzard business.

Microsoft President Brad Smith told CNBC in February that he didn’t see a “feasible path” to sell off Call of Duty.

But a divestiture of some sort could be on the cards, according to Dan Ives, analyst at Wedbush Securities. Ives said in a note on Wednesday that Microsoft could carve out its Game Pass subscription service in the U.K. to satisfy the CMA.

Game Pass is Microsoft’s subscription service on the Xbox console and PC, which gives users access to hundreds of games.

Continue Reading

Technology

AI could affect 40% of jobs and widen inequality between nations, UN warns

Published

on

By

AI could affect 40% of jobs and widen inequality between nations, UN warns

Artificial intelligence robot looking at futuristic digital data display.

Yuichiro Chino | Moment | Getty Images

Artificial intelligence is projected to reach $4.8 trillion in market value by 2033, but the technology’s benefits remain highly concentrated, according to the U.N. Trade and Development agency.

In a report released on Thursday, UNCTAD said the AI market cap would roughly equate to the size of Germany’s economy, with the technology offering productivity gains and driving digital transformation. 

However, the agency also raised concerns about automation and job displacement, warning that AI could affect 40% of jobs worldwide. On top of that, AI is not inherently inclusive, meaning the economic gains from the tech remain “highly concentrated,” the report added. 

“The benefits of AI-driven automation often favour capital over labour, which could widen inequality and reduce the competitive advantage of low-cost labour in developing economies,” it said. 

The potential for AI to cause unemployment and inequality is a long-standing concern, with the IMF making similar warnings over a year ago. In January, The World Economic Forum released findings that as many as 41% of employers were planning on downsizing their staff in areas where AI could replicate them.  

However, the UNCTAD report also highlights inequalities between nations, with U.N. data showing that 40% of global corporate research and development spending in AI is concentrated among just 100 firms, mainly those in the U.S. and China. 

Furthermore, it notes that leading tech giants, such as Apple, Nvidia and Microsoft — companies that stand to benefit from the AI boom — have a market value that rivals the gross domestic product of the entire African continent. 

This AI dominance at national and corporate levels threatens to widen those technological divides, leaving many nations at risk of lagging behind, UNCTAD said. It noted that 118 countries — mostly in the Global South — are absent from major AI governance discussions. 

UN recommendations 

But AI is not just about job replacement, the report said, noting that it can also “create new industries and and empower workers” — provided there is adequate investment in reskilling and upskilling.

But in order for developing nations not to fall behind, they must “have a seat at the table” when it comes to AI regulation and ethical frameworks, it said.

In its report, UNCTAD makes a number of recommendations to the international community for driving inclusive growth. They include an AI public disclosure mechanism, shared AI infrastructure, the use of open-source AI models and initiatives to share AI knowledge and resources. 

Open-source generally refers to software in which the source code is made freely available on the web for possible modification and redistribution.

“AI can be a catalyst for progress, innovation, and shared prosperity – but only if countries actively shape its trajectory,” the report concludes. 

“Strategic investments, inclusive governance, and international cooperation are key to ensuring that AI benefits all, rather than reinforcing existing divides.”

Continue Reading

Technology

Nvidia positioned to weather Trump tariffs, chip demand ‘off the charts,’ says Altimeter’s Gerstner

Published

on

By

Nvidia positioned to weather Trump tariffs, chip demand 'off the charts,' says Altimeter's Gerstner

Altimeter CEO Brad Gerstner is buying Nvidia

Altimeter Capital CEO Brad Gerstner said Thursday that he’s moving out of the “bomb shelter” with Nvidia and into a position of safety, expecting that the chipmaker is positioned to withstand President Donald Trump’s widespread tariffs.

“The growth and the demand for GPUs is off the charts,” he told CNBC’s “Fast Money Halftime Report,” referring to Nvidia’s graphics processing units that are powering the artificial intelligence boom. He said investors just need to listen to commentary from OpenAI, Google and Elon Musk.

President Trump announced an expansive and aggressive “reciprocal tariff” policy in a ceremony at the White House on Wednesday. The plan established a 10% baseline tariff, though many countries like China, Vietnam and Taiwan are subject to steeper rates. The announcement sent stocks tumbling on Thursday, with the tech-heavy Nasdaq down more than 5%, headed for its worst day since 2022.

The big reason Nvidia may be better positioned to withstand Trump’s tariff hikes is because semiconductors are on the list of exceptions, which Gerstner called a “wise exception” due to the importance of AI.

Nvidia’s business has exploded since the release of OpenAI’s ChatGPT in 2022, and annual revenue has more than doubled in each of the past two fiscal years. After a massive rally, Nvidia’s stock price has dropped by more than 20% this year and was down almost 7% on Thursday.

Gerstner is concerned about the potential of a recession due to the tariffs, but is relatively bullish on Nvidia, and said the “negative impact from tariffs will be much less than in other areas.”

He said it’s key for the U.S. to stay competitive in AI. And while the company’s chips are designed domestically, they’re manufactured in Taiwan “because they can’t be fabricated in the U.S.” Higher tariffs would punish companies like Meta and Microsoft, he said.

“We’re in a global race in AI,” Gerstner said. “We can’t hamper our ability to win that race.”

WATCH: Brad Gerstner is buying Nvidia

Continue Reading

Technology

YouTube announces Shorts editing features amid potential TikTok ban

Published

on

By

YouTube announces Shorts editing features amid potential TikTok ban

Jaque Silva | Nurphoto | Getty Images

YouTube on Thursday announced new video creation tools for Shorts, its short-form video feed that competes against TikTok. 

The features come at a time when TikTok, which is owned by Chinese company ByteDance, is at risk of an effective ban in the U.S. if it’s not sold to an American owner by April 5.

Among the new tools is an updated video editor that allows creators to make precise adjustments and edits, a feature that automatically syncs video cuts to the beat of a song and AI stickers.

The creator tools will become available later this spring, said YouTube, which is owned by Google

Along with the new features, YouTube last week said it was changing the way view counts are tabulated on Shorts. Under the new guidelines, Shorts views will count the number of times the video is played or replayed with no minimum watch time requirement. 

Previously, views were only counted if a video was played for a certain number of seconds. This new tabulation method is similar to how views are counted on TikTok and Meta’s Reels, and will likely inflate view counts.

“We got this feedback from creators that this is what they wanted. It’s a way for them to better understand when their Shorts have been seen,” YouTube Chief Product Officer Johanna Voolich said in a YouTube video. “It’s useful for creators who post across multiple platforms.”

WATCH: TikTok is a digital Trojan horse, says Hayman Capital’s Kyle Bass

TikTok is a digital Trojan horse, says Hayman Capital's Kyle Bass

Continue Reading

Trending