Connect with us

Published

on

Five Labour mayors have come together to appeal to the prime minister not to scrap the northern leg of HS2, saying such a move would lead to “economic damage” across the regions.

The future of the high-speed rail line has been in doubt over recent days after reports Rishi Sunak and his Chancellor Jeremy Hunt were planning to cancel the line between Birmingham and Manchester due to soaring costs.

But in a joint statement London’s Sadiq Khan, Great Manchester’s Andy Burnham, West Yorkshire’s Tracy Brabin, South Yorkshire’s Oliver Coppard and Liverpool’s Steve Rotheram said that without delivering the project in full, the government would “leave swathes of the North with Victorian transport infrastructure that is unfit for purpose”.

Politics live:
Braverman faces backlash over asylum speech

Mr Sunak did nothing to quell fears on Monday that he was preparing to either cancel or delay the line, and he has told allies he was not prepared to watch the cost continue to rise, according to The Times

The newspaper said he was concerned about a lack of cost controls and high salaries at the company overseeing the project after he was shown figures suggesting the overall price could top £100bn.

Mr Sunak is also said to be considering terminating the line in the west London suburb of Old Oak Common rather than in Euston, in the centre of the capital, to save money.

More on Birmingham

But the announcement, which had been expected ahead of the Conservative Party conference this weekend, has yet to surface.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Andy Burnham rages at HS2 scrapping rumours

In a statement released on Wednesday, the regional mayors said they had been “inundated” by concerns from businesses, and curtailing the line would mean HS2 would “fail to produce any meaningful economic benefit”.

“This government has said repeatedly that it is committed to levelling up in the Midlands and North,” they added.

“Failure to deliver HS2 and [Northern Powerhouse Rail] will leave swathes of the North with Victorian transport infrastructure that is unfit for purpose and cause huge economic damage in London and the South, where construction of the line has already begun.”

HS2 was first touted by Labour in 2009, but it was the coalition government that signed off on the plan, designed to connect the South, the Midlands and the North of England with state-of-the-art infrastructure.

If the Manchester leg is axed it would be the latest watering down of the project, with the eastern leg to Leeds scrapped entirely and work between Birmingham and Crewe delayed due to the impact of inflation.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Rishi Sunak on HS2 ‘speculation’

Some estimates have put the total cost at over £100bn, while the project has been rated “unachievable” by the infrastructure watchdog.

But as they asked for a meeting with Mr Sunak, the mayors said: “The UK does not need a new line that only goes from Birmingham to Old Oak Common, which is six miles from central London. Birmingham does not want this. London does not want this. This does nothing for the North of England.

“The full Y-shaped HS2 plan was designed to deliver economic benefit right across the country not only between the North and London, but between Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester and Birmingham. All of these gains look set to be lost if media reports this week are to be believed.”

They added: “It has been suggested that around £25bn has already been spent on HS2. We agree on the importance of ensuring public money is well spent but it will be an international embarrassment and a national outrage if all this gets us is a line that leads to journeys slower than the current one between Birmingham and London and nothing more.”

Politics Hub with Sophy Ridge

Politics Hub with Sophy Ridge

Sky News Monday to Thursday at 7pm.
Watch live on Sky channel 501, Freeview 233, Virgin 602, the Sky News website and app or YouTube.

Tap here for more

But it isn’t just Labour politicians angered by the possible downscaling of the project.

Tory former chancellor George Osborne and ex-Conservative deputy prime minister Lord Heseltine were among grandees warning that scrapping the Manchester route would be a “gross act of vandalism” which would mean “abandoning” the North and Midlands.

And Norman Baker, a former Lib Dem transport minister who signed off HS2 during the coalition government, called for an inquiry into the chaos of the project “to make sure it doesn’t happen again”.

Asked by Sky News on Wednesday whether HS2 would be given the green light to go to Manchester, Culture Secretary Lucy Frazer said it was “a decision for the chancellor”.

She added: “I’m sure the prime minister and chancellor listen to a wide variety of voices, but as you will know, it is the responsibility of government to keep all projects under consideration.

“And that is what the chancellor is doing, as he has done on all matters which are spending billions of pounds of taxpayer funding, looking at a whole range of projects to make sure they are value for money.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Nasdaq crypto chief pledges to ‘move as fast as we can’ on tokenized stocks

Published

on

By

Nasdaq crypto chief pledges to ‘move as fast as we can’ on tokenized stocks

The US Nasdaq stock exchange is making SEC approval of its proposal to offer tokenized versions of stocks listed on the exchange a top priority, according to the exchange’s crypto chief.

“We’ll just move as fast as we can,” Nasdaq’s head of digital assets strategy, Matt Savarese, said during an interview with CNBC on Thursday, when asked whether the SEC could approve the proposal this year.

“I think what we have to really evaluate where the public comments come back in and then answer and respond to the SEC questions as they come through,” Savarese said. “We hope to kind of work with them as quickly as possible,” Savarese said.

Savarese says Nasdaq isn’t “upending the system”

The proposal, submitted by Nasdaq on Sept. 8, is requesting to allow investors to buy and sell stock tokens — digital representations of shares in publicly traded companies — on the exchange.

Savarese emphasized that Nasdaq is not trying to overhaul the way stocks are invested in when asked whether he expects other major exchanges to follow suit.

Nasdaq, SEC, United States
Nasdaq’s head of digital assets, Matt Savarese, spoke to CNBC on Thursday. Source: CNBC

“We’re not looking at upending the system; we want everyone to come along for that ride and bring tokenization more into the mainstream,” he said.

“We want to do it in that responsible investor-led way first, under the SEC rules themselves,” he added.

It was only in October that Robinhood CEO Vlad Tenev said that tokenization will “eventually eat the whole financial system.”

The crypto industry is divided on tokenized equities

Savarese emphasized that Nasdaq is aiming to be an innovator in the ecosystem, noting that the exchange was the first to transition markets from paper-based trading to electronic systems.

Related: DATs bring crypto’s insider trading problem to TradFi: Shane Molidor

Tokenizing stocks has been one of the most significant talking points in the crypto industry this year.

On Sept. 3, Galaxy Digital CEO Mike Novogratz said the company became the first Nasdaq-listed company to tokenize its equity on a major blockchain following its launch on the Solana network.

The conversation around tokenized equities has also drawn skepticism from the crypto industry.

On Oct. 1, Rob Hadick, general partner at crypto venture firm Dragonfly, told Cointelegraph that tokenized equities will be a significant benefit to traditional markets, but may not be a boon to the crypto industry as others have predicted.

Hadick said that if tokenized stocks use layer-2 networks, it creates “leakage” as value and may not flow back to Ethereum or the broader crypto ecosystem as much as hoped.

Magazine: When privacy and AML laws conflict: Crypto projects’ impossible choice