Connect with us

Published

on

Brad Pitt has paused production on his forthcoming Formula 1 feature film in support of the US actors’ and writers’ strike.

The Hollywood star, 59, had been shooting scenes for the project recently including filming at the Silverstone Circuit ahead of the British Grand Prix earlier this month.

The production has now ground to a halt as Pitt “very much stands” alongside his fellow actor union members, the PA news agency understands.

The film joins a string of productions which have stopped after the Screen Actors Guild – American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (Sag-Aftra) announced a strike on 13 July.

Seven-time world champion Sir Lewis Hamilton is acting as co-producer on the currently untitled Apple film, which is being made in collaboration with F1, providing the project with special access to the race tracks and drivers.

In the film, the Fight Club star plays a driver who competed in the 1990s but moved to racing in other disciplines after suffering a horrible crash.

It follows the driver coming out of retirement to compete alongside a rookie, played by Damson Idris, for the fictional APXGP team which is sitting at the bottom of the leaderboard.

The actors’ strike came after the union failed to reach agreement on a number of issues, including pay and the use of artificial intelligence, with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which represents the major film studios, TV networks and streaming giants.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Why has the Emmys been postponed?

Hollywood stars are among the 160,000 actors on strike, joining the 11,500 members of the Writers Guild of America, who walked out on 2 May.

Deadpool 3, which stars Ryan Reynolds in the titular role, has also paused filming in London due to the strike.

The cast of Christopher Nolan’s new movie Oppenheimer walked out of the London premiere earlier this month as news of the impending strike broke, and planned junkets for films including Barbie have also been affected.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Strike: Hollywood stars gather in London

Read more:
US actors’ strike: Why are Hollywood stars walking out?
Succession star Brian Cox says Hollywood strike could last until end of 2023

On Friday, it was confirmed the Emmy Awards, which were due to be held in September, have been postponed due to the strikes.

Rules laid out by the actors’ union say stars cannot campaign for the Emmys or attend award shows while undertaking industrial action.

Click to subscribe to Backstage wherever you get your podcasts

Continue Reading

Entertainment

PM’s rap battle with Sky’s Beth Rigby goes viral – and one of the AI satirists behind it explains why

Published

on

By

PM's rap battle with Sky's Beth Rigby goes viral - and one of the AI satirists behind it explains why

Satire has long been an occupational hazard for politicians – and while it has long been cartoons or shows like Spitting Image, content created by artificial intelligence (AI) is increasingly becoming the norm.

A new page called the Crewkerne Gazette has been going viral in recent days for their videos using the new technology to satirise Rachel Reeves and other politicians around the budget.

On Sky’s Politics Hub, our presenter Darren McCaffrey spoke to one of the people behind the viral sensations, who is trying to remain anonymous.

He said: “A lot of people are drawing comparisons between us and Spitting Image, actually, and Spitting Image was great back in the day, but I kind of feel like recently they’ve not really covered a lot of what’s happening.

“So we are the new and improved Spitting Image, the much better Have I Got News For You?”

He added that those kinds of satire shows don’t seem to be engaging with younger people – but claimed his own output is “incredibly good at doing” just that.

Examples of videos from the Crewkerne Gazette includes a rapping Kemi Badenoch and Rachel Reeves advertising leaky storage containers.

More on Beth Rigby Interviews

They even satirised our political editor Beth Rigby’s interview with the prime minister on Thursday, when he defended measures in the budget and insisted they did not break their manifesto pledge by raising taxes.

“Crewkerne Man” says providing satire for younger people is important as Labour is lowering the voting age.

Asked why he is trying to be anonymous, the man said the project is not about one person – or even the whole group – but rather their output.

He also claimed the UK is “increasingly seeing arrests – especially with comedians”, pointing to the Graham Linehan case.

“So we just never know where the Labour Party is going to drive the policy next, in regards to free speech,” he said.

“So for me, certainly it’s a matter of safety.”

Watch Beth Rigby’s actual interview with Sir Keir Starmer below.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

The prime minister defends the budget

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Tilly Norwood: Creator of AI actress insists she’s not designed to steal jobs

Published

on

By

Tilly Norwood: Creator of AI actress insists she's not designed to steal jobs

The creator of an AI actress has told Sky News that synthetic performers will get more actors working, rather than steal jobs.

AI production studio Particle6 has ruffled feathers in Hollywood by unveiling Tilly Norwood – a 20-something actress created by artificial intelligence.

Speaking to Sky News’ Dominic Waghorn, actor and comedian Eline Van der Velden – who founded Particle6 – insisted Norwood is “not meant to take jobs in the traditional film”.

AI entertainment is “developing as a completely separate genre”, she said, adding: “And that’s where Tilly is meant to stay. She’s meant to stay in the AI genre and be a star in that.”

“I don’t want her to take real actors’ jobs,” she continued. “I wanted to have her own creative path.”

Norwood has been labelled “really, really scary” by Mary Poppins Returns star Emily Blunt, while the US actors’ union SAG-AFTRA said in a statement: “Tilly Norwood is not an actor, it’s a character generated by a computer program that was trained on the work of countless professional performers – without permission or compensation.”

Responding to the criticism, Ms Van der Velden argued that Hollywood is “going to have to learn how to work with [AI] going forward”.

“We can’t stop it,” she said. “If we put our head in the sand, then our jobs will be gone. However, instead, if we learn how to use these tools, if we use it going forward, especially in Britain, we can be that creative powerhouse.”

Eline Van der Velden said she wanted the character to 'have her own creative path'
Image:
Eline Van der Velden said she wanted the character to ‘have her own creative path’

Read more:
How AI music is fooling most of us
Tom Hollander ‘not scared’ of AI star

Ms Van der Velden said her studio has already helped a number of projects that were struggling due to budget constraints.

“Some productions get stuck, not able to find the last 30% of their budget, and so they don’t go into production,” she said. “Now with AI, by replacing some of the shots […] we can actually get that production going and working. So as a result, we get more jobs, we get more actors working, so that’s all really, really positive news.”

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Sally Rooney tells court new books may not be published in UK due to Palestine Action ban

Published

on

By

Sally Rooney tells court new books may not be published in UK due to Palestine Action ban

Irish author Sally Rooney has told the High Court she may not be able to publish new books in the UK, and may have to withdraw previous titles from sale, because of the ban on Palestine Action.

The group’s co-founder Huda Ammori is taking legal action against the Home Office over the decision to proscribe Palestine Action under anti-terror laws in July.

The ban made being a member of, or supporting, Palestine Action a criminal offence punishable by up to 14 years in prison.

Rooney was in August warned that she risked committing a terrorist offence after saying she would donate earnings from her books, and the TV adaptations of Normal People and Conversations With Friends, to support Palestine Action.

In a witness statement made public on Thursday, Rooney said the producer of the BBC dramas said they had been advised that they could not send money to her agent if the funds could be used to fund the group, as that would be a crime under anti-terror laws.

Rooney added that it was “unclear” whether any UK company can pay her, stating that if she is prevented from profiting from her work, her income would be “enormously restricted”.

More on Palestine Action

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Why was Palestine Action proscribed?

She added: “If I were to write another screenplay, television show or similar creative work, I would not be able to have it produced or distributed by a company based in England and Wales without, expressly or tacitly, accepting that I would not be paid.”

Rooney described how the publication of her books is based on royalties on sales, and that non-payment of royalties would mean she can terminate her contract.

“If, therefore, Faber and Faber Limited are legally prohibited from paying me the royalties I am owed, my existing works may have to be withdrawn from sale and would therefore no longer be available to readers in the UK,” Rooney added, saying this would be “a truly extreme incursion by the state into the realm of artistic expression”.

Rooney added that it is “almost certain” that she cannot publish or produce new work in the UK while the Palestine Action ban remains in force.

She said: “If Palestine Action is still proscribed by the time my next book is due for publication, then that book will be available to readers all over the world and in dozens of languages, but will be unavailable to readers in the United Kingdom simply because no one will be permitted to publish it, unless I am content to give it away for free.”

Sir James Eadie KC, barrister for the Home Office, said in a written submission that the ban’s aim is “stifling organisations concerned in terrorism and for members of the public to face criminal liability for joining or supporting such organisations”.

“That serves to ensure proscribed organisations are deprived of the oxygen of publicity as well as both vocal and financial support,” he continued.

The High Court hearing is due to conclude on 2 December, with a decision expected in writing at a later date.

Continue Reading

Trending