Oscar-winning actress Sophia Loren has had emergency surgery following a fall at her home.
The 89-year-old star, one of the most famous figures from Hollywood’s “golden age”, fractured her hip after falling in her bathroom at her house in Geneva, Switzerland, her representative told Sky News.
Loren sustained several “serious fractures” to different parts of her hip, including her femur, which needed “urgent surgery”, the star’s agent Andrea Giusti said.
Both of Loren’s sons, Carlo and Edoardo Ponti, were at her bedside following her surgery.
A social media post from the actress’s self-named chain of restaurants said her surgery had gone well, and that she would now be undergoing rehabilitation and “be back with us very soon”.
Loren had been due to open a Sophia Loren Restaurant in the Italian city of Bari this week, but the event has now been cancelled along with her other forthcoming engagements.
The Italian actress was married to film producer Carlo Ponti Sr from 1966 until his death in 2007.
Following early success in beauty pageants, Loren began her film career as a teenager, gaining international fame after winning a five-film deal with Paramount in 1956.
She went on to star in movies including The Pride And The Passion, Houseboat, and It Started in Naples.
Appearing opposite some of the biggest male stars of the time, including Marlon Brando, Frank Sinatra and Cary Grant, she famously refused to marry the latter, after a short but well-publicised affair.
Winning an Oscar for her performance as Cesira in 1960’s Two Women, directed by Vittorio De Sica, she became the first actor to win an Academy Award for a foreign-language performance.
In 1990, she also won an honorary award at the Oscars for being “one of the genuine treasures of world cinema” who has had a “career rich with memorable performances” and added “permanent lustre” to the industry.
Loren’s last appeared in 2020 Netflix film The Life Ahead, directed by her son Edoardo.
Grand Theft Auto VI: First trailer released early by Rockstar Games after leak
The first trailer has been released for the massively anticipated Grand Theft Auto VI.
It was put out a day earlier than expected after a leaked version went viral on social media on Monday.
Rockstar Games posted on X: “Our trailer has leaked so please watch the real thing on YouTube.”
The clip racked up 37 million views in just six hours such is the clamour for the game.
The top comment, liked 343,000 times, says: “We’ve waited 10 years for this moment and it’s finally here.”
GTAV is the best-selling title of all time behind Minecraft – with some 185 million units sold – but it’s been a decade since it came out.
The trailer for the sequel shows a clone of Miami, the setting for the 2002 game, and features classic elements: fast cars, gangs, shoot-outs – and even an alligator in a convenience store.
It’s also the debut of GTA’s first female protagonist, Lucia, alongside an unnamed male partner, with the couple apparently on the run as chaos engulfs the city.
The teaser will whet the appetite of gamers but they’ll have to wait at least another year – the credits confirming “coming 2025”.
Last year, 90 minutes of early gameplay leaked online after a hacker gained access to Rockstar’s Slack channel.
In one of the industry’s most high-profile breaches, dozens of videos showing various robberies, shoot-outs, and open-world driving were posted online.
Rockstar said it was “extremely disappointed” but insisted it wouldn’t affect the game’s development.
Jason Schreier, Bloomberg’s gaming journalist, previously told Sky News that GTAV’s popular multiplayer mode was one reason why there hadn’t been “quite the same urgency” to get the sequel out.
Earlier versions were released with much shorter gaps in between: GTA III in 2001, Vice City in 2002, San Andreas in 2004, and GTA IV in 2008.
Sky wins broadcast rights to show record number of Premier League matches – increasing coverage by 70%
Sky has won broadcast rights to show a record number of Premier League matches in a new four-year deal starting from 2025/26.
Sky Sports has retained the rights to four out of five packages – with the other being retained by TNT Sports – and means that exclusive live coverage will increase by 70%.
Sky Sports will retain its flagship Super Sunday programme, and for the first time, all final games in the season will be live in one place.
The new four-year deal will cover at least 215 Premier League matches each season from 2025/26 to 2028/29.
And in another first, Sky Sports will now be able to offer multiple live matches on a number of weekends at 2pm on Sundays.
The agreements will deliver a total of £6.7bn in revenue across the four-year period.
Dana Strong, group chief executive of Sky, said: “This is a fantastic result for Sky customers, who will see a significant increase in the number of matches from the most iconic league in the world.
“We are proud of our long history with the Premier League and look forward to delivering more engagement, entertainment and innovation to the end of the decade.
“Sky is the undisputed home for sport fans in the UK. Our customers have more of the sports they love and more long-term certainty than ever before, with an unrivalled volume of domestic football, alongside Formula 1, cricket, golf, rugby league, tennis and much more.”
Richard Masters, Premier League chief executive, said: “We are delighted to announce new deals with Sky Sports and TNT Sports that will extend our partnership for a further four years and see more Premier League matches than ever before shown live from 2025/26 onwards.
“As long-standing and valued partners, Sky Sports and TNT Sports are renowned for consistently delivering world-class coverage and programming.
“We are also extremely pleased to extend our partnership with BBC Sport, which will continue to bring weekly highlights of all Premier League matches to the widest possible audience in the UK.
“The outcome of this process underlines the strength of the Premier League and is testament to our clubs, players and managers who continue to deliver the world’s most competitive football in full stadiums, and to supporters, who create an unrivalled atmosphere every week.”
TNT Sports secured Package A, which includes 52 matches with the primary kick-off time being 12.30pm.
Within that, they get 18-second picks of matches, 14 fourth picks and all 20 of the fourth and fifth mid-week rounds in the season.
‘Leave me alone’: Billie Eilish hits out at magazine for ‘outing’ her
Singer Billie Eilish has accused a US entertainment magazine of outing her and questioned why it “matters”.
In a cover interview for Variety published on 13 November, the Bad Guy singer suggested she was attracted to women.
She told the outlet: “I’ve never really felt like I could relate to girls very well.
“I love them so much. I love them as people. I’m attracted to them as people. I’m attracted to them for real.”
In a Variety red carpet interview on Saturday, the star was asked about her sexuality, and added: “I didn’t realise people didn’t know.
“Why can’t we just exist? I’ve been doing this for a long time and I just didn’t talk about it.”
In an Instagram post on Sunday, the 21-year-old singer appeared to express her frustration.
She said: “Thanks Variety for my award and for also outing me on a red carpet at 11am instead of talking about anything else that matters I like boys and girls leave me alone about it please literally who cares.”
She also said she didn’t believe in the concept of “coming out”.
At the Variety ceremony, Eilish accepted the award for Film Song of the Year alongside her brother and collaborator Finneas for What Was I Made For from Barbie.
Variety’s publishers have been contacted by Sky News for comment.
Sports1 year ago
‘Storybook stuff’: Inside the night Bryce Harper sent the Phillies to the World Series
Sports9 months ago
MLB Rank 2023: Ranking baseball’s top 100 players
Environment7 months ago
Japan and South Korea have a lot at stake in a free and open South China Sea
Sports2 years ago
Team Europe easily wins 4th straight Laver Cup
Environment10 months ago
Game-changing Lectric XPedition launched as affordable electric cargo bike
Technology2 years ago
Game consoles were once banned in China. Now Chinese developers want a slice of the $49 billion pie
Politics2 years ago
Have the last few wobbly weeks seen a turning point for Johnson as PM?
Business1 year ago
Bank of England’s extraordinary response to government policy is almost unthinkable | Ed Conway