Connect with us

Published

on

Police have been scouring Richmond Park for fugitive terror suspect Daniel Abed Khalife, Sky News understands.

Officers were stationed at key entry and exit points into the early hours of Friday – with two police helicopters overhead.

Richmond Park, in southwest London, was closed during the operation, and the investigation was paused until daylight.

Daniel Khalife
Image:
Daniel Abed Khalife

Khalife, a 21-year-old former soldier, escaped from Wandsworth Prison on Wednesday morning.

He was working in the kitchen and wearing a chef’s uniform when he held on to straps underneath a food lorry to make his getaway.

Richmond Park is just a few miles away from the Category B prison, with detectives previously confirming they were focusing their search efforts in the area.

Map tracks police helicopter over Richmond Park
Image:
Maps tracking two separate police helicopters over Richmond Park. Pic: ADS-B Exchange

Police helicopter tracked over Rochmond Park
Image:
Pic: ADS-B Exchange

On Thursday night, Scotland Yard said there had been no confirmed sightings of Khalife since his escape despite the police receiving more than 50 calls from the public.

More on Daniel Abed Khalife

While investigators believe it is possible the terror suspect has already left the country, over 150 counterterrorism officers have been involved in a nationwide manhunt.

Chief inspector calls for prison to shut – manhunt latest

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Van used in prison escape caught on CCTV

A ‘very resourceful individual’

Commander Dominic Murphy, head of the Metropolitan Police’s Counter Terrorism Command, admitted the circumstances around Khalife’s disappearance were “a little unusual” and said the escape was “perhaps a testament” to his “ingenuity”.

He added: “We have some of the best military in the world here in the UK and he was a trained soldier.

“So ultimately he has skills perhaps some sections of the public don’t have.”

Click to subscribe to the Sky News Daily wherever you get your podcasts

Commander Murphy went on to describe Khalife as a “very resourceful individual” and said his escape “clearly” took some planning.

Officers are investigating whether he had any help, but no arrests have been made.

Map of HMP Wandsworth prison

Khalife is a former member of the Royal Signals who was based at Beacon Barracks in Stafford and was on remand awaiting trial accused of leaving fake bombs at a military base, a charge under the Terrorism Act, and another under the Official Secrets Act.

Read more:
What is life like at Wandsworth?

Notorious prison breakouts
Why wasn’t Khalife in Belmarsh?

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘Wandsworth prison needs closing’

‘It is not a suitable prison’

The incident has also sparked a row about HMP Wandsworth, which was built in 1851.

The most recent report by His Majesty’s Chief Inspectorate of Prisons said it “remains one of the most overcrowded prisons in the country, with most prisoners sharing a cell built for one”.

Map of HMP Wandsworth prison

Charlie Taylor, chief inspector of prisons, told Sky News he believes it should be shut down.

Speaking on the Politics Hub with Sophy Ridge, he said: “When you find a prison like Wandsworth, it really needs closing ultimately – it is not a suitable prison.

“In an ideal world one would, but of course you need jails because you need to service the courts.”

Continue Reading

UK

Labour MP Dan Norris arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences

Published

on

By

Labour MP Dan Norris arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences

Labour MP Dan Norris has been arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences.

A Labour Party spokesperson said: “Dan Norris MP was immediately suspended by the Labour Party upon being informed of his arrest.

“We cannot comment further while the police investigation is ongoing.”

Police said a man in his 60s had been arrested on Friday on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl, rape, child abduction and misconduct in a public office.

Sky News has contacted Mr Norris for comment.

Mr Norris, 65, defeated Jacob Rees-Mogg to win the new seat of North East Somerset and Hanham in last year’s general election.

He has also lost the party whip in the House of Commons and has stepped down from his role as chair of the League Against Cruel Sports.

Avon and Somerset Police said in a statement: “In December 2024, we received a referral from another police force relating to alleged non-recent child sex offences having been committed against a girl.

“Most of the offences are alleged to have occurred in the 2000s, but we’re also investigating an alleged offence of rape from the 2020s.

“An investigation, led by officers within Operation Bluestone, our dedicated rape and serious sexual assault investigation team, remains ongoing and at an early stage.

“The victim is being supported and given access to any specialist help or support she needs.

“A man, aged in his 60s, was arrested on Friday (April 4) on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl (under the Sexual Offences Act 1956), rape (under the Sexual Offences Act 2003), child abduction and misconduct in a public office. He’s been released on conditional bail for enquiries to continue.

“This is an active and sensitive investigation, so we’d respectfully ask people not to speculate on the circumstances so our enquiries can continue unhindered.”

Mr Norris first entered Parliament when Tony Blair came to power in 1997 and served as the Wansdyke MP until 2010.

He was an assistant whip under Mr Blair and served as a junior minister under Gordon Brown.

Mr Norris has also been West of England mayor since 2021 but is due to step down ahead of May’s local elections.

A spokesman for the League Against Cruel Sports, a UK-based animal welfare charity which campaigns to end sports such as fox hunting and game bird shooting, confirmed he had stepped down from his role.

“The charity cannot comment further while an investigation is ongoing,” a statement said.

Continue Reading

UK

Jaguar Land Rover to ‘pause’ US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Published

on

By

Jaguar Land Rover to 'pause' US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.

The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.

JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.

Follow live updates: Trump’s baseline 10% tariff kicks in

In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.

“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”

The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.

More on Donald Trump

JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.

“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.

Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.

All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.

Read more: A red wall on Wall Street – but Trump seems to believe it will work out

Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.

For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.

Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.

Continue Reading

UK

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Published

on

By

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.

In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.

Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.

They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.

The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.

Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.

“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.

Two fire crews remain at the scene.

Continue Reading

Trending