Los Angeles Dodgers general manager Andrew Friedman said Julio Urías‘ arrest on felony domestic violence charges was “extremely disappointing” and noted that the organization is considering multiple options for its pitching staff in light of the left-hander’s uncertain future.
Friedman and manager Dave Roberts both addressed reporters Tuesday in the Dodgers’ most extensive commentary since Urías was arrested late Sunday in Los Angeles. It marked the second domestic violence arrest in the past four years for Urías, who is not with the Dodgers on their six-game road trip.
“Obviously, extremely disappointing development,” Friedman said. “For us right now, it’s having him and his representatives resolve this while we’re focused on both the near and long term.”
Roberts said he was “shocked” when he was informed of Urías’ arrest.
“I was shocked — everyone was,” Roberts said before the Dodgers’ loss Tuesday to the Miami Marlins. “It is just an extremely unfortunate circumstance for everyone.”
Major League Baseball has opened an investigation into Urías’ arrest, and the eight-year veteran is expected to be placed on administrative leave before his next scheduled start on Thursday.
Urías, 27, also was arrested on suspicion of domestic battery in May 2019 and was suspended 20 games by MLB, but he wasn’t prosecuted by the Los Angeles city attorney on the condition he complete a 52-week domestic violence counseling program. No player has been suspended twice under MLB’s joint domestic violence policy since it was established in 2015.
Neither Friedman nor Roberts would comment Tuesday when asked whether they anticipated Urías returning to the Dodgers this season. Urías, who posted $50,000 bail and was released early Monday morning, is due in court Sept. 27.
“We don’t know anything more today than we knew yesterday,” Friedman said, according to The Athletic. “Our guys are pros. Obviously, they’re concerned about the situation. … But they’re also pros and they’re focused on going out tonight and winning a baseball game. That doesn’t mean they’re not concerned but they’re able to shift their focus and lock in on the task at hand.”
“For us, now it’s day to day,” Roberts said. “I don’t want to get too far ahead of things. As time’s gone on with certain things, you learn that simplifying, day to day, is the best way to handle it.”
The Dodgers (84-53) enter Wednesday with a 14-game lead atop the National League West and are close to clinching their 11th consecutive postseason appearance. The loss of Urías, who has a 3.68 ERA in 23 career postseason appearances, would leave the Dodgers with a relatively thin rotation after veterans Clayton Kershaw and Lance Lynn.
“There are still so many unknowns that we haven’t wrapped our arms around that yet,” Friedman said. “We feel like we’re going to have a lot of talent on our pitching staff in October. We might not know exactly who the 13 are going to be right now, but we feel very confident that we will be bringing some big-boy stuff to the table.”
Injured starters Tony Gonsolin and Dustin May are out for the remainder of the season for the Dodgers, who hope to have Walker Buehler back on their pitching staff before the end of the season.
The two-time All-Star right-hander is expected to make a minor league rehab start Friday as he continues his return from Tommy John surgery, but Roberts said that Urias’ situation would have “no bearing on [Buehler’s] progression.”
Dodgers rookies Bobby Miller, Emmet Sheehan and Ryan Pepiot all have flashed potential as starting pitchers this season and could end up as part of their postseason rotation. Sheehan, who is still on Los Angeles’ roster, and Pepiot, who was optioned to the minors last week, are candidates to fill Urías’ rotation spot for Thursday’s series finale in Miami.
“We’ll address it, if it gets to that point,” Roberts said. “But we do have a lot of viable options in-house, guys that have experience and have performed. I don’t want to go too far down that road, but we’ve still got a lot of good players if it gets to that point.”
A Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department spokesperson said Tuesday that Urías was arrested on a felony charge of corporal injury on a spouse or cohabitant. The arrest took place in Exposition Park, south of downtown Los Angeles. The park is home to BMO Stadium, where Lionel Messi and Inter Miami were playing in an MLS game with numerous celebrities in attendance.
Corporal injury on a spouse requires a bodily injury being willfully caused by physical force.
Urías is 11-8 with a 4.60 ERA in 21 starts this season and is set to become a free agent after the World Series. He is pitching on a $14.25 million, one-year contract in his final season of salary arbitration eligibility.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
ESPN baseball reporter. Covered the Washington Wizards from 2014 to 2016 and the Washington Nationals from 2016 to 2018 for The Washington Post before covering the Los Angeles Dodgers and MLB for the Los Angeles Times from 2018 to 2024.
When New York Mets president of baseball operations David Stearns attempted to assemble the best possible roster for the 2025 season this winter, the top priority was signing outfielder Juan Soto. Next was the need to replenish the starting rotation and bolster the bullpen. Then, days before pitchers and catchers reported for spring training, the lineup received one final significant reinforcement when first baseman Pete Alonso re-signed.
Acquiring a player with a singing career on the side didn’t make the cut.
“No, that is not on the list,” Stearns said with a smile.
Stearns’ decision not to re-sign Jose Iglesias, the infielder behind the mic for the viral 2024 Mets anthem “OMG,” was attributed to creating more roster flexibility. But it also hammered home a reality: The scrappy 2024 Mets, authors of a magical summer in Queens, are a thing of the past. The 2025 Mets, who will report to Citi Field for their home opener Friday, have much of the same core but also some prominent new faces — and the new, outsized expectations that come with falling two wins short of the World Series, then signing Soto to the richest contract in professional sports history.
But there’s a question surrounding this year’s team that you can’t put a price tag on: Can these Mets rekindle the magic — the vibes, the memes, the feel-good underdog story — that seemed to come out of nowhere to help carry them to Game 6 of the National League Championship Series last season?
“Last year the culture was created,” Mets shortstop Francisco Lindor said. “It’s a matter of continuing it.”
For all the success Stearns has engineered — his small-market Milwaukee Brewers teams reached the postseason five times in eight seasons after he became the youngest general manager in history in 2015 — the 40-year-old Harvard grad, like the rest of his front office peers knows there’s no precise recipe for clubhouse chemistry. There is no culture projection system. No Vibes Above Replacement.
“Culture is very important,” Stearns said last weekend in the visiting dugout at Daikin Park before his club completed an opening-weekend series against the Houston Astros. “Culture is also very difficult to predict.”
Still, it seems the Mets’ 2024 season will be all but impossible to recreate.
There was Grimace, the purple McDonald’s blob who spontaneously became the franchise’s unofficial mascot after throwing out a first pitch in June. “OMG,” performed under Iglesias’ stage name, Candelita, debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard Latin Digital Songs chart, before a remix featuring Pitbull was released in October. Citi Field became a karaoke bar whenever Lindor stepped into the batter’s box with The Temptations’ “My Girl” as his walk-up song. Alonso unveiled a lucky pumpkin in October. They were gimmicks that might have felt forced if they hadn’t felt so right.
“I don’t know if what we did last year could be replicated because it was such a chaos-filled group,” Mets reliever Ryne Stanek said. “I don’t know if that’s replicable because there’s just too many things going on. I don’t know if that’s a sustainable model. But I think the expectation of winning is really important. I think establishing what we did last year and coming into this year where people are like, ‘Oh, no, that’s what we’re expecting to do,’ makes it different. It’s always a different vibe whenever you feel like you’re the hunter versus being the hunted.”
For the first two months last season, the Mets were terrible hunters. Lindor was relentlessly booed at Citi Field during another slow start. The bullpen got crushed. The losses piled up. The Mets began the season 0-5 and sunk to rock bottom on May 29 when reliever Jorge Lopez threw his glove into the stands during a 10-3 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers that dropped the team to 22-33.
That night, the Mets held a players-only meeting. From there, perhaps coincidentally, everything changed. The Mets won the next day, and 67 of their final 107 games.
This year, to avoid an early malaise and to better incorporate new faces like Soto and Opening Day starter Clay Holmes, players made it a point to hold meetings during spring training to lay a strong foundation.
“At the end of the day, we know who we are and that’s the beauty of our club,” Alonso said. “Not just who we are talent-wise, but who each individual is as a man and a personality. For us, our major, major strength is our collective identity as a unit.”
Organizationally, the Mets are attempting a dual-track makeover: Becoming perennial World Series contenders while not taking themselves too seriously.
The commemorative purple Grimace seat installed at Citi Field in September — Section 302, Row 6, Seat 12 in right field — remains there as part of a two-year contract. Last week, the franchise announced it will feature a New York-city themed “Five Borough” race at every home game — with a different mascot competing to represent each borough. For a third straight season, USA Today readers voted Citi Field — home of the rainbow cookie egg roll, among many other innovative treats — as having the best ballpark food in baseball.
In the clubhouse, their identity is evolving.
“I’m very much in the camp that you can’t force things,” Mets starter Sean Manaea said. “I mean, you can, but you don’t really end up with good results. And if you wait for things to happen organically, then sometimes it can take too long. So, there’s like a nudging of sorts. It’s like, ‘Let’s kind of come up with something, but not force it.’ So there’s a fine balance there and you just got to wait and see what happens.”
Stearns believes it starts with what the Mets can control: bringing positive energy every day and fostering a family atmosphere. It’s hard to quantify, but vibes undoubtedly helped fuel the Mets’ 2024 success. It’ll be a tough act to follow.
“It’s fluid,” manager Carlos Mendoza said. “I like where guys are at as far as the team chemistry goes and things like that and the connections and the relationships. But it’ll continue to take some time. And winning helps, clearly.”
Kristian Campbell had just finished his news conference Saturday afternoon when he was getting ready to join a group photo with his parents and Boston Red Sox ownership.
He was standing between his mom and dad when his mother, Tonya, reached forward and adjusted the 22-year-old rookie’s sport jacket before the group looked at the photographer.
His bigger life-altering moment came earlier this week.
On Wednesday, he agreed to a $60 million, eight-year contract, less than a week after his major league debut.
“It was a life-changing opportunity for me and my family,” Campbell said. “It was something I couldn’t pass up.”
It was Boston’s second Fenway news conference on a signing in as many days, after the club held one for Garrett Crochet, who agreed to a $170 million, six-year contract. They acquired him in an offseason trade from the Chicago White Sox.
“We’ll keep doing this every day as long as people want to keep extending,” team CEO and president Sam Kennedy said.
“The word to describe your son around camp, from where I sit anyway, is humility,” Kennedy said, looking at Campbell’s mother and father, Kenneth, seated in the front row to his right. “That’s probably life’s greatest achievement, so congratulations.”
An infielder and outfielder, Campbell made his big league debut March 27 as Boston’s youngest Opening Day starter at second since Reggie Smith. He was slated to start in center on Saturday, but the game against the Cardinals was postponed due to rain.
“Here we are today, sharing what I would call a massively significant moment for this organization because Kristian was not drafted in the first round, he was not a top prospect entering the organization,” chief baseball officer Craig Breslow said. “What he was is a good player who made himself a great player because of his work ethic.”
Campbell is hitting .423 with two homers and five RBIs in eight games.
So, why did the club come to the decision to sign him to an extension so quickly?
“From a baseball sense, teams are getting better and better of forecasting what players are able to accomplish,” Breslow said.
For a player who was drafted in the fourth round two years ago from Georgia Tech, it was a rapid rise to the majors.
“They made the process really easy for me,” Campbell said. “They developed me from Day 1. As soon as I got drafted, made me who I am today.”
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
DENVER — Ryan McMahon took a one-hopper and turned it into three outs. It’s the first time he has been a part of a triple play.
The Colorado Rockies have the baseball from the fifth triple play in franchise history, just not the win as the Athletics rallied for a 7-4 victory on Saturday night.
For that, the Athletics can credit Jacob Wilson, who hit into the second-inning, 5-4-3 triple play. Wilson’s two-run double in the sixth dropped on the left-field line and gave the Athletics the lead after trailing 3-0.
“It felt, obviously, really good to be able to bounce back,” Wilson said. “That was kind of big for me.”
Here’s how the triple play unfolded: With two on, Wilson sent a chopper to McMahon and he fielded it with his momentum going toward the bag. McMahon stepped on third and quickly threw to second baseman Kyle Farmer, who tossed the ball to first baseman Michael Toglia.
One-two-three, just like that.
“Once I saw that I hit it pretty much almost right over third base, I was like, ‘All right, this is gonna to be bad,'” Wilson said. “But it’s something you’ve just got to let go. We ended up winning the game. Either way, I’m happy.”
For McMahon, this was a new experience at the hot corner.
“Never even attempted one before,” McMahon said of a triple play. “That was my first attempt.”
The previous time Colorado turned a triple play was Sept. 1, 2015, against Arizona. It was the first time the Athletics have hit into a triple play since Sean Murphy on June 20, 2021, at the New York Yankees.
Despite the triple play, the Rockies dropped their sixth straight game. The team is now 1-7, which is tied with the 2005 club for the worst mark through the opening eight games.
“We’re going to show up and play as hard as we can every single day,” McMahon said. “We’ve got a lot of guys in the locker room who care. … We’ll get our groove. We’ll get going, we’ll get the bats going, we’ll get the defense going, we’ll get the pitching going, we’ll get it all going.”