Connect with us

Published

on

Hamas has said it will execute an Israeli hostage in response to any new Gaza Strip bombings that come without a pre-warning – moments after a senior figure from the group told Sky News civilian captives would be treated “humanely”.

Doctor Basem Naim, Hamas’s head of political and international relations, also claimed to Sky’s Mark Austin that the group has not “killed any civilians” since its militants crossed the border from the Gaza Strip and launched a surprise attack on Israel on Saturday.

Asked how many hostages the militant group had taken and brought into the Strip, Dr Naim said he couldn’t confirm an exact number, but said they would be treated in a “humane way, a proper way”.

He said he can “100% guarantee” they will be safe and orders have been given to fighters to not kill or harm elderly people, women or children.

However, moments later another Hamas official said it would begin executing Israeli civilian captives in return for any Israeli bombing of civilian houses in the Gaza Strip without warning.

Sky News understands Qatar is mediating between sides for an exchange of civilian hostages, including women and children.

The attack on Saturday morning took Israel by surprise.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the attack would “change the Middle East”.

“I know you have been through terrible and difficult things,” he told authorities from the south of the country. “What Hamas will go through will be difficult and terrible.

“We have only just begun.”

More than 1,000 Palestinian targets hit – follow live updates

His comments came before at least 100 bodies were recovered from Be’eri, a community in southern Israel that was seized by Hamas, rescue workers have told TV channels in the country.

Earlier on Monday, rescuers said they had recovered at least 260 bodies from the site of a music festival in Israel that was attacked by Hamas during its incursion.

However, Dr Naim had earlier told Sky News: “We have not killed any civilians.”

He added that he did not consider anyone “carrying guns” as a civilian.

Dr Naim said: “We have responded to 75 years of occupation, we have responded to 17 years of a suffocating siege, the silent killing of 2.3 million Palestinians.”

He says people in the Gaza Strip, controlled by Hamas, are “always under attack” and “never safe”.

“We are living in the biggest open-air prison. You have to choose either to die by F-35 or F-16 or to die silently of malnutrition,” he added.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

How Hamas attack unfolded – and the response

The two days of violence between Israel and Hamas has reportedly left at least 900 Israelis and 500 Palestinians dead so far.

Meanwhile, Israel has also ordered a “complete siege” of the Gaza Strip, the Palestinian territory governed by Hamas, leaving it with no food, electricity or fuel.

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres later said he was “deeply distressed” by Israel’s decision to impose the siege.

It comes as Israeli forces continue to fight Hamas militants in two locations inside Israel after formally declaring war on the Palestinian militant group.

Around 300,000 reservists have been called up by the Israeli military as defence minister Yoav Gallant said his country was “battling beastly people” after Hamas launched its surprise attack from Gaza on Saturday.

Israeli authorities said a “huge rocket barrage” was fired at the country on Monday, with media in the country reporting that it came from Hamas-controlled areas.

Meanwhile, the Israeli military said it had hit more than 1,000 targets inside the Gaza Strip on Monday.

Read more:
How Hamas misled Israel for months to pull off attack
Grandmother taken by Hamas ‘suffering every minute’

Doron Spielman, a spokesperson for the Israel Defence Forces (IDF), said there is still active fighting with Hamas militants “constantly trying to cross over” the border.

“We expect this to continue because there’s a massive number of jihadis that have been trained to do this,” he told NBC.

This is despite Israeli troops having regained control in some areas of southern Israel.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Israeli military strikes targets across Gaza

The IDF has also said it is conducting strikes inside Lebanese territory. It said details would follow but provided no more information.

The strikes come after a number of reports of firefights on the border with Lebanon, with the IDF claiming it had killed “a number” of “infiltrators”.

The Lebanon-based Hezbollah group, which is backed by Iran, said it had not attempted any incursion.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Moments after rocket hits Israeli city

More than 10 Britons are feared dead or missing in Israel, Sky News understands.

At least nine Americans have been confirmed dead with a further three missing.

Continue Reading

World

Donald Trump revokes Secret Service protection for former vice president Kamala Harris

Published

on

By

Donald Trump revokes Secret Service protection for former vice president Kamala Harris

US President Donald Trump has revoked Secret Service protection for former vice president and 2024 Democratic rival Kamala Harris.

A senior adviser to Ms Harris, Kirsten Allen, confirmed the decision. “The vice president is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety,” said the adviser.

Typically, vice presidents receive a six-month security detail from the Secret Service after they leave office, although it had been extended to 18 months for Ms Harris, according to officials.

Initially, then-president Joe Biden extended her security arrangements to one year, or January 2026, according to reports.

However, a Secret Service official told Sky News’ US partner, NBC, that Mr Biden subsequently signed an executive memorandum in January increasing the then vice-president’s protection period even further, to 18 months.

Former US presidents receive Secret Service protection for life.

Read more from Sky News:
Ed Davey has written to King to explain Trump dinner boycott
Thai prime minister sacked for ethics violation

Revoking Harris’ federal protection will be deemed ‘malicious’ by Trump’s critics

We don’t know why the former vice president’s Secret Service protection has been revoked – the White House gave no explanation.

We do know why former president Joe Biden extended it from the usual six months to 18 months before he left office.

Such decisions tend to be based on advice from the Department of Homeland Security, determined by the perceived threat level.

Kamala Harris isn’t just a former vice president of the United States. She was the first woman and first African American to hold that office.

In addition to that, she was the Democratic candidate in last year’s election – the battle against Donald Trump raising her profile even higher.

By early 2025, she had plans for a book tour. Her memoir, 107 Days, marking the short period of her candidature, is due out next month.

Extending federal protection would have bolstered Ms Harris’ safety during extensive public appearances.

In short, the extension reflected heightened security needs – her symbolic status and increased visibility from upcoming public engagements.

But the White House has pulled her Secret Service security detail, a move that will be deemed malicious by the president’s critics.

Ms Harris, who lost the 2024 presidential election to Mr Trump, is due to start a book tour for her memoir, 107 Days, shortly.

She was the Democratic nominee for 107 days after Mr Biden exited the race in the weeks following a challenging debate against Mr Trump.

Mr Trump has also ended federal security protection for others, including former national security adviser John Bolton. Last week, FBI agents raided Mr Bolton’s Maryland home.

In March, the president ended protection for Mr Biden’s children, Hunter and Ashley Biden.

Ms Harris has not ruled out a possible presidential run in 2028. She announced in July that she would not run for governor of California in 2026.

Continue Reading

World

Thai prime minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra sacked for ethics violation after leaked phone call

Published

on

By

Thai prime minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra sacked for ethics violation after leaked phone call

Thailand’s prime minister has been sacked after a leaked phone call with a senior Cambodian politician caused outrage.

Paetongtarn Shinawatra, who was Thailand’s youngest PM, has been dismissed from office by the country’s Constitutional Court after only a year in power.

The court found Ms Shinawatra, 39, violated ethics in a leaked June telephone call, during which she appeared to kowtow to Cambodia’s former leader Hun Sen as the bordering countries were on the verge of an armed conflict.

She also criticised a Thai army commander – a taboo move in a country where the military is extremely influential.

Fighting erupted weeks later and lasted five days. At least 35 people were killed and more than 260,000 were displaced.

Ms Shinawatra, who was new to politics when she took office in August last year, apologised over the call and said she was trying to avert a war. She was suspended in July.

Ms Shinawatra arriving at Government House in Bangkok ahead of the verdict on Friday. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Ms Shinawatra arriving at Government House in Bangkok ahead of the verdict on Friday. Pic: Reuters

She is now the fifth Thai PM from, or backed by, the billionaire Shinawatra family to be removed by the military or the judiciary in 17 years, amid a battle for power between the country’s warring elites.

The ruling thrusts Thailand into more political uncertainty at a time of public unease over stalled reforms and a stuttering economy.

The decline of Thailand’s most powerful political dynasty

This is a damning verdict for the Thai prime minister.

Paetongtarn Shinawatra said she “acted with the purest of intentions” and that she hoped for political unity.

But with one phone call, she has pushed Thailand to the brink of a political crisis.

It was a naive and explosive mistake. And it couldn’t have happened at a worse time.

Right now, the kingdom is facing massive insecurity.

Border tensions with Cambodia could erupt again at any point and it is just weeks since the two sides were exchanging fire.

Thailand needs strong and definite leadership. Instead, it now has months of jeopardy.

Paetongtarn is now the fifth leader to be removed from office by the constitutional court in just 17 years.

But her particular ouster is part of a much bigger story – the decline of Thailand’s most powerful political dynasty.

Last week, her father Thaksin was cleared of insulting the monarchy.

But he faces more court cases and the misstep by his daughter threatens to severely weaken their political domination as a family.

Pateongtarn crossed a red line for Thais – insulting the all-important military.

She clearly trusted “uncle” Hun Sen. She shouldn’t have.

His revenge leak has unseated her and her nation.

Now comes a messy grappling to fill the power vacuum she leaves behind.

Speaking after the court’s decision, the exiting PM said “all sides” in Thai politics now “have to work together to build political stability and to ensure that there won’t be another turning point again”.

The focus will now shift to who will replace Ms Shinawatra.

Her influential, billionaire father, Thaksin Shinawatra, who also once served as Thailand’s PM, is expected to be at the heart of a flurry of bargaining to keep the ruling Pheu Thai party in power.

Follow The World
Follow The World

Listen to The World with Richard Engel and Yalda Hakim every Wednesday

Tap to follow

Read more:
What happened between Thailand and Cambodia
Drug epidemic sweeps Southeast Asia

The leader of the main opposition People’s Party has called for the next prime minister to dissolve parliament once they are installed.

The deputy PM, Phumtham Wechayachai, and the current cabinet will act as government caretakers until a new leader is elected by parliament. There is no time limit on when that must take place.

Continue Reading

World

Vladimir Putin may be playing for time while he carries on beating down Ukraine’s will to win

Published

on

By

Vladimir Putin may be playing for time while he carries on beating down Ukraine's will to win

After all those raised hopes of peace, Ukraine has been hit by the second-worst night of Russian air attacks since the war began.

So much for diplomacy, despite the Alaska summit, then the Washington DC meeting.

The Kremlin says it was aiming at military targets, but yet again, the pictures tell a very different story.

Follow latest: UK summons Putin’s ambassador

Firefighters work at the site of a burning building after a Russian attack in Kyiv, Ukraine. Pic: AP
Image:
Firefighters work at the site of a burning building after a Russian attack in Kyiv, Ukraine. Pic: AP

One civilian building after another was hit, more than a dozen people were killed, and British Council and EU buildings were also damaged.

So what’s going on? Why is Vladimir Putin doing it?

Because he can.

The Russian president thinks he’s winning this war, and it’s hard to escape the conclusion that he’s using diplomacy to play for time while he carries on beating down the Ukrainians’ will to win.

And at the moment, no one is stopping him

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

At least 14 killed in Kyiv attack

Ukraine is hitting back, particularly at Russia‘s oil installations, more of them going up in thick black smoke, after being hit by long-range Ukrainian drones.

It is taking a heavy toll on Putin’s ‘Achilles heel’, but on its own, analysts don’t expect it will be enough to persuade him to end this war.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

British Council building hit in Kyiv

The West can wring its hands in condemnation.

But it’s divided between Europe that wants a ceasefire and much more severe sanctions, and Donald Trump, who, it seems, does not – strangely always willing to sympathise with the Russians more than Ukraine.

He’s back to blaming Ukraine for starting the war, saying earlier in the week that Kyiv should not have got into a war it had no chance of winning.

It is a grotesque perversion of history. Ukraine, of course, had no choice but to fight to defend itself when it was invaded in an act of unprovoked aggression.

Every time the US president has condemned Russia for these kinds of attacks, he has never followed through and done nothing to punish them.

Rescue workers carry an injured woman after a Russian strike on Kyiv, Ukraine. Pic: AP
Image:
Rescue workers carry an injured woman after a Russian strike on Kyiv, Ukraine. Pic: AP

More worryingly for the Ukrainians, the Russians are getting the upper hand in the drones war, taking Iranian technology and souping it up into faster-moving drones that the Ukrainians are having increasing difficulty bringing down.

They expect as many as a thousand drones a night coming their way by the winter, and many, many more innocents to die.

Next week, Putin will join Chinese and North Korean leaders in a summit in Beijing, both supporting his war in Ukraine.

(L-R) Vladimir Putin, Xi Jinping and Kim Jong Un. Pics: Reuters
Image:
(L-R) Vladimir Putin, Xi Jinping and Kim Jong Un. Pics: Reuters

Read more from Dominic Waghorn:
Ukrainians warn they’re in danger of losing drone arms race
We are further away from peace now than we were two weeks ago

Follow The World
Follow The World

Listen to The World with Richard Engel and Yalda Hakim every Wednesday

Tap to follow

A war that began as one man’s mad idea has, in three and a half years, metastasised into a titanic struggle between east and west, fought increasingly with machines in a dystopian evolution of war.

If Mr Trump is not prepared to use his power to bring this war to an end, what will another three and a half years of his presidency bring?

It is a chilling question.

Continue Reading

Trending