Connect with us

Published

on

The Conservatives reportedly dropped two potential candidates to become MPs after MI5 warned that they could be spies for China.

The security service contacted the Tories last year and in 2021 advising the pair should not be included on the central list of candidates, according to The Times.

The newspaper reported the pair had linked to the United Front Work Department (UFWD) – China’s main agency for shaping public opinion.

It cited an unnamed source as saying: “It was made very clear that they posed a risk.

“They were subsequently blocked from the candidates list. They weren’t told why.”

A Conservative Party spokesman said: “When we receive credible information regarding security concerns over potential candidates we act upon them.”

The news comes in the wake of a parliamentary researcher arrested over allegations of spying for Beijing.

More on China

The researcher, who is in his 20s, is understood to have had links to security minister Tom Tugendhat, Foreign Affairs Committee chairwoman Alicia Kearns and other senior Tory MPs.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

China spy tensions in Westminster

In a statement released by his lawyers, the man – who they did not name – said he was “completely innocent” saying he spent his career “trying to educate others about the challenge and threats presented by the Chinese Communist Party”.

The man was arrested in Edinburgh on 13 March, Scotland Yard said.

The Sunday Times revealed that another man, who is in his 30s, was also arrested in Oxfordshire on the same day.

Both were held on suspicion of offences under Section 1 of the Official Secrets Act 1911, which punishes offences that are said to be “prejudicial to the safety or interests of the state”.

On Monday afternoon, Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle reassured MPs that the House “follows the same vetting procedures as the government” and parliamentary security “is working closely and effectively with other relevant authorities” – and keeping arrangements under review.

Sir Lindsay said a small number of people were briefed about the arrest “on a strictly confidential basis” – and warned members against prejudicing future prosecutions by discussing the matter in the House.

He said the pair were bailed until early in October.

Read more:
Lack of cyber security experts in Whitehall should ‘send chill down government’s spine’

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

PM on China: ‘We will defend our democracy’

Their arrests led to Rishi Sunak confronting Chinese premier Li Qiang at the G20 summit in India on Sunday over “unacceptable” interference in democracy.

The incident has also thrown a spotlight on the government’s stance towards China and raised questions about whether it should adopt a tougher approach.

Continue Reading

Politics

Nasdaq crypto chief pledges to ‘move as fast as we can’ on tokenized stocks

Published

on

By

Nasdaq crypto chief pledges to ‘move as fast as we can’ on tokenized stocks

The US Nasdaq stock exchange is making SEC approval of its proposal to offer tokenized versions of stocks listed on the exchange a top priority, according to the exchange’s crypto chief.

“We’ll just move as fast as we can,” Nasdaq’s head of digital assets strategy, Matt Savarese, said during an interview with CNBC on Thursday, when asked whether the SEC could approve the proposal this year.

“I think what we have to really evaluate where the public comments come back in and then answer and respond to the SEC questions as they come through,” Savarese said. “We hope to kind of work with them as quickly as possible,” Savarese said.

Savarese says Nasdaq isn’t “upending the system”

The proposal, submitted by Nasdaq on Sept. 8, is requesting to allow investors to buy and sell stock tokens — digital representations of shares in publicly traded companies — on the exchange.

Savarese emphasized that Nasdaq is not trying to overhaul the way stocks are invested in when asked whether he expects other major exchanges to follow suit.

Nasdaq, SEC, United States
Nasdaq’s head of digital assets, Matt Savarese, spoke to CNBC on Thursday. Source: CNBC

“We’re not looking at upending the system; we want everyone to come along for that ride and bring tokenization more into the mainstream,” he said.

“We want to do it in that responsible investor-led way first, under the SEC rules themselves,” he added.

It was only in October that Robinhood CEO Vlad Tenev said that tokenization will “eventually eat the whole financial system.”

The crypto industry is divided on tokenized equities

Savarese emphasized that Nasdaq is aiming to be an innovator in the ecosystem, noting that the exchange was the first to transition markets from paper-based trading to electronic systems.

Related: DATs bring crypto’s insider trading problem to TradFi: Shane Molidor

Tokenizing stocks has been one of the most significant talking points in the crypto industry this year.

On Sept. 3, Galaxy Digital CEO Mike Novogratz said the company became the first Nasdaq-listed company to tokenize its equity on a major blockchain following its launch on the Solana network.

The conversation around tokenized equities has also drawn skepticism from the crypto industry.

On Oct. 1, Rob Hadick, general partner at crypto venture firm Dragonfly, told Cointelegraph that tokenized equities will be a significant benefit to traditional markets, but may not be a boon to the crypto industry as others have predicted.

Hadick said that if tokenized stocks use layer-2 networks, it creates “leakage” as value and may not flow back to Ethereum or the broader crypto ecosystem as much as hoped.

Magazine: When privacy and AML laws conflict: Crypto projects’ impossible choice