Connect with us

Published

on

Lake Como in northern Italy’s Lombardy region.

Westend61 | Westend61 | Getty Images

John and Roman Cresto made millions of dollars selling themselves as e-commerce “experts” who could teach regular consumers and investors the secret to selling success on Amazon and Walmart, for a price.

They splashed lavish vacations and high-end cars across their social media account, creating a multimillion-dollar image of success that federal regulators now say was fueled by falsehoods and deception. 

The case is the latest example of the  Federal Trade Commission cracking down on deceptive e-commerce consultancies that target consumers and fledgling online businesses. A robust industry of consultants and agencies, often referred to as “coaches” or “gurus,” have emerged as retailers increasingly move online and marketplaces on sites such as Amazon and Walmart flourish. These coaches often claim to have struck it rich in e-commerce and will pass along their expertise to users who pay for expensive courses with no guarantee of success. 

The FTC on Tuesday asked a judge to bar the Cresto brothers from doing business temporarily, in connection with a lawsuit the agency filed earlier this month in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California. 

The Cresto brothers “promised to expertly manage the operations of automated online stores” on both Amazon and Walmart through their companies, including Empire Ecommerce, doing everything from finding products to fulfilling orders, the complaint says. They charged consumers anywhere from $10,000 to $125,000 for the initial investment, and $15,000 to $80,000 in additional funding as working capital, the FTC alleged.

The Cresto brothers also took 35% of any profits from their “partners'” e-commerce stores, the complaint says. By June 2022, less than 10% of Empire-managed stores generated sales, the FTC alleged. By October 2022, Amazon had either suspended or terminated most of those stores for violating its policies around intellectual property and a business method called dropshipping, where companies never actually have the inventory they’re selling, and instead order products through a manufacturer after a shopper makes a purchase, the complaint says. The majority of Empire’s storefronts on Walmart’s marketplace were either never activated or terminated for policy violations, according to the FTC. 

Despite the suspensions, Empire for years continued to falsely promote the success of its Amazon businesses by recruiting affiliate marketers to post splashy videos online claiming they made “significant passive income” through Empire’s automation services. Empire was able to lure more than 60 new clients through this affiliate marketing scheme and netted over $1.5 million in commission fees, the FTC alleged. 

“In truth, most of Empire’s clients lost money and virtually none made the advertised amounts,” the agency wrote in its complaint.

The suspensions left Empire’s clients deeply in debt, the FTC alleged, “because Empire typically had its clients pay for inventory on credit cards.” Empire refused to refund victims tens of thousands of dollars that victims had paid out to Empire or for goods sold, the FTC alleged.

The two brothers made more than $22 million from their clients, the FTC alleged.

The millions that the Crestos diverted for themselves were spent on high-end cars, vacations and even a luxury wedding in Italy, according to the FTC complaint and social media posts.

At the beginning of this year, after selling Empire, the Crestos spun up a new business called Automators AI, which claims to teach consumers how to use artificial intelligence to become online sellers making “over $10,000 per month in sales,” and use popular AI chatbot ChatGPT to create customer service scripts, the FTC alleged. The scheme is ongoing and defrauding consumers of tens of thousands of dollars, according to the FTC.

Amazon and Walmart did not immediately respond to CNBC’s requests for comment.

A fire sale exit

As the clock ran down on Empire’s alleged fraudulent behavior, the Cresto brothers attempted to pawn off their businesses to another operator, Daniel Cohen. 

Cohen is now suing the Crestos, alleging that they deceived him about the true state of the business and used him to deflect blame from themselves.

In October 2022 — the same month the FTC alleged most of Empire’s working Amazon stores had been suspended — the Cresto brothers approached Cohen, a Florida businessman, about buying their empire. Roman Cresto showed projections that suggested his business was strong and highly profitable.

Cohen told CNBC in an interview that the Crestos first messaged him via Instagram and that they met over Zoom later that month. John Cresto assured Cohen in that Zoom meeting that Empire was not facing any litigation or major concerns, beyond a “couple” of unhappy clients.

“It was something I asked them, because I do know this industry,” Cohen told CNBC. The Crestos also offered him projections that claimed Empire collected up to 50% of profit from the thousands of stores they supposedly operated.

“I’m not sure where they got their projections from,” Cohen told CNBC. “Maybe at some point they did have a store that performed well, and maybe they just used that result for everybody, but I believe most of it was likely made up.”

Cohen agreed to buy the Crestos’ business Nov. 7, 2022, wiring them $100,000 the following day. Two days later, the Crestos revealed five ongoing “legal disputes” being handled by their defense firm, Stubbs Alderton & Markiles. 

“I paid Roman 490k total for 6 stores … between LLC set-ups/fees, credit card feeding, virtual store fees, their software on several that they told me would push my stores to the top, etc, etc, they scammed me for well over $525k total,” one email from a client read, according to Cohen’s lawsuit.

Dozens more complaints were languishing in an inbox, detailing alleged negligence or “shady” dealings by the Cresto brothers.

“I paid you guys $65k for a experienced store. Since starting my store has done no where near the projections. Now my store has stopped having any sales at all. I need to know why this is and what happened. I am starting to feel like I was scammed and I need to get my lawyer involved,” read another email cited in Cohen’s lawsuit.

Cohen also told CNBC that Stubbs Alderton & Markiles agreed to serve as his law firm, before firing him as a client and telling Cohen that they would now represent the Cresto brothers.

“From a moral perspective. It just doesn’t smell right,” Cohen’s present attorney, Nima Tahmassebi, told CNBC.

Attorneys at Stubbs Alderton & Markiles did not respond to CNBC’s inquiries about their handling of the cases. The Cresto brothers did not respond to CNBC’s request for comment.

WATCH: Amazon cracks down on stolen goods

Amazon cracks down on the sale of stolen merchandise

Continue Reading

Technology

Nvidia positioned to weather Trump tariffs, chip demand ‘off the charts,’ says Altimeter’s Gerstner

Published

on

By

Nvidia positioned to weather Trump tariffs, chip demand 'off the charts,' says Altimeter's Gerstner

Altimeter CEO Brad Gerstner is buying Nvidia

Altimeter Capital CEO Brad Gerstner said Thursday that he’s moving out of the “bomb shelter” with Nvidia and into a position of safety, expecting that the chipmaker is positioned to withstand President Donald Trump’s widespread tariffs.

“The growth and the demand for GPUs is off the charts,” he told CNBC’s “Fast Money Halftime Report,” referring to Nvidia’s graphics processing units that are powering the artificial intelligence boom. He said investors just need to listen to commentary from OpenAI, Google and Elon Musk.

President Trump announced an expansive and aggressive “reciprocal tariff” policy in a ceremony at the White House on Wednesday. The plan established a 10% baseline tariff, though many countries like China, Vietnam and Taiwan are subject to steeper rates. The announcement sent stocks tumbling on Thursday, with the tech-heavy Nasdaq down more than 5%, headed for its worst day since 2022.

The big reason Nvidia may be better positioned to withstand Trump’s tariff hikes is because semiconductors are on the list of exceptions, which Gerstner called a “wise exception” due to the importance of AI.

Nvidia’s business has exploded since the release of OpenAI’s ChatGPT in 2022, and annual revenue has more than doubled in each of the past two fiscal years. After a massive rally, Nvidia’s stock price has dropped by more than 20% this year and was down almost 7% on Thursday.

Gerstner is concerned about the potential of a recession due to the tariffs, but is relatively bullish on Nvidia, and said the “negative impact from tariffs will be much less than in other areas.”

He said it’s key for the U.S. to stay competitive in AI. And while the company’s chips are designed domestically, they’re manufactured in Taiwan “because they can’t be fabricated in the U.S.” Higher tariffs would punish companies like Meta and Microsoft, he said.

“We’re in a global race in AI,” Gerstner said. “We can’t hamper our ability to win that race.”

WATCH: Brad Gerstner is buying Nvidia

Continue Reading

Technology

YouTube announces Shorts editing features amid potential TikTok ban

Published

on

By

YouTube announces Shorts editing features amid potential TikTok ban

Jaque Silva | Nurphoto | Getty Images

YouTube on Thursday announced new video creation tools for Shorts, its short-form video feed that competes against TikTok. 

The features come at a time when TikTok, which is owned by Chinese company ByteDance, is at risk of an effective ban in the U.S. if it’s not sold to an American owner by April 5.

Among the new tools is an updated video editor that allows creators to make precise adjustments and edits, a feature that automatically syncs video cuts to the beat of a song and AI stickers.

The creator tools will become available later this spring, said YouTube, which is owned by Google

Along with the new features, YouTube last week said it was changing the way view counts are tabulated on Shorts. Under the new guidelines, Shorts views will count the number of times the video is played or replayed with no minimum watch time requirement. 

Previously, views were only counted if a video was played for a certain number of seconds. This new tabulation method is similar to how views are counted on TikTok and Meta’s Reels, and will likely inflate view counts.

“We got this feedback from creators that this is what they wanted. It’s a way for them to better understand when their Shorts have been seen,” YouTube Chief Product Officer Johanna Voolich said in a YouTube video. “It’s useful for creators who post across multiple platforms.”

WATCH: TikTok is a digital Trojan horse, says Hayman Capital’s Kyle Bass

TikTok is a digital Trojan horse, says Hayman Capital's Kyle Bass

Continue Reading

Technology

Tech stocks sink after Trump tariff rollout — Apple heads for worst drop in 5 years

Published

on

By

Tech stocks sink after Trump tariff rollout — Apple heads for worst drop in 5 years

CEO of Meta and Facebook Mark Zuckerberg, Lauren Sanchez, Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, Google CEO Sundar Pichai, and Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk attend the inauguration ceremony before Donald Trump is sworn in as the 47th U.S. president in the U.S. Capitol Rotunda in Washington, Jan. 20, 2025.

Saul Loeb | Via Reuters

Technology stocks plummeted Thursday after President Donald Trump’s new tariff policies sparked widespread market panic.

Apple led the declines among the so-called “Magnificent Seven” group, dropping nearly 9%. The iPhone maker makes its devices in China and other Asian countries. The stock is on pace for its steepest drop since 2020.

Other megacaps also felt the pressure. Meta Platforms and Amazon fell more than 7% each, while Nvidia and Tesla slumped more than 5%. Nvidia builds its new chips in Taiwan and relies on Mexico for assembling its artificial intelligence systems. Microsoft and Alphabet both fell about 2%.

Semiconductor stocks also felt the pain, with Marvell Technology, Arm Holdings and Micron Technology falling more than 8% each. Broadcom and Lam Research dropped 6%, while Advanced Micro Devices declined more than 4% Software stocks ServiceNow and Fortinet fell more than 5% each.

Read more CNBC tech news

The drop in technology stocks came amid a broader market selloff spurred by fears of a global trade war after Trump unveiled a blanket 10% tariff on all imported goods and a range of higher duties targeting specific countries after the bell Wednesday. He said the new tariffs would be a “declaration of economic independence” for the U.S.

Companies and countries worldwide have already begun responding to the wide-sweeping policy, which included a 34% tariff on China stacked on a previous 20% tax, a 46% duty on Vietnam and a 20% levy on imports from the European Union.

China’s Ministry of Commerce urged the U.S. to “immediately cancel” the unilateral tariff measures and said it would take “resolute counter-measures.”

The tariffs come on the heels of a rough quarter for the tech-heavy Nasdaq and the worst period for the index since 2022. Stocks across the board have come under pressure over concerns of a weakening U.S. economy. The Nasdaq Composite dropped nearly 5% on Thursday, bringing its year-to-date loss to 13%.

Trump applauded some megacap technology companies for investing money into the U.S. during his speech, calling attention to Apple’s plan to spend $500 billion over the next four years.

Evercore ISI's Amit Daryanani on keeping Apple's outperform rating despite tariffs

Continue Reading

Trending