Downing Street has said it remains “committed” to the pensions triple lock amid a debate about its cost to the public purse.
The triple lock is a government promise to raise publicly funded pensions by the level of average earnings, inflation or 2.5% – whichever is the highest.
It means the state pension could rise by 8.5% next year after new data showed that average weekly earnings growth in the three months to July rose by that amount in annual terms.
The triple lock was designed to ensure people’s pensions were not affected by gradual rises in the cost of living over time.
But there have been questions as to whether the government would stick to the manifesto promise given that pay and inflation are running at higher levels than usual.
The Institute for Fiscal Studies said in a recent report that the lock’s annual cost for the Treasury could reach anywhere between an additional £5bn and £45bn a year by 2050 due to the uncertainty created by the terms of the policy.
More on Conservatives
Related Topics:
Critics also point to the impact the current cost of living crisis is having on working-age people who are having to contend with rent hikes and rising mortgage rates.
Labour has also refused to give a guarantee that it will be able to stick with the policy if it wins the next election.
Advertisement
Speaking to Sky News’ Politics Hub programme, shadow culture secretary Thangam Debbonaire said she wished she could give a “definitive answer” when pressed on the issue by Sophy Ridge.
But she said it would be “irresponsible” to make such a promise when there could be another year of Conservative economic policies.
“The fundamental principle that we are on the side of pensioners remains,” she added. “But we have got to try and find a way of balancing the economy for everyone.”
Politics Hub with Sophy Ridge
Sky News Monday to Thursday at 7pm.
Watch live on Sky channel 501, Freeview 233, Virgin 602, the Sky News website and app or YouTube.
Former Conservative chancellor, Lord Clarke, told Sky’s Sophy Ridge last week the government should ditch the lock.
Sunak’s Number 10 committed to policy
Number 10 today said it was sticking with the policy – although it refused to indicate how much the state pension will rise ahead of the “formal process” for uprating.
The prime minister’s official spokesman said: “You know there’s a formal process for this when it comes to uprating but we remain committed to the triple lock which has seen 200,000 pensioners lifted out of absolute poverty after housing costs are taken into account.”
Asked whether the average earnings figure of 8.5%, which includes bonuses, would be applied rather than a figure excluding bonuses, the official replied: “All those decisions on uprating are taken on a later date, later this year. I can’t pre-empt that work.”
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
1:15
Lord Clarke tells Sophy Ridge the pension triple lock ‘must go’
The spokesperson also said the government would ensure the state pension “remains sustainable and fair across generations”.
Pensions secretary suggests figures not settled
Mel Stride, the work and pensions secretary, suggested pensioners may not get the 8.5% increase in the state pension that earnings figures suggest.
He told BBC Radio 4’s World At One: “There clearly is a difference if you take into account the non-consolidated elements of pay in recent times, but these are all decisions that I have to take with the chancellor as part of a very clear process, a statutory process actually, that I go through in the autumn.
“So I didn’t want to get into the weeds of exactly how I’m going to go about that.
“But the overarching point about the triple lock is that we remain committed to it.”
Image: Mel Stride, the work and pensions secretary
Asked whether he was not ruling out using a lower figure based on earnings without bonuses – at 7.8% – he said: “I’m not going to get drawn into those kinds of questions.”
Triple lock could be Labour-Tory dividing line
The Tories have said they are committed to keeping the pledge after the next general election but Labour has so far refused to offer the same guarantee.
Shadow environment secretary Steve Reed said it was “very important that older people are able to live with decency and respect under all circumstances”.
But he added: “We need to see where we are by the time of the next election.”
Image: Prime Minister Rishi Sunak
“It was pretty much a year ago to the month when the Conservative government launched that disastrous mini-budget that crashed the economy and caused prices in the shops to rocket and interest rates to escalate beyond levels that people have seen for a decade,” he said.
“I can’t stand here and tell you what the Tories are going to do over the next year.
“So, we will need to look at where we are come the election. But, it will be in our next manifesto.”
Chancellor Jeremy Hunt said the latest earnings figures were “heartening” and that the number of employees on payroll was “close to record highs”.
“Wage growth remains high, partly reflecting one-off payments to public sector workers, but for real wages to grow sustainably we must stick to our plan to halve inflation,” he said.
But Labour’s deputy leader Angela Rayner said the UK had experienced “13 years of economic failure by the Conservatives, and people can see that their cost of living has increased”.
She said wage rises have not risen across the board while bills continue to rise, so “most people are still finding it incredibly difficult”.
Satoshi Nakamoto, the pseudonymous creator of Bitcoin, marks their 50th birthday amid a year of rising institutional and geopolitical adoption of the world’s first cryptocurrency.
The identity of Nakamoto remains one of the biggest mysteries in crypto, with speculation ranging from cryptographers like Adam Back and Nick Szabo to broader theories involving government intelligence agencies.
While Nakamoto’s identity remains anonymous, the Bitcoin (BTC) creator is believed to have turned 50 on April 5 based on details shared in the past.
According to archived data from his P2P Foundation profile, Nakamoto once claimed to be a 37-year-old man living in Japan and listed his birthdate as April 5, 1975.
Nakamoto’s anonymity has played a vital role in maintaining the decentralized nature of the Bitcoin network, which has no central authority or leadership.
The Bitcoin wallet associated with Nakamoto, which holds over 1 million BTC, has laid dormant for more than 16 years despite BTC rising from $0 to an all-time high above $109,000 in January.
Satoshi Nakamoto statue in Lugano, Switzerland. Source: Cointelegraph
Nakamoto’s 50th birthday comes nearly a month after US President Donald Trump signed an executive order creating a Strategic Bitcoin Reserve and a Digital Asset Stockpile, marking the first major step toward integrating Bitcoin into the US financial system.
Nakamoto’s legacy: a “cornerstone of economic sovereignty”
“At 50, Nakamoto’s legacy is no longer just code; it’s a cornerstone of economic sovereignty,” according to Anndy Lian, author and intergovernmental blockchain expert.
“Bitcoin’s reserve status signals trust in its scarcity and resilience,” Lian told Cointelegraph, adding:
“What’s fascinating is the timing. Fifty feels symbolic — half a century of life, mirrored by Bitcoin’s journey from a white paper to a trillion-dollar asset. Nakamoto’s vision of trustless, peer-to-peer money has outgrown its cypherpunk roots, entering the halls of power.”
However, lingering questions about Nakamoto remain unanswered, including whether they still hold the keys to their wallet, which is “a fortune now tied to US policy,” Lian said.
In February, Arkham Intelligence published findings that attribute 1.096 million BTC — then valued at more than $108 billion — to Nakamoto. That would place him above Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates on the global wealth rankings, according to data shared by Coinbase director Conor Grogan.
If accurate, this would make Nakamoto the world’s 16th richest person.
Despite the growing interest in Nakamoto’s identity and holdings, his early decision to remain anonymous and inactive has helped preserve Bitcoin’s decentralized ethos — a principle that continues to define the cryptocurrency to this day.
The United States stock market lost more in value over the April 4 trading day than the entire cryptocurrency market is worth, as fears over US President Donald Trump’s tariffs continue to ramp up.
On April 4, the US stock market lost $3.25 trillion — around $570 billion more than the entire crypto market’s $2.68 trillion valuation at the time of publication.
Nasdaq 100 is now “in a bear market”
Among the Magnificent-7 stocks, Tesla (TSLA) led the losses on the day with a 10.42% drop, followed by Nvidia (NVDA) down 7.36% and Apple (AAPL) falling 7.29%, according to TradingView data.
The significant decline across the board signals that the Nasdaq 100 is now “in a bear market” after falling 6% across the trading day, trading resource account The Kobeissi Letter said in an April 4 X post. This is the largest daily decline since March 16, 2020.
“US stocks have now erased a massive -$11 TRILLION since February 19 with recession odds ABOVE 60%,” it added. The Kobessi Letter said Trump’s April 2 tariff announcement was “historic” and if the tariffs continue, a recession will be “impossible to avoid.”
Even some crypto skeptics have pointed out the contrast between Bitcoin’s performance and the US stock market during the recent period of macro uncertainty.
Stock market commentator Dividend Hero told his 203,200 X followers that he has “hated on Bitcoin in the past, but seeing it not tank while the stock market does is very interesting to me.”
Meanwhile, technical trader Urkel said Bitcoin “doesn’t appear to care one bit about tariff wars and markets tanking.” Bitcoin is trading at $83,749 at the time of publication, down 0.16% over the past seven days, according to CoinMarketCap data.