Connect with us

Published

on

Consultants and junior doctors are set to strike for several more days this week and early next month, bringing more chaos to the NHS after several months of walkouts and delayed appointments.

Senior doctors are walking out on 19 and 20 September, as well as 2, 3 and 4 October. Meanwhile junior doctors, who have staged 19 days of strike action since March, will also strike on 20, 21 and 22 September and 2, 3 and 4 October.

A health chief said the NHS is in “uncharted territory” due to the strikes, with thousands of patient appointments expected to be cancelled.

Saffron Cordery, deputy chief executive of NHS Providers, said this week’s strike action “can’t become the status quo”.

When are the strikes?

Consultants are walking out on 19 and 20 September, as well as the 2, 3, and 4 October.

Junior doctors will strike on 20, 21 and 22 September and the 2, 3 and 4 October.

This means that Wednesday’s strike this week, plus the three days next month, will see both consultants and junior doctors absent from work on the same days.

Why are junior doctors striking?

The strikes are primarily over pay.

The government has implemented a 6% pay rise for consultants and 6% plus a lump sum of £1,250 for junior doctors and has said there will be no further offers.

The British Medical Association (BMA), meanwhile, is calling for “full pay restoration” back to 2008/09 levels, saying pay has been eroded over several years.

The BMA said the wage for junior doctors has fallen 26% in between 2008 and 2022, with newly qualified medics making less than a barista in a coffee shop.

It has demanded a 35% pay rise for junior doctors to bring salaries back to 2008-2009 levels, calling this “pay restoration”.

“The lack of investment in wages by the government has made it harder to recruit and retain junior doctors,” the BMA has previously said.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Dr Tal Ellenbogen tells Sky News ‘we are being set up to fail’

“If junior doctors are forced out of the NHS because of poor pay and conditions, the services we all rely on to look after our loved ones will suffer.”

On the picket lines of the March strike, junior doctors told Sky News why they were striking and described having to borrow money off family for medical exams, watching colleagues leave for better paid jobs abroad and how they were struggling to pay rent.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Junior doctors demand 35% pay rise

What impact is this going to have on the NHS?

Thousands of NHS appointments and operations could be delayed.

The service is expected to see a Christmas Day level of staffing when both consultants and junior doctors are off, with emergency care taking priority.

Ms Cordery said “it’s all hands on deck in trusts across the country”.

“This ‘double whammy’ of the first ever joint strikes by senior and junior doctors is the toughest test yet for trust leaders, ramping up pressure on already stretched services,” she said.

SHARE WITH SKY NEWS

You can share your story, pictures or video with us using our app, private messaging or email.

:: Your Report on Sky News apps

:: WhatsApp

:: Email

By sending us your video footage/ photographs/ audio you agree we can broadcast, publish and edit the material.

“Ten months of industrial action have seen almost one million routine appointments and procedures delayed.”

Earlier this week, NHS Providers said it had heard from one trust that it was having to reschedule care for more seriously ill patients who previously may have been protected from strike disruption.

Another trust is rescheduling appointments for patients already hit by strike action, while a third said it would deploy volunteers to support patients with meals and drinks as well as providing company in A&E departments during the strikes.

NHS Providers said the strikes are estimated to have cost the health service at least £1bn so far and trust leaders are worried that senior doctors are increasingly unwilling to cover shifts when junior doctors are striking.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Hundreds of operations cancelled

Why will this strike be particularly bad?

Wednesday marks the first time both consultants and junior doctors will walk out at the same time, leading to unprecedented pressure on the NHS.

Both junior and senior doctors will also be absent from work on the same days next month.

“Even when consultants go back to work on Thursday, junior doctors will be on strike until Friday with more strikes by both groups and radiographers planned for early October,” Ms Cordery said.

The October strike dates also coincide with the Conservative Party annual conference in Manchester.

Read more:
Emergency care to be prioritised
‘Huge concern’ over worst NHS strike yet

Share how this week’s strike action is impacting you with Sky News

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Junior doctors set for four days of strike action

Is this the first time doctors have gone on strike?

No – junior doctors who are members of the BMA have held a total of 19 strike days since March.

They first walked out for 72 hours from 13-15 March. During that strike, about 175,000 appointments and operations were postponed.

This week’s strike will be their sixth walk out.

Meanwhile, consultants previously walked out for 48 hours in July.

What does ‘junior doctor’ mean?

A junior doctor is a qualified doctor who has graduated from medical school and is on a training pathway to become a specialist or a GP, according to the BMA.

Full-time training can take between five and 11 years – more if it is done part-time.

Junior doctors make up around 45% of the NHS’s medical workforce and two-thirds of them are members of the BMA.

What has the government said about the strikes?

The prime minister’s official spokesman said on Monday: “These co-ordinated strikes will pose a huge challenge for the NHS and for patients, who will see their care significantly disrupted.”

Meanwhile, Health Secretary Steve Barclay was open to discussions about the “non-pay elements” of the BMA’s concerns but there were no plans to “revisit” the pay deal, the spokesman said.

Continue Reading

UK

Jaguar Land Rover to ‘pause’ US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Published

on

By

Jaguar Land Rover to 'pause' US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.

The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.

JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.

Follow live updates: Trump’s baseline 10% tariff kicks in

In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.

“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”

The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.

More on Donald Trump

JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.

“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.

Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.

All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.

Read more: A red wall on Wall Street – but Trump seems to believe it will work out

Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.

For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.

Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.

Continue Reading

UK

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Published

on

By

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.

In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.

Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.

They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.

The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.

Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.

“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.

Two fire crews remain at the scene.

Continue Reading

UK

Boy dies after ‘getting into difficulty’ in lake in southeast London

Published

on

By

Boy dies after 'getting into difficulty' in lake in southeast London

A 15-year-old boy has died after “getting into difficulty” in a lake in southeast London, police say.

Officers and paramedics were called shortly after 3pm on Friday to Beckenham Place Park in Lewisham.

The Metropolitan Police said a boy “was recovered from the lake” at around 10.42pm the same day.

“He was taken to hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead. His death is being treated as unexpected but not believed to be suspicious,” according to the force.

The boy’s family has been told and are being supported by specialist officers.

The force originally said the child was 16 years old, but has since confirmed his age as 15.

In the earlier statement, officers said emergency services carried out a search and the park was evacuated.

More from UK

google street view inside Beckenham Place park, Lewisham where a 16 y/o boy is missing after getting into difficulty in a lake
Image:
Emergency teams were called to Beckenham Place Park on Friday afternoon

Beckenham Place Park, which borders the London borough of Bromley, covers around 240 acres, according to the park’s website.

The lake is described as 285 metres long, reaching depths of up to 3.5 metres.

It is designed as a swimming lake for open-water swimming and paddle boarding.

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said on Friday: “We were called at 3.02pm this afternoon to reports of a person in the water.

“We sent resources to the scene, including an ambulance crew, an incident response officer and members of our hazardous area response team.”

Emergency teams have not explained how the boy entered the water, or whether he was accompanied by others.

Continue Reading

Trending