Amber and yellow weather alerts for heavy downpours are in place across large parts of Scotland until Sunday morning – with a month’s worth of rain expected to fall in a single day.
Officers are urging drivers in Argyll and Bute not to travel at all – with flooding reported on roads nationwide.
Twitter
This content is provided by Twitter, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Twitter cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.
Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Twitter cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Twitter cookies for this session only.
Rail services have also been cancelled, and passengers in England are being urged not to travel to Scotland. Where services are running, reduced speeds are in operation.
Network Rail Scotland said its pumps in Clydebank had been “overwhelmed” by extreme rainfall – with water rising to window level on a train.
And while the mainline between Edinburgh and Glasgow Queen Street had temporarily been closed, engineers have now concluded it is safe for services to run.
Elsewhere on the trains:
Avanti West Coast is running no services north of Preston, causing knock-on delays elsewhere
London North Eastern Railway trains north of Newcastle have been cancelled
TransPennine Express is urging passengers not to travel on any of its routes to Scotland
ScotRail is warning of “significant disruption to services”, with some routes suspended
Sporting events have also been disrupted, with the third round of the Alfred Dunhill Links golf championship at St Andrews postponed until Sunday.
Dundee’s Scottish Premiership game with Ross County was called off due to a waterlogged pitch, one of many football matches affected.
Up to 180mm (8in) of rain has been forecast for parts of the Highlands, in what Scottish authorities are describing as a “major rainfall event”.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
0:50
Cars stranded in flooded roads in Scotland
Ruth Ellis, flood duty manager for the Scottish Environment Protection Agency, said: “We’re likely to see extensive river and surface water flooding impacts across those areas. Danger to life, widespread property flooding, flooding of roads and disruption to infrastructure is possible.”
SEPA currently has 17 flood alerts in force – alongside 53 flood warnings.
The agency went on to warn “this is not just a normal autumn flooding event” – and it was really concerned about families travelling during the school holidays, as some may currently be camping.
Image: A spectator struggles with his umbrella at the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship at St Andrews
Summer-like temperatures in the South
There is a substantial North/South divide in the weather this weekend.
Temperatures in South East England could reach 24C (75F) on Saturday and 25C (77F) on Sunday – with the Midlands and Wales also remaining sunny in unusual conditions for October.
Oli Claydon, a spokesman for the Met Office, said the fine and settled conditions will continue throughout the weekend, although there will be slightly more cloud and hazy sunshine on Sunday.
He added: “[It will be] dry for pretty much everyone in the southern half of the country and unseasonably warm temperatures as well.
“As we get into the very far North of England and into Scotland that’s where the difference starts, with some persistent and heavy rain across Scotland and mostly notably in western Scotland, where we’re likely to see the highest totals.”
Two people who died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness have been named by police.
Lincolnshire Police said 48-year-old Lee Baker and his 10-year-old daughter Esme Baker, both from the Nottingham area, were killed in the blaze.
However, formal identification is still yet to take place and “could take some time”, the force said.
Emergency services were alerted to a fire at Golden Beach Holiday Park, in the village of Ingoldmells, at 3.53am on Saturday.
In a statement issued through police, a member of the Baker family said: “Lee and Esme were excited to be spending the first weekend of the holidays together.
“We are all utterly devastated at what’s happened.
“This loss is incomprehensible at the moment, and we ask for people to give us space to process this utterly heartbreaking loss.”
A GoFundMe page set up for the victims’ family described the father and daughter as “two peas in a pod” who were “both happy-go-lucky people who loved life”. It has so far raised more than £3,000.
The police force, together with Lincolnshire Fire & Rescue, are continuing to investigate the cause of the blaze.
Detective Inspector Lee Nixon said: “We believe we might be close to arriving at a working hypothesis.
“We are working hard to validate the facts available to us to be able to provide answers for the family and loved ones of those who were very tragically taken by this fire.
“Yet the evident intensity of the fire has made this task incredibly challenging.”
Dan Moss, from Lincolnshire Fire & Rescue, said: “Our thoughts and deepest condolences are with the family at this time.
“Our Fire Investigation Team is working with colleagues from Lincolnshire Police, and a full investigation into the cause of the fire is ongoing.
“Once investigations are complete, local fire crews and our community fire safety team will be on hand to talk to people in the area and address any fire safety concerns they may have, at what will be an upsetting time.”
A man has been arrested by police investigating a “significant” wildfire that triggered a major incident in Northern Ireland.
More than 100 firefighters and 15 fire appliances were deployed on Saturday to Sandbank Road, Hilltown, to tackle the blaze which is believed to have been caused deliberately, fire chiefs said.
Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) said the fire had a front of approximately two miles “including a large area of forestry close to property”.
It was extinguished at 2.53am on Sunday and the major incident status lifted, the NIFRS said.
“The cause of this fire is believed to have been deliberate,” chief fire and rescue officer Aidan Jennings said.
The Police Service of Northern Ireland said on Sunday that a 25-year-old man had been arrested “on suspicion of arson being reckless as to whether life would be endangered, and non-related driving offences”.
“He remains in custody at this time as enquiries continue into the circumstances surrounding the fire,” the force added.
Image: The wildfire on Sandbank Road, Hilltown. Pic: Sky Watch NI
Image: More than 100 firefighters were at the scene of the fire. Pic: Sky Watch NI
On Saturday, helicopters were deployed to tackle Scotland’s fourth wildfire this week, with police saying a blaze “which started in the Newton Stewart area has spread northwards and is expected to reach the Loch Doon area of East Ayrshire around 12am on Sunday”.
Police Scotland added: “As a precautionary measure members of the public are asked to avoid the Loch Doon area and anyone who may be camping in the area is advised to leave.”
Image: Moors Valley Country Park blackened by fires this week
Elsewhere in England, Devon and Cornwall Police said they were assisting the fire service with temporary road closures on the A30 in the Bolventor area as they tackle “a number of fires” on moorland.
In Dorset, Moors Valley Country Park was forced to close after multiple wildfires broke out there on Wednesday.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
1:28
Wildfires spread across nature reserve
Separate incidents were then reported at Upton Heath in Poole on Wednesday, and nearby Canford Heath in the early hours of Thursday.
Friday was officially the warmest day of the year so far – with temperatures in the south of England reaching 23C (73.4F) – the highest since 21 September last year, according to the Met Office.
Police are investigating after a man was shot dead in County Durham.
Officers were called to an address in Elm Street, Stanley, at about 5.20pm on Saturday after reports of a “disturbance”, Durham Constabulary said.
A man in his 50s was found to have been shot and despite the efforts of paramedics he was pronounced dead at the scene.
His family have been told and are being supported by specially trained officers.
Specialist crime scene investigators are at the scene, and officers are carrying out house-to-house enquiries.
A cordon is in place and is expected to stay there for some time.
Detective Superintendent Neil Fuller said: “This is a truly shocking incident in which a man has been shot and has sadly died.”
He added: “Residents may see an increased police presence in the area. I would like to thank them for their support while we carry out this investigation.
“Our thoughts are with the man’s family at this time.”