Connect with us

Published

on

A British man is missing after Hamas attacked a music festival in Israel, the country’s embassy in the UK has told Sky News.

Jake Marlowe, 26, has not been heard from since Saturday morning, the embassy said.

It said he was “missing near Gaza” after the attack on the festival in southern Israel.

Read more: Women and children among hostages, says Israel – follow live

Jake Marlowe's friends issued an appeal for help finding him: Pic: Facebook
Image:
Jake Marlowe’s friends issued an appeal for help finding him: Pic: Facebook

It is understood that the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office is in contact with and assisting the families of several people in Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories.

Mr Marlowe’s mother told the Jewish News her son was working as part of the security team at the dance festival near Re’im – a village close to the Gaza border.

“He was doing security at this rave and called me at 4.30am to say all these rockets were flying over,” she said.

“Then, at about 5.30am, he texted to say, ‘signal very bad, everything OK, will keep you updated I promise you,’ and that he loves me.”

Israeli soldiers drive military jeeps as they search the area following what the Israeli army said was a rocket fired from the Gaza Strip landing in an open area, near Re'im in southern Israel, October 6, 2016. REUTERS/Amir Cohen
Image:
Israeli soldiers search the area around Re’im, near where the festival took place


She said her son lived in Ma’alot, in northern Israel, having moved to the country permanently two years ago.

Other people at the festival told Israeli media how the music was interrupted by air raid sirens, before Hamas militants opened fire.

“The music stopped and there was a rocket siren,” a woman told Israel’s N12 News.

“Suddenly, out of nowhere, they started shooting.”

Read more:
Israel PM warns people to leave Gaza as he vows revenge
London police step up patrols after attack ‘celebrations’
What next for Israel and Palestine?

Another party-goer, Esther Borochov, said a car rammed her vehicle as she tried to escape.

She said she played dead until Israeli soldiers arrived: “I couldn’t move my legs,” she told Reuters news agency.

“Soldiers came and took us away to the bushes.”

Meanwhile, German media reported that German citizen Shani Louk is among those missing.

The fate of the young woman, who is reported to have been kidnapped by Hamas militants, has not been confirmed.

The woman’s mother has appealed for any information about her daughter’s whereabouts in a video posted on social media.

The mother said she could “clearly recognise” her daughter in a video being widely circulated online.

In an interview with German newspaper Bild, relatives in Germany said they hoped Ms Louk is alive and will be released.

It also emerged on Sunday that a British man serving in the Israeli army had been killed in an attack by Hamas militants.

Nathanel Young, 20, died on Saturday, the Israel Defence Forces said
Image:
Nathanel Young, 20, died on Saturday, the Israel Defence Forces said

Corporal Nathanel Young, 20, from London, was a soldier in the 13th Battalion, according to the Israeli Defence Forces.

He was living in a home for lone IDF soldiers in Raanana, north of Tel Aviv, according to the Jewish News.

His family said on Facebook they were “heartbroken” and that he had been killed “on the Gaza Border yesterday [Saturday].”

Soldiers and civilians kidnapped

The Israeli embassy to the US said women and children were among more than 100 soldiers and civilians kidnapped by Hamas fighters and that active hostage situations were “ongoing”.

Tzipi Hotovely, Israel’s ambassador to the UK, told Sky News on Sunday that her country was “doing everything to make sure all the people being kept hostage at the moment in the hands of Hamas will be released”.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘We woke up to a nightmare’

Ms Hotovely said Israel had woken to a “nightmare” after Hamas launched its surprise attack on Saturday.

She said 300 Israelis were “brutally, barbarically murdered in cold blood” by people who planned the most “calculated way” to invade.

Children were taken from their homes to Gaza, while people with dementia were “taken hostage”, she added.

On Sunday afternoon, Israeli media reported that 500-600 of the country’s citizens had died.

Meanwhile, an Israeli military official said “hundreds” of Hamas militants had been killed and dozens captured in retaliatory attacks.

The Palestinian health ministry said on Sunday afternoon that at least 370 people had been killed in Gaza and about 2,200 wounded.

Continue Reading

World

Boy, 8, killed in US Catholic school shooting named – as victim’s father brands attacker ‘a coward’

Published

on

By

Boy, 8, killed in US Catholic school shooting named - as victim's father brands attacker 'a coward'

An eight-year-old boy killed in the US Catholic school shooting has been named – as his father branded the attacker a “coward”.

Fletcher Merkel was one of two children killed during mass at Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis on Wednesday.

Eighteen other people were injured, including children aged between six and 15 and three adults in their 80s.

Police said Robin Westman, a male born as Robert Westman, opened fire with a rifle through the windows of the school’s church as children sat in pews.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

New details released of US school shooting

Dad says ‘Fletcher loved his family’

In a statement reported by Sky’s US partner network NBC News, Fletcher’s father Jesse Merkel blamed the “coward” killer for why the boy’s family can’t “hold him, talk to him, play with him, and watch him grow into the wonderful young man he was on the path to becoming”.

He added: “Fletcher loved his family, friends, fishing, cooking, and any sports that he was allowed to play.

“While the hole in our hearts and lives will never be filled, I hope that in time, our family can find healing.”

Mr Merkel said he prayed the family of the 10-year-old victim – who has not been identified – would also find peace.

“I’ve heard many stories accounting the swift and heroic actions of children and adults alike from inside the church,” he added.

“Without these people and their selfless actions, this could have been a tragedy of many magnitudes more. For these people, I am thankful.”

Families and loved ones reunite at the scene after the shooting. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Families and loved ones reunite at the scene after the shooting. Pic: Reuters

Mayor calls for assault weapon ban

It comes after Minneapolis mayor Jacob Frey called for a statewide and federal ban on assault weapons, a day after the deadly school shooting.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Minneapolis mayor urges assault weapons ban

“Thoughts and prayers are not going to cut it. It’s on all of us to see this through,” the mayor said at a news conference. “We need a statewide and a federal ban on assault weapons.

“We need a statewide and a federal ban on high-capacity magazines. There is no reason that someone should be able to reel off 30 shots before they even have to reload.

“We’re not talking about your father’s hunting rifle gear. We’re talking about guns that are built to pierce armour and kill people.”

Meanwhile, Minneapolis police chief Brian O’Hara gave an update on the investigation, saying the suspect had fired 116 rifle rounds into the church.

“It is very clear that this shooter had the intention to terrorise those innocent children,” he added, before saying the killer “fantasised” about the plans of other mass shooting attackers and wanted to “obtain notoriety”.

Read more from Sky News:
Man ‘who impersonated Michael Jackson’ was ‘unfairly dismissed’
Concern as British couple detained in Iran ‘whisked’ to courtroom

Follow The World
Follow The World

Listen to The World with Richard Engel and Yalda Hakim every Wednesday

Tap to follow

Thomas Klemond, interim CEO of Minneapolis’s main trauma hospital Hennepin Healthcare, said at an earlier news conference that the hospital was treating nine patients injured in the shooting.

One child at the hospital was in a critical condition, he added.

Children’s Minnesota Hospital also said that three children remain in its care as of Thursday morning.

Continue Reading

World

New details released about killer in Catholic school shooting in US

Published

on

By

New details released about killer in Catholic school shooting in US

Police have released new details about the killer in the US Catholic school shooting – including that they “idolised” mass murderers and they wanted to “watch children suffer”.

Two children, aged eight and 10, were killed during mass at Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis on Wednesday.

Eighteen other people were injured, including children aged between six and 15 and three adults in their 80s.

Police said Robin Westman, a male born as Robert Westman, opened fire with a rifle through the windows of the school’s church as children sat in pews.

Robin Westman
Image:
Robin Westman

Almost 120 rifle rounds fired, police chief says

In a news conference on Thursday, Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara said the attacker fired 116 rifle rounds into the church.

“It is very clear that this shooter had the intention to terrorise those innocent children,” he added.

The police chief said the killer “fantasised” about the plans of other mass shooting attackers and wanted to “obtain notoriety”.

When asked about the attacker obtaining the firearms used legally, Mr O’Hara said that they did not have a criminal history or any diagnosed mental health disorders.

While they had potentially concerning social media posts, the police chief added that there was no evidence to suggest that Westman was legally barred from purchasing a firearm.

People mourn outside the Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis. Pic: Reuters
Image:
People mourn outside the Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis. Pic: Reuters

Suspect ‘wanted to watch children suffer’

Joe Thompson, acting US attorney for Minnesota, also said evidence recovered of the killer’s plans showed “pure indiscriminate hate” and that they “idolised some of the most notorious school shooters and mass murderers in our country’s history”.

“I won’t dignify the shooter’s words by repeating them,” Mr Thompson added. “They are horrific and vile, but in short, the shooter wanted to watch children suffer.”

Earlier, the mayor of Minneapolis called for a statewide and federal ban on assault weapons after the deadly attack, saying “thoughts and prayers are not going to cut it”.

“There is no reason that someone should be able to reel off 30 shots before they even have to reload,” he said.

“We’re not talking about your father’s hunting rifle gear. We’re talking about guns that are built to pierce armour and kill people.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Minneapolis mayor urges assault weapons ban

Thomas Klemond, interim CEO of Minneapolis’s main trauma hospital Hennepin Healthcare, said at a news conference earlier that the hospital was treating nine patients injured in the shooting.

One child at the hospital was in a critical condition, he added.

Children’s Minnesota Hospital also said that three children remain in its care as of Thursday morning.

Read more from Sky News:
Cost of weight-loss drug to be discounted in UK pharmacies
What could happen next at Man Utd after Grimsby humiliation
UN staff pressure human rights chief to call Gaza a genocide

Follow The World
Follow The World

Listen to The World with Richard Engel and Yalda Hakim every Wednesday

Tap to follow

In a post on Facebook, the hospital said “there are no words to describe the overwhelming pain many are feeling”, adding: “We feel that pain with you.

“To the entire Annunciation community, you have our deepest condolences. During this time of unimaginable grief and loss, we want you to know that we at Children’s Minnesota are with you.

“We will always be here to care for you. And in this moment, we hurt alongside you.”

Continue Reading

World

Vladimir Putin may be playing for time while he carries on beating down Ukraine’s will to win

Published

on

By

Vladimir Putin may be playing for time while he carries on beating down Ukraine's will to win

After all those raised hopes of peace, Ukraine has been hit by the second-worst night of Russian air attacks since the war began.

So much for diplomacy, despite the Alaska summit, then the Washington DC meeting.

The Kremlin says it was aiming at military targets, but yet again, the pictures tell a very different story.

Follow latest: UK summons Putin’s ambassador

Firefighters work at the site of a burning building after a Russian attack in Kyiv, Ukraine. Pic: AP
Image:
Firefighters work at the site of a burning building after a Russian attack in Kyiv, Ukraine. Pic: AP

One civilian building after another was hit, more than a dozen people were killed and British Council and EU buildings were also damaged.

So what’s going on? Why is Vladimir Putin doing it?

Because he can.

The Russian president thinks he’s winning this war, and it’s hard to escape the conclusion that he’s using diplomacy to play for time while he carries on beating down the Ukrainians will to win.

And at the moment, no one is stopping him

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

At least 14 killed in Kyiv attack

Ukraine is hitting back, particularly at Russia‘s oil installations, more of them going up in thick black smoke, after being hit by long-range Ukrainian drones.

It is taking a heavy toll on Putin’s ‘Achilles heel’, but on its own, analysts don’t expect it will be enough to persuade him to end this war.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

British Council building hit in Kyiv

The West can wring its hands in condemnation.

But it’s divided between Europe that wants a ceasefire and much more severe sanctions, and President Trump, who, it seems, does not – strangely always willing to sympathise with the Russians more than Ukraine.

He’s back to blaming Ukraine for starting the war, saying earlier in the week that Kyiv should not have got into a war it had no chance of winning.

It is a grotesque perversion of history. Ukraine, of course, had no choice but to fight to defend itself when it was invaded in an act of unprovoked aggression.

Every time the US president has condemned Russia for these kinds of attacks, he has never followed through and done nothing to punish them.

Rescue workers carry an injured woman after a Russian strike on Kyiv, Ukraine. Pic: AP
Image:
Rescue workers carry an injured woman after a Russian strike on Kyiv, Ukraine. Pic: AP

More worryingly for the Ukrainians, the Russians are getting the upper hand in the drones war, taking Iranian technology and souping it up into faster-moving drones that the Ukrainians are having increasing difficulty bringing down.

They expect as many as a thousand drones a night coming their way by the winter, and many, many more innocents to die.

Next week, Putin will join Chinese and North Korean leaders in a summit in Beijing, both supporting his war in Ukraine.

(L-R) Vladimir Putin, Xi Jinping and Kim Jong Un. Pics: Reuters
Image:
(L-R) Vladimir Putin, Xi Jinping and Kim Jong Un. Pics: Reuters

Read more from Dominic Waghorn:
Ukrainians warn they’re in danger of losing drone arms race
We are further away from peace now than we were two weeks ago

Follow The World
Follow The World

Listen to The World with Richard Engel and Yalda Hakim every Wednesday

Tap to follow

A war that began as one man’s mad idea has, in three and a half years, metastasised into a titanic struggle between east and west, fought increasingly with machines in a dystopian evolution of war.

If President Trump is not prepared to use his power to bring this war to an end, what will another three and a half years of his presidency bring?

It is a chilling question.

Continue Reading

Trending